Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dustyg

Sebastopol rent doubled!

My friend's been given three months notice that her rent in Sebastopol will double. Isn't there something in place now to keep landlords from raising the rent extraordinarily? Please send information, and I will pass it on, thanks.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    robert777

Re: Sebastopol rent doubled!

I've read they can only raise it 10% after a disaster. I don't recall where I read that. Maybe, you can google it.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-07-2018 at 11:16 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

From an article in Sonoma West

"Hoffman pointed out that since the fires, when California declared a state of emergency, rental prices have been kept relatively stable by Section 396 of the California State Penal Code, which limits rental increases in times of emergency to 10 percent. The Sonoma County District Attorney’s office under Jill Ravitch has brought several charges of price gouging based upon that statute.These protections are short-lived however, Hoffman noted, and are set to expire on April 18 of this year. At that point, renters in Sonoma County will have virtually no protection from rent increases or eviction.

According to Hoffman, “After April 18, landlords will be able to raise the rent as high as they like and often as they like and evict people for no reason at all.”
    That’s a future that the Tenants Alliance of West County is organizing to change.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by robert777: View Post
    I've read they can only raise it 10% after a disaster. I don't recall where I read that. Maybe, you can google it.

5. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

6. TopTop #4
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by robert777: View Post
    And that will only last till Spring, I believe.?
    After that it will be a free for all and scumbag landlords will gouge without consequence because Ravitch will be busy harassing in the marijuana arena.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    adamhadm

Don't pay it! If landlords want this area to become a big $$$ area let them live in it by themselves!!!! Live alternatively and don't be mad at me for saying it!!!
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    boB Phelps

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    My friend's been given three months notice that her rent in Sebastopol will double. Isn't there something in place now to keep landlords from raising the rent extraordinarily? Please send information, and I will pass it on, thanks.
    Rent control in West County does not exist. in 2016, I was illegally evicted after being given two rent modifications within 3 months. Neither was presented In a legal format. Then, they emailed me an eviction, of less than 60 days. Both the format and duration are illegal. All this was about wishing to charge exorbitant rates for the studio I had lived in for over 8 years.

Found a cheap place in Pocket Canyon, which just sold. New owner informed me, a month ago, that they would not be working on my particular unit or raising my rent, although they did continue to refurbish the other 4 units and double their rent. After notifying the owners that I would be away for 12 days, pet sitting, they then posted a legal "Notice to Vacate" (court documented 60 day eviction notice) on my door and in my mailbox. Knowing that I was not even home, the new landlady stated that she had no obligation to notify me, other than by posting and mail. No courtesy call or ethical notification of my eviction.

This is what is happening all over our region, unabated. No matter what the law states, it's unenforceable and epidemic. Big money is winning the war and the word "affordable" no longer applies to housing in West County.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-09-2018 at 01:31 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

12. TopTop #7
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by boB Phelps: View Post
    Rent control in West County does not exist. ...
    greed knows no bounds. yes, it's pretty bad what is happening in SoCo and so many landlords must be going to sleep looking at their bank receipts telling themselves, "why not". capitalism at it's best. when one is down, kick them a little harder.

our elected officials will not come to the aid of the communities they serve. Jill Ravitch, law enforcement bottom feeder, she knows she no longer has to bend over or act like she seemingly cares any longer, so gouging isn't even on her radar. remember when she used to campaign on having some sort of decent perspective on prosecuting marijuana offenses as not her priority, as long as folks were following the rules- well, it turns out, the only rules that matter are Her rules- and she makes them up as she goes along- prosecute everything in her path she can tear apart and wreck havoc.

it's a distraction from the real crimes she should be focused on..does anyone remember her saying, after the fires, she was seriously going to prosecute the gougers?- she's rotten just like the landlords-when you think about it, she is kinda like a landlord too- the landlord of LE.

i have this fantasy of "what if", renters, all of them stopped paying rent, and forced the landlords to go through all the tedious work, in the courts, of evicting people...it would jam up the courts for quite some time now would it not!
    of course, it's a fantasy. and yes, i understand, where would people go? they have you by the b_ _ _s as one would say.
    it's trying to make people have a heart, and ya can't force that right. it comes from within and if it just ain't there, well, it ain't there.
    landlordism- is justified on so many levels...just to dissect it, rethink, remodel it, is a monumental task!
    we shy away from such efforts and it's ever more difficult in a county like Sonoma- so much abundance. too much really.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: