Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Icssoma

open your house to fire victims and their animals

those of you who are safe, please check on your santa rosa neighbors and open your homes.
    we have filled out bath tubs, horse troughs, and all containers w. water in case we loose electricity (we will then be on gravity flow to our house).
    if you can open your house to families please do.
    this is a major catastrophe.

please reach out for help if you need it, please open your homes if you are safe.

i need to deal w. our families here, (we have 3 different families and their animals at our house, and sorting out how many more people dogs & horses we can take).

please only do critical driving. santa rosa jc is closed.

list of evacuation centers, you will see analy hs, & sebastopol community center are on this list.
    please add on places of help. thank you.

https://abc7news.com/list-fire-evacu...?sf120366276=1
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    arthunter

Re: open your house to fire victims and their animals

I am waiting to hear from a friend who has a sheep farm in the burn area. She fled at 3am with her 3 dogs and is now in an evacuation center. If she does not need a home, I can help. Is someone coordinating local relief efforts?

4. TopTop #3
    AJL

Maybe? Just go to the center where evacuees are and ask someone to come take a shower or have breakfast.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Icssoma

i don't know about co.ordination.
    everyone who is staying here lost their house this morning. after rushing around, & taking care of people, horses, dogs and cats, i am numb.
    like smoke from a campground everywhere.

do hope your friend is ok. glad you will be offering help. we will need every home we can get.
    in our house, we account for 3 houses--2 family homes (4 displaced) a duplex rental unit, (5 displaced).

housing need will be at it's worst.

do take care of friends & family, & if we all can take someone we don't know in, we will be good.

we can take more horses in, at the rescue, but will need a large truck full of 3/4 drain rock, & another of road base, and sand to accommodate more horses. [(we have 2 coming from the slaughter house in Texas--harvey discards.)
    doing find w. the dogs --everyone brought one!]

everyone needs to be at their best.

7. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Shepherd

The Sebastopol Grange Hall is open

Grangers and friends,
    The Sebastopol Grange--at 6000 Sebastopol Ave., Highway 12--is still open and available for animal evacuees, including donations of feed, fencing and troughs.

Also: save the date, we will hold a relief benefit on Thursday at our grange starting at 5pm, details TBA --- also coming soon will be a list of needs. 707-573-6049. If you haven’t already, this might be a good time to sign up for alerts from the public safety agencies. Go to Nixle.com

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Icssoma

went underwear shopping w. my daughter today. Target was a veritable meeting place for people who had lost their homes.
    hard to have adequate supplies at donation centers (if they do have it), and intimate apparel is personal. for many it helps people feel "clean" and comfortable. shoes and socks as well.
    my daughter & roommates left w. the clothes on their back, one dog, a teddy bear, and her backpack of school books. (one roommate chose to take an arm full of albums.)

great suggestion to head to an evacuation center & take someone out for a meal, or to buy underwear/socks.

in the meantime & going forward drive like people did 20 years ago in sebastopol. i have been saddened by the faster driving, not letting people out of the "suicide lanes", jumping for turns just today downtown.
    everyone who drives can slow down & be courteous.
    makes everyone smile when you nod and let people go lst. i have been in a "hurry" before, and i am trying to reform. not sure why so many people are in such a hurry but it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Icssoma; 10-10-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot something

11. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

12. TopTop #7
    wisewomn

I just read that Airbnb hosts in Marin, SF, and Alameda county are offering free housing to fire refugees.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-11-2017 at 06:03 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Icssoma

all good news is welcome.

also heard comcast is offering free internet: "go to Settings in your cell phone and search for local wifi networks - choose Comcast Wifi "Guest" and you don't have to enter a password. If you don't find Comcast then you are not in range.

friends brought over extra jeans, tops & some jackets for my daughter. they just went through their closets. she now has 3-4 tops, and 2 pairs of jeans, & several overshirts. it makes a huge difference.
    remember when you are donating, things in good condition.(everything was, but as an e.d. of a not for profit we have rec'd more than our share of things we had to throw out).

was extra appreciated as the good will in sebastopol is closed. didn't say why.

15. TopTop #9

So sorry for your lost property, your daughter's BE-longings, the added chaos you're experiencing, and I just want to praise you publicly for taking in horses from the hurricane areas... You are a real home-town Hero! Please don't forget to ask Waccovians to volunteer to help you out there. Many people do want to do something physical to help; I know you know how to show them!
    Many Blessings, my Hero!
    Allorrah
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.

16. TopTop #10

Kinda restores your faith, doesn't it??!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    I just read that Airbnb hosts in Marin, SF, and Alameda county are offering free housing to fire refugees.

17. TopTop #11
    Shandi

It seems that these counties are showing a conscious example for Sonoma County. I haven't seen any offers of free housing from Sonoma County Airbnb, or have I missed them?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn;215773:

18. TopTop #12
    Hot Compost

What a lot of people need is Hot Baths, a chance to lay down & soak in a hot tub for 1 or 2 hours.

Great stress reliever, and great for musculo-skeletal systems.

Especially after a week of Adrenaline/ fight-or-flight type nervous system overwhelm.

19. TopTop #13
    sambacat
    Supporting member

As I mentioned in response to another thread, my husband and I cancelled our AirBnB guests for this weekend and are housing 3 evacuees instead. The guests were very understanding and supportive.
    I also have friends who are doing the same with their AirBnBs here in Sonoma County. (People might be too busy helping to read and respond to WACCO posts.)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    It seems that these counties are showing a conscious example for Sonoma County. I haven't seen any offers of free housing from Sonoma County Airbnb, or have I missed them?

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #15
    Fortunecookie

Is there a list or website of all the families/people that are in need of a home to stay in?Are shelters finding homes for people to stay in? My friends that lost homes all have other places to stay and I have a large house with a couple rooms empty that someone in need from fire can stay in.any info. much appreciated..thanks

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #16
    Shandi

There is a resource that screens people before placement, but in this emergency situation, that may be bypassed. I don't know. it's SHARE Sonoma County at Petaluma People Services. They have been placing fire victims recently.

i'm not in a position to take people in. I've done it twice before, and regretted it. That may be because I couldn't bear to see those people living on the street. Both times each person stayed close to a year, before finally being evicted. When I lived on the Big Island, I took several people in at different times, and never had a problem.

If I were able to take anyone in, I would get help from someone knowledgeable about interviewing. It may seem harsh to talk about evaluating who to bring in to your home, but we have to protect ourselves and our families. People live very differently. I've been renting rooms for years, and lived with many people who were mentally or emotionally out of balance, hoarders, or typically addicted to alcohol. Getting a couple of references would be a start.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-15-2017 at 11:42 AM.

26. Gratitude expressed by: