Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    diaba

Areas of Sebastopol that smell of marijuana?

Have read that some residents of Sebastopol can't open their windows in the summer months due to the smell of cannabis. Which areas should I avoid to move to if the smell bothers me?

thank you
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Damage

Re: Areas of Sebastopol that smell of marijuana?

If the smell of cannabis bothers you the Sonoma Roma might bother you as well.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    MikeH

That is not a "smell" that is free medicine.

5. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

I prefer the fragrance of a life giving plant than the poisoning pesticides that are used on life wounding vineyards that produce a product that is addicting. Those pesticides make me want to gag. I lived next to a vineyard, and couldn't believe the odor. I'll take cannabis any day.

The difficulty is finding a place to live that doesn't offend us in some way. Please share if you find this place.
    • Fragrance is only one thing. And you never know when someone will decide to grow cannabis
    • Plants that trigger allergies is another. Some aren't even in yards, but along the highways.
    • Drug addicts, alcoholics, and people/animal abusers
    • Barking dogs, free roaming cats that poop in your garden, in addition to their mating calls
    • Noisy neighbors
    I'm sure I've forgotten some, but readers may be able to supply those, from personal experience.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by diaba: View Post
    Have read that some residents of Sebastopol can't open their windows in the summer months due to the smell of cannabis. Which areas should I avoid to move to if the smell bothers me?

thank you

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Shandi

Clever answer....Love it!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    That is not a "smell" that is free medicine.

9. TopTop #6
    karenm97

Hi, diaba,

If you go back thru posts here where people discuss how much they hate being near cannabis grows, you'll see that there are types of areas to avoid because people could grow cannabis there (whether legal/sanctioned under state and local laws, or not): rural areas, warehouse districts, residential neighborhoods, retail shopping districts. Hope this helps!

On the subject of fragrance:

There are "fragrance" chemicals whose ingredients don't have to be disclosed that make a lot of people sick. That's another smell thing to be aware of (wish I had thought of prevailing winds and where the house next door is before we moved here, since I get headaches, weakness, dizziness, etc from perfume chemicals that are in things like cleaning products, shampoo, cologne and perfume, shaving creams, laundry products, etc etc). I can tell when my neighbor is using Axe products. Ugh!

Yes, one does sometimes smell cannabis while one is driving around the county. Sometimes it seems like weed but it's actually from a skunk.

The Sonoma Aroma that someone mentioned is more common and I would guess more noxious. So you'd really want to think about that (avoid dairies). If you want to come over sometime when the wind is blowing from the west and north, you can check out the smell from my neighbor's horses that are crowded with a bunch of other animals on 2.5 acres. Can't be good for anyone's health (whereas cannabis is). Sometimes I think we even get the smell of compost being turned at Grab n Grow. (Edit: we are actually not in Sebastopol, but rather, need the Todd Road exit)

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    BEE KIND

I suggest moving someplace other than Sebastopol if the smell of cannabis bothers you. I have neighbors who were raising pigs in a small pen where they could barely move. I would much rather have smelled cannabis than those smells and noises from the poor pigs always laying in their own waste in the summer sun.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #8

The city's code is here: https://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Se.../ords/1107.pdf
    I'd refer to section 6 as well, as Sebastopol mirrors the State, that up to 6 plants are allowed per residence.

Personal Cannabis Cultivation for medical or adult use shall be permitted only in compliance with the provisions of Zoning Districts and Allowable Uses and shall be subject to the following standards and limitations.
    A. Medical Cannabis Maximum Limitation.

1. Personal Cultivation: The personal cultivation of medical cannabis is limited
      to no more than one hundred (100) square feet per residence regardless of
      the number of residents.
    2. Primary Care Giver Cultivation: A primary caregiver, as defined in state law,
      may cultivate medical cannabis exclusively for the personal medical use of no more than five specified qualified patients, with the area of cultivation not to exceed one hundred square feet per patient, up to a total of five hundred (500) square feet per residence.
    i. Of the maximum 500 square feet of cultivation permitted, up to 200 square feet may be outdoors, with cultivation area in excess of 200 square feet to be located indoors, and complying with the operational requirements set forth below in subset E.
    B. Adult Use Cannabis Maximum Limitation. The personal cultivation of adult use cannabis is limited to no more than six (6) mature plants per residence, regardless of the number of residents, and may be grown outdoors or indoors. Any such cultivation shall meet the operational requirements set forth in subset E.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by diaba: View Post

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Vicki Lynn

From what I know of Sebastopol and I am a newcomer, if you are offended by the smell, you should probably look elsewhere. My daughter and I moved here three years ago for access to legal medical marijuana from the deep south and the first time I smelled it, I honestly felt like we'd died and gone to heaven.

My daughter relies on the plant for her health and well being (for intractable epilepsy). For us as cannabis "refugees" it's the smell of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. <3

I'm sure you'll find exactly where you need to be. If here, you'll be embraced because that's just what Sebastopol does, but if not here, you'll find somewhere else that is amazing I'm sure. All the best to you in your decision making.

16. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

17. TopTop #10
    Runningbare

And now that cultivation is legal in our county, enjoying the status of legitimate agriculture, it is timely and appropriate to review the annual message from the Ag Commissioners office duly printed on the backsides of envelopes used for sending out all property tax statements:

“NOTICE: RIGHT TO FARM

The County of Sonoma has declared it a policy to protect and encourage agricultural operations. If your property is located near an agricultural operation, you may at some times be subject to inconvenience or discomfort arising from agricultural operations. If conducted in a manner consistent with proper and accepted standards, said inconveniences and discomforts are hereby deemed not to constitute a nuisance for purposes of the Sonoma County Code."

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #11
    Jeff Snook

The Right To Farm act does not include Cannabis. It is not considered an agricultural crop so the act doesn't apply. This was done to give regulators more control of where Cannabis can be grown. If Cannabis were to be categorized as an agricultural crop then the neighbors with concerns about Cannabis specific problems would have no ability to build a festivus pole and air their grievances. Though it might seem overreach by regulators I believe it was a good call.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #12

Funny how people here want others to be tolerant of some smells that pollute the air but only when it comes to pot..... If one person wears too much perfume in public and the scents permeate a small fraction of public space, people get up in arms.
    They even put up scent-free-zone signs....
    Only in Sebastopol!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BEE KIND: View Post
    I suggest moving someplace other than Sebastopol if the smell of cannabis bothers you. I have neighbors who were raising pigs in a small pen where they could barely move. I would much rather have smelled cannabis than those smells and noises from the poor pigs always laying in their own waste in the summer sun.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #13
    diaba

I guess since I started the post, "some people" refers to me. Truth is I have chronic lyme and MS and my brain over-reacts to most things: meds/supplements/cigarette,wood,bbq smoke, gas/perfume/ cleaning products...you name it. Was just trying to improve my odds of not feeling sick, not trying to judge or upset anyone.

24. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

25. TopTop #14
    Shepherd

Cannabis, which this elder uses to sleep through the night, is certainly not food ag., as it says on most of the containers. The corporate wine and cannabis barons have made it difficult to do food farming in Sonoma County. Only about 4% of fruit and veggies sold in Sonoma County are grown here, according to Go Local. We have a serious food security problem. What person, unless they are rich/rich/rich, can buy good ag. land in Sonoma County, as I did 25 years ago, and set up a food farm? One cannot live by wine and cannabis alone, even though I appreciate both of them. When is enough enough?

26. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

27. TopTop #15
    karenm97

Yeah, it's rough. You can't really predict what smells there will be, or when.

I have a friend who found just the right place (in Petaluma) where there's like an organic farm across the street and somehow the neighbors don't make smells that bother her. I guess that's proof that it's possible, at least for that one family! Where I am, we can sometimes tell when Grab n Grow (or someone) turns their compost. Last night it was 82 in the house at bedtime, but a neighbor was doing laundry and we had to close all the windows. Most weekdays I can't go work outside until the commute is over since I'm downwind of the freeway. Sometimes a neighbor smokes a bit of weed, but that just kind of makes me chuckle because it's like I'm in on their secret ;). This was the only place we could find when we were looking with a bun in the oven :(
    Last edited by Barry; 07-11-2018 at 01:22 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #16
    BEE KIND

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bob2: View Post
    Funny how people here want others to be tolerant of some smells that pollute the air but only when it comes to pot..... If one person wears too much perfume in public and the scents permeate a small fraction of public space, people get up in arms.They even put up scent-free-zone signs....Only in Sebastopol!
    There are valid reasons for having signs in public places for scent-free areas. Some people have allergies and have severe reactions to chemical scents in perfumes, hair products, laundry detergents, fabric softeners, etc. Those signs are inside public buildings everywhere, not only in Sebastopol. Cannabis is a natural plant, that is proven to have medicinal benefits. I haven't seen anyone here say that everyone should be tolerant of smells they dislike or that bother them, but when we are outside, we can't do anything about smells that bother us, except try to avoid them by going elsewhere. If there are laws allowing it, we have to live with it, as I had to with the pigs confined next door....which not only smelled terrible, but offended my sensibilities of empathy and compassion for other sentient beings that were deprived of any enjoyment of living a natural life.

30. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

31. TopTop #17
    MikeH

The vacant parcel behind my place, 3.5 acres, has been for sale for $400k. It would be ideal for "food farming" but I don't see how that could possibly pencil out. We have ideal loam soil, a high water table being somewhat near the Laguna.

To buy it with 20% down and to pay on the mortgage by selling vegetables I doubt would work. Putting in grapes would work I suppose. You'd need to cut down all the big oaks first though. For one thing the oaks attract birds, which would eat your grapes.

32. TopTop #18
    Shepherd

Go, birds, go! Eat away those grapes, which would be doing we food farmers a big favor. I love all the birds on my farm, even though they eat a lot of berries. The financial loss is worth the pleasure of watching them and the joy of feeding them something that is organic.

You have probably heard the old question "What is the best way to make a small fortune in food farming?" The answer is "Start with a large fortune."
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    ... For one thing the oaks attract birds, which would eat your grapes.

33. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

34. TopTop #19
    luke32

Re "Go, birds, go! Eat away those grapes, which would be doing we food farmers a big favor." How does that work?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Go, birds, go! Eat away those grapes, which would be doing we food farmers a big favor. I love all the birds on my farm, even though they eat a lot of berries. The financial loss is worth the pleasure of watching them and the joy of feeding them something that is organic.

35. TopTop #20
    Shepherd

My opinion is that we need more food farming, and less wine and cannabis growing. One cannot live by wine and cannabis alone. Real food is needed. I bought my farm 25 years ago. Who, other than the wealthy, can now buy rural land in Sonoma County and transform it into a food farm.

Birds are far more important to nature than are wine grapes and cannabis. They drop their manure on our crops, which help them grow. They bring beauty. I do not see beauty in those industrial stakes in the ground and fences, which keep out wildlife, which I welcome on my farm.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    Re "Go, birds, go! Eat away those grapes, which would be doing we food farmers a big favor." How does that work?

36. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

37. TopTop #21
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    .... One cannot live by wine and cannabis alone. ...
    Are you sure?

38. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

39. TopTop #22

Dear Shepard,

I Heartfully give Deep Thanks to you for making me laugh out loud -- again!

Still chuckling,
    Dusty Wroten
    aka gaisophia on wonderful wacco

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd:

You have probably heard the old question "What is the best way to make a small fortune in food farming?" The answer is "Start with a large fortune."
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2018 at 09:01 AM.

40. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

41. TopTop #23
    weedlov3r420

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bob2: View Post
    Funny how people here want others to be tolerant of some smells that pollute the air but only when it comes to pot..... If one person wears too much perfume in public and the scents permeate a small fraction of public space, people get up in arms.
    They even put up scent-free-zone signs....
    Only in Sebastopol!
    And what if a person uses such perfumes https://cannasos.com/news/culture/en...yrena-perfumes ? :)

42. TopTop #24
    karenm97

Well, if it contains "fragrance" (try googling the ingredients in fragrance- industry secrets that are said to include industrial waste) plenty of people who have chemical intolerance (also called "multiple chemical sensitivity") or environmental illness in general will feel really sick, depending on what symptoms they get. So please don't use perfumes. :)
    Last edited by Barry; 08-30-2018 at 11:26 AM.

43. Gratitude expressed by: