Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Bernie
    Supporting Member

Best Roads to Bicycle from Sebastopol to Occidental and back?

I'm planning a bike ride, for the approximately 20 miles from Sebastopol to Occidental, with a stop-over and return on a sunny winter's day, during the week. I'm interested in conserving energy and being relatively safe. How would you ride (or do you ride} such a loop? I know of Bodega & Bohemian; 116 and Occidental; and 116 and Graton. Please let me know of any other alternatives that you might recommend. Thanks, Bernie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Re: Best Roads to Bicycle from Sebastopol to Occidental and back?

I think it's madness to be riding bikes on the shoulderless blind turn roads of west county. Most people use Graton Rd to get to Occidental. That would be my choice if I trusted my fellow man enough to not be checking their phone and being unimpaired (which I don't)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bernie: View Post
    I'm planning a bike ride, for the approximately 20 miles from Sebastopol to Occidental, with a stop-over and return on a sunny winter's day, during the week. I'm interested in conserving energy and being relatively safe. How would you ride (or do you ride} such a loop? I know of Bodega & Bohemian; 116 and Occidental; and 116 and Graton. Please let me know of any other alternatives that you might recommend. Thanks, Bernie

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    JayS

Hi Bernie,

You don't say your starting point, but I would suggest your best route would be Graton Rd to and from Occidental.

You can ride the West County Trail into Graton and then head out Graton Road to Occidental.

Or, you can ride Mill Station Road to Sullivan to Graton Road, then hang a left on Graton Rd into Occidental.

Do NOT ride Occidental Road into Occidental. There are many sections with no safety buffers, scary narrow in spots, and way more traffic. Also, do NOT ride Bodega Highway (12). You will be puckered up, especially going up the steep Freestone grade from Sebastopol to Freestone.

In addition, keep in mind commute traffic. The best times would be 9 a.m. or so heading out, to 1 or 2 p.m. as your return time.

Hope this helps. If you need more suggestions, feel free to e-mail me privately.

Jay
    Last edited by Barry; 12-28-2016 at 10:11 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    carpet crawler

I would avoid all of those, too busy. You can get there with a longer ride (maybe 25 miles round trip), and with a steeper climb, but you'll be rewarded with many fewer cars and just as much scenery. Take the Joe Rodota trail from Sebastopol, through Graton to Green Valley Road, then climb up Harrison Grade Road, connect with Graton Road at the top and then down to Occidental. HGR is steep, but car traffic is minimal.

YMMV :-)
    Last edited by Barry; 12-28-2016 at 10:11 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: