Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sonoma West: Four candidates vie for three city council spots

The Sonoma West just published an article about the 4 Sebastopol City Council candidates. All three incumbents are running plus newcomer Vaughn Higginbotham.

Here's the section that talks about Vaughn:

Vaughn Higginbotham

Higginbotham, 22, graduated from Analy High School in 2014 and considers Sebastopol his hometown. He is a volunteer firefighter for the Bodega Fire Department and an entrepreneur with an iPhone repair business.

Higginbotham said his interest in government began during high school. He said he is running for election because of a desire to help as many people as he can and be of service.

“I’m running for city council in order to find innovative ways to increase the city’s revenue, attract locally owned businesses, ease traffic and parking issues while boosting town pride,” Higginbotham said.

See the full article here
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    O.W.

Re: Sonoma West: Four candidates vie for three city council spots

Love seeing this young man step up.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    The Sonoma West just published an article about the 4 Sebastopol City Council candidates. All three incumbents are running plus newcomer Vaughn Higginbotham.

Here's the section that talks about Vaughn:

Vaughn Higginbotham

Higginbotham, 22, graduated from Analy High School in 2014 and considers Sebastopol his hometown. He is a volunteer firefighter for the Bodega Fire Department and an entrepreneur with an iPhone repair business.

Higginbotham said his interest in government began during high school. He said he is running for election because of a desire to help as many people as he can and be of service.

“I’m running for city council in order to find innovative ways to increase the city’s revenue, attract locally owned businesses, ease traffic and parking issues while boosting town pride,” Higginbotham said.

See the full article here

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #3

Oh, I want to vote for all four. Let's add a seat to the council.

LIlith
    Last edited by Barry; 08-18-2018 at 02:14 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Glia

Better yet... get ranked choice voting going in Sonoma County and you CAN vote for all four!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lilith Rogers: View Post

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Better yet... get ranked choice voting going in Sonoma County and you CAN vote for all four!
    Yeah... as if voting doesn't already confuse the public. Let's make it more complicated!
    I'd rather spend the money on getting people into the booths in the first place.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6

That's true but what I'd really like to do is have them all serve with the other good ones so we'd have to add another seat on the council.

Lilith

11. TopTop #7
    Glia

Or skip the "booth" entirely and have voting 100% by mail, as they do in Oregon. It would increase participation and reduce costs. Of course there would need to be some accommodation for same-day registration and such.

Regarding confusing the public... if someone old enough to vote cannot figure out ranked choice voting, them perhaps s/he should not vote. Yeah, that sounds bad, but the result of the last presidential election was a whole lot worse.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Yeah... as if voting doesn't already confuse the public. Let's make it more complicated!
    I'd rather spend the money on getting people into the booths in the first place.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    ChefJayTay

Majority of Californian's vote by mail now as is.
    You can even drop off your mail-in ballot at ANY CA polling place if you forgot to put it in the mail on time.
    Getting rid of polling, means getting rid of polling workers. Many whom receive a paid day off work, while earning an additional $100-115 for 12-14 hours of polling work. They might prefer to keep that (and it's likely cheaper than state employees with benefits doing ALL the counting).
    Or skip the "booth" entirely and have voting 100% by mail, as they do in Oregon....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.

14. TopTop #9
    Glia

A majority is not equal to *all* California voters voting by mail. Voting by mail guarantees a paper trail and avoids the "black box" voting machine. Combine that with the public domain open-source vote counting software being developed by the County of San Francisco, and the result is a significant move toward legitimate, transparent elections run by government not corporations.

That strikes me as considerably more important than poll workers getting paid $100. Somebody has to load the paper ballots into the counting machines. The former poll workers can certainly do this on a temporary worker basis. Incidentally, conducting and election and counting the resulting votes are the domain of county employees. The California Secretary of State collects the counts from the counties and is also involved in certifying the election results.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Majority of Californian's vote by mail now as is. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 08-20-2018 at 10:28 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #10
    rossmen

Isn't this choice ranked? Each eligible voter gets an even pick of three. So if the cute young new guy wears out a pair of shoes he could easily be everyone's third choice, and be the top vote getter! After all, Sarah is like the longest serving council member ever? And really does have a very strong agenda including unpopular items like high rise rentals in the most popular parking lot. Una is a boring camilion, and Patrick always comes across as kind of evil, has he ever apologized for cvs?

The unfair aspect is that as an over the line county voter I get one vote for 5th bos, while the townies get that and their precious council which has just as much power over my life as theirs!

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #11
    Glia

In this particular case, it is select 3 of the 4 (so far) running. If it was ranked choice vote, you would select a first, second and third choice.

Ranked choice vote would make a big difference in races such as the county supervisor where currently you can only cast a vote for one candidate. With ranked choice, you would indicate your first choice (top candidate), second choice, and third choice. It breaks the winner-take-all deadlock, makes independent candidates a viable choice, and eliminates the need for run-off elections.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Isn't this choice ranked? Each eligible voter gets an even pick of three....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #12
    MikeH

Quote In this particular case, it is select 3 of the 4 (so far) running. If it was ranked choice vote, you would select a first, second and third choice.
    Yes you're right, choose 3 of the 4 is very different than "rank" them. Actually I think this election will be vote for "no more than 3."

So let's say theoretically you really want the young man Vaughn to win. What should you do? Vote for him and two others? I think the best thing to do would be to vote for him only; meaning him and no others. Cast only one vote. That would give him a better chance of rising to electibility. Is electibility a word?

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #13
    O.W.

Lilith, I like your idea of adding council members. Is it possible that this can be done? The Supreme Court has had more members at different points, up to 13 at one point, so why can't Sebastopol? We need future leaders.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lilith Rogers: View Post

23. TopTop #14
    Glia

You've hit the limits of my election arithmetic abilities, but it sounds like you have pegged it. If enough people vote for the same one candidate, then it would improve his/her chances of being in the top three.

"Electability" is a word! It is the noun form of the adjective "electable."

Another benefit of ranked choice voting is it negates the need for such things as candidate "electability" and voters having to choose between the lesser of two evils.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    ...So let's say theoretically you really want the young man Vaughn to win. What should you do? Vote for him and two others? I think the best thing to do would be to vote for him only; meaning him and no others. Cast only one vote....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.