Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Shepherd

Re: Sheriff Candidates - what do you know?

Among the other places where Mr. Mutz came was the Sebastopol Grange. HIs presence was light and not dominating. It was good to see him there and connect with him. The list of community events below that he has attended is impressive and indicates that he would be likely to be a community-based sheriff.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaiasophia: View Post
    I'm definitely voting for Mutz.

He is truly doing community outreach:

1.He was at the "Whose Streets" movie tonight(documentary about the police brutality involved during and after the killing of Michael Brown, ie. "Hands Up! Don't Shoot!").

2.I met him at the Martin Luther King celebration this year,
    3.He also went to the recent Sebastopol Women's Rally, and

Several of my friends affiliated with Sonoma County Peace and Justice Center (aka PJC, in Santa Rosa) told me that as well as
    4. Mutz attended the PJC's award dinner,

5.Mutz also made a presentation at the Peace and Justice Center.

According to some of Mutz's campaign literature, he was involved in law enforcement during and after the incident involving Rodney King and abusive police, pulling the community back together.

He probably isn't perfect, but he seems waaaaay better than the other candidates.

He seems truly sincere about listening and responding to people, ( including me).

Check out his campaign literature--way different than the usual crap.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

3. TopTop #32
    beshiva

Re: Sheriff Candidates - what do you know? Yes

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Actually, Marcy, Essick is the "more of the same" candidate. He implores citizens to call about tweeker dealer houses and then when folks respond by saying we do call, over and over but nothing ever happens, well, then that's when he goes silent. He is big on lip service, short on results.

More of the same is an understatement- regarding Essick!
    More brutality, more arrogance, more ignoring the needs of the communities, more contempt for people, more refusal of oversight of any kind of law enforcement, more refusal to hold officers accountable...more more more of Freitas in Essick's body-
    absolutely nothing will change, except things can and Will get worse. Essick claims he has been in law enforcement for 20 years- to which I reply SO! So, what have you done?
    Mutz has made changes to law enforcement in one of the the most difficult of places - Los Angelos- he has way more experience, honors the profession because he truly understands there does not need nor should there be, a divide between law enforcement and community- he has actually brought communities into the dialog; in the time he has become a candidate here in Sonoma he is constantly working at community outreach..
    Whereas,
    Essick seems to revel in making a deep divide and causing the "them/vs/us mentality
    Essick has contempt for the public and if you take the time to listen to him at all he never speaks in terms of how much the public should be heard- we are treated like the old adage "we should be seen and not heard)
    If people would take the time to engage personally with both these candidates, it wouldn't be long at all, you could not help recognize Essick is a deeply flawed individual..not fit for the job
    And we should not be afraid of change.

4. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

5. TopTop #33
    Codyboy1

As I stated-you have your opinion. I have met with both and spoken personally to them. As you already know-Mark Essick has shown our community already what he can do. Enough said

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    More of the same is an understatement- regarding Essick!
    More brutality, more arrogance, more ignoring the needs of the communities, more contempt for people, more refusal of oversight of any kind of law enforcement, more refusal to hold officers accountable...more more more of Freitas in Essick's body-
    absolutely nothing will change, except things can and Will get worse. ...

6. TopTop #34
    MikeH

Quote As you already know-Mark Essick has shown our community already what he can do. Enough said
    Provide some specifics. Or am I supposed to already know? I'm a 5th district resident but not way out west, like I'm thinking you must mean when you say "our community." It's hardly "enough said" to someone who doesn't know what you're talking about.

7. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

8. TopTop #35
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Codyboy1: View Post
    As I stated-you have your opinion. I have met with both and spoken personally to them. As you already know-Mark Essick has shown our community already what he can do. Enough said
    Well, you might be right about That- he sure has shown our community what he can do, And, it ain't Pretty. Quite dysfunctional

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #36
    Visnhawk

Mutz has the integrity to do this job! He will be a great Sheriff!

Check out the info on Mutz. He will be a great Sheriff!

11. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

12. TopTop #37
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    Provide some specifics. Or am I supposed to already know? I'm a 5th district resident but not way out west, like I'm thinking you must mean when you say "our community." It's hardly "enough said" to someone who doesn't know what you're talking about.
    Swat Commander Essick led the unnecessary SWAT attack on the home of Glenn Swindell. Mark Essick is a SWAT Commander in both attitude and action. A small domestic verbal kerfuffle that started at 9 pm ended after only five hours - when Commander Essick ordered deputies to break down the front and garage doors with a military vehicle, send in flash-bang grenades and tear gas, and then sent a motorized lighted robot into the Swindell home after the hiding and frightened man. The terrified Glenn Swindell allegedly shot himself during the attack.

Essick claimed he was bound by policy to make an arrest. Damage to the house, from broken windows and doors and toxic chemicals, was $300,000. Will Mark Essick ever be held accountable for his assault on the Swindell family? Will he ever explain why he just didn't simply wait the man out? Will he ever explain why he ESCALATED the situation into a full-out SWAT attack? No! If you thought Frietas was bad, wait till you have Essick! :(

13. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

14. TopTop #38
    Moon

What a pity we can't have Jay Foxworthy for sheriff! ...and I hope his family member's situation resolves quickly.

Of those who remain, Mutz is the least objectionable, even though he dodged and dodged and dodged questions, particularly those concerning the degree to which he would want the department to cooperate with ICE. I'll vote for him unless a miracle happens and Foxworthy or someone of his caliber appears on the ballot.

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #39
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

The PD did a good article on the 3 candidates for Sherrif, including this video that asks each candidate:

"Why change is needed in the department
    and why they are the right person for the job?"

See full PD article here.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-07-2018 at 02:06 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

18. TopTop #40

I found this open statement on the Facebook page of Sheriff Candidate John Mutz. If anyone finds any other statement regarding this issue from the other candidates, I would love to read it.

"Open statement regarding the decision to bring the polarizing COPS show to our community:

I would strongly urge the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office to reconsider their current arrangement to partner with the television show COPS here in our community. At a time when our community is working to rebuild, this seems particularly tone-deaf. I can’t imagine any community would want to be portrayed this way on national television, but especially one still very much in a place of recovery and healing.
    Even more astonishing, it appears that the Sheriff’s Office has chosen Erick Gelhaus to be a liaison for this project — the same controversial deputy who killed young Andy Lopez in Roseland in 2013. This decision demonstrates a shocking level of insensitivity and highlights how profoundly out of touch our Sheriff’s office is with their community.
    Not one part of this project is in the best interests of our communities. I strongly oppose this project, and emphatically urge the department to revisit this decision."

#SonomaStrong

- Sheriff Candidate John Mutz
    https://m.bohemian.com/northbay/acti...nt?oid=5964351

19. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

20. TopTop #41
    Codyboy1

Mr. Mutz-you should know about the media-after all Rodney King happened on your watch.
    Quit throwing stones at others. Let’s be solution oriented. Glad you attend all the little liberal events in Sebastopol-but forget to show up for a planned event in Guerneville!!

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #42
    Abraham Entin

Mr. Mutz-you should know about the media-after all Rodney King happened on your watch.
    Quit throwing stones at others. Let’s be solution oriented. Glad you attend all the little liberal events in Sebastopol-but forget to show up for a planned event in Guerneville!!
    I don't know why Mr. Mutz missed the event in Guerneville, but I have him speak about the Rodney King debacle and how much he learned from that experience and how it changed his outlook on law enforcement.
    Those who have been to war can often speak more eloquently on the horrors than those of us who perhaps realized earlier what these wars are about. Disagreeing with an absurd decision by a part of county government is hardly throwing stones...
    Abraham Entin

23. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

24. TopTop #43
    Codyboy1

We can agree to disagree-I as senior value experience-and I am for community policing. Captain Essick can do both-and values his constituents enough to show up-a lot!

25. TopTop #44
    luke32

With regard to the Rodney King beating happening on "Mutz's watch", there is a letter in Friday's Press Democrat which seems to pretty much absolve John Mutz from any blame:

"Mutz’s track record
    EDITOR: I retired from the Los Angeles Police Department and have lived in Sonoma County for 30 years. While I didn’t have the honor of serving directly under Capt. John Mutz, I am very familiar with his record. I read the letter from the past president of the Sonoma County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association (“Choosing a sheriff,” Letters, April 27), and I want to set the record straight.

First, Mutz was transferred to the Foothill Division a few weeks before the Rodney King beating. More important, before people began filming these incidents there was no interest in reform from chiefs or sheriffs (or deputies’ associations) anywhere. This incident and its aftermath were awful, but afterward the LAPD had to reform. This gave Mutz an opening to introduce and lead the changes he had been trying to make.
    Mark Essick is suddenly in favor of accountability, standing up for immigrants, diversity. What has he been doing the past 20 years while no one was looking?
    Mutz has been a champion of reform, transparency and community engagement for more than 25 years. It would be great if the Sonoma Sheriff’s Office could start that now. Please join me in voting for John Mutz on June 5.
    TONY PIAZZA"

26. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

27. TopTop #45
    Shepherd

I appreciate this former police officer for speaking up on behalf of Capt. John Mutz and setting the record straight and Luke for posting this important information. Mutz is the man to vote for.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    With regard to the Rodney King beating happening on "Mutz's watch", there is a letter in Friday's Press Democrat which seems to pretty much absolve John Mutz from any blame:

28. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

29. TopTop #46
    MikeH

Poll: Two candidates emerge as front-runners in race for Sonoma County sheriff job

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8...rge-as?sba=AAS

I participated in this Press Democrat Poll. The results are disappointing. Essick and Olivares 24% each and Mutz 10% in voter support.

Here's some excerpts I found interesting:

Petaluma-based political analyst Brian Sobel said he has observed strong support for Mutz among community groups looking for a candidate who vows to make big changes to Sheriff’s Office practices.

Poll respondent Andrea Michelsen, 71, of Healdsburg said she intends to vote for Mutz.

“He’s an outsider,” she said. “I think he’ll bring a fresh perspective to the department and doesn’t have baggage.”

The fatal shooting of 13-year-old Andy Lopez by a sheriff’s deputy five years ago left “a real scar” on the community, Michelsen said. “I think more could be done to build back the trust and I’m not sure the Sheriff’s Office has taken a real leadership stand in that.”

Rohnert Park resident Angela Coffman was among the poll participants who has yet to back a candidate in the sheriff’s race. Coffman, 45, said she planned to sit down soon and study the candidates’ biographies included in the Sonoma County voter guide recently mailed to her home.

She’s most interested in the candidates’ statements about homelessness and substance abuse, particularly problems with people abusing drugs in public.

“The drug problem that’s going on and the homeless problem are huge concerns, and I think that directly affects the sheriff’s department,” Coffman said in an interview.

“I think there need to be multiple offices involved in fixing it, and I don’t see that happening.”

30. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

31. TopTop #47
    juna

Do you ever wonder how accurate these polls really are?

I do not trust the integrity of the polls and I vote for who I think is the best candidate...not who the polls say is winning.

Juna

Poll: Two candidates emerge as front-runners in race for Sonoma County sheriff job

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8...rge-as?sba=AAS

32. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

33. TopTop #48
    wisewomn

I have heard that Musk is handicapped by a funding shortage, which means his supporters have to get out and knock on doors, etc.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-14-2018 at 08:49 AM.

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #49

Surprised and disappointed to see Mutz with only 10%. I've been a supporter of him since I first met him and heard him speak months ago. He is for fair, unbiased policing, has lots of experience and comes in fresh--not part of the old boy network. Vote for Mutz.

Lilith Rogers
    Last edited by Barry; 05-14-2018 at 08:50 AM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

37. TopTop #50
    Codyboy1

Mark Essick cares about “all” of our county-rather than just liberal outposts -still bringing up A shooting that while sad-was the teenagers fault. When you pull a gun (or an exact replica) on law enforcement-they will do their job. Mark Essixk is for Community policing-engaging people and working with Homeless to get them to treatment if needed or housed. They cannot be left to die or shoved over to Guerneville. He is by far our strongest candidate.

38. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

39. TopTop #51

I know Andy Lopez was 13 years old and that he was shot down in 10 seconds and it was a racist act -- a white kid would not have been shot carrying a toy gun. I know the Sheriff and the cops at the time hassled the hell out of Andy's Friends and family. And Mutz is the only candidate that speaks about how that situation could and should have been handled with compassion and respect. That matters to me NOW and ALWAYS.

And if you think the homeless problem can be solved with treatment and a few nights in a shelter, then you are quite naive about the homeless situation. People without homes are economic refugees. They are you and me. Homelessness is sown into the fabric of capitalism and solving it means seeding a complete shift in how we approach it. In my opinion, Essick is just another white cop with a badge and a system to defend that is designed to criminalize the homeless and immigrants and people of color. Mutz is the only candidate with the experience to shift this paradigm...
    ~ From a Liberal Outpost
    Last edited by Barry; 05-15-2018 at 10:25 AM.

40. TopTop #52
    rossmen

Essick represents all that is wrong with the sheriff department, torturing and killing prisoners, shooting kids, publicly resisting accountability, he has done and been there for it all. If you like the way the job has been done, vote essick!

41. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

42. TopTop #53

Guess you meant to say Mutz, right? And yes, we who believe he's the best guy for the job need to get out there for him. I am.

And--his funding shortfall just helps to illustrate that he's not backed by the powers that be who are putting their big money on the other guys.

Lilith

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    I have heard that Musk is handicapped by a funding shortage, which means his supporters have to get out and knock on doors, etc.

43. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

44. TopTop #54

guess you're talking about Andy Lopez, right? And he didn't "pull a gun" or a replica of one, he was just walking down the street with a toy gun that any kid can buy at a department store and within 15 seconds-I think it was--that cop decided to shoot him--a cop who obviously suffers from PTSD from serving in the military in a war.

And yes, I agree with the comment someone made here that if he had been white he'd have been alright.

Lilith

Mark Essick cares about “all” of our county-rather than just liberal outposts -still bringing up A shooting that while sad-was the teenagers fault. When you pull a gun (or an exact replica) on law enforcement-they will do their job. Mark Essixk is for Community policing-engaging people and working with Homeless to get them to treatment if needed or housed. They cannot be left to die or shoved over to Guerneville. He is by far our strongest candidate.

45. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

46. TopTop #55
    podfish

Mark Essick cares about “all” of our county-rather than just liberal outposts -still bringing up A shooting that while sad-was the teenagers fault. When you pull a gun (or an exact replica) on law enforcement-they will do their job.....
    I wouldn't vote for someone who thinks that "do(ing) their job" includes shooting the teenager, regardless of whether it was partly his fault. I want a sheriff who's less supportive of the hair-trigger militarized response that's designed primarily for the safety of the officer, not the public. I don't mean to imply disregard for the officer's safety, but the rules and culture of the sheriff's office must create a different balance between their safety and the safety of the public they are there to protect & serve.

47. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

48. TopTop #56
    Visnhawk

While John Mutz may have not shined in public speaking at some events(He did at others), What I know is that he cares deeply! He is a part of a community that welcomes diversity, is TOTALLY for Social Equality, and if elected, we would have a Sheriff's department that SERVES the people. It is way past time that we consider candidates, not on their policing skill; The sheriff is not on the streets; But, on their vision, ability to create a department that actually serves all of the people regardless of race, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or gender. We will have a Sheriff that stands up for the policies that we, the people, want implemented. We are in a time where fear mongering is being used to scare the heck out of us and they are using it to take away all the progress that we have made towards a fair , just society. Mr. Mutz will head us back in the right direction. I have worked in the County for 27 years with criminal justice and the stories I could tell you would scare the heck out of you. I am not going to tell the stories now because I would prefer to focus on the solution, not the problem. Mr. Mutz will implement solutions if he is elected!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    I wouldn't vote for someone who thinks that "do(ing) their job" includes shooting the teenager, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.

49. TopTop #57
    Codyboy1

And I have worked for criminal justice for 30 yrs-that is why Mark Essick who stands for all-and shows up gets my vote!!

50. TopTop #58
    MikeH

You know one thing I find funny? Scott Thorne went on trial for excessive force. Essick even testified for the prosecution. Thorne's defense boiled down to he was following policy. And there was no conviction. It was a split decision, a hung jury, but for the most part it was not guilty. I seem to recall 10 of the 12 jurors said not guilty. So we have no clarity on even something as simple as this. Someone calls 911 claiming they hear an argument or yelling from the house next door. Deputies will go to the house, kick down the door if need be, hit the dude with a taser, expecting to haul him in for domestic battery, even if the woman there says to them we were just having an argument. So the claim that this went according to policy carried weight in the criminal court system.

Put it this way: I think Essick may not really understand, and that policy promotes abusive behavior that violates civil rights. But it comes down to he really doesn't give a shit about that. All he really cared about is that the video of the incident, when it went public, made them look bad.

51. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

52. TopTop #59
    Moon

I concur. Despite his being intentionally obtuse when question publicly as to his policy on dealing with ICE,
    I still think Mutz is the least ridiculous of our options: Curly, Moe and Larry.

...Put it this way: I think Essick may not really understand, and that policy promotes abusive behavior that violates civil rights. But it comes down to he really doesn't give a shit about that. All he really cared about is that the video of the incident, when it went public, made them look bad.

53. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

54. TopTop #60
    MikeH

I've seen some Mutz for Sheriff yard signs, two of them one block over. I think they have an impact and so I'll get one, and anyone else so inclined can do the same. Fill out the form on this link and request a sign or just email them.

https://johnmutzforsonomasheriff.com/join/

[email protected], or [email protected] ( I think this is some sort of campaign manager )

55. Gratitude expressed by 6 members: