Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Michael Anthony

Analy Tigers' Football Chain Gang:

Here is a photograph of me and my fellow Sebastopol Gravenstein Lions giving back to our community by working on the "chain gang" at all Analy Tigers' home football games. The family of one of my fellow chain gang Lions arrived in Sebastopol in 1853 with many generations graduating from Analy.

The chain gang is responsible for moving the first down markers. High school football is fast moving and at one game this year, both teams scored 6 touchdowns which means that the chain gang had to run 100 yards up and down the field at least 12 times. If anyone would like to substitute in for a quarter, I invite you to respond privately.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Thad

Re: Analy Tigers' Football Chain Gang:

Can you do something about having the games stream Live ?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-20-2016 at 03:15 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    Can you do something about having the games stream Live ?
    That is a great idea, thank you. The Lions are always looking for ways to give so I will bring up your suggestion for discussion at our next regular board meeting on Wednesday 28 September.

In the interim we can take photographs of the Analy Tigers Football Team in action at their next home game on Friday October 7th, and then post the photos with the scores under this thread immediately following the game.

The photographs will be taken from the perspective of the Lions "Chain Gang" which can sometimes be intense, especially when their is an out-of-bounds play near where we're standing.

Below is a photo of the Analy Tigers' fans' grandstand showing the Analy High School Band that plays the National Anthem before each game and morale building compositions throughout.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-20-2016 at 03:15 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Thad

There's probably many house bound people who would love to watch the games.

7. TopTop #5
    Michael Anthony

Analy High School Tigers Football Games can be live-streamed here: The High School Sports Network The cost is $9.95 per month with proceeds going to Analy High School. During the sign up process type in Analy High School. There is also free access to watch previously played games just by signing up.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Michael Anthony

The Analy High School Band played the National Anthem at the San Francisco Giants home game on Thursday September 15, 2016.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    authenticeye

Here is the video from the Analy Band Wagon's Facebook page of their Giants appearance. Sounding awesome for a high school band! Congratulations Analy Band members!

https://www.facebook.com/analybandwa...6045171470024/

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    Michael Anthony

Friday September 23, 2016
    ANALY 55, PETALUMA 7

At Petaluma, Jack Newman threw five more touchdown passes, giving him 21 in four games.

He completed 18 of 23 passes for 230 yards.

The Tigers scored four times in the first period and tacked on three more scores in the second period.

The Trojans scored the game’s final touchdown on a 1-yard run by Connor Richardson.

Dominic Christobal came up big in defeat. He rushed for 124 yards on 17 carries.

While Newman put on an aerial show, Osiris Zamora led the ground game. He ran for two short touchdowns and caught a 34-yard touchdown pass from Newman for good measure.

14. TopTop #9
    Michael Anthony

Saturday, October 15, 2016
    ANALY 68, PINER 0

Analy’s football team continued its domination of SCL rivals Saturday afternoon as the Tigers defeated Piner, 68-0, on the Prospectors’ field.

In three league games, Analy has scored 178 points while holding its opponents to only one touchdown.

The Tigers flexed their muscles early against Piner. It was 28-0 after one quarter and 55-0 at halftime.

Even the subs coach Dan Bourdon played in the second half kept Piner in check. The Prospectors wound up with only eight yards of total offense.

Starter Nick Chase set the defensive tone when he notched three sacks for a total loss of 36 yards in the first quarter.

Quarterback Jack Newman added to his illustrious stats before going to the sidelines with the game safely under control. The senior threw for 298 yards and three touchdowns while completing 15 of 21 passes.

For the season, Newman now has 2,430 passing yards and 28 touchdowns. He’s thrown 151 passes without an interception.

Eric Bendyk was his favorite receiver Saturday. The two hooked up on scores of 57 and 45 yards.

Piner coach Tom Harris came away impressed by the Tigers.

“They’re spot-on a good football team,” he said. “Everything they do, they do well.”

Analy is 6-1 (it’s only loss was at Cardinal Newman, 42-26) while Piner is now 2-6 and 1-3 in league.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #10
    Michael Anthony

Friday, October 21, 2016
    ANALY 70, HEALDSBURG 0

At Sebastopol, Jack Newman threw his first interception of the season, but that was the only thing that went wrong for the Tigers.

The score was 42-0 after one quarter.

Newman completed 14 of 25 for 295 yards and threw four touchdowns.

Leading the Analy ground game with 137 yards on seven touches was Cristian Fajardo.

17. TopTop #11
    Michael Anthony

Friday, October 28, 2016
    ANALY 55, EL MOLINO 7

At Sebastopol, the Tigers clinched at least a tie for the SCL title. Analy is 5-0 in league and will grab sole possession of first place if the Tigers beat Elsie Allen next Friday night at home.

Analy took El Molino out of the game from the outset with 28 unanswered points in the first quarter.

Bennett Simpson started the onslaught with a 1-yard run. Also in the period, Jack Newman threw two TD passes. The first was to Spencer Vogel and covered 4 yards. The second was to Ross Simmons for 66 yards.

Newman completed 23 of 35 passes for 327 yards. Three of three completions were for touchdowns.

Vogel was his most productive receiver with seven catches for 103 yards.

Simpson was Analy’s leading rusher with 92 yards on 16 touches. He also scored three times.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #12
    Michael Anthony

Friday, November 4, 2016
    ANALY 77, ELSIE ALLEN 0

At Sebastopol, Tigers quarterback Jack Newman threw six touchdown passes.

The win gives Analy sole possession of the Sonoma County League title.

Newman was perfect on the night as he completed all nine passes he threw. The senior went to the bench with 229 yards.

His favorite receiver was Eric Bendyke. The two hooked up on a pair of 19-yard scoring passes.

Cristian Fajardo was the game’s leading rusher. The Analy running back gained 100 yards and scored two touchdowns.

The Tigers finish the regular season 9-1 and 6-0.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #13
    Shepherd

Have you seen the film "Concussion"? It is about the early deaths and dementia of football players--fully documented. I was a defensive line-baker in high school football, where I broke my big toe. At 72-years-old, I hobble along. My brother, Steve Bliss, was the strength coach for Woody Hayes at the championship Ohio State University Buckeyes. Football athletes have a low life expectancy. Football is a terrible sport that damages many people for life. Soccer is a much better game. Why glorify such a brutal sport?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post
    Friday, November 4, 2016
    ANALY 77, ELSIE ALLEN 0...

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

23. TopTop #14
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Have you seen the film "Concussion"?
    No, I have not seen "Concussion" but I will make it a point to watch it.

24. TopTop #15
    Michael Anthony

Friday, November 11, 2016
    ANALY 55, TAMALPAIS 7

At Sebastopol, Jack Newman threw four touchdowns in limited playing time as the Tigers moved on to the second round of the Division 3 bracket.

Analy will host the winner of Saturday’s game between El Cerrito and Acalanes next Friday.

Newman upped his season touchdown total to 45 for the season. He has completed 217 passes good for 3,679 yards.

Eric Bendyke (10 catches for 182 yards and two TDs) and Ross Simmons 7 catches for 120 yards and two TDs) were Newman’s favorite targets.

The Tigers, the No. 1 seed, are now 10-1. Tamalpais ends the season 6-5.

25. TopTop #16
    Shepherd

Football playing can cause dementia. Allan Bernstein, M.D. writes the following in the Nov. issue of Sonoma Seniors Today, "Dementia...can follow multiple episodes of head trauma, such as 'dementia pugilistica' suffered by boxers and CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) experienced by football players." The scientific proof is in.

I wish that our recently-elected City Council member Michael Anthony would consider the damage that he is doing, especially to youth, by advocating this sport. We are not tigers; we are fragile humans and get more fragile as we age. Sports can be fun, but when you get dementia and other football-caused problems in mid-life, those expensive prices are not worth it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post
    Friday, November 11, 2016
    ANALY 55, TAMALPAIS 7...

26. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

27. TopTop #17
    Michael Anthony

Football playing can cause dementia... I wish that our recently-elected City Council member Michael Anthony would consider the damage that he is doing, especially to youth, by advocating this sport.
    It's not like I can end 108 years of Analy High School football tradition anymore than you can end the tradition of training soldiers [who might suffer head trauma] at Fort Bliss, the U.S. Army base named after your family.

This thread was not started to debate whether or not football is dangerous, I am simply posting the scores as published in the Press Democrat. To accuse me of doing damage "especially to youth" by posting such, seems overreaching. If you want to end football at Analy, I think that it will serve you better to contact the school directly.

28. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

29. TopTop #18
    Shepherd

Michael,
    You said that you would see the 2015 film “Concussion.” Have you? You can rent it at the Video Store in Sebastopol. It stars Will Smith and is based on the true story of the physician who discovered CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) in football players, and the uphill battle he faced in bringing this information to the public.

My goal is to give “serious pause,” as the Detroit News film critic says about this film, about football, which directly impacted my own family. I am glad that more young people are turning to soccer, which is less harmful to the brain and memory. Fortunately, there are other less harmful sports than football, like baseball and basketball.

I remain your friend, though we clearly disagree on the values of football. We do not have to agree on everything.

30. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

31. TopTop #19
    Shepherd

Wikipedia writes the following about CTE. I draw your attention to the following last line, with direct reference to high school football players: "Its presence in domestic violence is also being investigated. It can affect high school athletes, especially American football players, following few years of activity.[1]"

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease found in people who have had a severe blow or repeated blows to the head. The disease was previously called dementia pugilistica (DP), i.e. "punch-drunk," as it was initially found in those with a history of boxing. CTE has been most commonly found in professional athletes participating in American football,rugby, ice hockey, boxing, professional wrestling, stunt performing, bull riding, rodeo, and other contact sports who have experienced repeated concussions or other brain trauma. Its presence in domestic violence is also being investigated. It can affect high school athletes, especially American football players, following few years of activity.[1] It is a form of tauopathy.

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #20
    heresbruce

Life itself is dangerous... and none of us get out of here alive. We humans do all sorts of crazy dangerous things, like getting into automobiles... I have found that one of the most dangerous things humans can do is think, while it also seems to be one of the blessings of being human. Shepherd, thank you for trying to protect us from ourselves, but do you suggest we all do nothing that puts us at risk? Have you studied human history? I wish we would all stop doing a lot of the whacky things we do, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon... but then, what I frown on you may applaud... just look at our last election...

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #21
    AJL

Maybe parents could volunteer to count the head bumps and potential damage to the different players brains in the game. Then some study could look at those students in 10 20 30 40 and more years and see how their lives are. The movie makes it really clear that damage from the football games is not physically evident unless an autopsy is done on their brain.

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #22
    wisewomn

Given how avid parental supporters of high school football can be, that should go over like a pregnant pole vaulter. :-)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AJL: View Post
    Maybe parents could volunteer to count the head bumps and potential damage to the different players brains in the game. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-14-2016 at 01:29 PM.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #23
    AJL

<
    Perhaps the school could make watching the Will Smith movie " Concussion ". a requirement or at least a strong recommendation for every student and their parents that are involved in the football team.

Does anyone know how to start a petition?

br>
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Given how avid parental supporters of high school football can be, that should go over like a pregnant pole vaulter. :-)

40. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

41. TopTop #24
    Shepherd

Bruce,
    My intention in this thread is to inform people about the substantial health risks of football. As a professor who did his internship at a University of Chicago teaching hospital, edited "The New Holistic Health Handbook" for Penguin back in l986, and have taught ethics to college students, I consider that part of my responsibility. It is then up to each of us to decide which risks we take.

At 72-years-old, I have a special concern with the brain and memory issues. We each must decide which risks to take. I hope that you and others consider watching the 2015 film "Concussion" with Will Smith or googling CTE to inform yourself. A better world is possible.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by heresbruce: View Post
    Life itself is dangerous...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-14-2016 at 12:32 PM.

42. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

43. TopTop #25
    Dorothy Friberg

While this IS a timely warning, my mother died at 88 amidst severe dementia, she was neither beaten, a boxer or a football player. I think early onset of dementia would be a warning for our athletes.

Football playing can cause dementia. ....
    Last edited by Barry; 11-14-2016 at 05:11 PM.

44. Gratitude expressed by:

45. TopTop #26
    heresbruce

Shepherd, thank you for your concern and your desire to instruct... my son played football at Analy until he decided that he rather spend time snowboarding, another activity that carried risk of possible head trauma. He had several friends whose west-county parents forbid the activity but the children (boys and girls) still went for it... my son's mother and I were aware of the risks and danger and talked to our children about them, but some parents don't seem as aware, so you may be helpful in that... and the movie is excellent! Teach your children well...
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    My intention in this thread is to inform people about the substantial health risks of football. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-14-2016 at 05:11 PM.

46. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

47. TopTop #27
    wisewomn

Well, sure, but we're talking about teenagers/children, who do not usually exhibit good judgment. It's up to parents to model/make the wiser calls until the kids are old enough (and many times, legal maturity is not old enough) to do so themselves.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by heresbruce: View Post
    Life itself is dangerous...

48. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: