Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Sheriff Candidates - what do you know?

The first Sonoma County Sheriff Candidates forum is scheduled for:
    Thursday, September 28 at 5:30 PM - 8 PM
    at the Santa Rosa Veterans Building.

So far, it seems Carlos Basurto, Mark Essick, Jay Foxworthy, John Mutz and Ernesto Oliveras are running.

Being that this is such an important elected position, I am curious to know what you know and think of these candidates.

Hopefully, we can have a civil and educational discourse as we gather information to VOTE!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Sheriff Candidates - what do you know?

I have endorsed Jay Foxworthy, currently a deputy in the San Francisco Police Department. He lives here in Sonoma County. I have posted something about him elsewhere on Waccobb.net. He was brought to my attention by a progressive Santa Rosa City Council member.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-16-2017 at 08:44 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    beshiva

i suggest people go online and check out the Community Action Coalition who held some interviews with various candidates. this is a good way to become informed considering the office of the Sheriff has run un-opposed for a quarter of a century, i'd say it's about time a little democracy started to play out in this county.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Laguna Farm: View Post
    The first Sonoma County Sheriff Candidates forum is scheduled for:
    Thursday, September 28 at 5:30 PM - 8 PM
    at the Santa Rosa Veterans Building. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-18-2017 at 12:18 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Dustyg

I agree. This is a very important position, influencing, among other important issues, how inmates are handled in the jail. Please take the advice just mentioned to check out interviews with the candidates.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-18-2017 at 12:18 AM.

8. TopTop #5
    rossmen

Seems a little soon to endorse anyone. Thank the Goddess we have choice this time. The last elected lawman took the department in the wrong direction and I worry that his appointee with throw in his hat despite promises. If you're interested in justice and the people who have no hope for it, this is the most important electoral choice here in soco. Foxworthy is cool, munce too, oleveras nix. Let's check them out and see who can handle a high pressure public job with intense player pressure, and still retain compassion while leading law enforcement in a new direction. Hope there's a video for the first meet and greet.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I have endorsed Jay Foxworthy, currently a deputy in the San Francisco Police Department. He lives here in Sonoma County. I have posted something about him elsewhere on Waccobb.net. He was brought to my attention by a progressive Santa Rosa City Council member.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Shepherd

The following from sheriff candidate Jay Foxworthy announces his Nov. 16, 6 p.m. Campaign Kickoff at the Glaser Center in Santa Rosa. Note the first paragraph, which is an argument by many at that link against the claim that it is to early to make an endorsement. Carpe Deim! Seize the time!

These first couple of months of campaigning have been a whirlwind!

I'm very proud of the endorsements I've earned so far, including from former State Senator Mark Leno, Pennsylvania State Representative Brian Sims, Petaluma Mayor David Glass, Santa Rosa City Councilwoman Julie Combs, dozens of law enforcement officers, and scores of community leaders.

I've met so many amazing people individually that now I just want to bring everyone together and kickoff this campaign with a big party!

Please Save the Date for our official Campaign Kickoff (more details to follow):

November 16 (Thurs.) at 6:00 PM
    The Glaser Center
    547 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa

Our DONATE page is ready to take your contribution for this major fundraising event. You can also RSVP on our Facebook Event Page or by emailing my campaign manager Victoria at [email protected]. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

We all know the challenges we face locally, and nationally. We know they're serious and we know what's at stake. I remain steadfast in my promise to run an honest campaign where the most important issues are debated openly... but that doesn't mean we can't have fun every once in a while.

Please save November 16 at 6:00 PM in your calendar and support my campaign to "Serve All of Sonoma County" as our next Sheriff.

Sincerely, Jay Foxworthy

[email protected]
    707-235-5713

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Seems a little soon to endorse anyone. Thank the Goddess we have choice this time. The last elected lawman took the department in the wrong direction ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2017 at 01:06 AM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Codyboy1

Captain Mark Essick has my support-he is in West County constantly and responds when ever needed for questions/issues, etc. He is aware change is needed out here.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    beshiva

it's most important to really check out these people. i am sorry to say that if every Progressive in the County who could vote, did vote, Foxworthy wouldn't make it and yet, he is the most honest candidate. he is the most forthright, and truly wants to see change in this county- which is so sorely needed as we've had nothing for many years remotely resembling a Sheriff Dept. that serves the communities it's supposed to be protecting. there has been a thug mentality in this county for way too long- if people are really interested in change and some equality then take this election seriously.

Mutz, also has a track record of change and has been in Law Enforcement for many many years (if i'm not mistaken twice as long as Foxworthy. and he at least tries to listen intently to what the deep problems are in our county.

Essick was the Deputy who was in charge and commander for the complete debacle a few years back where a man in Larkfield killed himself. they came in with military equipment and destroyed his home- this man was alone in his home, he had had an argument with his wife who was no longer in the house by the way, they came in without a warrant, without even so much as negotiations or mental health crisis individuals even though they had many hours to talk this scared individual out. it was a mess, and Essick refuses to hold any responsibility whatsoever.

Essick was also on the Task Force, a shill for Freitas, he did not participate hardly at all, and he voted down 20 of the 21 final recommendations the task force proposed to the Board of Supervisors. (Really) he never wanted change then- he certainly does not want it now. status quo is good enough for him...and most recently, he answered questions by some activists, and basically, most of his answers were that he won't change anything unless he is Forced by law to do so. Wow! way to go. he refused to be interviewed by the Community Action Coalition, who are conducting interviews with various candidates, he is arrogant, dangerous and incapable of change....

Olivares, and Basurto, are lock-step cops (keep in mind Freitas supports Basurto), and you know what we got with Freitas, a Sheriff who never engaged with the community, backed up thug cops, allowed profiling, refused to give Eric Gelhaus (who killed Andy Lopez) a desk job even though communities are scared shitless of him..and he left early because Gawd forbid the huge lawsuits which the County will be paying out for Sheriff misconduct, he wouldn't want it to be on his watch! and Freitas was informed many many times over the years that the Civil Rights Commission when they came here 20 years ago, strongly recommended Sonoma County needed Oversight of Law Enforcement. he resisted it throughout his term, he resisted it every step of the way, and even after Andy Lopez was killed, he refused to allow the Board of Supervisors to use the word "oversight" in their new office which now must be called "overview". Essick supported Freitas and All his policies.
    i don't support any of these people by the way- would have supported Foxworthy however, he supports the use of tasers which have killed hundreds of people across this country-

and lastly, if anyone has the stomach for it, Watch the movie "Killing them Safely"!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2017 at 01:11 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

16. TopTop #9
    beshiva

Tasers are now used in many law enforcement departments across the country..there is no oversight of them, and they were basically sold to LE by private taser company- they Kill, they are a lethal weapon. and if law enforcement tells you they are "less lethal" they are lying to you...you can't have the word "less" in there.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2017 at 01:11 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #10
    wisewomn

FYI y'all: John Crowley and Matt Maguire are at it again: Two Micks and a Mic will be airing tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. on 103.3 FM, KPCA. We will also be streaming live at www.kpca.fm. Hit the Listen Live button to connect on line.

In addition to our usual political and community commentary, we are having John Mutz, one of the two progressive candidates for County Sheriff, on as our guest.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2017 at 01:12 AM.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #11
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Codyboy1: View Post
    Captain Mark Essick has my support-he is in West County constantly and responds when ever needed for questions/issues, etc. He is aware change is needed out here.
    On another forum Essick the candidate implored the public to call in to the sheriff if something needs to be taken care of. "If you don't call we won't know". OK, fair enough. Then people brought up several long standing issues in the river community, specific things that had been openly going on for 10 years or more like meth dealing houses. Folks said we call and call but nothing ever gets done. Essick goes silent. Same old stuff with Essick, I fear.

21. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

22. TopTop #12
    MikeH

Progressive candidates will alienate moderate voters and boost Essick over the top.

They'd be better served by thinking hard about what their message should be.
    Essick is actually vulnerable on issues he is presumed to be strong on. The one mentioned above is a good example.

What IS your message??? Can you speak to moderate voters as well?
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand   Expand  

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13
    beshiva

unfortunately, Essick already has the backing of the Sheriff"s Union, wholeheartedly.
    yes, it seems he may wel be the next Sheriff and so the seemingly un-opposed elections for the last quarter of a century, were coming to an end and there might finally be a choice, it will not be so.

Essick, though he claims he was not an (official) member of the Task Force and was only doing the bidding of Sheriff Freitas, as some have said, Freitas didn't put a gun to his head....he could have voted freely.
    however, he chose to be Freitas' shill and an impediment to any real oversight of law enforcement in our County. Moderates should be asking him "Why"?... it speaks volumes as to what his leadership will look like and so there is no surprise here.

Moderate voters must look at his record and his efforts towards healthy change for Sonoma County or whether it's still going to be a them vs. us mentality when it comes to law enforcement. and to what purpose would that serve?E]
    Last edited by Barry; 09-22-2017 at 01:35 AM.

25. TopTop #14
    Jay Foxworthy

I hope that everyone in Sonoma County takes the time to visit the candidate's web pages and read their policies. Oh, wait I am the only candidate talking about policy and telling people what it is I want to do as Sheriff. This election is so important for the future of Law Enforcement in our county the way we deal with immigration and homelessness are just two of the many important issues we face. I am posting down below a link to my policy page.

https://wwww.foxworthyforsheriff.com...fs-office.html

Jay A. Foxworthy
    Last edited by Barry; 09-23-2017 at 01:46 AM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

27. TopTop #15
    Shepherd

As many of you know about me, my family is the most important part of my life. My husband and my children are my world. It is with a very heavy heart that I have to share that my family is going through a major medical crisis. This crisis will take all of our time and attention to heal and to make sure that our family can one day be healthy and whole again. I appreciate everyone respecting my family’s privacy as we go through this process.

Therefore, I’m announcing the difficult decision to end my campaign for Sonoma County Sheriff.

I do not make this decision lightly. I have taken some time to consider how I might both take care of my family, and continue to talk about the issues that I deeply care about seeing changed in our county. For me, this race was always about making sure my home county was a safe place for everyone; a place where no one should have to feel afraid or unsafe. I still very much care about these issues and will continue to raise my voice in support of that change. I will continue to talk about immigration, Andy Lopez, the demonization of the homeless, and yard counseling, because I believe that these issues are important for all of us in Sonoma County.

I have been struggling with whether or not I should attend the Candidate Forum scheduled for Thursday, September 28. After much thought and seeking the council of others, I feel like I would do more harm than good if I participated in this this important public forum while knowing I could not continue in the campaign. I have withdrawn from the forum, but I do hope the remaining four candidates will engage in a robust debate in my absence.

For much of my life, I have had to overcome obstacles. From growing up with a mentally ill and substance abusing parent and being raised homeless, to fighting for the right to be an openly gay husband and a father, my unique experiences have taught me the power of using one’s voice for change. It was my hope to be that voice for those who feel like they have don’t have one in our Sheriff’s Department. But to those who are feeling silenced and powerless, let me assure you… you do have a voice and a right to be heard.

I will continue to speak up and to use my voice where I can. But my family needs this time to take care of each other and I am asking your understanding in this.

I am forever grateful for your support.

Sincerely,
    Jay Foxworthy
    Last edited by Barry; 09-28-2017 at 01:40 AM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

29. TopTop #16
    Tibetan Gallery & Studio

We are so sad to hear he has just withdrawn!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-28-2017 at 01:46 AM.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #17
    Shandi

A refreshingly open and honest statement, in addition to being a sad one. This is an example of the kind of person we need more of in politics. My hope is that healing can happen for this family, for the highest good of all concerned. Thank you Jay for being who you are, and sharing your truth with us.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd:
    As many of you know about me, my family is the most important part of my life. My husband and my children are my world. It is with a very heavy heart that I have to share that my family is going through a major medical crisis. This crisis will take all of our time and attention to heal and to make sure that our family can one day be healthy and whole again. I appreciate everyone respecting my family’s privacy as we go through this process.

Therefore, I’m announcing the difficult decision to end my campaign for Sonoma County Sheriff.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-29-2017 at 02:09 AM.

32. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  33. TopTop #18
    Shepherd

Today's PD has an article on yesterday's forum of candidates for sheriff. Did any of you go? If so, what was your take-away? After listening, whom do you support and why?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-30-2017 at 01:49 AM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

35. TopTop #19
    Dustyg

To Jay Foxworthy: I'm very sorry to hear of the medical difficulties your family is undergoing. You would have, without question, been my #1 hope for our new Sheriff...we need voices like yours! I wish you well, and hope that you may be available again in the future to help us to be heard. Thank you, and best wishes, dustyg
    Last edited by Barry; 09-30-2017 at 01:50 AM.

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #20
    beshiva

yes, he Was probably the Only candidate with a heart and wanted to see systemic change. this is not to say he didn't have need some education on some important issues in the Sheriff Department since they've been allowed to run amok and lack discipline for so long they need a tremendous amount of work- well, simply, they have needed "Oversight" for which we still basically have nothing except a very impotent overview office that can't oversee anything whatsoever, except Administration misconduct affairs...that's it!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    To Jay Foxworthy: I'm very sorry to hear of the medical difficulties your family is undergoing. You would have, without question, been my #1 hope for our new Sheriff...we need voices like yours! I wish you well, and hope that you may be available again in the future to help us to be heard. Thank you, and best wishes, dustyg

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #21
    MikeH

It is down to only three at this point, UNFORTUNATELY. I'd vote for Mutz, arriving st that by the process of elimination.

Here is the Press Democrat summary of the recent debate.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/home/8...-violence-spur

excerpt -

Essick, 48, of Cloverdale, the only one of the three still working in law enforcement, agreed with Mutz on the need for the sheriff to be “standing on the front porch” and “taking the heat” when things go bad.
    But he said Mutz’s promise to make the department workforce half women in four or five years was not realistic because of recruitment challenges.

And he criticized his opponents as lacking the current experience to manage a department with 650 employees and a $180 million budget. Olivares retired from police work 10 years ago and Mutz has been off the force for nearly 20 years, he said.

“I wouldn’t vote for either of them,” Essick said when asked to rate the two men. “They are not qualified to run the Sheriff’s Office.”

The response by the candidate endorsed by rank-and-file deputies, outgoing Sheriff Rob Giordano and most of the Board of Supervisors drew some boos.

Last edited by Barry; 02-17-2018 at 08:22 AM.

40. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

41. TopTop #22
    Shepherd

From following this important sheriff's election and reading the entire PD article, I plan to stick with my plan to vote for Mutz. Both of the other candidates would clearly continue practices as usual, which include the unnecessary and even rewarding of the killing of Andy Lopez.

42. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

43. TopTop #23
    beshiva

Mutz is surely the Only candidate who might have an iota of integrity to take this job on. i've debated with dear activist friends for months about Mutz because i know he isn't the "answer". However, i acknowledge, he is has more than enough understanding of how dysfunctional law enforcement is in this county.

we have a less than useless DA so law enforcement has no accountability and we can be sure if Essick is elected nothing will change.

Essick is a sociopath. his history in law enforcement is a shame; as he is Everything we don't want in a peace officer...he is brutal, and he supported Freitas' policies without hesitation. Mark Essick was the commanding SWAT team officer, the reckless handling of what should have been a simple response, reigned down hell on a man named Glen Swindell's home in Larkfield a few years back; the Sheriff Department virtually destroyed his home, terrorized the community, and when it was all done, Glen had killed himself (if i even believe that because no real investigation was done)..he destroyed a family, left two children without their father, a man who had never had trouble with law enforcement, had had an argument with his wife, she left the home, he was no longer considered a threat. But, Mark Essick escalated a simple dispute into a full blown arsenal attack. and people of this county should be appalled at this lack of control from Essick. Essick was on the Task Force set up by the Board, after Andy Lopez was killed by Erick Gelhaus to study and make recommendations to better serve the people of Sonoma County. Mark Essick was put on by Freitas, and though he now claims his vote were not his own recommendations but he was representing the Sheriff, why should we believe him?

At that time families in the area came to speak about the lack of communication, and lack of respect they received from the Sheriff Department when their loved ones were killed. Glen Swindell’s wife came that night and spoke too. The whole time these families poured their broken hearts out, Essick was on his Ipad, or phone and didn’t bother to look up or pay any attention to these people. His behavior that night was actually pretty indicative of his overall attitude throughout the Task Force meetings. He voted against any oversight of law enforcement too (oh, I guess he was voting for Freitas) of the 21 recommendations that finally came before the Board of Supervisors, Essick voted against 20 of them. The only thing he was proud of supporting was more law enforcement presence in schools and to add insult to injury, he has turned a blind eye to jail beatings in recent years.

A vote for Essick is like going from the frying pan to the fire and if a picture is a thousand words, take a look at the picture here on Wacco of Essick at the debate-

I first met Mutz when a few years back he came here with an ex-sheriff of Utah, Dub Lawrence and they screened the movie Peace Officer. Dub Lawrence is an officer we Wish we could have here and Mutz was his friend. I’m surprised he decided to run but he realizes it’s a mess here, the good ole boys thug mentality of the Sheriff Department, and I think he would like to see us do better, a lot better. and I hope he can, I only wish he had more support of law enforcement. Then again, why would they want to see a change when they can get away with so much brutality now.

44. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

45. TopTop #24
    Jude Iam

Yes, yes, YES!!!
    Met him a few weeks ago at a Rebuild Sonoma meeting and my mind was made up right then and there.
    For all who'd like to see how you can support his election AND THE FIRST REAL CHANGE OF SHERIFF IN DECADES get in touch with him at https://johnmutzforsonomasheriff.com/contact-us/
    Blessings, Jude

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    Mutz is surely the Only candidate who might have an iota of integrity to take this job on. ...

46. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

47. TopTop #25

I'm definitely voting for Mutz.

He is truly doing community outreach:

1.He was at the "Whose Streets" movie tonight(documentary about the police brutality involved during and after the killing of Michael Brown, ie. "Hands Up! Don't Shoot!").

2.I met him at the Martin Luther King celebration this year,
    3.He also went to the recent Sebastopol Women's Rally, and

Several of my friends affiliated with Sonoma County Peace and Justice Center (aka PJC, in Santa Rosa) told me that as well as
    4. Mutz attended the PJC's award dinner,

5.Mutz also made a presentation at the Peace and Justice Center.

According to some of Mutz's campaign literature, he was involved in law enforcement during and after the incident involving Rodney King and abusive police, pulling the community back together.

He probably isn't perfect, but he seems waaaaay better than the other candidates.

He seems truly sincere about listening and responding to people, ( including me).

Check out his campaign literature--way different than the usual crap.

48. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

49. TopTop #26
    Codyboy1

Re: Sheriff Candidates - what do you know? Yes

Mark Essick is the “ONLY” one for West County-he cares about us and walks the talk-Muth has not worked in law enforcement in 40 years-but loves to go to liberal meetings-really?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    Mutz is surely the Only candidate who might have an iota of integrity to take this job on. ...

50. Gratitude expressed by:

51. TopTop #27
    jbox

Re: Sheriff Candidates - what do you know? Yes

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Codyboy1: View Post
    Mark Essick is the “ONLY” one for West County-he cares about us and walks the talk-Muth has not worked in law enforcement in 40 years-but loves to go to liberal meetings-really?
    Actually, Marcy, Essick is the "more of the same" candidate. He implores citizens to call about tweeker dealer houses and then when folks respond by saying we do call, over and over but nothing ever happens, well, then that's when he goes silent. He is big on lip service, short on results.

52. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

53. TopTop #28
    Codyboy1

Amazingly when ever any of us from FROG or other Community groups email or FB him-he {Essick} responds and action is taken -even when he is off duty. So we all have different opinions-no accusations needed.

54. TopTop #29
    MikeH

I recall having very active methamphetamine dealing going on next door at the slum rental and the Sheriff Office allowed it to go on a very long time. I couldn't believe it. What are we paying taxes for? Is there no awareness at all? Not only was it a nuisance to me, but think of all the brain damage being done to the users, and the affiliated crime such as theft to raise drug buying money, associated domestic violence related to drug use, increased homelessness resulting from drug use. I attribute most of the meth problem in this county to Sheriff Office incompetence.

The particular drug house was only put to an end by eviction by the landlord, with whom I had a contentious relationship. No credit to the Sheriff's Office. Sometimes I think the Sheriff wants lots of drug users running around because it represents job security for them.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/6...micide-suspect

This is what you get when you have incompetent law enforcement unwilling to crack down on methamphetamine: (I went to school with this guy's father btw.)

Dalton Carlson was agitated and armed with a hammer, knife and ammunition outside the west Santa Rosa home he once shared with his estranged wife when police officers arrived Friday morning.

His wife, Jessica Carlson, was dead in the kitchen, killed in a savage attack.

They suspected Carlson — described as disturbed and “running around the street” — was on a stimulant like methamphetamine, and neighbors said he had smashed a car window and climbed on the roof of Jessica Carlson’s Glenbrook Drive home.

55. TopTop #30
    Codyboy1

Yes-landlords and community responsible-unfortunately our DA does not like nuisance arrests-until they get deadly -Sheriff’s hands tied-anyway-enough said-don’t want to sucked into engagement vortex-just staying my own opinion re: Sheriff