Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    spam1

Re: Babies & other children taken from their parents "In our name"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    ... Why are all these people driven to take such desperate measures to flee their homeland to seek refuge in the United States,...
    Why? Various reasons; some (maybe a lot) come because they have relatives here that encourage them with the safety and opportunity (economic migrants), some because the local area is completely crime ridden and they flee the crime their local (often corrupt) government cannot control. {side note: yes much is drug traffic related; for years we have tried lots of ways to control the drug trade without any success -- is full legalization the answer? it will absolutely reduce the drug trade; and it will absolutely increase misery in the US}. Some must leave because the are targeted by their local governments. Note: the US views only the latter as valid asylum reasons. From this we can infer that they come from "very bad places".

So, let's take the next, logical, step in reasoning: how did those places become so terrible (something in the water, in the soil, probably not). It is the local culture ("how we do things around here") that allowed it. Just as our local culture rose up in indignation to stop child separation...it's not "how we do things around here". Just like #MeToo. Cultures do change. Podfish had the right idea to ask "can we change how they do things there so it won't be so bad?". And I ask "how do we keep the way they do things there from becoming how we do things here, so it doesn't become so bad here?".

Germans (modern, not third Reich) ask the same; And Italians, and now Swedes, and also British.

But Podfish also points out that we have a microcosm of the same situation in the US, with completely open borders and only a $158 Greyhound ticket keeping anyone in the US from coming to Sebastopol. So maybe, open borders would not be so bad, but it would be different.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-22-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #32
    MikeH

Columbia is on the improve. Drug cartel crackdown, and trade agreements and a visit from Prince Charles. Venezuela and others could be following this sort of path.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...owerhouse.html

Meanwhile, Colombia's middle class is on the rise, climbing from 16pc of the population in 2002 to 27pc in 2011. In the streets of Bogotá, Cartier, Louis Vuitton and Armani line up next to high street names Zara and Mango.

The poverty rate – defined by the World Bank as anyone living on less than $1.25 (81p) a day – has fallen from almost 50pc to 34pc over the same period. While policymakers have more to do, Colombians are lifting themselves out of poverty.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #33
    ChefJayTay

Much of middle/central america is... 3-4.5% increases in GDP across the board.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-22-2018 at 01:45 PM.

6. TopTop #34
    occihoff

Quote Posted in reply to the post by spam1: View Post
    Why? Various reasons; ...
    Thank you for addressing my question, spam 1. The answers all boil down to the fact that these people have been living in such fear and misery in their home countries that they have been driven to the desperate measure of fleeing to the United States, where they are now facing more misery due to the cold blooded policies of the Trumpsters.

I have no easy solutions to offer. I just think that before sitting back in our armchairs and forming our opinions it is important that we all realize the magnitude of what these refugees are facing. Perhaps this will temper our policy decisions with more compassion and willingness to go a little more out of our way to help them.

I also think that we need to be more aware of what part our own government plays in supporting dictators and oppressing workers, as long as they help us make money. The United States is not merely an innocent bystander. If we are doing our part to contribute to the misery of the masses of people in Latin America, the least we could do is give them a little more compassion when they flee to us for safety and help.

7. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

8. TopTop #35
    rossmen

Yes with rising sea levels gulf coast residents will be on the move. Being half Texan myself the state refugees I fear the most are Floridians. The last time I was kicking around that state I understood it as an evil twin of Cali. Can we really exist in peace with our shadow?

Indigenous survivors from central america are ideal. Not only do they have the courage to cross mexico with their kids and know how to work, they are experienced small farmers.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    interesting. My first reaction is that the idea of open borders is pretty silly. But following the idea - that would mean that people from outside the country can move around just as easily as people from Alabama or Texas, for example. The barriers we put up against being overrun by Texans are mostly economic, and they seem to do a good job of keeping their numbers manageable. In fact, without formal barriers you can look around our county and not really see too much demographic diversity. So maybe you're right...

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #36
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Yes with rising sea levels gulf coast residents will be on the move. ...
    maybe instead they'll go east and help restore Puerto Rico. I haven't been there but I think it's pretty mountainous - should have enough high ground to go around
    Last edited by Barry; 06-23-2018 at 01:02 PM.

11. TopTop #37
    Shepherd

I write as someone born in California and raised partly in San Antonio, Texas, and Tampa, Florida. Californian and American agriculture would be impossible without the skilled labor of Latin Americans.

I agree with the following comment below: "Indigenous survivors from central america are ideal. Not only do they have the courage to cross mexico with their kids and know how to work, they are experienced small farmers."

We need more farmers, not fewer ones. Only 4% of the veggies and fruit sold in Sonoma County are grown here, according to GoLocal. We have a serious food security problem. The solution is Latin Americans seeking asylum and meaningful work.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-23-2018 at 01:03 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #38
    Shepherd

Hi Shepherd,
    Thank you so much for adding your name to Natalie Portman's petition asking that the United States government stop tearing children away from their parents. Here at the National Domestic Workers Alliance, we've been leading the fight for immigrant families through the #FamiliesBelongTogether campaign -- and we're so glad to have you with us at this critical time.

Earlier this week, the Trump administration released an executive order that they claim will solve the humanitarian crisis they have created. It won't. What it will do is put families and children in jail indefinitely.

It's critical that we keep using our voices to call for an end to the administration's cruel practices at the border. That's why we're demanding the Trump administration stop caging children and jailing their parents immediately -- and reunite jailed children with their families -- and we hope you'll add your name today.

Children belong in communities, not in chains. The choice here could not be more clear.

Thanks, — Jess Morales Rocketto , National Domestic Workers Alliance
    Last edited by Barry; 06-23-2018 at 01:04 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #39
    BEE KIND

Has everyone heard that Trump now wants to deny all of the immigrants their legal rights to due process and immediately deport ALL of them back to the countries they were escaping from. Even those seeking asylum from violence and death threats. Meanwhile our crops are rotting in the fields from lack of laborers and prices are rapidly rising for food and other basic necessities.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #40
    Shepherd

Due process is not just a constitutional right, it is a human right. Yesterday, June 24th, 2018, Donald Trump proposed violating that right: "When somebody comes in, we must immediately, with no Judges or Court Cases, bring them back from where they came."

We the People do not stand for this, and the world needs to know it. The world needs to know that we do not quit on human rights.

When this petition began it was a simple affirmation that we did not wish to quit the U.N. Human Rights Council. Today, that affirmation has taken on a much greater importance. As Donald Trump quits the international community, separates families, and now proposes further violations of human rights, we must voice our commitment to those rights louder than ever before.

Will you join me in this effort?
    As always, thank you for your support and your courage. History will remember not only the transgressions of Donald Trump, but also where the People stood in the face of those transgressions. Today, we are telling the world that, in the words of President Kennedy, we remain, "...Unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed."

Thank you, Patrick McHeffey

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BEE KIND: View Post
    Has everyone heard that Trump now wants to deny all of the immigrants their legal rights to due process and immediately deport ALL of them back to the countries they were escaping from. Even those seeking asylum from violence and death threats. Meanwhile our crops are rotting in the fields from lack of laborers and prices are rapidly rising for food and other basic necessities.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2018 at 06:13 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

19. TopTop #41

Please come this Saturday, June 30th, to join together to stop this cruelty!

Rally starts at 10am in Santa Rosa at the Courthouse Square!\

Power to the Peaceful! Together we are strong!

with Kindness,
    Dusty W
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2018 at 01:11 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #42
    Damage

I find this statement to be weird:
    Meanwhile our crops are rotting in the fields from lack of laborers and prices are rapidly rising food and other basic necessities.
    What this sounds like BEEKIND is saying “they bring no skill and are only good farming the fields.”

How come nobody spoke out against “migrant” family separation at the US southern border during the Obama administration. Obama, in 2014, did the very same thing Trump is doing now! Where were the democrats back then?

This is some good reading:
    In 2005, a left-leaning blogger wrote, “Illegal immigration wreaks havoc economically, socially, and culturally; makes a mockery of the rule of law; and is disgraceful just on basic fairness grounds alone.” In 2006, a liberal columnist wrote that “immigration reduces the wages of domestic workers who compete with immigrants” and that “the fiscal burden of low-wage immigrants is also pretty clear.” His conclusion: “We’ll need to reduce the inflow of low-skill immigrants.” That same year, a Democratic senator wrote, “When I see Mexican flags waved at proimmigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”

The blogger was Glenn Greenwald. The columnist was Paul Krugman. The senator was Barack Obama.

And:
    In 2008, the Democratic platform called undocumented immigrants “our neighbors.” But it also warned, “We cannot continue to allow people to enter the United States undetected, undocumented, and unchecked,” adding that “those who enter our country’s borders illegally, and those who employ them, disrespect the rule of the law.” By 2016, such language was gone. The party’s platform described America’s immigration system as a problem, but not illegal immigration itself. And it focused almost entirely on the forms of immigration enforcement that Democrats opposed. In its immigration section, the 2008 platform referred three times to people entering the country “illegally.” The immigration section of the 2016 platform didn’t use the word illegal, or any variation of it, at all.

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

23. TopTop #43
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Damage: View Post
    <.. snip.. >

How come nobody spoke out against “migrant” family separation at the US southern border during the Obama administration. Obama, in 2014, did the very same thing Trump is doing now! Where were the democrats back then?

This is some good reading:
    In 2005, a left-leaning blogger wrote, “Illegal immigration wreaks havoc economically, socially, and culturally; makes a mockery of the rule of law; and is disgraceful just on basic fairness grounds alone.” In 2006, a liberal columnist wrote that “immigration reduces the wages of domestic workers who compete with immigrants” and that “the fiscal burden of low-wage immigrants is also pretty clear.” His conclusion: “We’ll need to reduce the inflow of low-skill immigrants.” That same year, a Democratic senator wrote, “When I see Mexican flags waved at proimmigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”

The blogger was Glenn Greenwald. The columnist was Paul Krugman. The senator was Barack Obama.

<..snip...>
    so, what's your point? that these lefty luminaries have by these quotes endorsed any and all anti-immigrant sentiment? Jimmy Carter lusted after women in his heart; surely Obama's frustration and resentment are understandable. Apparently neither acted on their worst instincts. Although the lines you quote above, from Peter Beinart's column in the Atlantic, are hugely popular on the right-wing media apparently as some kind of sign of hypocrisy on the left, they seem fairly banal acknowledgement of the obvious. Krugman's comment depends on the existence of "domestic workers who compete...", and there seems to be a shortage of those. But even more, the current administration shows no interest in facing the humanitarian concerns around immigration policy. No-one's pretending that immigration and immigrants don't bring problems, it's just that the Trumpy way of dealing with them is pretty evil. The debate about immigration has always been one about hard trade-offs, but now one side of the argument has drawn such an unsavory crowd of advocates that it forces people with any sense of humanity to drift to the other side.

24. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

25. TopTop #44
    Damage

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    so, what's your point? ...
    Podfish, good point.

I just find find it funny that Democrats in Congress wont even come to the table and work with the Republicans to come up with a solution. Congress is to make laws, not the President.
    I didn’t agree when Obama, and I don’t agree with Trump, to make a law the the very next a-hole in office can simply erase with the power of the pen.
    Bush signed the law, Obama enforced it nobody say anything, Trump enforces it and everyone freaks out, then Schumer says for Trump to pick up his pen. Trump pick up the pen and, yet again, everyone freaks out.
    We have to have a border, we have to have a way for “legal immigrants” to come here. But, we have to enforce the law, we are after all, a nation of laws. We have to secure our borders, period.
    How do we prove, when you come over the border, “illegally”, that the kid is yours is a valid question I think.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2018 at 01:39 PM.

26. TopTop #45
    podfish

...But, we have to enforce the law, we are after all, a nation of laws. We have to secure our borders, period.
    How do we prove, when you come over the border, “illegally”, that the kid is yours is a valid question I think.
    why is this law more important than any of the other loosely-enforced laws? There's no 'period' to it. In this county, we probably have a lot of people who skated by the drug laws for quite a while. I'm not sure, but I hear rumours. Your question about proving family ties is a good one, but a pragmatic answer will be good enough. Some people will skate by, maybe, but I don't see that it's such a serious threat that as a country we're willing to tolerate inhumane enforcement. Though we tolerate inhumane enforcement of drug laws, so maybe I'm arguing against myself

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

28. TopTop #46
    ChefJayTay

https://time.com/5323197/california-judge-immigrant-families-reunited-30-days/

California Judge Orders Immigrant Families to Be Reunited Within 30 Days

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #47
    Shepherd

The following article in today's New York Times also reports on a California judge ordering that all families separated be reunited within 30 days. It also has an article on a 28-year-old Democratic woman defeating a long-time Republican congress member.

Federal Judge in California Halts Splitting of Migrant Families at Border
    By MICHAEL D. SHEAR, JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, THOMAS KAPLAN and ROBERT PEAR

An injunction, issued by Judge Dana M. Sabraw of the Federal District Court in San Diego, also ordered that all families already separated be reunited within 30 days.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    https://time.com/5323197/california-judge-immigrant-families-reunited-30-days/

California Judge Orders Immigrant Families to Be Reunited Within 30 Days

31. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

32. TopTop #48
    Damage

So what do was do now?

You see, the Obama administration was sued because they were keeping the families together, so they had to separate them. now the Trump administration gets sued so they have to keep the families together.
    If Democrats don’t want kids in detention, don’t want to secure the border, what do they want,,, open borders?

Also, I find it funny that the Democrats are “pro-abortion” yet they want to keep Illegal Alien Kids with their “maybe parent”?

33. TopTop #49
    Shepherd

Trump's ongoing cruelty to children and their families could be what brings him down. Following is one of the latest of many efforts to end his abuse:

After a week of the Trump administration hedging on when they plan to reunite the families that they separated at the border, the answer is clear: There is no plan. Trump isn't going to take even the smallest of steps toward addressing the humanitarian crisis he created anytime soon – unless someone makes him.

That's where the events this Saturday come in. In cities as big as New York and DC and towns as small as Machias, Maine, and Truth and Consequences, New Mexico, hundreds of thousands of people across the country are ready to march and protest to say that families belong together – and we hope that includes you.

Make sure you and everyone you know has signed up to take action this Saturday, June 30th by sharing this image on Facebook.

Honestly, these last few days and weeks have been hard. I'm sad, and I'm angry, and the work we have to do can feel overwhelming at times. But it's nothing compared to the fear that the families must feel who come to this country looking for safety and instead are put in jails.

I'll be there on the 30th, showing the Trump administration exactly how many people are willing to stand in opposition to their cruel policies. I hope you'll grab everyone you know and join us.

Thank you, Jess Morales Rocketto, National Domestic Workers Alliance

So what do was do now?...

34. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

35. TopTop #50
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

HELP RE-UNITE FAMILIES! Read on...you can help!

A group of friends organized this...they are going to a facility in mid July, where 1,000 children are detained. Under the Flores ruling, they can interview the children in attempt to reunite them with parents. With 1,000 kids and extremely limited time to connect with them all, they need massive support! Money, lawyers, therapists, pediatricians! Can you go? Donate? For more details...read on...please spread this around...

This is the GoFundMe page:
    https://www.gofundme.com/find-amp-do...rated-children

This is their plea:

“We are being given access to the children at Casa Padre in Brownsville, Texas, on July 12-13 and need massive help. Approximately 1,000 children are being held there and we have the right to interview every single one of them under Flores, but we will only have two days and 9-12 hours per day to do so. Every interview takes approximately one hour, which means that we will need approximately sixty attorneys, plus interpreters. We need some interpreters to speak indigenous Central American languages as well as Spanish and other languages around the world (last week our team was looking for a Punjabi speaker while interviewing a child at one of the Border Patrol stations). We also are seeking volunteer pediatric medical and therapeutic professionals who can volunteer to provide support onsite both days.

"Almost no private citizens are allowed to meet with these children, but a limited number of attorneys can under Flores and we need more volunteer attorneys on our team in light of the current crisis. If you go to Brownsville (or one of the other sites where children are being held), you can document who and where these children are, who their parents are, and as much as the children can recall of where and when they were separated from their parents so that we can provide that information to the court and seek their prompt reunification with their families.
    "There is no travel funding available and all work done is on a volunteer basis. If you cannot help with the visit at Casa Padre on July 12-13, we also will probably need volunteers for visits to the ORR/Southwest Key facilities once those dates are set.
    If you are willing and able to volunteer, please contact me at [email protected] and I will help you with paperwork to get your background check started and the introductions you need to possibly be added to the Flores team.

"History, as well as present conditions around the world tell us how critical this process and information are in circumstances like we are witnessing here. The separation of these children from their families highlights a dark point in our unfolding history as a nation. Today, I am so grateful for the rule of law and attorneys, other professionals, and lay volunteers who are working so hard to shine a light on these children's plight in order to provide a path forward for them and their families, as well as for society overall. Regardless of how you are trying to help, thank you for all you are trying to do!”

36. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

37. TopTop #51
    BEE KIND

You are getting things wrong by twisting words. 1. Democrats are pro-choice, not pro-abortion. There is a difference. 2. "maybe parent", really? Mothers breastfeeding infants. Children taped crying for their papas and mamas, who can't even speak English and say their parents names or where they came from....where do you get the idea that these are not really their parents? From listening to Faux News, Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones? Seriously, you sound delusional. Not to mention heartless. "Damage" is a fitting name.

...Also, I find it funny that the Democrats are “pro-abortion” yet they want to keep Illegal Alien Kids with their “maybe parent”?

38. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

39. TopTop #52
    cw707

Protect those little sperms, don't let anyone stop them; much more important than protecting an alive child or adult who is asking for asylum in our country, just as all of our immigrant ancestors asked, and were admitted, which is why most of us are here having these conversations.

No, we don't want open borders, and that's a smoke screen for sanctioning what is happening at the borders. Trump goes too far in changing these policies and laws. Admission by "merit" only, "white" only, etc.

People trying to follow the rules, go to the legit place at the border, are sent away, regardless of the merit of their request, and then when they try to cross illegally, they are arrested, and their children taken from them. Did you know that the law protecting children to legal council was taken away a couple of weeks before all these separations started happening? So you take away someone's legal right to apply, and then arrest them, and deny them legal representation. I think this sucks.

...Also, I find it funny that the Democrats are “pro-abortion” yet they want to keep Illegal Alien Kids with their “maybe parent”?
    Last edited by Barry; 06-29-2018 at 02:41 PM.

40. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

41. TopTop #53
    BEE KIND

It’s strange that Republicans care so much about protecting unborn fetuses, but don’t want to help underpriveleged living children to get enough healthy food, education or clean water and health care. After they are born, they’re forgotten. Then when they grow up and commit crimes, we have to spend lots of money imprisoning them.

42. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

43. TopTop #54
    Shepherd

For Native people, the trauma of family separation is nothing new

"When I heard that the U.S. government was removing other indigenous children from their families and putting them in cages — as a deterrent, not to solve any practical problem — I was shocked but not surprised." By Colleen Echohawk

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/for-native-people-the-trauma-of-family-separation-is-nothing-new/

Indian Country remembers the horror of children stripped from their parents’ arm

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/indian-country-remembers-the-horror-of-children-stripped-from-their-parents-arm-wsU0QDCp3UuW7xu9ZndmyQ/

"...These heinous acts will only continue if we do not act together. We are all one family." - Colleen Echohawk

Attend the FAMILIES BELONG TOGETHER rally this Saturday morning 6/30 at 10 AM in Old Courthouse Square, Santa Rosa. There will also be an evening vigil led by organizations which work closely with immigrants.

Morning Rally:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1913293655399367/permalink/1921951054533627/

Evening Vigil:

https://www.facebook.com/events/223062078506383/
    Last edited by Barry; 06-29-2018 at 02:46 PM.

44. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

45. TopTop #55
    Shepherd

Dear MoveOn member,
    In Washington, D.C., today, 35,000 demonstrators braved 96-degree temperatures to march on the White House and send a crystal-clear message: Families Belong Together. There were 30,000 participants in New York, 60,000 in Chicago, more than 70,000 in Los Angeles, and huge turnouts from Orlando, Florida, to Austin, Texas, to Boise, Idaho. We were everywhere.

More than 750 cities. One message. This is what it looks like when a nation speaks with one voice.

The past few weeks have been excruciating. We've learned about unspeakable abuses being perpetrated in our name. And at the same time, the Supreme Court upheld the Muslim Ban, which keeps yet more families separated. A Supreme Court retirement means fundamental rights for women and the LGBTQ+ community—among others are now on the line for a generation.

And for the thousands of parents and children in cages, not knowing if they'd ever see their family members again, it was, and remains, infinitely worse.

But today was a ray of hope.

It was a reminder that, for all the chaos and cruelty of those in power, a massive and growing movement exists in every corner of the nation that still believes in fundamental decency. It was a reminder that—at the ultimate wellspring of power in the American political system—the core values of we, the people blaze, undiminished, indivisible.

The horror that so many of us feel about the devastating policies of our government won't go away due to a march. But we are here, we are ready to fight, and we won't go away. This administration hopes to crush our will to resist. Today, we made clear that they will fail.

In the days ahead, we'll be sharing more actions we, together, can take next to build upon this momentum, end these terrorizing and traumatizing policies, hold abusers accountable, and reunite families. Our movement needs to:

• Keep up the heat on decision-makers everywhere. We'll organize more in-person actions to create pressure to reunite families, close family prisons, and end indefinite detention—working with Indivisible, the National Domestic Workers Alliance, and other organizations.
    • Hold corporations accountable for profiting off this system—companies such as Wells Fargo must be held accountable for their role in funding family separation infrastructure.
    • Rein in the excesses of the brutal Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers who are terrorizing communities and tearing apart families across the country.

And we need to make sure everyone who is eligible registers to vote—a critical way to get involved with all the issues that matter to all our communities and families.

More on all of that soon. Watch your email for opportunities to take action, or join MoveOn's SMS list to get text messages with alerts about clear, impactful actions by texting FAMILY to 668366.

We decided to throw down on this national day of action less than two weeks ago. Our close partner, Rep. Pramila Jayapal, first publicly announced it on Chris Hayes's television show, the next day. In response, communities everywhere—including longtime immigrant leaders who've been at this for years and decades, along with newcomers to action for immigrant rights—have organized one of the biggest protests of the Trump era.

All together, more than 180 partner organizations came together to pull this off, including MoveOn, the National Domestic Workers Alliance, the Leadership Conference for Civil and Human Rights, the ACLU, faith groups such as Sojourners and the Presbyterian Church, Avaaz, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and a range of labor unions, the YWCA, scores more tremendous allies and partners, and countless local groups in cities large and small, united across lines of ethnicity, race, national origin, and language.

When you feel alone, when it's all too much, remember that what is possible when we come together. That there is power in our numbers.

In the decades to come, people will ask themselves and each other what they did to fight the darkness at this moment in history.

Today, millions of us summoned a piece of an answer. We were in the streets. And we won't stop until we turn the darkness back.

Thank you for all you do.

—Anna, Ben, Karine, Corinne, and the rest of the team

P.S. We'll be sharing more photos and videos on social media throughout the days ahead. If you have any, email them to [email protected]or post them on Facebook or Twitter and tag @MoveOn with the hashtag #FamiliesBelongTogether. Here are a few more images from around the country today—including Representative Pramila Jayapal and Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ai-jen Poo, Vanita Gupta, and me at the head of the march from the D.C. rally to the Department of Justice.
    Want to support MoveOn's work? We didn't budget for today's million-dollar national protest against children being torn away from their parents on our border, in our name. And, as Elizabeth Warren said in an email to MoveOn members this past week, it feels like "the world is on fire." We still must continue fighting to keep families together AND throw down with partners on an emergency campaign to help save the Supreme Court from a full-on right-wing takeover in light of Justice Kennedy’s departure—AND make sure that we don’t have to make cuts to our other critical work. To do it, we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
    Yes, I'll chip in $5 a month.
    No, I'm sorry, I can't make a monthly donation.
    Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Shepherd Bliss on July 1st, 2018. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    For Native people, the trauma of family separation is nothing new

"When I heard that the U.S. government was removing other indigenous children from their families and putting them in cages — as a deterrent, not to solve any practical problem — I was shocked but not surprised." By Colleen Echohawk

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/for-native-people-the-trauma-of-family-separation-is-nothing-new/

Indian Country remembers the horror of children stripped from their parents’ arm

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/indian-country-remembers-the-horror-of-children-stripped-from-their-parents-arm-wsU0QDCp3UuW7xu9ZndmyQ/

"...These heinous acts will only continue if we do not act together. We are all one family." - Colleen Echohawk

Attend the FAMILIES BELONG TOGETHER rally this Saturday morning 6/30 at 10 AM in Old Courthouse Square, Santa Rosa. There will also be an evening vigil led by organizations which work closely with immigrants.

Morning Rally:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1913293655399367/permalink/1921951054533627/

Evening Vigil:

https://www.facebook.com/events/223062078506383/

46. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: