Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Michael Anthony

A Big Frog in the Little Lagoon

A Big Frog in the Little Lagoon.

Sebastopol 2007, I will tell you real soon,
    about a big green frog in the little lagoon.

Croaking with the green party, the frog did plead,
    we will spray poison on the Pepperweed.

No, no, no, screamed the environmentalist,
    but the big green frog was a Dupont instrument.

So in came the humans, backs strapped with herbicide,
    to poison the lagoon, environmental suicide.

And what became then, was to no avail,
    because in 2016 the Pepperweed prevails.

The big green frog, ex-mayor poet Robinson,
    poisoned our lagoon, which is very troublesome.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: A Big Frog in the Little Lagoon:

More "troublesome" to me is this mudslinging against a long-time environmentalist. Different environmentalists had different opinions on the dangers of this invasive species. By the way, Larry is not running for office. He served for 12 long years and does not deserve this disrespect. Such mudslinging does not help to invite others to run for office. It's easy to go back in history and cherry pick details about what happened. This was almost a decade ago.

This is Michael's 2nd unwarranted attack on Larry. It makes me wonder if there is a back story. Do not expect to agree with every decision that an environmentalist or elected official makes. My friend Michael has now attacked two former Seb. mayors. Is this what he plans to do if elected--go back in history and attack? Or perhaps insult sitting City Council members or staff. Who is next on the chopping block?

I like you, Michael, especially your sense of humor. When you find a perfect environmentalist, let me know. She would make a good U.S. president.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post

Sebastopol 2007, I will tell you real soon,
    about a big green frog in the little lagoon.

Croaking with the green party, the frog did plead,
    we will spray poison on the Pepperweed.

No, no, no, screamed the environmentalist,
    but the big green frog was a Dupont instrument.

So in came the humans, backs strapped with herbicide,
    to poison the lagoon, environmental suicide.

And what became then, was to no avail,
    because in 2016 the Pepperweed prevails.

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    It makes me wonder if there is a back story.
    The back story started with Mr. Robinson's participation in the anti-Greenberg mailer and continues on in what I call "endorsement entitlement" whereby some persons act as if their one vote counts more than the vote of the common citizen. The latter will be the subject of a different thread.

5. TopTop #4
    Jean-McG

Yes, please take your "thread" elsewhere. I find it inappropriate for poetry or prose. Jean

The back story started with Mr. Robinson's participation in the anti-Greenberg mailer and continues on in what I call "endorsement entitlement" whereby some persons act as if their one vote counts more than the vote of the common citizen. The latter will be the subject of a different thread.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Michael Anthony

From this point forward, my posts will be limited to substance. If I have offended my neighbors, please accept my apology for letting the politics of endorsements get under my skin. Maybe it's a sign that I am not fit for city council. We'll have to see how it goes from here.

8. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

9. TopTop #6
    SamSpooner

Re: A Big Frog in the Little Lagoon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Arch Ankle Michael: View Post
    Michael,
    Your remarks about Larry are unfair. It is just wrong to suggest that he was "an instrument of DuPont" . I also opposed the use of this herbicide based on my own reasoning, but Larry’s reasons were well considered and supported by the good scientist of the Laguna Foundation. Larry was the architect of Sebastopol's ordinance restricting the use of pesticides and herbicides on municipal property and he well understands the issue. It took courage for a leader on this issue to take a principled and controversial position.

I salute you for stepping into the race for council, but I can not support your candidacy. Off hand remarks like yours about Larry are not healthy discourse.

Best, Sam Spooner
    Last edited by Barry; 09-20-2016 at 03:00 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SamSpooner: View Post
    Larry’s reasons were well considered and supported by the good scientist of the Laguna Foundation.
    Supported by the good scientist of the Laguna Foundation? The Pepperweed is still in the lagoon so what good did spraying the poison do?

The "Dupont instrument" line was a bit harsh I concede but it rhymed perfectly.

Can you lawfully vote in Sebastopol? I thought that you moved out of Sonoma County.

12. TopTop #8
    Shepherd

The first version of this email from Michael that I received included the following: "And, if Larry had any courage, he would speak for himself." Either Michael or the moderator edited that out.

It does not take much courage to sling mud, which is what Michael has been doing. It takes more courage to refrain and thus not dignify the insults, and thus heighten the mud-slinging. If my friend Michael is ever elected to political office, he will understand this. Or as the wise saying goes, "You do not have to swing at every ball thrown your way."

So Michael has now insulted a 3rd former mayor. Who is next? City Manager, City Clerk, Police Chief, Fire Chief? Other candidates running for City Council?

Sam Spooner and his wife were at the Farm Market this week. They still have family in Sonoma County and grace us with their presence and wisdom often. They are Sebastopol lovers. I welcome this family's re-joining the conversation.

"Harsh," as Michael admits, is what he has brought, and would be likely to bring as a City Council member.

By the way, I want to disclose that I live outside the city limits and cannot vote. Yet I identify with Sebastopol as my small town, which I love. Does that mean that I should shut my mouth? Is that democratic, or authoritarian?

Supported by the good scientist of the Laguna Foundation? The Pepperweed is still in the lagoon so what good did spraying the poison do?

Can you lawfully vote in Sebastopol? I thought that you moved out of Sonoma County.

13. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

14. TopTop #9
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    The first version of this email from Michael that I received included the following: "And, if Larry had any courage, he would speak for himself." Either Michael or the moderator edited that out.
    It was Michael who edited it out because it was not nice and it would have rescinded my previous apology. Then later this afternoon, I had a big ah ha moment when I realized that it is actions like mine that keep good people from running for office, the very same thing that I complain about. So when I point my finger at others for being hypocrites I must remember what my Grandma said; "When you clinch your hand to point your finger at someone, you have three fingers pointing back at you." Therefore according to my Grandmother, I am three times more the hypocrite. Ouch! I will stop here to once again offer my sincere apology.

15. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

16. TopTop #10
    rossmen

I appreciate your courage and rhyme Michael, please don't let finger wagging wags silence real history. Laguna care is mostly a history of bigger and bigger well intentioned mistakes, like most human environmental efforts. I celebrate that you, a council candidate, can name this history, speculate in rhyme about motivation, and apologize for hurt feelings, promising to be more sensitive in future discourse. As I live downstream from town, without the ability to vote or run, I can continue to bubble up with veminous diatribe for the better than.

Last edited by Barry; 09-20-2016 at 03:01 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #11

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Arch Ankle Michael: View Post

"Dupont instrument" rhymed perfectly with "screamed the environmentalist"? I wouldn't be counting on getting much support from the poetry lovers, Michael!

Patrick Brinton

19. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: