Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    David Anderson

Monarch Butterflys

Just wanted to let the community of Graton know that if you have been seeing Monarch butterfly's in the area it is due in part to the efforts of my partner, Darlene . This is the second year of her meticulously collecting monarchs eggs off the milk weed plants in our yard, isolating them from predators, which are many, and providing the caterpillars with enough milk weed plants to reach the chrysalis phase of the metamorphosis process. This year she has raised over 100 Monarchs and released them over the last two months, currently we have ten more and probably this will be the last batch unless the ones we have released start laying eggs. I would encourage any one with a yard to purchase milk weed plants to help encourage there presence in our area, most of all the monarchs on the pacific side of the rocky mountains stay in the state and congregate during the winter months as close as Bolinas also in Pacific Grove and even some clusters have been seen in Oakland. I am so proud of Darlene she works hard to ensure that all she takes charge of reach there goal of becoming a viable Monarch Butterfly, Hopefully, we can make a surge in the populations of Monarchs in California, they need all the help we can give them.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    David Anderson

Re: Monarch Butterflys

Additional note: it is extremely important that if you buy milkweed plants that they are grown without pesticides which seems like a no brainer but most plants are shipped being sprayed with a bacterium that will wear off in a few weeks. Good plants we have purchased with no problems came from a natural nursery that grow there own milkweed they are located in Bolinas. The Monarchs seem to prefer the broad leaf milkweed over the thin leaf but in a pinch they will eat whats available.Tomales is another good source for milkweed.

3. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

4. TopTop #3
    JanetLee

Quote Posted in reply to the post by David Anderson: View Post
    Additional note: it is extremely important that if you buy milkweed plants that they are grown without pesticides which seems like a no brainer but most plants are shipped being sprayed with a bacterium that will wear off in a few weeks. Good plants we have purchased with no problems came from a natural nursery that grow there own milkweed they are located in Bolinas. The Monarchs seem to prefer the broad leaf milkweed over the thin leaf but in a pinch they will eat whats available.Tomales is another good source for milkweed.
    Closer to home California native and other milkweed plants are available at Harmony Farm Supply in Graton and California Flora Native Plant Nursery in Fulton (northeast of Santa Rosa).

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Jude Iam

At the Heirloom Fest last week, the Seed Library was giving away packets of various seeds.
    When my friend asked about Milkweed seeds, one of the lovely people at the booth gave her seeds from her 'private stash'! How sweet is that?
    Jude

P.S. I wonder if they were one of the fined booths?!?!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JanetLee: View Post
    Closer to home California native and other milkweed plants are available at Harmony Farm Supply in Graton and California Flora Native Plant Nursery in Fulton (northeast of Santa Rosa).

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Lisa

Thanks for supporting the Monarchs! We don't have milkweed, but we grow many other butterfly plants. I have noticed several Monarchs this year on the buddleias. It's common for us to see various swallowtails and many other butterflies, but I normally only notice one Monarch a season, if that. We are south of SEB. Wonder if this increase in Monarchs here is because of your work? Such a delight to see them! Thank you!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by David Anderson: View Post
    Just wanted to let the community of Graton know that if you have been seeing Monarch butterfly's in the area it is due in part to the efforts of my partner, Darlene . ....

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    JanetLee

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JanetLee: View Post
    A small correction: Cal Flora Nursery is on the WEST side of 101 near Fulton Rd and River Rd (2990 Somers). A wonderful place!

11. TopTop #7
    Jean-McG

Further good news: Asclepias, botanical name for milkweed, is available from many sources. It loves neglect, except for help with aphid control, spreads freely through root system and has flowers ranging from creamy white to orange with yellow centers. Easy on water requirements. Gophers haven't demolished ours. Deer don't pay any attention. Only the right caterpillars that lay their eggs on the plants. The best looking Asclepias plant has holes munched through the leaves. They have become part of the Monarch cycle. For more fun, put in a pipevine. Louise Hallberg has starts. We do that too. Don't know how it was discovered by that first butterfly but holey leaves later and it, too has been a success. Have fun! Jean

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa: View Post
    Thanks for supporting the Monarchs! We don't have milkweed, but we grow many other butterfly plants. I have noticed several Monarchs this year on the buddleias. It's common for us to see various swallowtails and many other butterflies, but I normally only notice one Monarch a season, if that. We are south of SEB. Wonder if this increase in Monarchs here is because of your work? Such a delight to see them! Thank you!

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #8
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Monarch Butterflys (butterflies)

from The Press Democrat, 9/21:

Mexico City: Authorities Shut Down Illegal Logging

Mexican environmental authorities say they have closed seven sawmills operating illegally in the forest reserve that serves as the wintering ground for monarch butterflies that migrate to Mexico from the United States and Canada.
    No logging is permitted in the reserve's core zone, but loggers have tried to cut trees there in the past. A larger buffer zone does permit some strictly regulated logging and farming.
    Authorities announced the closures Tuesday as part of a stepped-up enforcement effort in which the federal police's Gendarme division is participating.
    Illegal logging in the 33,484-acre core zone dropped from almost 49.4 acres in 2015 to about 29.6 acres thhis year.
    The butterflies are expected to begin arriving in Mexico in late October or early November.

14. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from The Press Democrat, 9/24:
    MEG MCCONAHEY

WINDSOR AND GUERNEVILLE: Monarchs and Milkweed
    Monarch butterflies are valuable pollinators that need help from home gardeners. Master Gardener Suzanne Clarke will offer two free workshops today and Oct. 1. She will give information on the anatomy, life cycle, diet and distribution of monarchs and will explain what home gardeners can do to help them survive. She will also bring along her caterpillar and butterfly cage so workshop participants can watch the metamorphosis. 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today at the Guerneville Library, 14107 Armstrong Woods Road, and Oct. 1 at the Windsor Regional Library, 9291 Old Redwood Highway. For more information, visit sonomamastergardeners.org or call 707-565-2608.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    David and Darlene,

Thank you so much for this! I live at Burbank Heights & Orchards in Sebastopol where we have a big residents' garden at the back of the complex. I think some of our residents might be interested in growing milkweed for the Monarchs. Some may also want to do more. I'd certainly like to know more! Perhaps you and your partner might consider a teaching class?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-24-2016 at 02:35 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: