Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    luke32

Palm Drive hospital

A headline from today's PD: Palm Drive Health Care District seeks to sell Sonoma West Medical Center http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8329877-181/palm-drive-health-care-district.

The story brings back memories of one of the best discussions ever on WACCO - how many? years back with Dan Smith and Jim Horn as the two leading voices. . I wish I could find it.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    jbox

Re: Palm Drive hospital

Quote luke32 wrote: View Post
    A headline from today's PD: Palm Drive Health Care District seeks to sell Sonoma West Medical Center http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8329877-181/palm-drive-health-care-district.

The story brings back memories of one of the best discussions ever on WACCO - how many? years back with Dan Smith and Jim Horn as the two leading voices. . I wish I could find it.
    Now that Palm Drive has been absolutely and convincingly shown to be a management and financial failure for the umteenth time (fraud, lawsuits, unpaid employees, me too, huge deficits every month, board of directors incompetence, etc.), I would like to see Jonathan Greenberg's opinion on the current state of affairs, since he was one of the leading cheerleaders of the latest resurrection.

I believe the best use for this facility is as a homeless service center.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Beanie

Re: Palm Drive hospital

No one in this community wanted the hospital to open and succeed more than myself.

And now, as much as I hate to say it, the District selling the hospital is probably the best scenario.

However (and I know there will be fallout on THIS point) the Palm Drive Health Care District IS NOT Sonoma West Medical Center.

And there is no proven fraud in the current climate on either part NOR is there even a lawsuit.
    It is a claim and a very common one at that. Neither of my two previous comments anticipate, judge or even speculate at the final outcome. Just setting the record straight as it stands right now.

MOST everyone (and I did say most) who cheerlead for the hospital genuinely wanted a operating hospital, health care facility for our families in our community.

Quote jbox wrote: View Post
    Now that Palm Drive has been absolutely and convincingly shown to be a management and financial failure for the umteenth time (fraud, lawsuits, unpaid employees, me too, huge deficits every month, board of directors incompetence, etc.), I would like to see Jonathan Greenberg's opinion on the current state of affairs, since he was one of the leading cheerleaders of the latest resurrection.

I believe the best use for this facility is as a homeless service center.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    GetReal145

Sonoma West Hospital has stayed open for us and should be applauded not denigrated

The notion that the hospital has been mismanaged is a mean spirited deceptive narrative that insults the many, many hard working people who have done an amazing job reopening and staffing and working for the Sonoma West Hospital.

I want to remind everyone that that community hospitals are failing everywhere in the country because we have a messed up health insurance system that exists for the benefit of the multi billion dollar insurance and hospital conglomerates.

The "economies of scale" are such that it is virtually impossible to break even for a small hospital. It is the only business in the USA that cannot predict or measure reimbursement.

Nobody has done anything wrong, except the hospital haters who for some reason that few can understand continue to ply their lies and character assassination against hard working people and the VOLUNTEER board members who have broken their backs trying to do the impossible, while providing WE THE PEOPLE of West County with an open emergency room for more than two years!! And providing more than a hundred decent paying jobs to those in our community.

I continue to be shocked at those who denigrate this essential public service, as well as our elected officials who want to pretend that they need not do anything to help the only hospital in West Sonoma County stay open.

from Jonathan Greenberg

7. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Supporting Member

Re: Sonoma West Hospital has stayed open for us and should be applauded not denigrated

Grateful for your post, Jonathan! I was at Palm Drive this afternoon, getting a blood draw. The emergency room was dealing with two injuries, calmly and efficiently. I've known this hospital for forty some years and it has never disappointed me and has always been there for us, especially we residents of west county.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2018 at 11:25 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #6
    jbox

Re: Sonoma West Hospital has stayed open for us and should be applauded not denigrated

Quote GetReal145 wrote: View Post
    The notion that the hospital has been mismanaged is a mean spirited deceptive narrative that insults the many, many hard working people who have done an amazing job reopening and staffing and working for the Sonoma West Hospital.

I want to remind everyone that that community hospitals are failing everywhere in the country because we have a messed up health insurance system that exists for the benefit of the multi billion dollar insurance and hospital conglomerates.

The "economies of scale" are such that it is virtually impossible to break even for a small hospital. It is the only business in the USA that cannot predict or measure reimbursement.

Nobody has done anything wrong, except the hospital haters who for some reason that few can understand continue to ply their lies and character assassination against hard working people and the VOLUNTEER board members who have broken their backs trying to do the impossible, while providing WE THE PEOPLE of West County with an open emergency room for more than two years!! And providing more than a hundred decent paying jobs to those in our community.

I continue to be shocked at those who denigrate this essential public service, as well as our elected officials who want to pretend that they need not so anything to help the only hospital in West Sonoma County stay open.

from Jonathan Greenberg

Well, "Peacetown", this is sure a mean spirited response. You're a much better apologist for failure than you are an "investigative journalist".

The hospital has not been mismanaged? But it can't keep staff, or pay them. People quit or get fired if they're not on board with the narrow minded and desperate management clique. And yes, lawsuits have been filed for improper termination and fraud. The ER was shut down due to unclean conditions.

It's OK for Sonoma West to fail because that's what happens to small hospitals? You now admit the economies of scale are insufficient for the hospital to make ends meet, even with the huge public subsidy for which the taxpayers will be on the hook for years, but it's OK because WE THE PEOPLE need it? Really?

Hospital haters? Lies? Character assassination? Oh, come on. If the hospital was able to exist without huge deficits every month, year after year, we would all be on board. Even the Russian River area, which has successfully detached with unanimous LAFCO endorsement, would support this facility if it was not such an abysmal financial failure.

Anthem has sued for reimbursement of over $13 million of fraudulent charges. Just because this hasn't gone to trial, you assert nothing has been proven. Oh, please! They dropped this bogus fraudulent drug test scheme like a hot potato as soon as the news broke.

Now the hospital is up for sale. If you want to do some good, Jonathan, then support the transition to a homeless service center, something that is really needed.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    ChefJayTay

Quote jbox wrote: View Post
    the transition to a homeless service center, something that is really needed.
    You paying for that?

13. TopTop #8
    podfish
    Supporting Member

Quote ChefJayTay wrote: View Post
    You paying for that?
    sure, that facility's probably got features that aren't needed for homeless services, that would be more efficiently used for something like, say, medical services.

but the implication that providing services for the homeless is an expense that can be ignored is selfish and shortsighted. If you don't mean it that way, you should avoid things that ring of "make XXX great again". This response is a snow-clone, used a lot when someone advocates for necessary social spending by those who feel over-taxed and unwilling to accept their role in paying for a solution.

Check the recent rant by the lawyer in the New York lunch room, where he quickly goes to the aggrieved claim that he's paying for some unspecified benefits for all those he deems to be 'illegals' who are working there. It's just a bad look. Not enough people read Dickens anymore.

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: