Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Congressman Jared Huffman speaks to Swing Left in Marin

Our man in Washington, Rep. Jared Huffman, rallies the Swing Left Marin activists:

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Runningbare

Re: Congressman Jared Huffman speaks to Swing Left in Marin

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Our man in Washington, Rep. Jared Huffman, rallies the Swing Left Marin activists:
    Byrne After Reading

It is election season once again, and Congressman Jared Huffman allowed the Bohemian to follow him around for a few hours on the campaign trail ("On the Road With Jared," March 7). Overall, Huffman's political positions have much to commend—with the exception of his strong opposition to the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement, which is having a positive impact on Israeli oppression of the Palestinians and deserves support. It's an important topic that, sadly, did not make it into the story, which bordered on hagiography.
    Nor did the story report that Huffman's largest campaign donor this season is Honeywell International—yes, that Honeywell, the multinational conglomerate that pollutes our natural resources drilling for oil and gas and has billions of dollars in war industry contracts. And in fourth place as a Huffman donor is CBRE Group, the real estate behemoth with billions on federal contracts that is owned by the family of Sen. Dianne Feinstein.
    Is there a moral compass guiding Huffman's career? Maybe, but as the Bohemian reported, his "childhood political hero" is Harry Truman, stalwart of the Kansas City Prendergast Machine, member of the Ku Klux Klan and the man who ordered the dropping of atom bombs on tens of thousands of Japanese children.
    —Peter Byrne
    Petaluma
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2018 at 01:36 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Runningbare: View Post
    Byrne After Reading

It is election season once again, and Congressman Jared Huffman allowed theBohemian to follow him around for a few hours on the campaign trail ("On the Road With Jared," March 7). Overall, Huffman's political positions have much to commend—with the exception of his strong opposition to the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement, which is having a positive impact on Israeli oppression of the Palestinians and deserves support. It's an important topic that, sadly, did not make it into the story, which bordered on hagiography.
    Nor did the story report that Huffman's largest campaign donor this season is Honeywell International—yes, that Honeywell, the multinational conglomerate that pollutes our natural resources drilling for oil and gas and has billions of dollars in war industry contracts. And in fourth place as a Huffman donor is CBRE Group, the real estate behemoth with billions on federal contracts that is owned by the family of Sen. Dianne Feinstein.
    Is there a moral compass guiding Huffman's career? Maybe, but as the Bohemianreported, his "childhood political hero" is Harry Truman, stalwart of the Kansas City Prendergast Machine, member of the Ku Klux Klan and the man who ordered the dropping of atom bombs on tens of thousands of Japanese children.
    —Peter Byrne
    Petaluma
    There are always those who criticize those who are 99% correct. Let the circular firing squad commence!

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Kunnskaping

There are always those who criticize those who are 99% correct. Let the circular firing squad commence!
    The thing is, Jared Huffman does not represent the 99% and, therefore, cannot be 99% correct. From his earliest days on the Marin Municipal Water District board to the present, Huffman has made it clear that he is a wealthy white liberal lawyer who has little appreciation of class, race, or age struggles beyond the most cartoonish portrayal of such.

While it is easy to point to much, much worse politicians these days, that is hardly the basis for a glowing recommendation. Huffman is and always has been very far from the roots of progressive politics. As political forces on the left find their way back to those roots, Huffman stands apart from more and more voters in his district.

8. TopTop #5
    Hot Compost

Byrne After ReadingIt is election season once again, and Congressman Jared Huffman allowed the [I]Bohemian to follow him around for a few hours on the campaign trail ("On the Road With Jared," March 7). Overall, Huffman's political positions have much to commend—with the exception of his strong opposition to the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement, which is having a positive impact on Israeli oppression of the Palestinians and deserves support.
    That's why I have nothing to do with the sh-t stain that the Democratic Party has become. /// There is nothing progressive about Holocaust Denial. /// Israel has been inflicting a Holocaust on the Palestinians since 1935, 1946, or 1948 ... depending on which terror attack is used to demarcate the timeline. /// AIPAC runs the Democrats and the Republicans. /// The American military is busy murdering the civilians that Israel considers "enemies" - and Israel considers a lot of people enemies. /// And it's all paid for by Your Tax Dollars ! Wish I could add a /sarc ... but it's true. :-( /// If Israel doesn't run the US - why are so many states over-turning the First Amendment and making it illegal to talk about Israel's ongoing mass murder of the Palestinians ? /// Not a pleasant subject, is it ? It's light years more difficult for the Palestinians. /// for some reason, Barry attempts to Censor my Posts by deleting the formatting. Since I'm vision impaired, I NEED the formatting to read my own posts.
    From Barry: I have not changed the formatting of this post. I may have changed the formatting of Hot Composts previous posts.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-30-2018 at 12:39 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kunnskaping: View Post
    The thing is, Jared Huffman does not represent the 99% ..
    OK, first Math:

What is the "99%"??

In this context, it is everything that is "below" the top 1 percentile.

Right?

What about those that are in the 3rd percentile, and 64th percentile?

Point being the 99% is diverse. Even the "bottom" 50% is diverse.

Next Positions and tactics:

... Overall, Huffman's political positions have much to commend—with the exception of his strong opposition to the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement, which is having a positive impact on Israeli oppression of the Palestinians and deserves support...
    Among the "much to commend" positions, Jared supports (and is a co-sponsor) of the Medicare for All bill. I'd say that was "progressive" and in line with the 99%.

I'm Jewish, and I abhor Isreal's treatment of the Palestinians, and Isreal's fear mongering (but it is so politically expedient!) . The BDS movement sounds like it might be helpful. Also sounds like Huffman doesn't support it (but does support a 2 state solution). I can disagree with him on that, and still support him.

I'm not going to withhold my support for someone who is a talented politician, just because I'm not 100% in alignment. 95% works for me! Remember is to 50.1% to win an election or pass a bill.

But you are in luck! Breaking News (really)! There' is a Berniecrat challenging Jared in the June (jungle) primary. See more about ANDY CAFFREY here. Sounds like his heart is in the right place, but would he be an effective legislator? I'm sticking with Jared.

Oh, and...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    ... Barry attempts to Censor my Posts by deleting the formatting. Since I'm vision impaired, I NEED the formatting to read my own posts.
    Censor? I try to fix up your posts so they are readable to rest of, regardless of whether or not I agree with you.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Hot Compost

OK, first Math:What is the "99%"??In this context, it is everything that is "below" the top 1 percentile. \...Oh, and...
    >>Hot Compost wrote: ... Barry attempts to Censor my Posts by deleting the formatting. Since I'm vision impaired, I NEED the formatting to read my own posts.
    Quote Censor? I try to fix up your posts so they are readable to rest of, regardless of whether or not I agree with you.
    Short paragraphs, with lines spacing them. /// That's how you wrote your post, above. /// That's also exactly how I wrote my post. /// You eliminate the paragraphs and line spaces from my post. /// The formatting that Barry applies to my post, I apply to his post -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Among the "much to commend" positions, Jared supports (and is a co-sponsor) of the Medicare for All bill. I'd say that was "progressive" and in line with the 99%.I'm Jewish, and I abhor Isreal's treatment of the Palestinians, and Isreal's fear mongering (but it is so politically expedient!) . The BDS movement sounds like it might be helpful. Also sounds like Huffman doesn't support it (but does support a 2 state solution). I can disagree with him on that, and still support him.I'm not going to withhold my support for someone who is a talented politician, just because I'm not 100% in alignment. 95% works for me! Remember is to 50.1% to win an election or pass a bill.But you are in luck! Breaking News (really)! There' is a Berniecrat challenging Jared in the June (jungle) primary. See more about ANDY CAFFREY here. Sounds like his heart is in the right place, but would he be an effective legislator? I'm sticking with Jared.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Barry, do you think that section of text above, starting with 'among', ending with 'Jared', is readable ? /// That's exactly how you have formatted my post. /// I add the triple '/' after Barry eliminates all punctuation. /// Whatever Barry's mission is, it has the effect of censorship. /// Barry is re-formatting my posts to make them un-readable - then claiming it's to make it more readable. /// An interesting double-speak which Barry has not yet explained. /// Why doesn't Barry eliminate all paragraph formatting and line spacing from his own posts - the same 'medicine' he is applying to my own posts ?

From Barry: Again, I have not adjusted the formatting of this post. I am forever inserting one blank line between paragraphs on everybody's posts. If there are more than 1 blank lines between paragraphs I reduce it to just 1 blank line - applied to everybody... as my time and patience allow I think Hot Compost has a tech issue on his side that I am happy to help with.

This is a good example of the fictional agendas people can project on others.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-30-2018 at 12:48 PM.

13. TopTop #8
    wisewomn

Would you provide examples/links to back up your statements that "Huffman has little appreciation of class, race, or age struggles beyond the most cartoonish portrayal of such" and "Huffman stands apart from more and more voters in his district." Thanks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kunnskaping: View Post
    The thing is, Jared Huffman does not represent the 99% and, therefore, cannot be 99% correct. From his earliest days on the Marin Municipal Water District board to the present, Huffman has made it clear that he is a wealthy white liberal lawyer who has little appreciation of class, race, or age struggles beyond the most cartoonish portrayal of such.

While it is easy to point to much, much worse politicians these days, that is hardly the basis for a glowing recommendation. Huffman is and always has been very far from the roots of progressive politics. As political forces on the left find their way back to those roots, Huffman stands apart from more and more voters in his district.

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: