Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Shepherd

Re: Use of chemicals confirmed at strawberry stand

I just drove by Andy's on Highway 116, near Occidental Rd. They are offering organic strawberries for $2.50. If you support this Highway 12 stand you are supporting dishonesty. It is bad enough that they use that killer Roundup, and just as bad that they lie by saying they are "no spray." Support ethical farmers, not those who lie.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #32
    karenm97

Ah, yes, but are those Driscoll's berries? There is an ongoing boycott against them for labor violations. I can't imagine how little the folks who picked berries that can be sold at that price must have gotten paid. Here is an example of what they got paid as of when this photo was taken:

The group from Washington state did agree this week to go back to work, but the folks in Baja California are still striking.

Please go to the farmers' market or farmstand if you can and buy direct from a grower.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I just drove by Andy's on Highway 116, near Occidental Rd. They are offering organic strawberries for $2.50. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-24-2017 at 09:00 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #33
    Shepherd

Thanks, Karen, for these important details. Driscoll is indeed a problem. I am not sure if those strawberries at Andy's are Driscoll's. Perhaps the next time someone goes by there they can take a look and let us know.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by karenm97: View Post
    Ah, yes, but are those Driscoll's berries? There is an ongoing boycott against them for labor violations. ...

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #34
    BobHeisler

I used to love eating Driscoll's strawberries. Then, last year I saw a documentary about the company on Vice, the documentary series on HBO for which Bill Maher is the executive producer. Driscoll's employs workers for very low wages and forces them to work very long days with no bodily protection and no benefits whatsoever. After watching this program I felt that I could no longer buy Driscoll's products in good conscience.

Thanks, Karen, for these important details. Driscoll is indeed a problem. I am not sure if those strawberries at Andy's are Driscoll's. Perhaps the next time someone goes by there they can take a look and let us know.

8. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

9. TopTop #35
    Runningbare

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    Quite honestly, I make a conscious choice to support this particular small farmer. I rinse off my strawberries of course, but I'm very absolutely certain (willing to bet my life on it) that I'm not getting out of this life alive, and one thing or another is going to kill me. While I'm certain that there are people here who wish to attempt to live forever, I'd rather live than be so busy worrying about everything that could possibly hurt me.
    Just my - not that I can afford much more.
    He's a real Nowhere Man
    Sitting in his Nowhere Land
    Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

Doesn't have a point of view
    Knows not where he's going to
    Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
    You don't know what you're missing
    Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He's as blind as he can be
    Just sees what he wants to see
    Nowhere Man, can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don't worry
    Take your time, don't hurry
    Leave it all 'til somebody else lends you a hand

Doesn't have a point of view
    Knows not where he's going to
    Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
    You don't know what you're missing
    Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He's a real Nowhere Man
    Sitting in his Nowhere Land
    Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

10. TopTop #36
    Imagery

I just drove by Andy's on Highway 116, near Occidental Rd. They are offering organic strawberries for $2.50. If you support this Highway 12 stand you are supporting dishonesty. It is bad enough that they use that killer Roundup, and just as bad that they lie by saying they are "no spray." Support ethical farmers, not those who lie.
    Sadly, this is one reason I choose NOT to actively participate in these forums very often. To tell the truth, I haven't concerned myself with whether these strawberries have been sprayed or not. I've never asked farmer Lao if he sprays them, uses ladybugs, practices 'aura healing' or chants to these berries. I get met with judgments on how bad I am because I am "supporting dishonesty".

I've quit counting the number of times when a guest says that if they don't get (insert unreasonable request here), that they will leave us negative feedback on social media, or tell all their friends that we are a horrible place...as if they are a huge deal on the internet and they can destroy our business with a few words. Once, I finally told the caller that she could do us a favor by having our attorneys present when she wrote her unfavorable review, so the slander suit could commence immediately. The funny thing was, she didn't even patronize our business.

In this world of 'nano-truths' and 'alternative facts', we need to focus more on the creation of positive energy.

-Gregory

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #37
    wisewomn

Um, with all due respect, Runningbare, what the hell is this supposed to mean? Other than that you are a Beatles fan, that is.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Runningbare: View Post
    He's a real Nowhere Man...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2017 at 11:59 AM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

14. TopTop #38
    Ronaldo

"Shooting the messenger" hardly creates positive energy.
    Name:  shoot_messenger.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  71.5 KB

...In this world of 'nano-truths' and 'alternative facts', we need to focus more on the creation of positive energy.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-24-2017 at 07:59 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #39
    joybird

Of course we make choices regarding which hazards are of concern to us and our personal longevity / survival or not. Choosing organics is about the earth , the other critters, and our future generations. A little Round Up might only hurt you a little. But it's the aggregate that is a big problem.

Joybird
    aka Joy

Quite honestly, I make a conscious choice to support this particular small farmer. I rinse off my strawberries of course, but ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2017 at 12:00 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

18. TopTop #40
    O.W.

Re: Maps to help tourists and citizens navigate food safety?

Wine and Water Watch (www.winewaterwatch.org) has a list of organic and other vineyards that it recommends, though not a map, on its website.
    (I have also)
    Several times Shepherd has also posted Pam Strayer's article on chemicals used in Sonoma County vineyards. Part of her article and research are maps that show the concentration of toxic chemicals that she has researched. It has even been published here on this site some time ago. I suggest if you think you are relatively free of chemicals, think again. Here is the article with maps.

Until our wine beholden county government does the right thing and does a county wide cumulative impact of this toxic industry, we will all be getting a daily dose of their poisons, no matter where you live. This is why movements like CELDF are gaining momentum. Profits should never supersede the right of citizens to health, We've all been sold a pile of lies. We CAN have a healthy environment and corporations can still make profits and the rights of nature can be recognized. Without a healthy environment, don't expect much future for the next generation.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #41
    Shepherd

Following is a link to our brave state of California rebuking Monsanto's Roundup by putting it on the Cancer Watchlist. This is the killer that the main user in Sonoma County is the wine industry. It is also used frequently by the beloved Highway 12 strawberry stand, in spite of their denial that they are "no spray."

Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2017 at 02:45 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

22. TopTop #42
    Runningbare

Quote Posted in reply to the post by O.W.: View Post
    ...I suggest if you think you are relatively free of chemicals, think again. Here is the article with maps. ...

In the link above, Pam Strayer made a notable discovery:

"Bad Ole Boys: Sonoma Wine Grape Growers Lead the State in Mancozeb Use

The most surprising thing I discovered when I tallied up the chemicals of concern used on Sonoma’s vines was that Sonoma is the highest user – by far – of an old school, very toxic fungicide called Mancozeb, little used in the rest of the state.
    Since 2004, Mancozeb’s use in wine grape vineyards has dropped 50 percent.
    In 2004 wine grape growers used 25,577 pounds on 19,714 acres. In 2014, that figure declined to 12,284 pounds statewide over 8,079 acres in 2014.
    Yet Sonoma growers account for full two thirds of the total Mancozeb used today on California wine grapes, applying 8,148 pounds on 5,246 acres in the county. Why?
    Most of the Mancozeb used in Sonoma County is applied by a few growers and wineries who use Manzate, which is a fungicide that contains Mancozeb. Another product that’s used that contains Mancozeb is Dithane.

There are more than 10 different companies that report using Mancozeb. Those who use it most frequently are:

• VinePro Vineyard (various locations)*
    • North Coast Vineyard Management (various locations)*
    • Dutton Ranch (more than 150 locations) – certified sustainable
    Massoni Ranch (various locations) – certified sustainable
    • A. Rafanelli (West Dry Creek Road locations) – certified sustainable

(*Vineyard management companies)

Note: These three wineries on the list of the top 5 are all “certified sustainable” by the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance."

Ever wonder why the Sonoma County Treasurer deems it necessary and appropriate to post the following duplicitous declaration on the backs of envelopes mailed annually with property tax statements? Titled "NOTICE: RIGHT TO FARM", it reads:

“The County of Sonoma has declared it a policy to protect and encourage agricultural operations. If your property is located near an agricultural operation, you may at some times be subject to inconvenience or discomfort arising from agricultural operations. If conducted in a manner consistent with proper and accepted standards, said inconveniences and discomforts are hereby deemed not to constitute a nuisance for purposes of the Sonoma County Code."

This "NOTICE" amounts to thinly disguised coercion whereby we are admonished to don their specially tailored legalistic straightjacket while we endure having notoriously bad medicine shoved down our unwilling throats. In this manner the Sonoma County Code cozily ensconses the wine cartel's Code of Coercion.

The claimed "RIGHT TO FARM" in actual practice, on the ground and in the air, signals the right to devastate the entire community, from the health of its residents to air & water quality, groundwater and resource depletion, eradication of irreplaceable and invaluable oak woodlands, monoculturally induced blights, lasting ecological damage caused by relentless applications of insecticides, pesticides, fungicides--the list of grievances is endless.

Here in wine country, "agricultural operations" is essentially code for vineyards. (Likewise "inconveniences and discomforts" are code for environmental and public health travesties.) WHOSE agricultural operations? Obviously we're not talking about organic growers of lettuce, spinach, garlic, & carrots. A sustainable confusion is conjured between on the one hand, diversified farms with the quaint image of barnyards & butterflies, children & families; and on the other, unduly modernized, highly impersonal, sanitized corporate agribusiness monokultural misoperations. Who will protect the humble dirtclod farm from the exuberant spillover of neighboring sprauling agrikultural sloperations, where the money shines so brightly that it blinds corporate owners to the stifling costs to public health and the environment?

". . .you may at some times be subject to . . ." Not "subjected" to . . .? Pedantic distinction or significant difference? Are we the second-class citizenry hereby further reduced to mere vassals?

". . .at some times . . ." is conveniently vague. Does this mean once in a blue moon, or with unlimited rate of incidence? We can be sure it does mean without benefit of warning to allow time to prepare for inevitable drift:
    --Sorry if it was a warm summer evening and you had all the windows open at 2 AM.
    --Sorry if your laundry was hanging outside on your energy-efficient green solar/lunar clothesdryer.
    --Sorry if the rest of your clothes were hanging in the closet.
    --Sorry if you were trying to grow something organic.
    --Sorry if you thought you had a right to sleep at night--disturbance of the what?
    --Sorry if we're the only ones who had an opportunity to put gas masks and protective clothing on first.
    --Sorry if you wanted to keep breathing . . .

". . .proper and accepted standards" are neither specified nor referenced. Accepted by whom? Who determines these standards, the industry or the people who actually live & die here? The onus of compliance is unilaterally placed on all of us not involved in agribusiness. Conspicuously absent is any mention of sanctions for agricultural aberrations conducted in a manner NOT consistent with . . .standards.

Who authorized this exceptional collusion between the Sonoma County Code and the wine cartel? Will it extend to the newly heralded cannabis industry?
    Why is this preemptive, ominous warning not communicated instead by the Ag Commissioner's Office?
    The doublespeak could perhaps be mirrored: "If you happen to have any serious complaints about the positively sustained, sanctioned, and systematic destruction of our county's precious watershed, we hereby preemptively place the resulting burden of endurance squarely on your shoulders and yours alone."
    Yes, small wonder that community-based environmental movements such as those fostered by CELDF are picking up steam.
    Meanwhile, as Shepherd noted, California just last Monday announced it will finally add glyphosate—the active ingredient in the Monsanto-produced weed killer Roundup—to its list of chemicals known to cause cancer. The decision, made by California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA), was reportedly precipitated by the World Health Organization's classification of glyphosate as a "probable carcinogen" in May of 2015. It only took 2 years. Carry on.

Last edited by Barry; 06-30-2017 at 01:35 PM.

23. TopTop #43

After hearing about the spraying on Hwy 12, many have asked me about the strawberry stand on Stoney Point Rd. Here is what we learned. We at Laguna Farm believe you have a right to know how your food is grown. Knowledge is power.

I have reviewed the records request that you sent to our office regarding the following property:
    735 Stony Point Rd
    Petaluma, CA 94952
    APN: 113-140-045

According to our records there is no evidence of pesticide use reports having been submitted to our office for pesticide applications. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you. ColleenBoe

Department of Agriculture
    133 Aviation Blvd., Ste. 110
    Santa Rosa, CA 95403
    (707) 565-2371
    Last edited by Barry; 06-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

25. TopTop #44
    O.W.

Runningbare, I'd like to thank you for exposing the "sustainable" wine (viticulture not agriculture) industry. Most on that list are also big award winners! Obviously that word means nothing in this county. Until they stop raping our aquifers and poisoning the soil, air and water, there is no way to be sustainable. Our county, through the issuance of permits are deciding for us how much destruction will be allowed. "Right to Farm" should be renamed, thanks for pointing out what it really means in wine country (less than 2% acreage organic/biodynamic). Some famers a great stewards of the land and we thank them for their consciousness and give them our support and appreciation.

A great article from CELDF June 2015, Volume 2 Issue 1, "Regulate Crime" on how our government regulates crime for corporations. Worth a search/read. We have been programmed to think when we see"... bulldozed farmlands, industrial towers, paved parking lots, compromised watersheds, polluted skylines and dirty rivers...we can't have progress without damage".( We don't permit robberies or killings, allow only 100 robberies in this city etc.) ..."Yet when corporate management claims it must commit environmental crimes like air pollution, groundwater contamination, carcinogens in our food stream, mercury in fish populations, blowing tops off mountains, tinkering with the genetics of living beings and thousands of other assaults on nature and the people........" this is progress?

Great read and real food for thought why we standby and allow these crimes against the community. We've been colonized by corporations to think this is right to the determent to our heath, safety and welfare. Time to start calling out the polluters/resource miners for what they are. Sonoma County needs a Community Bill of Rights like 200 communities' across the US are doing with the help of people like CELDF and Movement Rights. Time to take back our government to work for the people first. Corporations originally were not chartered unless they could show "benefit to the community". Wow did we drink the Kool-Aid.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Runningbare: View Post
    In the link above, Pam Strayer made a notable discovery:

"Bad Ole Boys: Sonoma Wine Grape Growers Lead the State in Mancozeb Use...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

27. TopTop #45
    Shepherd

The wine industry is anything but "sustainable," except to sustain their profits, most of which leave the county to the corporate wineries, which continue to buy up local vineyards, wineries, and good land for real food agriculture. According to Go Local, 96% of veggies and fruit sold in Sonoma County are grown outside the county. We have a food security risk.

Wine is an historically boom-and-bust crop, which will surely bust at some point. Then the vineyards will be sub-divided and sold to the highest investors to make expensive mansions. Sonoma County is losing its orchards, redwoods, and other diversity to this mono-crop.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-30-2017 at 01:38 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

29. TopTop #46
    TicketToRide

The wine industry is anything but "sustainable," except to sustain their profits, most of which leave the county to the corporate wineries, which continue to buy up local vineyards, wineries, and good land for real food agriculture. According to Go Local, 96% of veggies and fruit sold in Sonoma County are grown outside the county. We have a food security risk.

Wine is an historically boom-and-bust crop, which will surely bust at some point. Then the vineyards will be sub-divided and sold to the highest investors to make expensive mansions. Sonoma County is losing its orchards, redwoods, and other diversity to this mono-crop.
    I find this comment about the sustainability of the wine industry to be direct, honest and insightful. For thousands of years wine has made its way into our mouths, bellies, heads and hearts ("our" used collectively as ppl in general, not every one of us)...Indeed its physical bond is as potent as the bond it has on our psyche...images of Dionysus frolicking, the telling of Jesus' first miracle, Neil Diamond (UB40 too!) and Red Red Wine!! For me, at least, the notion of this perfect elixir is associated with overall merriment and good vibes. Photos of wine country are iconic -- rolling hills clothed with wonderful rows of grapes, not to mention the cases of wine at prices affordable for the 1% (Chateau Mouton Rothschild) to the 99% (2 Buck Chuck!) and everything in between.

And yet, that is simply a romanticized version of an idea. The truth is that it is a commodity, a business venture, a corporate design, and the human and environmental capital required to "sustain" it is overwhelming. From the chemicals used to produce the "best" fruit...to the toll it takes on the redwoods and other natural diversity in the region...(Of course if you make your own batch of plum wine, that is another thing.) And when the land is done, time to put up some tract housing! "4bed 3 bath starting in the low-mid 600s! Sorry for anyone not making 6 figures...keeping renting!" In essence, it can certainly be viewed as a mono-crop. Perhaps the next time I have a sip and enjoy the floral note, I might also be reminded of the previous post and catch "a hint of boom and bust mono-crop."

30. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

31. TopTop #47
    luke32

Here is some relatively new information regarding the recent labeling of glyphosate (RoundUp) as a probable carcinogen by IRSA, an arm of the WHO. Seems IRSA simply omitted a major review study of glyphosate that showed "...neither carcinogenic or mutagenic properties of glyphosate... Here is the headline from Mother Jones, hardly a mouthpiece for the chemical industry,

A Scientist Didn't Disclose Important Data - And Let Everyone Believe A Popular Weedkiller Causes Cancer

You can also read about the "incident" in the New Yorker

Roundup and Risk Assessment

This is not to say, of course, that the farmer was not at fault for intimating that his strawberries were "organic". I personally believe that his poor English was partly responsible for what customers are quoting he said.

But, Shepherd, I believe you labelled RoundUp as a "killer". What do you think? Still believe that?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-30-2017 at 10:50 AM.

32. TopTop #48
    Shepherd

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    Here is some relatively new information regarding the recent labeling of glyphosate (RoundUp) as a probable carcinogen ...

But, Shepherd, I believe you labelled RoundUp as a "killer". What do you think? Still believe that?
    In response to Luke's question--Yes, I still consider Roundup to kill, especially the most vulnerable, which includes infants, elders, and those with compromised health conditions. It is simply not worth the risk, in my opinion, which is why Calif. and certain European countries require it be labeled as dangerous. The potential costs far outweigh the benefits, especially to Monsanto, which funds much of the studies supporting its big money-maker.

33. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

34. TopTop #49
    luke32

RoundUp OK or bad? Take your pick.. From the NYTimes.

Glyphosate, Top-Selling Weed Killer, Wins E.U. Approval for 5 Years

By DANNY HAKIMNOV. 27, 2017

The European Union voted on Monday to extend its authorization for the world’s best-selling herbicide for an abbreviated period of five years, with France and Germany splitting over the move.

President Emmanuel Macron of France said after the decision was announced that he had asked government officials to draw up a plan for banning the herbicide, glyphosate, in his country within three years. He also posted a message on Twitter with the hashtag #MakeOurPlanetGreatAgain. France led the opposition to allowing the use of glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup and in weed killers made by other companies.

Germany, which had abstained in a previous round of voting on the issue, appeared to help sway the outcome of the vote. Although Angela Merkel, the chancellor, has been unable to form a coalition government after the country’s recent election, Germany’s caretaker government swung its support in favor of the weed killer.

The decision appeared to be contentious even within the caretaker government. A split between ministers was reported by Der Spiegel, with Germany’s environment minister, Barbara Hendricks, a member of the Social Democrats, expressing opposition to glyphosate and blaming Ms. Merkel’s conservative Christian Democrats for the decision. The two parties are in the process of negotiating over potentially creating a new coalition.

The vote on Monday capped an unusually lengthy and combative European review process that unfolded amid claims and counterclaims about the cancer-causing risks of glyphosate.

The deliberations frustrated parties on all sides. Agrochemical companies criticized the review process as driven more by politics than science after it became clear that the weed killer’s use would not be reauthorized for the 15 years typical for such chemicals, or even for 10 years. Environmental advocates said that the agrochemical industry had tainted scientific reviews in Europe by meddling in them.

On Monday, with the herbicide’s registration set to expire next month, 18 of the union’s member states voted in favor of extending its use for five years, nine voted against the proposal and one abstained. The vote was weighted by population size.

The Glyphosate Task Force, an industry group that includes Monsanto and Syngenta, said in a statement that it was “profoundly disappointed at the outcome of today’s meeting whereby member states categorically ignored scientific advice.” The group added that it believed the decision was “not related to any scientific assessment and mainly influenced by public perception and driven by politics.”

Angeliki Lysimachou, an environmental toxicologist at the advocacy group Pesticide Action Network Europe, also found fault with the vote, but from a different perspective. “This decision reveals once again the sad truth that governments are more keen to protect the highly profitable pesticide industry than the health of their people and the environment,” she said.

The use of glyphosate has soared in the United States over the past couple decades as it was paired with crops that were genetically modified to be resistant to it, allowing farmers to use it to kill weeds after crops emerge from the ground. Although Europe has largely eschewed genetically modified crops, glyphosate has also been the best-selling weed killer there as well.

The herbicide became engulfed in controversy after the International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, declared it a probable carcinogen in 2015. That spurred a federal case in the United States over claims that it caused cancer, and prompted California to declare it a carcinogen.

The international agency’s finding has been disputed by many other government bodies, including two in Europe, the European Food Safety Authority and the European Chemicals Agency. The latest major study, published this month by researchers at the National Institutes of Health, “observed no associations between glyphosate use and overall cancer risk.”

35. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

36. TopTop #50
    Allergy Relief Sonoma

Re: Use of chemicals confirmed at strawberry stand - Still true?

Does anyone have an update on whether Farmer Lao's strawberry stand is still using Roundup or other pesticides? Here we are a year further along...

They still have the sweetest and freshest berries I have found in the area.

37. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

38. TopTop #51
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allergy Relief Sonoma: View Post
    Does anyone have .......
    Our local AG department is more interested in collecting fees than actually enforcing anything. I doubt anything will happen unless a public stink is made about it.

Do they actually grow anything on that property?

39. Gratitude expressed by:

40. TopTop #52
    rekarp

What do you think they need to enforce in this case? Growers are allowed to use pesticides.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Our local AG department is more interested in collecting fees than actually enforcing anything. I doubt anything will happen unless a public stink is made about it.

41. TopTop #53
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    What do you think they need to enforce in this case? Growers are allowed to use pesticides.
    As far as roundup? nothing.
    As for having a strawberry stand on a property that is not producing the strawberries being sold (or the eggs or other fruit/veg that finds it's way there)... There absolutely is an issue. Even if they are being grown across town.

42. Gratitude expressed by:

43. TopTop #54
    Shandi

Why is it an issue? I've seen many fruit stands that aren't on the property the fruit was grown on, alongside the road, in Farmer's Markets and so on. There must not be a law that says you can't sell fruit from a stand on a property that wasn't where the fruit was grown. Can you explain more about this, so we learn about these illegal operations, and boycott/expose them?

As far as roundup? nothing.
    As for having a strawberry stand on a property that is not producing the strawberries being sold (or the eggs or other fruit/veg that finds it's way there)... There absolutely is an issue. Even if they are being grown across town.

44. TopTop #55
    Shandi

" no evidence of pesticide use reports having been submitted to our office for pesticide applications"

Does this prove that no pesticides are used?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Laguna Farm: View Post
    After hearing about the spraying on Hwy 12, many have asked me about the strawberry stand on Stoney Point Rd. Here is what we learned. We at Laguna Farm believe you have a right to know how your food is grown. Knowledge is power.

I have reviewed the records request that you sent to our office regarding the following property:
    735 Stony Point Rd
    Petaluma, CA 94952
    APN: 113-140-045

According to our records there is no evidence of pesticide use reports having been submitted to our office for pesticide applications. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you. ColleenBoe

Department of Agriculture
    133 Aviation Blvd., Ste. 110
    Santa Rosa, CA 95403
    (707) 565-2371

45. Gratitude expressed by:

46. TopTop #56
    karenm97

I did a google search and found that one can have a farmstand on a property the farmer owns or leases, so it doesn't have to be the site where the stuff was grown:

https://www.sonoma-county.org/prmd/d...ts/pjr-115.pdf

you're welcome

47. Gratitude expressed by:

48. TopTop #57
    karenm97

There are laws. They can also be searched using your browser (pesticide application law sonoma county for example) and you can find an article about why, as well as links to the laws.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifest...nforce-roundup

I once looked at an Organic property that was available for lease and found a Roundup bottle on the site (of course it is possible it wasn't used on a growing area). So not all use is reported...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post

49. TopTop #58
    MoonMata

Mr Lao rotates his crops and fields. He has a large field in back of the house on which this year's berries are being grown. In the front field, one is fallow, the other has been planted and will have veggies later in the season.

50. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

51. TopTop #59
    ChefJayTay

Mr Lao's staff also lied about their products directly to the press democrat.
    There are things that deserve a second chance... businesses that lie about their products don't fall into that category.

52. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

53. TopTop #60
    luke32

Chief, I cant recall all the thread on this one. Could you please show the reference that indicates Mr. Lao's staff "lied to the PD"?

Much appreciated.
    Mr Lao's staff also lied about their products directly to the press democrat.
    There are things that deserve a second chance... businesses that lie about their products don't fall into that category.