Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    hawaiianiris

Cold Weather Clothing Giveaway -Sunday 12/31 8am-3pm- Santa Rosa Flea Mkt

Hi everyone- Our Christmas Giveaway on Christmas eve was much needed. We received such gratitude and many hugs and tears from both adults and children...

With the help of great volunteers we were able to help 10-20 families with Christmas items, toys and warm weather blankets and clothing. But we didn't have enough to help everyone in need. I was able to reserve the same spot #217 at the Santa Rosa Flea market this Sunday New Year's Eve from 8-3 at the vets center. This may be the last one for awhile - rain hopefully will be coming soon.. I want to get warm clothing to as many people as Ii can this weekend.

There were many people that came to the giveaway last week who lost everything in the fire and who are desperately needing warm clothing, especially jackets. I was saddened to see families with children shivering without jackets in the 40 degree weather. I decided I need to make a difference and do this giveaway.. It would be great to have a cold weather clothing giveaway this Sunday to help those people in need. If you have jackets, scarfs, hats, sweaters, gloves and any other clothing that would work for cold weather and upcoming rainy weather for both children and adults that you could donate--Also we had requests for dog jackets. Blankets would also be nice.. Please let me know if you have items to donate and you can also drop off any donations to the booth this Sunday morning. Morning would be preferable as last week - we had to pack up at 1:00 due to rain-(we actually had a little rain) and very cold wind. Also anyone who could help in the booth giving things away would be great. We can make a difference to so many families in this brrr cold weather still struggling to find their normal again. Please also let the families in need know about the free giveaway. Have a nice day Janise
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Cold Weather Clothing Giveaway -Sunday 12/31 8am-3pm- Santa Rosa Flea Mkt

I've reposted this on my Nextdoor site, etc., and will be bringing donations from those who can't make it there.

Can you direct me to the area you'll be in? I see #217 I've never been there. Other people are asking me..... who aren't on WaccoBB, since I'm sharing this far and wide. Anyway to post your direct contact for those who want to donate, but can't make it to SR?

Are you also posting on your Nextdoor site? I've received so much help from my neighbors. I took a load of donated shoes to Sebastopol from my RPk neighbors, and will have more soon.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hawaiianiris: View Post
    Hi everyone- Our Christmas Giveaway on Christmas eve was much needed. We received such gratitude and many hugs and tears from both adults and children...

With the help of great volunteers we were able to help 10-20 families with Christmas items, toys and warm weather blankets and clothing. But we didn't have enough to help everyone in need. I was able to reserve the same spot #217 at the Santa Rosa Flea market this Sunday New Year's Eve from 8-3 at the vets center. This may be the last one for awhile - rain hopefully will be coming soon.. I want to get warm clothing to as many people as Ii can this weekend.

There were many people that came to the giveaway last week who lost everything in the fire and who are desperately needing warm clothing, especially jackets. I was saddened to see families with children shivering without jackets in the 40 degree weather. I decided I need to make a difference and do this giveaway.. It would be great to have a cold weather clothing giveaway this Sunday to help those people in need. If you have jackets, scarfs, hats, sweaters, gloves and any other clothing that would work for cold weather and upcoming rainy weather for both children and adults that you could donate--Also we had requests for dog jackets. Blankets would also be nice.. Please let me know if you have items to donate and you can also drop off any donations to the booth this Sunday morning. Morning would be preferable as last week - we had to pack up at 1:00 due to rain-(we actually had a little rain) and very cold wind. Also anyone who could help in the booth giving things away would be great. We can make a difference to so many families in this brrr cold weather still struggling to find their normal again. Please also let the families in need know about the free giveaway. Have a nice day Janise

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Inside or outside?

5. TopTop #4
    hawaiianiris

Hi Shandi- The giveaway will be outside in booth 217. The booth is located in the first row at the Santa Rosa flea market . We are the row closest to the veterans building. It will be the busiest booth at the market. Many people bringing donations and volunteering.

My little car is totally full of donations. I can't personally pick up anymore. But if anyone wants to coordinate a drop off and is willing to bring things on sunday to the booth that would be great... Thanks :)))

Thankfully the weather will be clear and beautiful just perfect to give the things away before cold rain comes. We have sooooo many donations coming from all over the bay area, which is a miracle.

The most important thing now is to have the people in need come and get whatever they need. No ID or questions asked. If someone is in need they are welcome to have whatever they want.. Have a nice day.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #5
    foxrosie

Now that Christmas and New Year's are OVER, I have a few moments to spare and belatedly see this thread. WOW and more WOW ... I'm so touched by what all of you have done. I would so like to be able to participate, but it's too late. Any chance of this happening again? Perhaps in a church basement or somewhere in doors? I have various and sundry warm things to donate ... any suggestions as to the best way to get stuff to those in need at this late date? There's still plenty of cold coming!

Maybe we could use the Grange Hall on Rt. 12 to do another one of these ....

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Shandi

It was wonderful to be part of this impromptu and heartfelt event. My homeless friend that I recently gave my 4 Runner to, helped load up all the boxes and bags of warm clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, and blankets. He even scored a warm jacket, which he needed. He wouldn't take anything without my prompting. I had found a pair of boots, just his size. His New Balance athletic shoes are falling apart. I've been checking EBay, but so far no used ones at a price I can afford. He'll wear them until the soles are literally falling apart. I got these used for him 3 years ago, and that's the only pair of shoes he has. Anyway, he wears a size 10 D. For some reason, New Balance is best for him. He also needs white socks. He's sleeping in his truck, since the engine blew up a few months ago, so he doesn't have space for much. He also has a kitty that he rescued, even though I tried to dissuade him.

I didn't mean to go on, but mainly wanted to post this picture of the Warm Clothing Give Away.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    Shandi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by foxrosie: View Post
    .... Any chance of this happening again? ....
    We just need a place, time to let people know, and a date. I can help again by using my friend and the 4 Runner.
    I live in Petaluma, and he lives in Santa Rosa. Yes, indoors would be best, and maybe we could serve warm drinks and some simple nourishing snacks. I'd contribute to that. I've given away most of my warm stuff, but I know other people who can contribute.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #8
    foxrosie

Probably I can't actually DO anything until Next Week or the Week after due to all sorts of reasons ... But I will ask about the Grange this weekend when I'm there with some of the Grange folks for a friends' memorial (John Taylor).

14. Gratitude expressed by: