Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    ChefJayTay

Re: Use of chemicals confirmed at strawberry stand - Still true?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    Read the first post. I did mistake Sonoma West Times and News for PD.
    I'm not your chief, boss.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #62
    luke32

Re: Use of chemicals confirmed at strawberry stand - Still true?

Fair enough, Chef. Although I still believe that some of the seeming "lie' can be laid at the feet of English being their second language. I also believe that the initial question posed by the SWTN reporter probably was along the line of do you apply pesticides to your strawberries? And the literal answer, especially to a non-native English speaker, was "no"'. I think the Laos' answer meant "we don't apply pesticides to strawberries" (but we do apply Roundup to weeds in the area). I think to someone whose first language is not English the answer would not seem to be evasive, and certainly not a lie.

I think there is a big gulf between the background of West County environmentalists with years of sensitivity to the dangers of pesticides and the background of an immigrant family which tries to make a living from farming. And I certainly think the use of the word "lie', as reprehensible as that is to all of us - particularly these days - is not in order when talking about the Laos, first generation Americans, in their colloquy with the SWTN reporter, who also probably was not the most skilled.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Read the first post. I did mistake Sonoma West Times and News for PD.
    I'm not your chief, boss.

3. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

4. TopTop #63
    nicofrog

Re: Use of chemicals confirmed at strawberry stand

the company that produced that first tests on round up CHEATED on the tests(I think it was Dow or Du Pont) when apprehended ,they paid a million dollar fine and kept right on making the crap without further testing Roundup was and is one of the first water based poisons ever that makes it extremely dangerous ,I was sod to see the Europeans have finally folded to monsatanos pressure very bad news .

it is easy to grow strawberries without chemicals,but it takes more LABOR . and then they cost more

if that stand has any sign-age that says they are organic is should be easy enough to bust them.

I'd say Don't shop there! Never eat anything strawberry flavored the pesticides that are legal to use are horrible for you, especially children.

there was a huge line at the stand today! sad.

I feel also for the farmers ,they just want to eek out a living ,but they should wize up!

many grape orchards use round up between rows if you see bare ground there ,that what's up dont buy THAT wine .I'd like to find a list of wines that use it and post it and go on YELP about it.

fava beans between the rows !! 100% better idea.

5. Gratitude expressed by 6 members: