Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Portia
    Supporting Member

Zero Waste Gaining Momentum in Sonoma County

The So Co Zero Waste scene is heating up and I would like to encourage interested folks to get more involved. The big news is that a subcommittee of the Sonoma County Local Task Force on Integrated Waste Management (LTF) - https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Local-Task-Force-on-Integrated-Waste-Management, is working on a Zero Waste Initiative and Ordinance that should be ready to send to the Board of Supervisors and each city council early this Summer, but only after an orchestrated outreach campaign. Many stakeholders are on the LTF and we will soon be publicizing an event to get all other stakeholders involved.

Below is a list of upcoming activities that may appeal. Yes, the first and third are in SF but take my word that they are well worth the carpool! I am a co-founder and mentor to the first group and have been involved with the second for more then 35 years!

March 18, 6th Annual Zero Waste Youth Convergence, Sunday, San Francisco, $10-$20. Though this event targets youth it is still a great event even for gray hairs like me but then again you may just want to wait til the Sonoma County Zero Waste Week, May 6-12! Details below...

March 19, Introduction To Zero Waste,
    Santa Rosa, 8:30am – 3pm. First class in Zero Waste USA's Community Associate training series. $125 per class, $300 for 3 class series. Discounts available for committed students. Taught by me and Richard Anthony of Zero Waste San Diego plus special guests. More info here.

March 20, 23rd Annual Recycling Update,
    Northern California Recycling Association, Tuesday, 3/20, 8:30am - 4:30pm, Berkeley, Register today! Late Fees kick in March 15th! This professional event is considered one of the best in the county! If $225 is too pricey ask to volunteer or for a discount. To get a taste, check out last year's YouTube videos:

Early April, Zero Waste Curious?
    trainings for giving multiple short presentations (20-40 minutes plus discussion) in each Sonoma County city and town in May and June. We are starting to plan them now. If local groups are willing to organize, these events will supplemented by films, tours and other activities. Farm markets are a good place to talk to people as well. Organizers and presenters needed. I will send out Doodle to help figure out when the trainings will be.

April 16, Wasted – The Story of Food Waste
    , SRJC, details to follow.

April 28, Lend-A-Hand Day,
    Community Bikes, Santa Rosa, 9:30am-1pm. We will be cleaning the shop and sorting the part bins. For more information send a note to [email protected]

May 6-12, Sonoma County Zero Waste Week,
    https://zerowastesonoma.org/, lots of activities being planned. Stay tuned.

May 10, 2nd Annual Sonoma County Zero Waste Symposium,
    Rohnert Park. Registration should be opening soon – probably 3/1.

Please consider taking part in these events.

Also, the 350Sonoma Zero Waste Committee is meeting regularly, planning actions and is looking for volunteers to help at the Santa Rosa Earthday as well as other events. For information, contact Sunny Galbraith.

Thanks, Portia

Portia Sinnott, Co-founder and Convenor, Zero Waste Sonoma County and

Executive Director, LITE Initiatives

LITE Initiatives, a non-profit working group specializing in simple, sustainable practices with significant consequences. Programs: Car-Lite, Community Bikes, Living Green, Zero Waste Sonoma County www.liteinitiatives.org (new site to be launched soon!)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    csell

Re: Zero Waste Gaining Momentum in Sonoma County

Thank you, Portia. I have recently written a message to Recology asking for green-bin service and a reinstatement of the County composting program, (many of us in West County have no plant-debris pick-up at all). I will report back if I get a reply.

--Carolyn

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Portia: View Post
    The So Co Zero Waste scene is heating up ...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: