Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Haiku Harbor
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Jim Wilson

Haiku Harbor

On Thursday, April 13th, at 7:30 PM, at Many Rivers I will be giving a talk on English Language Haiku. This is a relatively new form for English poetry. It came to the U.S. in the early 20th century, but those early efforts were very marginal and were sidelined by W.W. II. It was only in the late 50's and early 60's that English Language Haiku began to take root. Surprisingly, it has become a very successful form. Major poets like Richard Wilbur, Paul Muldoon, Seamus Heaney, Mary Jo Salter, Edith Shiffert and many others have written haiku. Richard Wright wrote what I think of as the best collection of English haiku yet written. And haiku has spread to the popular level as well. There are even children's books in haiku form.

The relaxed evening will take a look at some haiku by both the well-known and the not so well-known. I will offer examples of haiku I have a special fondness for and then we will have a discussion about what makes this haiku work, or why you think it doesn't work. Woven into this presentation will be an appreciation of Edith Shiffert, a significant English Language Haiku poet who passed away in January of this year at the age of 101. I find her haiku to be superbly crafted and thoughtful. She lived in Kyoto for over 60 years, was fluent in Japanese, translated some Japanese haiku poets, and in general set a good example for how English Language Haiku can work.

The presenter, Jim Wilson, has been involved with Japanese forms in English for over 30 years. He published the first journal in English devoted to the Japanese form of Renga. He has published two collections of renga, one collection of tanka (another Japanese form), and three collections of haiku.

Date: April 13th
    Day: Thursday
    Time: 7:30 PM
    Where: Many Rivers Books & Tea, 130 S. Main Street
    Cost: By donation
    Questions?: Please call Many Rivers at 829-8871
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Haiku Harbor

This seems like an interesting evening. Following is one of my favorite haiku poems, by Basho, translated from Japanese into English. I like how it flows.

Icecyles and water
    Old differences, dissolved,
    And drip down together

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jim Wilson: View Post
    On Thursday, April 13th, at 7:30 PM, at Many Rivers I will be giving a talk on English Language Haiku. T...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2017 at 10:25 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Jim Wilson

Re: Haiku Harbor

Thanks, Shepherd, for the post. I'm not familiar with this choice of Basho, but I enjoy the way it moves from an exterior observation of nature into the human mind so that the two become reflections of each other.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    This seems like an interesting evening. Following is one of my favorite haiku poems, by Basho, translated from Japanese into English. I like how it flows.

Icecyles and water
    Old differences, dissolved,
    And drip down together
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2017 at 10:26 AM.