Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Lynda Hopkins addresses our Concerns; Part 4 -Summary of Policy Differences with Noreen

My question to Lynda:

4) Summary of policy differences with Noreen. Why should people not choose an established politician with a strong record of supporting the environment and take a chance on someone untested? Why take a chance? Where's the big win??

Lynda's Reply:

I think that there are a number of policy differences between myself and Noreen.

1) Pensions
    I went into greater detail in an earlier email, but Noreen essentially refuses to admit that there's any kind of pension problem. I believe there's a problem, and while the County is currently limited in its options to address pensions, it's important to start all policy conversations with a basic understanding of facts. The facts do not suggest that the unfunded pension liability will be paid down in 14 years, as Noreen believes.

2) Openness to new ideas, and willingness to take political risks
    I have the desire to comb the country and find innovative policy solutions that might work in Sonoma County -- which has led to a number of new ideas I've introduced along the campaign trail. The idea of creating Community Improvement Districts along the River and Coast has been enormously popular in unincorporated Sonoma County. Noreen opposes them. When I discussed this idea with sitting Supervisors and political types, they warned me that it might be a political hot potato: if you empower communities, what if you empower a leader who might compete with you for the Supervisor seat in four years? If that happens, I've done my job by making a better leader than myself. I'll go back to farming and maybe try my hand at writing the next Great American Novel. :)

I'm very open to new ideas: Community Improvement Districts, Junior Second Units, streamlined/reduced cost Granny Unit fees, tiny homes for farmworkers. By contrast, Noreen has spent a lot of time critiquing my ideas, but little time introducing new ideas of her own. The primary new ideas that Noreen has introduced include investing the pension fund into workforce housing (fiscally unsound), and taxing pot for potholes (as well as early childhood education and a host of other county ills). Her other ideas are largely business-as-usual policy suggestions. We know that many of these policies have not worked. Many of the cornerstones of her policy proposals -- like inclusionary zoning -- are already in place, and have not substantially addressed the challenges we are facing today.

3) It's worth considering who will work harder for you -- someone who is trying to prove herself to the community, or someone who feels she already has. I'm not just going to sit in Santa Rosa and vote. I'm going to be out in every far-flung corner of West County figuring out ways to get composting toilets legalized, greywater systems and rainwater catchments on our homes, and local elected bodies in place to represent the River and Coast. I'm going to stir the pot. And you may have already noticed something about me... I'm not afraid to ruffle feathers. I'm not afraid to disagree with my supporters. And after one completely crazy, mud-slinging, media-war of an election season... I'm still as idealistic as I was at the beginning of the election cycle. Perhaps more so. I'm excited for the positive change we can create together.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-07-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email