Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    theindependenteye

need cat vet recommendation

We're about to adopt a couple of young kittens as house pets. Who has a local vet they like for their cats? -- Elizabeth Fuller
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    BethLinley

Re: need cat vet recommendation

Analy Vet

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    We're about to adopt a couple of young kittens as house pets. Who has a local vet they like for their cats? -- Elizabeth Fuller

3. TopTop #3
    cw707

Dr. Foley, Sonoma County Mobile Vet Hospital. There's a home visit $ charge for coming to your home, but it's worth the cost for folks who have sensitive kitties/cats, who don't do well at the regular vet's office. No growling, hissing, stress (minor compared to office visits), etc. I needed that for both my cats because of their different personalities and medical issues. Also, for seniors like me, it's not only less stressful for my cats to have the vet come here, but much easier on me. We've seen Dr. Foley for almost 10 years. She's informed, smart, and caring.

4. TopTop #4
    Bonnie288

Sue Buxton, Companion Animal Mobile Vet, [email protected].
    Sue is the best. She will come to you or you can take your kitties to her on Gravenstein Hwy. near Antique Society. She's been our vet for over thirty years. She's kind, caring, smart and loves animals.

5. TopTop #5
    Shandi

I'm curious if you've had cats before. Not that it matters, but for newbies, there's so much to know. And there's a lot to learn about how to choose a vet. Because although they may have similar training, their opinions vary quite a bit, and when we follow their instructions, we're basically buying into their opinions. Like some vets declaw kittens and cats; it's a profitable little surgery. And cat guardians who value their furniture more than their cats, opt for this, not knowing or caring that a non surgical solution exists.

Some vets believe that dry food "cleans" cat's teeth, and that wet food is bad for them. Dry food causes many problems that also bring profits from teeth issues, urinary tract infections, weight gain, and other health problems. The best food for cats is raw, as they would naturally eat. Some vets are totally against it. It's like preventative medicine, and they're in the "treatment" business.

Many vets will insist on yearly vaccinations, again a highly profitable activity.

There's a lot to know, and knowing how to choose a vet is one of the hardest things. Most people get recommendations from friends who say their vet is "so nice and friendly". I've never met a vet that wasn't smiling; after all, we represent dollar bills (lots of them!) Who doesn't smile at their clients?

I've taken my cat to several vets, and even had one (listed here) reject me because I was too involved and concerned about what drugs would be given. They don't appreciate being questioned....

If you want to contact me, I can give you some more details about my experiences and some things I've learned in my recent years of research. Also, some very helpful websites to check out, so you'll know more about how to keep your kitties healthy, for a long time, barring any inherited health issues.

I have a FB page if you want to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/CATAdvocate I'm not selling anything, just providing valuable information.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #6
    cre8tress

The experience we had at VCA Forestville Animal Hospital: They were thorough, gave us options, and were so very caring about our Shiloh kitty!