Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Your opioid pain killing prescription may now be limited to 7 days at CVS

CVS to Limit Opioid Prescriptions to 7-Day Supply

If I got my scripts at CVS, I'd be switching to another pharmacy, or going online to Canada or Mexico.

What about you?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  3. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Your opioid pain killing prescription may now be limited to 7 days at CVS

I think everyone should read the article provided in the link in your post. Congratulations to CVS.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    CVS to Limit Opioid Prescriptions to 7-Day Supply

If I got my scripts at CVS, I'd be switching to another pharmacy, or going online to Canada or Mexico.

What about you?

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    jesswolfe

As someone who has chronic pain and is limited on what I can take, having to go to CVS every week just to get meds is beyond annoying. I would switch to someone else immediately. I have Kaiser and having online medical records means that all my docs know what I知 taking. It痴 annoying enough going month to month and jumping thru hoops to get my prescriptions there.

Jessica
    www.daughterofthediviners.com

6. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

My mother was on oxycontin for years for neuralgia. She was on a steady dose. I often helped her get it, including often renewing her prescription.

And given the widespread abuse that is happening (by both doctors and users) anything that can be done to curtail it is useful.

And, it's not clear to me that having prescriptions limited to 7 days is effective.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  9. TopTop #5

But now once per week you're obliged to walk all the way across the store past shelf after shelf of tempting goodies. I suspect that their motives are actually altruistic but I can't see that it's likely to help anyone with an addiction while obviously inconveniencing people who are in need of pain relief. Sadly, I think there are no easy answers to the problem or it wouldn't exist.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    gypsey

In response to this post and the others, as the article (link provided in Shandi's post) points out, the restrictions are for certain opoids and certain conditions, not all. A priority for CVS is the safe disposal of unused medications. The internet is replete with reputable (CDC, etc) reports on the opoid crisis and the need for a multi-dimensional solution. Pharmacies are one dimension.. So again I hope everyone will read the article.

My own experience with opoids has happened twice. The first time, I was injured in an accident while living in Canada and prescribed them. My intake was closely monitored by my medical team and use was restricted. The dangers were clearly explained to me. Thanks to their care, I easily transitioned to milder, safer painkillers after a few weeks and was supported by other options including meditation by my treatment team. My recover took a full year and I will forever be grateful.

The second time was here in Sebastopol when I was rear ended by a teenage driver and this time, in moderate pain. The doctor who saw me trotted out a handful of free samples of opoids, the same one I had been prescribed and limited to in Canada. This doc gave me no information or cautions about taking them. Since I knew the dangers, I chose not to take them or to fill the prescription he so "generously" gave me along with the samples. (BTW this was in 2002 and this doc is still practicing here.)

Going to refill a prescription every 7 days is an inconvenience when one is suffering, I know from my Canadian experience that "Jessica" is fortunate to have Kaiser and online monitoring. However, not everyone has that. To me, better an "inconvenience" refilling my prescriptions than potentially endangering my health and my future..

My two cents
    Gypsey
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2017 at 02:27 AM.

12. TopTop #7
    pamelasl

I think a large part of the problem of chronic pain is innocence, ignorance (meaning, ignore available information instead of seeking it out, and ignore your own, innate wisdom) a corporate/industrial system all too willing to make money while treating symptoms instead of causes, and alternative practices that are too expensive for a lot of people; too expensive because they are not "in the corporate club."

The innocent believe what they are told by the authorities (doctors) largely without question. The doctors are taught to label conditions so they can talk about them with each other and their patients, even when a condition has "no known cause." These labels also serve to make the doctor sound like he or she knows something that you do not about why you have that pain. The labels also influence the doctor to think he or she really does know something. However, the body is under the law of cause and effect, just like everything else here in 3-D; it does not randomly give messages in the form of pain or anything else. We tend to forget, we are mammals; with animal intelligence.

One might argue for their limitations, many do, such as "this comes from an accident I had back in '98" - but first look to your nutrition and diet! Have you tried an anti-inflammatory diet? Or getting the heavy metals out of the system with IV chelation? or any number of light and oxygen therapies or other original healing modalities that eliminate infection? Microbes, undetectable by western means, will go to a weakened area, such as a previously injured area and in their life cycle, produce all sorts of inflammatory substances. Heavy metals will settle in many different places in the body causing pain. What do you do to detoxify the body in this very chemical-laden, toxic era we live in? (hint: sauna, dry brushing, colonics, coffee enemas, pure water, epsom salt tub soaks)

The narcotic addiction in this country is alarming. I feel great compassion for the innocent masses who suffer chronic pain; pain is so isolating, pain strips the true joy and zest from a life. But there is a reason for pain; get to the cause of it and you will be done with it ruling your life, and get help doing that if you need it. SO MUCH good information exists on the internet! A lot of it is timeless too. inflammation causes pain, something else causes inflammation. Remember, argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Below is a good start to info at the level a regular person can understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAGEhkZ-ssY

Barbara O'Neil is a nutritionalist, but there are many others free on the internet, and this information should be free! Barry, "Neuralgia" only means pain along a nerve; what is living there? What causes that pain? Could it be structural? There are many methods to tease a structure into functional alignment or if a virus is at cause, there are ways it can be eliminated. "Fibromyalgia" means pain in the fibers - all those names and conditions doctors do not know the cause of are caused by something, something corporate medicine has yet discern, or maybe doesn't even care to find out about when the system can make so much money off of the suffering people.

Being out of balance in our biome is something we can correct with a little help, detoxification is something all of us can do reasonably inexpensively. But as a society, we need to stop abdicating our personal authority to an expert without doing our due diligence when it comes to the health of our body, and our children's bodies.

I think I have gotten off on a bit of a rant here, so I do want to admit, I would not "throw the baby out with the bathwater" and there is definitely a place for corporate medicine, but in my opinion, it just is not with anything chronic; and I mean anything.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    My mother was on oxycontin for years for neuralgia. She was on a steady dose. I often helped her get it, including often renewing her prescription.

And given the widespread abuse that is happening (by both doctors and users) anything that can be done to curtail it is useful.

And, it's not clear to me that having prescriptions limited to 7 days is effective.

13. Gratitude expressed by: