There's a long-standing movement to refuse or avoid US tax, since about half of it goes to the imperialist military. Other reasons for avoiding US tax are that the US government habitually targets US populations with minority status, carries out the death penalty and degrades the environment.

When I was in my 20's, people in National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee, the Peace Tax Fund group and other pacifist organizations led me to believe that my avoiding paying tax to the US government would make an iota of difference in how much money the Pentagon had to spend on killing unarmed civilians. Living in poverty for 45 years has led to--besides the consequences I expected e.g. occasional hunger, homelessness, injury through not being able to hire help, etc.-- one set of experiences that was just, flat hellish and which I am not going to describe to hundreds or thousands of strangers. Suffice it to say: It made the experience of being raped, cut and nearly murdered by two men when I was 20 look like a day at the beach.

Now Richard Wolff, whose expertise and intent I trust (Robert Reich had said the same thing, but he promoted NAFTA.) tells me that the amount of tax money taken in makes no difference to the Pentagon's budget. He says it would take at least 25k US citizens and residents refusing US tax, explicitly to support peace, to change spending priorities. Don't make a decision on the basis of an erroneous belief.