Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    AJL

Fair Rate for Handyman?

What do Sebastopol homeowners and the waccobb trolls think is a fair rate for a licensed and insured handyman and what do you suggest a fair rate would be for an unlicensed uninsured handyman.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-02-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    clayman

Re: Fair Rate for Handyman?

When you say licensed do you mean a General Contractor license?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AJL: View Post
    What do Sebastopol homeowners and the waccobb trolls think is a fair rate for a licensed and insured handyman and what do you suggest a fair rate would be for an unlicensed uninsured handyman.

3. TopTop #3
    rukiddingme

Licensed and insured, I would expect to pay aprox. $50/hour. Unlicensed and uninsured I would expect $30/hour and that would be very very limited amount of work. I would never have an uninsured handyman get on a ladder, do anything electrical, anything gas related or plumbing underneath the house. That said, a good handyman is hard to find so if you do find one, treat them like gold

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    Goat Rock Ukulele

$65 to $75 on up if they know what they are doing licensed and insured. But then the question is what type of insurance? Personal injury liability, workmans comp, product liability? And workmans comp could only cover certain operations depending on the policy.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-04-2016 at 01:47 PM.

6. TopTop #5
    clayman

I'd say a fair rate for a licensed insured contractor is in the $50 to $60 range. For an unlicensed and uninsured, but just as skilled handyman, I'd say a fair rate is in the $35 to $45 range. Just to put this into a little more perspective, my opinion is based on almost 30 years of running a property management business.

7. TopTop #6
    hanford
    Supporting Member

Hanford here, a Ca. native with 30 yr const exp family tradition ,semi retired I have paid my dues ,
    Subject (how much to pay handyman) buyer beware but don,t be so critical,and paranoid
    about workers,generally persons doing oddjob,temp work are good hard workers,so
    ask for references . If satisfied and have good feeling about person , pay them. 30 /35 hr for
    skilled worker ,if you seek insured handi personel ,You property owner should compensate fairly.
    Insurance is not free ,so if on budget and worker is solid ,good ref/rep your home owners
    policy will be fine to change a fixture fix as sink ,patch a wall ,for major work quit cryin about
    cost find a newly licensed contractor ,they do smaller jobs to get started, equals good prices.
    Hire them, take out permits on all work you pay do leg work save loads cash. and permit process
    allows for quality control and real add value property investment. There now you have just
    gott a 250$ free consultation ,from some one who has been in const since age 13. former gen cont.
    Go hire with good intentions , get 2/3 est,no more or you are a bore. cheers Hanford

8. Gratitude expressed by: