Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    brigidry

Yes on Measure M! Ban growing GMO crops in Sonoma County

The People's ballot initiative, Measure M, would ban GMO crop cultivation in Sonoma County, protecting local farms from GMO contamination and protecting residents and the environment (including bees) from the increased and rising use of toxic pesticides. This is a huge opportunity for Sonoma County to join 5 other counties that have this ban, for up to 11 years successfully.

Please vote YES on measure M. For more information you can go to www.gmofreesonomacounty.com

Here is a description from the website that explains the initiative well, I think:

Our local farmers grow some of the highest quality foods and agricultural products in the world, in communities across Sonoma County. Sonoma County products are nationally and internationally recognized for their high quality and purity.The vast majority of Sonoma County farmers grow crops that have not been genetically engineered. However, as more genetically engineered (GE/GMO) crops and grasses are introduced, they will pose a real threat to the livelihood of our local farmers.

Genetically engineered plant pollen and seed cannot be contained when grown in open fields. They are carried by the wind, bees and on the fur of animals, contaminating neighboring farms and pastures. It’s that simple. Our local farmers have the right to grow the crops they choose. If more than a trace (.9%) of a farmer’s crop is contaminated, it is illegal for that farmer to sell or save the seed, and according to U.S. patent law, it belongs to the corporation holding the patent on the seeds.

This ballot measure is all about protecting the right of local farmers to continue growing traditional crops without the fear of having them compromised.
    Santa Cruz, Marin, Mendocino, Trinity, and Humboldt Counties have had similar measures to protect their local farms in place for up to 11 years with no costs to county or taxpayers. Their prohibitions are working as intended. Ours will too!

Here is a quote from one of Sonoma's dairy farmers. 80% of Sonoma County's dairies are organic.

"In 2006, when I stared testing certified organic feeds for my cows, i found that there was contamination from GMO's in some purchased feeds. If organic farmer's can't sell their crop due to contamination, or we can't buy them, it hurts all of us economically. Passing this initiative to prohibit the growth of GMO crops is critical to the long-term success of organic dairy farmers and rural economies." Albert Straus, organic dairy farmer.

Please spread the word and if you can help go to gmofreesonomacounty.com to volunteer. Thank You!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    EmeraldMatra

Re: Yes on Measure M! Ban growing GMO crops in Sonoma County

Occupy Sonoma County endorses Measure M! This campaign needs EVERYONE'S support to pass. Please tell your friends and neighbors to vote Yes on M. Contact GMO-Free Sonoma County for a lawn sign at https://GMOFreeSonomaCounty.com. Help with phone banking and canvassing if you can. And make a donation, if you can. GMO-Free Sonoma County volunteers worked very hard to get this initiative on the ballot. Please do not assume that it will pass without your help. Let's all pull together and give GMO-Free Sonoma County our full support to pass this important measure. Love, Emerald. Occupy Sonoma County
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by brigidry: View Post
    The People's ballot initiative, Measure M, would ban GMO crop cultivation in Sonoma County, protecting local farms from GMO contamination and protecting residents and the environment (including bees) from the increased and rising use of toxic pesticides. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2016 at 10:47 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    brigidry

Yes, this is our chance. Let's not let all this effort go to waste! Emerald could you send something out to the Occupy mailing list and can everyone send to lists and/or post to facebook? Many thanks, Brigid

6. TopTop #4
    LilithR

Re:Yes on Measure M! Ban growing GMO crops in Sonoma County

And be sure to vote YES on M, too. Let's get and keep GMO seeds out of Sonoma Cty. Join all the Northern Ca. Counties in protecting our birds and bees, our organic crops, our kids and ourselves.
    YES ON M!!!!!

LILITH
    Last edited by Barry; 10-16-2016 at 03:20 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

My thoughts on the GMO ban:

I do not think GMOs are inherently bad. It's a very powerful technology that could be put to good and bad uses. The preponderance of the scientific community does not consider them dangerous. In fact, there is a larger percentage of scientist that believe in they "safe" then believe in man made climate change. So if you believe them about climate change, why not believe them about GMOs?

Here's a great well researched article on Slate that may give you some more pause.

I think GMO hold great promise for both feeding our growing population and protecting our environment.

That said, Monsanto has found some greedy, harmful and short sighted uses for the technology. Their Roundup-Ready GMO encourage more pesticide use and their Bt Corn may be helpful at first, but such widespread use of Bt will guarantee the bugs evolve a resistance to it, rendering an important organic pesticide useless.

What I'd like to see is some regulation about the application of a specific GMO to only allow ones that are widely believed to be safe and beneficial, including not have damaging repercussions down stream. But that's not likely to happen. Maybe their could be some kind of good-housekeeping seal of approval that sorts out the good and bad applications of the technology.

And regarding labeling, given that there is consumer interest in avoiding GMOs I think it would be good if such products were labeled. Seems to me this is very analogous to (and widely overlapping) with "organic" labeling. I don't see a problem with having the providers of GMO-free products labeling them as such. They are the own who have a vested interest in rather the forcing GMO products with wear a scarlet letter that they contain GMOs.

OK, on to Measure M and banning GMO crops in Sonoma County. I would consider this excessive regulation except for 2 key points:

1) GMO crop can "infect" (cross-pollinate) non GMO crops, so it's not really about preventing GMO crops but rather protecting non-GMO crops. To that point, I would be fine if someone grew a GMO crop indoors or otherwise could guarantee that it didn't cross-pollination a GMO-free crop.

2) I think this gives our agricultural sector a distinct marketing advantage given the fairly wide suspicion of GMOs.

Someday when GMOs are better regulated and better understood, perhaps the ban could be relaxed. For instance: "Currently work is under way to develop grape vines that are resistant to Pierce’s Disease and Powdery Mildew. When available, using these vines in Sonoma County vineyards would significantly reduce the needs for pesticides. Similarly, vines are being developed that would be more drought resistant, requiring substantially less water."

So again, when we get to the point where GMO crops clearly offer a net benefit to the environment, I think we should reconsider the ban, but for now I support it.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    brigidry

The issue for this vote on Measure M is whether GMO crops should be grown in Sonoma County. 5 other counties in California and many countries around the world have banned GMO's for good reason. There are so many farms, dairies and vineyards in Sonoma County, over 200 of which are organic, which all would be at some risk of being endangered by the pollen from GMO crops contaminate crops. Even conventionally grown non-GMO crops would be at risk of being contaminated by GMO pollen and not be able to produce non-GMO food or save the seeds from their plants. It really takes the choice of the traditional form of farming away from farmers, as well as consumers, and puts the control over our very food source in the hands of huge corporations.

There are also major health concerns about GMO's that are not adequately being addressed by the FDA since GMO companies do their own research and are not being regulated. And the increase of pesticides that are needed to grow GMO crops has a huge impact on the environment and all of us who live here including the bees who we are dependent on for our survival.

Please see: www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education/ for more info and research on GMO's
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 03:12 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: