Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Steve Bannon's World View

Here's a great article about where Bannon got his world view from. The generational "Turning" model is plausible to me. It predicts that we are in a period of "crisis" but that it should all work out in the end. Very worthy read!

Barry

Where did Steve Bannon get his worldview? From my book.
    By Neil Howe February 24

The headlines this month have been alarming. “Steve Bannon’s obsession with a dark theory of history should be worrisome” (Business Insider). “Steve Bannon Believes The Apocalypse Is Coming And War Is Inevitable” (the Huffington Post). “Steve Bannon Wants To Start World War III” (the Nation). A common thread in these media reports is that President Trump’s chief strategist is an avid reader and that the book that most inspires his worldview is “The Fourth Turning: An American Prophecy.”

I wrote that book with William Strauss back in 1997. It is true that Bannon is enthralled by it. In 2010, he released a documentary, “Generation Zero,” that is structured around our theory that history in America (and by extension, most other modern societies) unfolds in a recurring cycle of four-generation-long eras. While this cycle does include a time of civic and political crisis — a Fourth Turning, in our parlance — the reporting on the book has been absurdly apocalyptic.

I don’t know Bannon well. I have worked with him on several film projects, including “Generation Zero,” over the years. I’ve been impressed by his cultural savvy. His politics, while unusual, never struck me as offensive. I was surprised when he took over the leadership of Breitbart and promoted the views espoused on that site. Like many people, I first learned about the alt-right (a far-right movement with links to Breitbart and a loosely defined white-nationalist agenda) from the mainstream media. Strauss, who died in 2007, and I never told Bannon what to say or think. But we did perhaps provide him with an insight — that populism, nationalism and state-run authoritarianism would soon be on the rise, not just in America but around the world.

Because we never attempted to write a political manifesto, we were surprised by the book’s popularity among certain crusaders on both the left and the right. When “The Fourth Turning” came out, our biggest partisan fans were Democrats, who saw in our description of an emerging “Millennial generation” (a term we coined) the sort of community-minded optimists who would pull America toward progressive ideals. Yet we’ve also had conservative fans, who were drawn to another lesson: that the new era would probably see the successful joining of left-wing economics with right-wing social values.

Continues here.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    arthunter

Re: Steve Bannon's World View

Fascinating article .. I have to wonder about the role of technology in all of this. Will the cycles change if we can alter our moods artificially? This is now possible without drugs. Will inventions like this affect the coming generations?

https://www.elfemmit.com/

4. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Here's a great article about where Bannon got his world view from. The generational "Turning" model is plausible to me. It predicts that we are in a period of "crisis" but that it should all work out in the end. Very worthy read!

Barry

Where did Steve Bannon get his worldview? From my book.
    Continues here.

Here's a video analysis of Bannon's documentaries based on his take of the generational/seasonal "Turning" model.
    Quite chilling.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

The DARK AGES Revisited as the world "turns" in fear, despair, and hopelessness, hungry, cold, and without shelter.
    Maybe "micro dosing" is the best way to face these dark days.....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Here's a video analysis of Bannon's documentaries based on his take of the generational/seasonal "Turning" model.
    Quite chilling.

7. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: