Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Bernie
    Supporting Member

Chemical Sensitivity and Our Local Schools

To help a family moving to the North Bay choose a town and neighborhood where they would like to settle, I'd like some help as their Realtor, especially if you are chemically sensitive or have someone close to you struggling to safely navigate our modern world. These parents are considering West County for the health benefits that the weather and natural surroundings already offer. They have two children for whom they also want to insure a healthy and safe elementary school environment.

Toward that end, I have briefly surveyed a few school districts nearby about their policies and practices for the protection of their students, teachers and staff.

An ideal school would have an Integrated Pest Management plan, perform regular maintenance of their heating, AC & ventilation systems and would quickly fix any water intrusions to prevent mold infestations. They would be guided by green building standards for any construction and remodels and they would time their indoor painting, with non-VOC paints, adhesives and solvents, when rooms were not being used. They also would have already done lead and asbestos testing and any abatement as indicated.

Their preferred school district would serve only fresh, unprocessed, organic foods and insure clean drinking water. They would give purchasing direction to stay away from toxins, pollutants, odors and hazards, including for art supplies. Cleaning would be done with soap & water, and they would not use aerosols or air fresheners. Adults and children alike would be educated about the negative affects of using perfumes, aftershaves and fabric softeners. Obviously, the school grounds would also be tobacco free.

Also the school grounds would be kept free of debris and walkways kept unobstructed. They would minimize automobile traffic by encouraging students, teachers and staff to walk, bike, use carpools or public transit if possible.

In visiting a few district offices I found the Petaluma School District to have comprehensive policies that the office personnel were anxious to share. The same was true when I visited the Harmony District as Salmon Creek. It is clear to me that this one large and one small district are clearly aware of the needs of chemically sensitive individuals and the heath affects to all. A sign on the door to the Twin Hills office read "we are scent-sitive; for the health and consideration of others, please try to refrain from using perfume/cologne and other scented products."

My visits to both the Sebastopol and Gravenstein District offices were very disappointing, as the first and second levels of reception could not offer any knowledge of policies or practices along these lines. The receptionist at the Twig Ave office stated that she personally wore perfume. The office manager there cited the California State Safe Schools Act as their guide, which does address issues of abuse, bullying and gun safety but not the kinds of health related issues I was asking about.

Anyway, I would appreciate additional information on this subject with regard to school policies and experiences you may have had that can help guide my clients wanting to relocate to one of our health conscious communities here in the North Bay.

Thanks, Bernie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Chemical Sensitivity and Our Local Schools

Although I don't have children in school, I appreciate your investigative efforts in this regard. I'm kind of surprised that the Sebastopol and Gravenstein districts don't have policies in place to protect the children from the well known effects of multiple toxic hazards.

Many parents want to live in Sebastopol, and cite the higher educational standards, but are obviously unaware of the health consequences that their children may be exposed to. Or they may be aware, as evidenced by some protests about the vineyard spraying, but may not have enough clout to convince schools to initiate new policies.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bernie: View Post
    To help a family moving to the North Bay choose a town and neighborhood where they would like to settle, I'd like some help as their Realtor, especially if you are chemically sensitive or have someone close to you struggling to safely navigate our modern world. ....

4. TopTop #3
    karenm97

Re: Chemical Sensitivity and Our Local Schools

I have a friend whose child has MCS and lives in Petaluma. I know that there was at least one year when her kid had to start school after the rainy season started because the school grounds had been sprayed (Roundup) before the school year started. I don't recall what school it was. It has helped that family to have a note from the child's doctor about the disability that she has from pesticide exposures.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bernie: View Post
    To help a family moving to the North Bay choose a town and neighborhood where they would like to settle, I'd like some help as their Realtor, especially if you are chemically sensitive or have someone close to you struggling to safely navigate our modern world. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.