Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

Dangerous traffic conditions around the new CVS store

I have reported the following dangerous traffic conditions around the new CVS store to Caltrans and Sebastopol City officials:

1) Despite a "Trucks No Right Turn" sign on NB 116 prior to intersection with EB 12, 7 trucks or truck/trailer combinations (incl. PG and E auger truck towing an equipment trailer) were noted making a right turn on to EB 12 at this intersection.

2) Crosswalk east of Brown Street on Hwy. 12 consists of a single white line and a short section (4') delineating the pedestrian area (non-Caltrans compliant), in violation of the conditions of approval/occupancy permit requirements. Numerous pedestrians were noted crossing here, often having to hold up their hands to stop traffic.

3) "STOP AHEAD" text on WB 12 in front of project site is bisected by double yellow center lane (road has been relocated several times without updating pavement markings).

4) Two cars on WB Hwy. 12 noted crossing in front of EB traffic, turning into project on Barnes Avenue, one car noted crossing EB traffic, making a left turn on to WB Hwy. 12 from Barnes Avenue. No signage or physical barriers noted at project site to prevent these unauthorized turning maneuvers.

5) Curved right turn on NB 116 to EB 12 has been widened. Two occasions of cars thinking that this was a two lane turning area, causing them to attempt to merge on to EB 12 side by side.

6) An elderly driver in a Toyota pickup somehow managed to drive up on to sidewalk/"public plaza" area on east side of NB 116 (perhaps through wide curb cut at east end of Burnett Ave./NB 116 crosswalk- no tire tracks noted in EVA further south on NB 116), driving up behind a group of pedestrians waiting at SE corner of 116/12 intersection (in front of CVS corner door). She drove off of ADA curb cut on to EB Hwy. 12.

7) Crosswalk between "island" and SE corner of 116/12 intersection (across right turn lane referenced in #1, above) has no "WALK" light or pedestrian controls. As it has been widened, pedestrians take longer to cross and often had to hold their hands out to stop traffic turning on to EB Hwy. 12. Very unsafe for pedestrians.

Especially troubling is Item #4, below. Caltrans issued direction that no left turns be allowed in or out at the intersection of Hwy. 12 and Barnes Avenue (a newly-constructed City of Sebastopol street). A WB vehicle waiting to turn left from Hwy. 12 on to Barnes blocks one of two WB traffic lanes (there is no center turn lane at this location). Conversely, a vehicle turning left out of Barnes Avenue on to WB Hwy. 12 crosses the single EB traffic lane into the inner WB traffic lane. This area is notorious for congested traffic at most times. As noted above, there are no signs or physical barriers to advise against/prevent this turning maneuver.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

3. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Dangerous traffic conditions around the new CVS store

Let’s see:

First, let’s see- many of these issues appear to be a state/county issue. Bear in mind we have had an unusually wet winter (by the standards of the past several years at least) . Much of the work- such as road striping is work not done until construction is “finished” and there has been no window for such work to be done.

1) I have not noticed the sign re: trucks and right turns lately. It WAS a result of the right turn lane being removed during construction (vehicles had to take the hard right turn at the intersection).

2) As it has always been? And hardly a busy crossing- not even sure if it is a legal one as there is no real “corner” of traffic there.

3) Again- see above.

4) Yes? Sebastopol drivers at their finest.

5) same as #4 .

6) See 4 &5

7) This has always been the case. And not sure what you mean by “it has been widened”? Yes, during construction the right turn lane was eliminated. Since returned to its previous state. Really no idea what you are talking about with this one…

While I applaud you for a couple of the issues- I hope you were polite with Cal-trans and city. I would assume work such as the road markings will be done weather permitting- and hopefully after cal-trans staff has gotten some break from their work during these storms.

Beyond that- I'd suggest 2 things:
    1) call the appropriate authorities- the police, when you see idiots driving unsafely. The fault lies with them.
    2) CVS is here and isn't going away. Clearly, you are both passionate and have an abundance of time- there are plenty of issues in our community that could benefit and would actually see a benefit.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-24-2017 at 01:13 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    John Eder

Dear Mr. Green, [aka SonomaPatientsCoop]

I have received numerous emails from Caltrans today, including their Acting District Deputy Director for District 4 (Bay Area). They were very appreciative of receiving this information. All emails were forwarded to the appropriate Sebastopol city staff members (City Manager, Police Chief, Planning Director, Engineering Manager, etc.).

"Clearly you are both passionate and have an abundance of time- there are plenty of issues in our community that could benefit and would actually see a benefit."

You are correct- I am passionate and my time is my own. I retired once I started to undergo treatment for my Stage 4 cancer. And, after four years on the City Council, I decided that it was time for someone else to deal with the responsibility of running the city. Thanks for your concern, David.

Per Caltrans:

Maintenance Service Request - Ticket #: 646155 - Our Response
    Situation Acknowledged. Will be addressed.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-24-2017 at 01:19 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Eileen M.

Thank you John for reporting these dangers to the appropriate offices.
    I was witness to some of these too.
    I was especially anxious when the SUV drove on the sidewalk all the way up to the corner where I was standing. I reported it to a "shirt and tie" manager- looking employee at the CVS building. I hoped CVS would get the crew back to block vehicle access to the sidewalk and prevent this from happening again. I don't know, his response to me was rather flat.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-24-2017 at 01:19 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Shepherd

CVS's new location is a traffic disaster--one of the most congested corners in Sonoma County. As this huge corporation was bullying our small town into locating itself there, thus adding more traffic, I saw an emergency vehicle trying to get through traffic for over 15 minutes. Those who favor and shop there may soon have blood on their hands. Convenience is less important than safety.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-24-2017 at 01:20 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    luke32

Some valid points here, but "blood on your hands"? This is a way to make what could be a reasonable discussion seem farcical. And why some people I talk to stay away from WACCO.

BTW, John, have you had a chance to consider the points I raised on the boycott thread? copied below

"Without being privy to the details of the CVS actions that John says are deceitful it is difficult to make a decision about boycotting.. I like to think that a government's (the City's) rules and review procedures are sufficiently clear and comprehensive to prevent "deceitful" evasions or shadings. If this is not the case they need to be changed. I have not heard any discussion, since the CVS episode, that suggests the City needs to clarify its Code and review procedures. A case in point is John's assertion that CVS did not live up to the requirement that it build a "usable" second story. Was this not spelled out by the City? Is CVS in violation of the permit issued by the City?

I'd like to ask John to comment on the following possible historic scenario:
    The Pellinis sell the property to CVS. Some members of the City Council are unhappy because they see the possibility of a new development that will invigorate the downtown being lost to a mundane CVS. In fact the mayor actually publicly voices unhappiness with the Pellini family for selling to CVS. ("Keep on taking one for the City, Pellini family [i.e. keep on paying taxes and tying up your capital]. Mr or Ms Wonderful will come along some day, buy the property and build us all an exciting new downtown addition.")

The Council's pique at CVS takes the form of a moratorium directly aimed at CVS's drive-through prescription window (not to be conflated with the other drive-throughs in town. Some of the rationale is to prevent drive-through idling-car emissions that will add to those emissions occurring almost daily from stalled traffic between the central City and the Grange to the east, the fire station to the west, and nearly to the hospital to the south. But every little bit counts.

CVS gets angry, decides to be the bully and sues the City. A citizens' group also sues the City - over inadequate traffic studies You see, CVS will cause more traffic than some other type of urban development. After more than $350,000 of City resources spent on lawyers' fees (most for the CVS suit), all parties sign an agreement that allows the store to be built. But without a drive-through!!

Without more detail I think this new store NOW is better than something else ???? sometime ????? in the future."

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    John Eder

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    ...BTW, John, have you had a chance to consider the points I raised on the boycott thread? copied below...
    George-

I am working on a review of the CVS/City of Sebastopol process. It is much longer than I would like (editing at present), and numerous things have come up (Women's March, dealing with Caltrans all day yesterday, UCSF all day tomorrow, etc.). I believe that it will address many of your concerns when complete. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-25-2017 at 12:20 PM.