Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Colin Kaepernick receives Amnesty International's highest honor

Football quarterback Colin Kaepernick has received Amnesty International's highest honor.

Amnesty International, the global human rights organization, gave Kaepernick its highest honor — the 2018 Ambassador of Conscience Award — in Amsterdam on Saturday. Past winners of the award, which “celebrates individuals and groups who speak out for justice,” include former South Africa president Nelson Mandela, Malala Yousafzai, the education activist from Pakistan who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban, and rock group U2.The organization recognized Kaepernick for his protest against police violence: his action, kneeling during the national anthem before NFL games, sparked a movement replicated across America and the world, starting a debate about free speech and patriotism that was inflamed by the President of the United States, one of Kaepernick’s most relentless critics. [...]

“This is an award I share with all of the countless people throughout the world combating the human rights violations of police officers, and their uses of oppressive and excessive force,” Kaepernick said in statement released by Amnesty International. “To quote Malcolm X, when he said that he, ‘will join in with anyone — I don’t care what color you are — as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this earth,’ I am here to join with you all in this battle against police violence.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    markwjam

Re: Colin Kaepernick receives Amnesty International's highest honor

Hallelujah....I am glad to see a sports reference in wacco, thanks for posting this good news.....I have for decades been keen to observe the interaction of sports and social movements...I know a lot of people in this area who like to pretend sports don't exist (as well as some people who really don't get that so much of America is not like this area politically)..however, athletes in major sports who take a stand have made a difference in positive movements....even as sports is at the same time used to reinforce American militarism (Pentagon has put massive money into TV advertising..it was after that investment began in the 90s, that the requirement to stand for the anthem started for football)....I am glad to see Kaepernick get this recognition..meanwhile, he remains unable to practice his profession, as do other players who would definitely have a job if not for their political stance, including his former 49ers teammate Eric Reed....for those interested, the Nation magazine have probably the only sports editor in the country who is free to explore issues of politics and sports, and I would recommend reading Dave Zirin...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Football quarterback Colin Kaepernick has received Amnesty International's highest honor....

4. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

5. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

Re: Colin Kaepernick receives Amnesty International's highest honor

Kaepernick was also featured as "The Idealist" in TIME mag's Person of the Year 2017 issue.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-24-2018 at 11:05 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: