Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

The Fall of the American Empire

Journalist Chris Hedges compared the pending fall of the American Empire to the fall of the Roman Empire this morning. He spoke on KPFA-FM, 94.1, on their daily "Letters and Politics" program. He did a careful analysis of the ruling class back then that bought the emperorships, as Trump bought the presidency. I would imagine that his insightful historical analysis could be heard by going to KPFA's website. If this comparison is correct, we can expect a considerable amount of chaos as the American Empire perishes, hopefully, and is replaced by something better.

I liked Hedges description of Trump as an "incompetent fascist," which he is, and Pence as a "competent fascist." He detailed how one Roman emperor after another failed, including half a dozen in one year. I do not expect Trump to finish his presidency. Then we need to get rid of Pence, which might be harder to do.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    There are different kinds of capitalisms. We are experiencing brutal capitalism. It is my opinion that the American Empire is coming to an end. My hope is that the values of the American Republic and the Statue of Liberty will remain as we implode, possibly into separate entities, like the Soviet Empire did. Instead we are besieged by the denial of the right to vote to people of color and discrimination against women, people because of their religion, gender choice, country of origin, etc. Everything that lives dies.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-31-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    wisewomn

Re: The Fall of the American Empire

Here's a link to the program (which aired yesterday). It's good for 2 weeks, I think.
    https://kpfa.org/?s=Chris+Hedges

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Journalist Chris Hedges compared the pending fall of the American Empire to the fall of the Roman Empire this morning. He spoke on KPFA-FM, 94.1, on their daily "Letters and Politics" program. He did a careful analysis of the ruling class back then that bought the emperorships, as Trump bought the presidency. I would imagine that his insightful historical analysis could be heard by going to KPFA's website. If this comparison is correct, we can expect a considerable amount of chaos as the American Empire perishes, hopefully, and is replaced by something better.

I liked Hedges description of Trump as an "incompetent fascist," which he is, and Pence as a "competent fascist." He detailed how one Roman emperor after another failed, including half a dozen in one year. I do not expect Trump to finish his presidency. Then we need to get rid of Pence, which might be harder to do.

4. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Re: The Fall of the American Empire

Chris Hedges was yesterday, Monday. The great historian Howard Zinn, author of "A People's History of the United States," was on KPFA this afternoon--a recording from decades ago. It sounded as if he was speaking about today.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Are you sure that was today, Shepherd?

I went to the KPFA archives for today ("Letters and Politics') and it played/listed a program about Capitalism: Adam Smith and Karl Marx. Nothing with Chris Hedges.

???