Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  • Thread Tools
  1. TopTop #1
    Sasu's Avatar
    Sasu
     

    Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    December 1, 2016

    An open letter to the City of Sebastopol, City Manager, Council and Staff,

    Enforce the smart meter ban in Sebastopol!

    In 2013 Sebastopol passed an urgency ordinance banning smart meter installation because they are a threat to health, safety and community welfare. PG&E threatened to sue, so the city did not enforce the ban. PG&E backed off installations, until recently when PG&E met with the city manager to discuss plans to deploy smart meters in Sebastopol.

    We are asking the city to enforce the ban because the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) has failed to adequately regulate the safety of smart meters.
    • The President of the CPUC, Michael Peevey, knew smart meters were causing people pain, and he abetted PG&E’s pay to opt-out scheme, and delayed CPUC regulation.
    • A pay to opt-out program is an unlawful response to smart meter problems, including privacy and property rights, radiation health risks, fire hazards, and co-located meters.
    • Mayor Michael Kyes and Sarah Gurney spoke to the CPUC judge asking for community opt-out. The CPUC dismissed community opt-out without taking testimony or holding hearings.
    • EMF Safety Network, and three other groups have appeals citing violations of law pending. A CPUC attorney stated the CPUC will rule on those appeals in December 2016.

    We ask you to stand up to PG&E and enforce the ban until the CPUC adequately regulates smart meters, including the right of cities to avoid them.

    Please agendize this issue for Dec.19th.

    Thank you for your consideration.

    Sandi Maurer,
    Director EMF Safety Network

    Chapter 8.58 SMART METERS (TEMPORARY MORATORIUM ON THE INSTALLATION OF SMART METERS) https://goo.gl/49n4Yf
    Overview of PG&E/CPUC emails on smart meters https://goo.gl/AzfMQU
    Summary of Evidence on Smart Meter Fires: https://goo.gl/ZQQH64
    EMF Safety Network CPUC Appeal (Rehearing Request) https://goo.gl/updB6M
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

  3. TopTop #2
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Really? I do not understood this silly ban on Smart Meters. It ended up with people threatening blue collar guys who were contracted by PG&E to do this. I think this is silly and stupid. I hope the city does not waste resources on this ban.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  5. TopTop #3
    Karl Frederick's Avatar
    Karl Frederick
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Empirical evidence of damage to biological systems caused by low level, non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation led to justifiable concerns about the Smart Meters. If you do not understand the ban and what led to it, why are you calling it silly and stupid?

    Quote Sieglinde wrote: View Post
    Really? I do not understood this silly ban on Smart Meters. It ended up with people threatening blue collar guys who were contracted by PG&E to do this. I think this is silly and stupid. I hope the city does not waste resources on this ban.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  6. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

  7. TopTop #4
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Site your evidence from juried scientific publications, I have seen none.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  9. TopTop #5
    sharingwisdom's Avatar
    sharingwisdom
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    You can do your own research starting here if you're really interested.

    Quote Sieglinde wrote: View Post
    Site your evidence from juried scientific publications, I have seen none.
    Last edited by Manna; 12-05-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  10. TopTop #6
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Do you understand what "juried" means? It means published in scientific journals and reviewed by peers in the field of study. Peers are folks who are scientists, real scientists not quack doctors and emotional thinkers.

    Also, you are exposed to a variety of electromagnetic radiation on a daily basis. Do you have Wifi in your house, if yes, this is constant exposure? If not, then take a Wifi enabled device such as a smart phone or tablet walk down Main Street. Set it to look for Wifi spots. I suspect many of the businesses have wifi for their internal processes. They don't have to set up a LAN anymore. Cat 5 cable is expensive. Run your business using iPads. I have seen it. That is the same radiation as from Smartmeters.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  12. TopTop #7
    Sasu's Avatar
    Sasu
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    In 2010 PG&E hired Edelman, a PR firm to track and comment on online smart meter articles because PG&E wanted to control public opinion. No doubt they are still doing this. Their method is the same as yours, first to use ridicule and demand studies. Not saying you are not "real", but it did cross my mind.

    Did PG&E have peer reviewed published science, or an environmental impact report published before they deployed smart meters? No, they didn't. Did the CPUC conduct a safety review? No they didn't. Was there peer reviewed published science on the health effects of radiation? Yes, thousands of papers.

    If you want to learn more and read studies you can find information and links here:

    If you want to understand why the city passed the urgency ordinance in 2013 you can read the minutes here:
    Last edited by Manna; 12-06-2016 at 05:32 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  13. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

  14. TopTop #8
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    I am a former technical reference librarian. All the "children" visiting the library had Engineering degrees or PhDs in a variety of scientific disciplines. I distrust the entire electro sensative movement. Though utility jobs are prime jobs, I have only worked for the Federal Civil Service.

    BTW, your tactic of accusing me of being a shill for the power company is similar to what you describe PG&E doing. If I update my electrical panel I will ask for one. The PUC has much more authority than Sebastopol which seems to hire piss poor city lawyers.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  15. Gratitude expressed by:

  16. TopTop #9
    Karl Frederick's Avatar
    Karl Frederick
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    If you have worked only for the US Government, and have gotten most of your perspectives from the "Mainstream Media" I can appreciate your distrust of the "entire electro sensative{sic) movement." You may not be aware of the uphill struggles the system imposes on people and organizations, just to gain a fair hearing for their views and concerns. When orthodoxy senses another view threatening its power, it responds with several fairly predictable tactics . . . among them, dismissal and ridicule. Both are often unsubstantiated except by the parrotings of so-called experts who never even directly address the data -- the evidence of something new or unexpected.

    As a former technical reference librarian, you may be familiar with the rampant disregard of scientific methodology (and elementary logic) employed by scientific publications in their so-called "peer review" processes. As the adage observes, "follow the money."

    We live in an era when the bright and shiny authorities of the past have acquired a patina of tarnish . . . even rust. It is not enough to trust organizations to look out for our best interests; we must be active on our own behalf and insist that those who have public trust live up to the responsibilities of that trust.

    Please reconsider your stance and that of those whom you seem to be denigrating. Take Sandi's post seriously. Follow the links and read more about the issue. I think you'll find room for inquiry, thoughtful dialogue, and appreciation.

    Best wishes,

    Karl
    Last edited by Manna; 12-06-2016 at 05:32 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  17. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

  18. TopTop #10
    podfish's Avatar
    podfish
    Supporting Member

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Quote Sasu wrote: View Post
    ... Their method is the same as yours, first to use ridicule and demand studies. ...
    of course their methods are similar. A good method is widely applicable. The PR firms are perfectly likely to use similar methods to scientists; since they're PR firms they may well leave out the ridicule part. It still comes down to quality of data and understanding the limits of what it indicates.

    The post from Karl shows the futility of making these rational arguments in hope of convincing anyone, anyway. Really, you think Seiglinde is so tainted by 'only working for the US government' and only aware of what he's been fed by the 'mainstream media' that he's a poor judge of the facts? Actually, I presume you do think that. This blanket rejection of any information that comes with actual scientific support, thinking that information coming from amateurs is better than that from professionals, makes discussions like this pretty pointless. Unfortunately, the opinions of the participants end up as the policy that affects everyone. The same forces that lead to the success of someone like Trump also shape the debates on policies like SmartMeters and fluoridation. The ability to weigh the evidence and deal with complexity and ambiguity is conspicuously absent when appeals to fear and emotion are made.

    Hey, maybe we need a new Godwin's law about bringing Trump into things! He's much more fun to use than Hitler....
    Last edited by Barry; 12-06-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  19. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

  20. TopTop #11
    Sasu's Avatar
    Sasu
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    EHS article by Dr. Scott Eberle in the Santa Clara County Medical Association/ Monterey County Medical Society Bulletin "What's the Diagnosis Doctor"

    Quote Sieglinde wrote: View Post
    Site your evidence from juried scientific publications, I have seen none.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-06-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  21. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  22. TopTop #12
    sharingwisdom's Avatar
    sharingwisdom
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    I have no wifi nor smartmeter. There was no way you went through the info I suggested. I don't believe this discussion is really about sharing information....no different than what I've been exposed to before on this forum...which is if I disagree with those postings, there is an attitude of one upping and baiting and sometimes name calling (not saying you've done that yet)...but not going there. If you were really interested, you might have been aware that the Santa Clara County Medical Association Alliance Foundation sponsored a forum, "Wireless Technology and Public Health: Health and Environmental Hazards in a Wireless World," Oct. 10, '15 where noted researchers, doctors and scientists discussed the issues with wireless.

    The summit was held the day after California Governor Jerry Brown vetoed all six bills that would have reigned in a corrupt CPUC, and would have taken mild steps to subject it to greater judicial oversight in the midst of ongoing criminal investigations of the agency. The day after the conference (to add insult to injury) Brown signed legislation (AB57) that shifts the burden of defending against unwanted cell towers to local governments and “deems cell towers approved” by the state, if a local government takes too much time in the planning process.
    The summit was completely sold out- an indication of the burgeoning interest in the subject in the Bay Area- and an overflow crowd gathered at video monitors in the lobby to hear what each speaker was saying.

    I'm complete on this posting.
    Quote Sieglinde wrote: View Post
    Do you understand what "juried" means?...

    Last edited by Barry; 12-06-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  23. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

  24. TopTop #13
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    This conversation is over. The military operates off of facts otherwise they find that what they are doing does not match reality. You can go live in your post factual land, I will live in mine.

    Quote Karl Frederick wrote: View Post
    If you have worked only for the US Government, and have gotten most of your perspectives from the "Mainstream Media" I can appreciate your distrust of the "entire electro sensative{sic) movement." ...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  25. Gratitude expressed by:

  26. TopTop #14
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    The interesting thing I have found after having moved to Sebastopol from a very conservative part of California (Kern County) that they are more extreme. For example, the city I lived in, Ridgecrest would elect a nice mixture of Democrats and mostly Republicans to the city council. The Republicans were usually businessmen (a reality based group), the Democrats were usually educators (Your mileage may vary but these people were reality based) We never elected Tea Party members to the council.

    I move to Sebastopol, find out that for really stupid reasons that they rejected an offer of free Wifi town-wide from Sonic because of this quack medicine they believe in. I have found that the far left is as stupid as the far right. But the conservative town I came from avoided the nutwing of the right. Unfortunately, Sebastopol is electing folks who edge into the nutwing of the left.

    I happen to vote Democratic for most things. I even voted for Sanders in the primary. I am not a fan of PG&E. I signed up for the EverGreen level (more expensive 100% sustainable level) of the local power distribution program. Actually, I found that conservatives were also against the Smart meters but based on privacy considerations. That is a personal opinion and at least does not use bogus science.

    By the way, Xfinity is broadcasting wifi all over town. Suck it up buttercup.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  27. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

  28. TopTop #15
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Antedotal, not juried but at least your argument uses a human experience rather than a accusing me of being a shill for a power company. In order to protect himself, he would need to not work in an office with wifi, not have a router in his house (BTW, you can opt out of Smart meters, or at lease we could with Southern California Edison), he would need to have installed in his house, some sort of Faraday cage in his home and workplace to block the frequency.

    EHS article by Dr. Scott Eberle in the Santa Clara County Medical Association/ Monterey County Medical Society Bulletin "What's the Diagnosis Doctor"
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  29. Gratitude expressed by:

  30. TopTop #16
    Sasu's Avatar
    Sasu
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    I posted a link above which included military studies. As a librarian, I expect you would research and try to understand before you start slinging insults. The fact is military studies show pulsed radiation can cause serious health problems, including tinnitus, memory loss and seizures.

    From the US Air Force: "It is known that electromagnetic radiation has a biological effect on human tissue."

    Here's another study from the US Army.

    Quote Sieglinde wrote: View Post
    This conversation is over. The military operates off of facts otherwise they find that what they are doing does not match reality. You can go live in your post factual land, I will live in mine.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  31. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  32. TopTop #17
    podfish's Avatar
    podfish
    Supporting Member

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Quote Sasu wrote: View Post
    I posted a link above which included military studies. As a librarian, I expect you would research and try to understand before you start slinging insults. The fact is military studies show pulsed radiation can cause serious health problems, including tinnitus, memory loss and seizures.
    both water and the sun can kill you. So can the military with radiation if they dial up the intensity. As Paracelsus said a long time ago: ''sola dosisfacitvenenum'', [the dose makes the poison] thus proving this argument goes way back. Funny how military studies are cherry-picked in support, since they are about as mainstream a source as you can get, while CDC etc. are ignored.

    Note that it's the anti-wifi (and, for that matter, anti-vax & anti-fluoride) crowd who are inclined to the all-or-nothing points of view. It's not "scientific" or really even defensible to say that harm from those sources is impossible. It's just that the evidence for harm doesn't rise to the level where it should have such a dramatic impact on policy, compared to the evidence for benefit. Maybe contrast this with the issue of global warming/climate change. In that case there's an equally vocal faction supporting a point of view that disagrees with what's called 'consensus' (not a scientific term I've heard, but it's used in the debate). I betcha the anti-vax/fluoride/emf crowd goes with the majority view on that one. I claim it's because of ideological sympathy rather than the weight of evidence.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  33. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  34. TopTop #18
    podfish's Avatar
    podfish
    Supporting Member

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    and someday, not too soon though, another hazard of our electronic age will be here.

    sounds like the days of smartmeters are numbered anyway!
    Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  35. Gratitude expressed by:

  36. TopTop #19
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    This is microwave radiation and is much stronger than your wifi router or a device such as a Smart Meter. The effects are well known. There were places on the base I worked at that warned you to stay out because of RF hazard. This was not present around ordinary consumer products such as wifi routers. That is why there is a screen on your microwave oven door. It acts as a Faraday cage. Yep, if you stood in front of an operating radar emmiter you would not be happy. Also they transmit at a much more powerful beam than a Smart Meter. The difference also it that the Smart Meter is not broadcasting continually or for a continuous time such as a microwave oven. Great finding a DTIC document. The Air Force is a reality based organization. But the RF they are talking about is far more powerful. You could argue long term exposure but then if concerned with that, don't use a personal computer, cell phone or tablet.

    Quote Sasu wrote: View Post
    I posted a link above which included military studies. ....

    From the US Air Force: "It is known that electromagnetic radiation has a biological effect on human tissue."
    ...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2016 at 07:58 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  37. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  38. TopTop #20
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    It is the level of radiation that is misinterpreted. You would not want to stand in front of an operating radar emitter. You would not want to disable the interlocks on your microwave door and operate it. But Wifi is so limited in power. So quoting military studies on the effects of microwave radiation is a real misunderstanding of the differences in exposure.

    Quote podfish wrote: View Post
    both water and the sun can kill you. So can the military with radiation if they dial up the intensity. As Paracelsus said a long time ago: ''sola dosisfacitvenenum'', [the dose makes the poison] ....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  40. TopTop #21
    Karl Frederick's Avatar
    Karl Frederick
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    I can tell from the responses so far that my suggestion (below) fell on deaf ears. My mistake. For some, it seems to be sufficient to hammer away with unexamined opinions, rather than read and consider the data which lead to prudence about exposure to wireless signals.

    An essay by Robert Lindsay, entitled My Mind is Made Up, Don't Confuse Me with the Facts
    speaks to this common phenomenon --

    Quote Karl Frederick wrote: View Post
    Please reconsider your stance and that of those whom you seem to be denigrating. Take Sandi's post seriously. Follow the links and read more about the issue. I think you'll find room for inquiry, thoughtful dialogue, and appreciation.
    Last edited by Manna; 12-07-2016 at 05:25 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  41. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  42. TopTop #22
    podfish's Avatar
    podfish
    Supporting Member

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Quote Karl Frederick wrote: View Post
    I can tell from the responses so far that my suggestion (below) fell on deaf ears. ...
    that is the most self-indulgent way to look at it that's possible. Here's something to consider when making an observation like yours: would my opponents be able to say the exact same thing about me?? If so, it's not a tack to take. Try another. You might want to consider that rather than 'hammering with unexamined opinions' you instead got pushback on the quality of the sources that were cited. It's not much better when things turn into 'oh yeah? your source sucks' but it's a little better. Don't you think Sieglinde's response, pointing out why the military research isn't appropriate when applied to smartmeters, counts as an attempt to confuse you with a factual response?? I guess your mind's too made up to even notice that's what's been presented.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  43. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

  44. TopTop #23
    rossmen
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    My mind is not made up, and i am still reading and listening. its wise to be cautious with newish tech. electronic device radiation is evolving faster than the ability of medical science to study the effects. research has shown that the quality, as well as the quantity is significant. the electrochemical biosphere of our human bodies is almost completely unknown. to put down individual and group efforts to slow change and protect health is just cruel. who has the responsibility for safety? we all do.
    Last edited by Manna; 12-07-2016 at 05:26 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  45. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

  46. TopTop #24
    podfish's Avatar
    podfish
    Supporting Member

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Quote rossmen wrote: View Post
    My mind is not made up, and i am still reading and listening. ..
    mine's not either - well, that depends on made up about exactly what. It's made up that the documented threats to safety aren't sufficient for some of the restrictions imposed. I'm also convinced that the existence of EMF sensitivity is poorly established, and that there's enough attention being paid to it that if it's real then it will become accepted science. Even then, I don't know that it's clear we need to do widespread banning of use of EMF. That depends on the results of quality research that better describe any health impacts. We still allow peanuts to be added to food. For gods sake, we let kids ride in cars despite the well-documented risks. When the politics of EMF regulation become one of balancing risk vs. reward, we'll have made a nice step forward.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  47. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  48. TopTop #25
    scamperwillow's Avatar
    scamperwillow
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    I, for one, happen to want a smart meter. I want to be able to see and control the power my appliances are using. I know this is part of the smart grid system that we have to convert to sooner than later unless we want the whole antiquated grid to fall apart or be destroyed by terrorists. Those of you doing research, do you understand what a smart grid is and why it is needed? Do you understand about localized distributed energy? I am far more concerned about the climate effects of dirty fossil fuels and dangers of our grid going down than I am about the minuscule radiation from a tiny meter on the outside of my house.

    I am angry that a few nervous people have managed to deprive me and others in our community from getting a Smart Meter. Opt out if you want, but don't prevent the rest of us that want one from getting it.

    "Distributed energy resources (DER) are smaller power sources that can be aggregated to provide power necessary to meet regular demand. As the electricity grid continues to modernize, DER such as storage and advanced renewable technologies can help facilitate the transition to a smarter grid."

    "
    Distributed generation (DG) refers to power generation at the point of consumption. Generating power on-site, rather than centrally, eliminates the cost, complexity, interdependencies, and inefficiencies associated with transmission and distribution."

    "Distributed generation (DG) refers to electricity that is produced at or near the point where it is used. Distributed solar energy can be located on rooftops or ground-mounted, and is typically connected to the local utility distribution grid. States, cities and towns are experimenting with policies to encourage distributed solar to offset peak electricity demand and stabilize the local grid."
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  49. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

  50. TopTop #26
    rossmen
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    The present tech of smart meters do not facilitate a smart grid, they simply lower labor cost because meter readers are needed less. the kind of interactive grid you are writing about is facilitated by some things we can do today, like conservation, solar, and converting from fossil fuel to electric. the interactive appliances, electric transport, and solar battery storage needed for the grid we need are just coming into play for large industrial users, like the county wastewater facility. this level of interaction requires web communication, the smart meters today are obsolete.

    Quote scamperwillow wrote: View Post
    I, for one, happen to want a smart meter. I want to be able to see and control the power my appliances are using. I know this is part of the smart grid system that we have to convert to sooner than later ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-09-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  51. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  52. TopTop #27
    Jeff Snook
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    This conversation is over? Really?

    Quote Sieglinde wrote: View Post
    This conversation is over. The military operates off of facts otherwise they find that what they are doing does not match reality. You can go live in your post factual land, I will live in mine.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  53. Gratitude expressed by:

  54. TopTop #28
    Sasu's Avatar
    Sasu
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Marty Roberts,

    You state you are angry that a few “nervous” people have deprived you getting a smart meter. Are you saying that the late Michael Kyes, Sarah Gurney, Robert Jacobs and other city leaders are “nervous” people? Or that they are so gullible they would allow a few “nervous” people, to influence them, as if they had not done their own research and did not form their own opinions?

    You are misinformed that smart meters will help save the planet, or make a difference with climate change. You have apparently bought PG&E’s sales pitch without question. If you are afraid of terrorists, smart meters are more vulnerable to hacking than the analog meters.

    It’s worth the effort to take the time to thoroughly investigate complex issues, which is what we and our city leaders did regarding smart meters.

    Sandi Maurer

    Quote scamperwillow wrote: View Post
    I, for one, happen to want a smart meter. I want to be able to see and control the power my appliances are using. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-14-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  55. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

  56. TopTop #29
    podfish's Avatar
    podfish
    Supporting Member

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    Quote Sasu wrote: View Post
    You state you are angry that a few “nervous” people have deprived you getting a smart meter. Are you saying that the late Michael Kyes, Sarah Gurney, Robert Jacobs and other city leaders are “nervous” people? Or that they are so gullible they would allow a few “nervous” people, to influence them, as if they had not done their own research and did not form their own opinions? ...
    I don't know how Marty feels, I'm not angry either, but I don't know what part of their research led to their conclusions. I doubt it was the science, given the role of politicians in our society I suspect that yes indeed the feelings of nervous people were given a lot of weight. Why would they have to be gullible to let the fears of nervous people influence them? Being influenced by the desires of your constituents is part of the gig. But it doesn't make the decision a good one, it just (possibly) explains why it was made.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-14-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  57. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  58. TopTop #30
    Sieglinde's Avatar
    Sieglinde
     

    Re: Enforce the Smart Meter Ban in Sebastopol

    I am actually grateful for the person who said that they wanted a Smart Meter. I do also. Some of those people you mention are the ones that voted against free wifi that was offered to the city by Sonic. That was really really stupid. Free Wifi!!!
    Last edited by Barry; 12-14-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  59. Gratitude expressed by:

Similar Threads

  1. PG&E to escalate Smart Meter deployment in Sebastopol?
    By Sasu in forum General Community
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 11:26 AM
  2. Sebastopol Smart Meter update: chasing off installers
    By Sasu in forum General Community
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
  3. IJ article about Inverness resisting Smart Meter - Wireless Meter
    By daynurse in forum All Marin County Posts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
  4. Smart Meter issue revived in Sebastopol
    By Sabrina in forum General Community
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Bookmarks