Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Diane Darling

Place for junkies and tweakers

Is it true that there is nowhere around here for junkies and tweakers to go for shelter and possible treatment?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    terryjones

Re: Place for junkies and tweakers

Azure Acres in Sebastopol
    Azure Acres Recovery Center
    2264 Green Hill Road
    Sebastopol, California 95472

Call Azure Acres Recovery Center
    (844) 202-5063

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Hmm- shelter options are many - it's the reality that many in need of such services have addiction problems- be it alcohol, opoids, or methamphetamine.

Treatment...I'm not sure how to answer. Options too often include religion and "12 step" variants. With opoids often "substitution therapy" which os often as bad or worse then the original addiction in many regards- and often ties one to a life of having to get their "fix" in a very limited window of time that is not conducive to being able to hold a job or live a normal life- god forbid ever having to leave the area for work, pleasure, or a family emergency.

Sorry I'm not offering much concrete help here. But I think we as a community need to go far beyond our current situation to truly offer help. We need to look to Seattle, Vancouver BC, Europe.... and go to a harm reduction model. Which as hard as it may be to swallow- includes offering safe injection sites, needle exchanges, even providing pharmaceutical grade drugs to addicts. Combined with access to both social services and effective treatment.

Sadly, I'd say most of the current options available locally do little if any real good.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Dorothy Friberg

And many of these "addicts" started with MARIJUANA.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-12-2017 at 09:05 AM.

8. TopTop #5
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post

No actually, most started experiencing a high like all children do- spinning, being daredevils on their bikes, skateboards, etc... Then sugar. Then caffeine....

In terms of "drugs" alcohol and tobacco are the most common starting point.

Not even NIDA and the NIH any longer accept the long debunked "gateway drug" theory. (caveat: there IS one area of the gateway drug theory that many find to still be somewhat true- that the prohibition of drugs puts people using relatively safe drugs (cannabis, LSD, mushrooms, etc) into contact with people who use/sell other "harder" drugs.

On the flipside there is also a wide body of evidence suggesting that our decades or propaganda nad outright lies about cannabis and some other substances leads users to believe "well, they lied to me about how dangerous x, y, & z were... So they're probably lying about this drug too.

9. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

10. TopTop #6
    wisewomn

This reminded me of the great Lenny Bruce's routine:

"I don’t smoke pot, and I’m glad because then I can champion it without special pleading. The reason I don’t smoke it is because it facilitates ideas and heightens sensations—and I’ve got enough shit flying through my head without smoking pot.
    At this time, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the State will present its closing argument in the case against marijuana: It leads to the use of heroin and other dangerous, addictive drugs.
    If this syllogism holds true, the bust-out junkie will say to his cellmate: ‘I am a heroin addict. I started smoking marijuana and then naturally I graduated to heroin. By the way, my cellmate, what happened to you? How did you come to murder three guys in a crap game? You’ve got blood on your hands. How did you first get obsessed with this terrible disease of gambling? Where did it all start?’
    ‘Oh, I started gambling with Bingo in the Catholic Church.’
    Lenny Bruce, How To Talk Dirty and Influence People, 1965."

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    podfish

and fast food.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    SonomaPatientsCoop

To go somewhat off-topic...

I hope some people have been seeing the media reports over the past week on how the pharmaceutical companies have been jacking up the prices on Naloxone- the "lazarus drug" - that can save people from an opoid overdose. Some reports put the price jump at over 600%.

Addicts do not deserve to die- they deserve help and compassion. While I am not religious- having read the bible Jesus liked hanging out with the poor, prostitutes, and criminals. If he were real and alive today I have little doubt we would find him hanging out with junkies and tweakers. "That which you do unto the least of my brothers, that you do unto me".

Or, on a more personal level, the line I learned growing up "There, but for the grace of God, go I".

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #9
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    ... Jesus liked hanging out with the poor, prostitutes, and criminals. If he were real and alive today I have little doubt we would find him hanging out with junkies and tweakers. "That which you do unto the least of my brothers, that you do unto me".

Or, on a more personal level, the line I learned growing up "There, but for the grace of God, go I".
    you've hit two points that baffle me about contemporary American culture. Your second quote seems pretty damn self evident, but the common point of view is that instead, "they deserve it". And I've said here periodically - from a purportedly christian nation, I'd expect a lot more charity and willingness to share. "America First" ?? from christians? Give me a break!

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    wisewomn

Well, there is this heavy overlay of Capitalism: "I got mine and to hell with everyone else."

Years ago, you'd hear that Americans worshiped "the almighty dollar." I don't things have changed all that much
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    you've hit two points that baffle me about contemporary American culture. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 02-14-2017 at 12:11 PM.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #11
    pixeee nation

Actually (not that im advocating Marijuana use) , as a Crisis Family Counselor ..i can tell You for a FACT that EVEN though it's NOT mentioned hardly EVER most Young People start smoking cigarettes & drinking ALCOHOL (do You not see the perverse rise in wineries in Sonoma?) & Coffee BEFORE Marijuana..sadly this is TOO FREQUENTLY not put on the list of what "leads" People to addiction...And from THE TRUE REALITY of the World what is NEVER ADRESSED is THE TRUE FACT that the INSANE INCREASE of drug abuse is ACTUALLY SOCIO-ECONOMIC reality for the MOST part the Genral Population is BARELY keeping bills paid..and "doctors" for the most part give quick answers & quick temporary fixes I.E anti depressant , pain pills etc..WAAAAY TOO OFTEN which is why TOO MANY ARE now addicted....YES TONS OF PEOPLE ARE SUPER DEPRESSED AT THE REALITY of our "modern day Life"..YET most keep the false belief of "just be positive"...All I know is if You keep denying The Truth (enabling) it becomes a GAPPING HOLE that can never be repaired..as in a hole in a dam...sadly

21. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: