Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #91
    scamperwillow

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race 2016: Noreen Evans vs Lynda Hopkins

Quite sure - see for yourself - directly from county campaign reports:
    https://www.noreenforsupervisor.com/followthemoney

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    That's an awfully strong word.. Are you sure of that or are you, as one who is on Noreen's staff, getting carried away?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #92
    beshiva

oh Jeez- come on Tom, you know half this stuff just isn't true that you wrote and seems to me written in a heated moment. Really, 20 years of failed environmental policies and the like from Noreen?!-you know that's simply Not true.

And i might add your rant is spoken like a true Carrilloite. you bear out my point and the point of many others that Lynda Hopkins wouldn't be able to get from under that gang of thieves even if she wanted to. Heck, i wish people would Stop throwing that word "visionary" around- as it doesn't remotely describe Lynda, nor Noreen for that matter.

Let's just be honest OK. you like Lynda, i get it. But, i would bet dollars to donuts that Carrillo and his cohorts, like Eric Koenigshoffer, and Hernandez men, told you straight up-"you ain't gonna be Supervisor, so do the next best thingie, and support Hopkins" because SHE is the one we want in there...young, and "teachable".

If Lynda Hopkins jumped into local politics for a few years and actually did something for the people of the 5th District and showed her "visionary" skills you like to tout so much about-Then, maybe, she could step up to run for Supervisor and something to stand on other than the shoulders of bobblehead Carrillo and his buddies. If she could have distanced herself from his "failed" policies i think she might have had a chance. But, frankly, there is a serious credibility factor going on with Hopkins and that's a hurdle hard to overcome.

this does not go without saying, Noreen Evans has some shortcomings but i believe she has the strength needed to deal with this sneaky Board.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    Thank you Barry for sharing your honest opinions in this forum.

Majority at Monte Rio Forum Wednesday night, saw Lynda Hopkins as an exciting, visionary, courageous new leader, that Sonoma County needs, to overcome the twenty years of Noreen Evans failed politics, that has created the worst fiscal disaster in the history of Santa Rosa and Sonoma County. ...

4. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

5. TopTop #93

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    oh Jeez- come on Tom, you know half this stuff just isn't true ...
    And speaking of being honest- ask yourself why Barry and Tom are " worried and concerned" about Noreen being too close to working class organizations but not at all worried about Lynda Hopkins' extensive endorsements and money from gravel mining and real estate and wineries. This is JUST her construction donors in this excel file- it doesn't even contain her winery and real estate interests - so far they have all given her over 300 k- that's not because they support organic farming!

6. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

7. TopTop #94
    O.W.

Thank you Beshiva. What is the problem with getting some experience and show your leadership skills before running? The unions that support Noreen gave us a 5 day work week, worker safety, 40 hour work week, help build the middle class, better pay, job security and benefits. When the unions started getting busted up our middle class shrunk and wages went stagnant. Thank a union for the few workers rights we have left.

The housing Noreen wants to build with pension funds is for our first responders, our people who protect us, health workers and teachers to name a few. When we have an emergency like a major earthquake, do you want these people who support our community living in Vallejo? Many communities including Novato have made lower cost housing available to the folks that work for us. Noreen knows this due to her experience.

We have some serious problems coming up and water is one of them. With the Groundwater Sustainability Act passed last election, Sonoma County is currently forming panels to oversee our 5 basins. Those panel will have powers of imminent domain, the ability to regulate water extractions, set well spacing standards, implement capital projects, assess fees on ALL WATER USERS to cover costs and more. Many environmental groups have been sending letters to the water agency (Board of Supervisors are their bosses) to have a technical committee of independent scientists with clout for science based water management and have more diversity of representation. The wine industry already was told no by the state that they cannot be on these panels. It is appearing that the panels may be mainly elected politicians who will make our water a political football. Think campaign finance reform.

If you were given a $900K house in Forestville to live in and 10 acres of prime vineyards land at about $400K minimum per acre, would you say no to your family and donors when they want to assess everyone to build water projects so the vineyards will have water in the drought? (The state just said next year will be a drought year). In 1970, the first year we started irrigating our crops here, tonnage per acre was 2.37 at $255 a ton (ag commissioner crop reports) and now with unlimited water in 2014, tonnage is at 4.39 per acre and $2,319 a ton. Lynda will be the swing vote. Connect the dots. Sorry, I couldn't say no to my father in law after the fabulous support and he is a nice guy.

You have more at stake than you think.

8. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

9. TopTop #95
    mouse

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    This is not true.

You can see Lynda's professional background here, including founding and running an organic farm practicing community supported agriculture (CSA) , being a reporter SonomaWest, and as Executive Director of Sonoma County Farm Trails.
    Facts though-- she still has never had to seek a full-time job, work her way up professionally anywhere, and her resume is still a big ball of fluff.

Being given a parcel of land isn't the same thing as working to purchase a farm, applying for a job, or holding down a job, or starting at an entry level job, and working her way up. And the way you present it, it seems like her husband was just kicking back and watching her do all that work by herself. Nice.

Writing three bylined articles in a local paper over the course of "years" is not a job.

Stepping in, at the top (naturally) to be Executive Director of at Sonoma County Farm Trails was a hobby--or are you saying she had that full-time job while 'founding and running' the farm? Her salary was not enough to live on here, not in the way to which she has become accustomed to at least. Thankfully, she could afford that hobby. https://nonprofits.findthecompany.co...ty-Farm-Trails.

According to available financials from 2014, Sonoma County Farm Trails had 2 full-time employees. Those two split a total of $56,000.00 in wages (unless there were also part time employees who were paid from that $56,000.00 as well, in which case she made even less):

Statement of Functional Expenses FYE Mar-14
    Compensation of Current Officers, Directors, etc. $56,500

Let's revisit this when her first of what I am sure will be many, many glossy mailers paid for by 4th district business interests trying to sell us her face, which is apparently the freshest, arrives to our homes.

10. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

11. TopTop #96
    Roberta Llewellyn

Umm, Mouse, you sure are keen on the notion that running for Supervisor requires having had a grueling former occupation based on a classic 8:00AM to 5:00PM job for a number of years, and no-one, by golly, in the socio-ecology fortunate enough to have given this person an inheritance such as the Farm you speak of somewhat grudgingly that belongs to Lynda Hopkins and her husband, who also had better be so predisposed...that is, carrying out the puritan work ethic and showing up, both of them, it appear preferably, as blue collar working class hero and heroine.

I played this role in life and not in the movies because I didn't have an alternative, especially after leaving my long time marriage, when I needed to become mainstream in caring for my self and contribute to my growing children and help them to establish the notion this was how to get ahead. Well, not exactly true, and this wasn't, Imagine my surprise, this wasn't the only dance hall in town...but, I was caught on the wheel and had to make the best of what is.

My grown children discovered what worked for them, and I ended up with a small pension from UC and a published novel fortunately making it all okay; still, I cannot imagine this makes me better or anyone who works mainstream than Lynda Hopkins and her choices for making a vibrant living. Too bad for the petty, narrow, lens in judging a pretty amazing woman and her life choices.

Kind of reminds me of my having been a back-to-land person with my husband and our young children during the early seventies. My parents and his were not happy campers and we somehow consoled them and survived their disappointment and concern for our demise...Our children gained hugely from this journey into the Lost Coast Wilderness and our earlier days in Canyon in the Redwoods. It wasn't all good, but, it provided meaningful, authentic life lessons as well as hard work, vision, and courage...just as Hopkins is doing by not going mainstream and using her considerable creative and skillful mind...
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by mouse: View Post
    Facts though-- she still has never had to seek a full-time job, work her way up professionally anywhere, and her resume is still a big ball of fluff. ....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 10:21 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #97
    Shepherd

I have a request for both sides in this battle. As a 72-year-old English teacher, I prefer shorter paragraphs, so I can pause and breath. Otherwise, with such long paragraphs, I tune them out. I may be the only old person who still tries to read these exhausting posts, though I doubt that. Content is important, but so is form.

If you want to have a message communicated, why not use standard English and form? We are not all fast-moving. I admit to being grouchy and cranky. There is too much information in this long, long paragraph to absorb in one paragraph, as there are in other Wacco posts, in my opinion. I could edit it for you, as I do those of my college students, but that would probably be even more offensive.

I mean no insult, but I get tired of reading long, dense paragraphs whose content interests me but whose form gives me a headache, literally.

[I generally edit in paragraph breaks as needed before the digest is sent out. ~ Barry]
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

15. TopTop #98
    Roberta Llewellyn

Hi Shepard, I acknowledged your request with gratitude, and, wish to make the following comment. I am not sure what the English teacher in you wishes from me exactly? Sure though, go ahead and edit my post. It's true I tend to have run-on sentences and an overly long paragraph here. I apologize for making you tired and having to work a bit but It is also true my style as well as your style all comes from our acquired form. When I was first in grade school I could read because I had learned at home from my mother. However, I wrote backwards and on the opposite side of the paper. I'm sure that would have been a big challenge for you too! Fortunately, my dad showed me a mirror-image of what I was doing and I learned immediately how to correct my writing.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I have a request for both sides in this battle. As a 72-year-old English teacher, I prefer shorter paragraphs, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

17. TopTop #99
    Roberta Llewellyn

Seal Watcher, I had meant Lynda's work as a farmer is not mainstream, and clearly not mainstream in the context of what Mouse had suggested was a big problem. I do not see privilege in Lynda's background as having formed her into a cut-paste mainstreamer. She appear to me to be rather unique in her qualifications. True enough she didn't go the usual route of elected school board member or city council but actually made a direct leap to where she thinks she can make a difference.

I do not think the backers who are development entities are automatically a handicap as long as she herself has integrity and can handle the position with decorum and skill. I think the notion of big business being inherently evil is a mistaken premise and money is only money unless it is used by the receiver in a corrupted fashion. I see no sign of this or that Lynda is being bought by these so-called dreaded developers to do deplorable deeds.

I support the idea of let's see how this get handled and managed by the person who is standing for working in partnership with integrity. Some of her backers are the very people we wish to have around such as Burbank Housing developers who have built much needed affordable housing in Sonoma County. I'm just making a distinction here that I feel needs to be made. I'm weary of the finger pointing toward finding fault without first seeing what Lynda is about and where she is standing in her brave effort.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    ...But, Roberta, going mainstream is exactly what Lynda Hopkins has done. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:08 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #100
    beshiva

lol- are we getting a widdle grumpy- lol
    just listen to our youth's hip hop a little more- it will all start to sink in....ha
    what IS standard English and form anymore and did it really make us wiser or understand one another any better, treat each other any better.
    ok, i'll try xo
    I have a request for both sides in this battle. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:08 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #101
    photolite

if you truly believe Lynda Hopkins is mainstream compared to Evans, you have been stuck in West Sonoma County for a very long time.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    "...just as Hopkins is doing by not going mainstream and using her considerable creative and skillful mind..."

But, Roberta, going mainstream is exactly what Lynda Hopkins has done....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:11 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #102
    photolite

Roberta,
    I've been appreciating your thoughtful posts with their sincere resonance. Clearly you choose to think things through without distraction by the occasional howls of partisanship on this thread. The most strident of the Evans supporters typically are on her payroll, directly or indirectly, yet you patiently state your case in the face of pushback to your acknowledgements of Lynda Hopkins assets and strengths.

Much has been made of Hopkins' lack of experience, the louder voices among us insisting she needs to begin her political career on a less challenging field than the BOS. It kind of reminds me of eight years ago, when a first term Congressman with a background in community organizing was similarly taken to task for having the temerity to challenge an iconic aspirant with a long political biography. A lot of people believed his ambitions were out-sized, yet today Barack Obama has proven himself to arguably be among the most effective and successful of a very elite group. I believe it to be because he is an extremely gifted and inspirational figure. In this instance those attributes prevailed over the status quo of long political tenure. My point being that it can, and sometimes does, happen to work out the way we expected.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Roberta Llewellyn: View Post
    I attended on this hot day in Bodega Bay at the "Secret Garden" a fundraiser for Noreen Evans and listened to a talk she gave ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:13 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #103
    riverosprey

https://www.facebook.com/TheOmarMedina?fref=ts

Great dialogue on SEIU rep Omar Medina's site:

TomLynch And that is Bull Omar :)... never try to BS a BS'er...I cansee Noreen ain't gonna make it in the Fifth...you should have seen Lynda outperform Noreen at the Monte Rio debate, issue after issue. Omar I like you,maybe for the good of the union, with Lynda Hopkins as soon to be FifthDistrict Supervisor y'all should start hedging your bets and drop the BS attackads?

OmarMedina What's the "bull" Tom? Are you saying anything in this video is notfactual? If so, be specific, don't just BS. I'm connecting the dots and peoplecan judge for themselves.

Tom, what are the issues that you agree with Lyndamore so than Noreen? And, what do you disagree with in the video?

TomLynch Alison welcome, congratulations and thank you (and Omar) foryour public service! Mark my word the pension benefits you and Omar arepromised will not be there when your generation retires, because my generation,the first wave of retiring baby boomers, have gamed the system for their ownadvantage, at the expense of you and your children. We are destined for aMalthusian meltdown, an inevitable collapse of the retirement system, becausepoliticians like Noreen Evans, beholden to the boomers for massive campaigncontributions, gave huge unfunded increases to the boomers retirement withoutfunding them. Now we're seeing huge decreases in funding to the least of theeamong us, while you and Omar, on the tip of the spear with Human Services, arewitness to more and more cuts in order to fund Rod "Bernie Madoff"Dole's $260,000 retirement. I like you and Omar, I fight for your generation,and ask you both to learn more about "Intergenerational Equity".Don't be the goats leading the sheep to slaughter, be critical of your olderpeers in the Unions. The reason we're seeing huge increases in tuition, and lossof services government once provided for generations, is because politicianslike Noreen Evans betrayed your generation, with massive unfunded obligationsthat you and Omar and my 13 year old daughter are paying for. Go to www.pensiontsunami.com andGoogle "Intergenerational Equity".

Pension Tsunami
    The oncoming wave of public pensiondebt is even bigger than it seems. The purpose of this…
    pensiontsunami.com

TomLynch p.s. I agree with Lynda with fixes for Ag-reform, affordablehousing, humane homeless housing, and reinventing government to create moreeffective solutions. I also hope my peers fighting for Inter-generationalEquity, can find an ally in Lynda, but alas it's difficult for your generationto fight the Boomers controlling the unions, the management and by and large most elected officials. Go to www.tomlynchforsupervisor.comto understand more of what I believe, having lived in Sonoma County for thelast 37 years, and been very active in making the world better for my daughter and the next generations.

Tom Lynch for Sonoma County FifthDIstrict Supervisor - Tom Lynch for…
    tomlynchforsupervisor.com

TomLynch p.s.s. I suppose the SEIU attack ads are a good thing, theycost Rue Furch the election in 2008 and are helping Lynda Hopkins become ournext supervisor. Bye for now---respect and kind regards to you and Omar!

Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:14 PM.

26. TopTop #104
    mouse

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    R... It kind of reminds me of eight years ago, when a first term Congressman with a background in community organizing was similarly taken to task for having the temerity to challenge an iconic aspirant with a long political biography. ...
    Tell me you did not just compare Hopkins to Obama. The audacity of Hopkins.

Even Mr. Obama took an entry level job in his time and had congressional experience. I guess she will be substituting wealth and white privilege for that in her campaign?

(Roberta's "case" seems to be that she too worked on a farm back in the day and that Hopkins reminds her of a younger version of herself, and maybe one of her kids? I guess that's a reason to vote for somebody. Not a good one, in my opinion, but a reason nonetheless.)
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 02:16 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

28. TopTop #105
    Roberta Llewellyn

In reply to Mouse and the comment she made regarding my defense of Lynda Hopkins...my using my life background has nothing to do with a similar reality only had to do with illustrating how life choices for many of us are reflective of our great diversity and do not mean we are without skillful means, intelligence, and a mindset to empower ourselves, and representing people from different and diverse backgrounds. I will bow out of further posts due to the tone of this discourse having become outside of respectful commenting.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mouse: View Post
    ...(Roberta's "case" seems to be that she too worked on a farm back in the day and that Hopkins reminds her of a younger version of herself, and maybe one of her kids? I guess that's a reason to vote for somebody. Not a good one, in my opinion, but a reason nonetheless.)
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2016 at 03:09 PM.

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #106
    sohemi

I apologize in advance for the length of this message.

I have been reading this thread and need to make a few of my own observations. I originally entered the race for 5th District BOS, in response to Noreen Evans moving to Sebastopol (West County), and entering the race. I tell you this, so you understand where my mindset originally was. I then spent 3 months getting to know all of the candidates. My conversion to Noreen came slowly, but it did arrive. Why, you may ask, do I now wholeheartedly endorse, and support Noreen Evans for the 5th District BOS?

The first time I met Noreen, I stood up after the forum, got in her face and told her she was absolutely wrong about one of her positions and why. She looked surprised, but not flustered by my statements. Instead, she listened respectfully. Over the next 3 months I discovered her innate sense of humor and her ability to understand that this race was NOT about her. I discovered she genuinely, and passionately, cares about West County. Did you know she moved to Sonoma County in 1982? I learned her kid went to school in Sebastopol, and she has always felt at home there. I also listened to her ideas - she represents those ideas I hold dear 1) Developing affordable housing 2) Finding more permanent answers to homelessness and 3) Maintaining our agricultural heritage through balanced growth. She wants to keep West County clean from GMOs, glyphosates and strip mining. She wants to maintain our green belts and mitigate the impact wineries have on their neighbors.

I have faith that Noreen Evans will stand up for what is best for the 5th District. She will NOT be bullied or peer pressured into doing something. Her years in the California Legislature showed us this. During the recession, she held fast to her ideals against a wave of opposition.

I want my Supervisor to be mature and calm in the eye of the storm. I observed Noreen's behavior and demeanor during the primary campaign. It was consistent and steady, whether there was an audience or not. She did not have multiple emotional breakdowns. She did not respond in a defensive or immature fashion to those who disagree with her or those she felt had slighted her. I cannot say the same about her opponent.

For those who believe maturity and age go hand in hand, I point out Trump, one of the most immature people I have listened to and Jack Tibbetts, who, while in his 20s, is one of the MOST mature people I have had the good fortune of meeting.

For those living in the Past about Pension Reform, I say, it is time to move forward. The state Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act that took affect 1/01/2013, was during Noreen's watch in the Legislature. Some have hinted she was "pressured" to support it. I ask "Where is your proof?" She did not vote for the increased/retro Pensions for SCERA. She was there, however, for part of the solution. I am just as concerned as anyone else about the Fiscal Health of our County. Let us find the solutions together, building on PEPRA.

Kind Regards, Marion Chase

PS: I will not be responding to, or engaging in, any comments to this post. I have said my piece. PEACE OUT!

31. TopTop #107
    O.W.

A couple of things about her "resume". She was at Farm Trails for less than a year and let go, I have no idea why. I believe she held that position some years ago. "Leadership Circle" for Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) is an unelected position, they have officers that are elected. Hardly qualifications for one of the most powerful positions in our county.

32. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

33. TopTop #108
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Oh, Shepherd, thanks! Me, too.....

... I prefer shorter paragraphs, ...

34. TopTop #109
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

...As a 72-year-old English teacher, I prefer shorter paragraphs...
    I agree!

In addition, please include a blank line between paragraphs.

If you make your post easier to read, more people will read them!

35. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

36. TopTop #110

On the topic of campaign contributions, I believe Lynda Hopkins and her supporters are missing (or obscuring) the point. They do not deny that she receives a substantial degree of support from commercial interests, but they downplay the significance of this fact. They say there is "no proof" that she will be influenced by her backers if she is elected. How could there be proof of such a thing before the fact anyway? Additionally, proof is a courtroom standard, and has no application to electoral matters. We have to make up our minds according to what we see as being most likely, and by that standard both reason and experience tell us that politicians tend to act in the interests of those that back them financially.

Ms Hopkins, with an air of injured innocence, is outraged that anyone should accuse her of being in the pockets of her backers, or imply that she is open to some kind of bribery. While I cannot with knowledge state that nobody has used such terms, it is not outright bribery or overt control that is at issue here. The plain fact is that business people do not give money to candidates unless they think the candidate will support their interests. These are the people who know her best, who encouraged her to run, who gave her that essential early money that enables a new unknown candidate to make a splash and position herself as a serious contender. All of this indicates that they think she will be "on their side" where it counts.

Does this mean that she will always spout their line, and vote in lockstep with what they want? Of course not. In a political climate like Sonoma County's that would be political suicide. They would rather have her continue to be elected than win every point. Large money interests play for the long term, and they do whatever they can to gain some kind of edge. They also know that often what is important is not votes on issues that generate widespread public opposition, what one might term "show" votes, but rather on enforcement and staff decisions that may never come up for an actual vote on the BOS, but can nonetheless be strongly affected by a supervisor pulling strings behind the scenes. It is about what subjects are even brought up for discussion, and whose interests they serve.

Ms Hopkins presents herself as a struggling organic farmer, but she did not attain that status by working for it; her husband inherited their first farm, and they had sufficient resources to purchase a second one. I am not clear whether they sold the first farm to buy the second or still own both, but either way the did not fight their way up from the bottom by their own hard work and resources. This is not intended as a slur, but as a plain statement of fact. The reason it is relevant is that peoples' attitudes and assumptions are strongly influenced by their life experiences. It is very difficult to have a true gut level appreciation for the plight of those at the bottom of our societal heap if you have not experienced that plight.

Here in west Sonoma County we tend to pride ourselves on being progressives. This means we believe that government actions can and should improve the lives of the least advantaged among us, and that one of the primary purposes of government is to protect the powerless from the powerful. If this is really how we feel, we might consider electing the candidate who, from her own experience, is likely to be the more familiar with the needs of the powerless, who is herself a renter (and no, she does not own a house in Santa Rosa to retreat to if she loses as some have suggested.)

Patrick Brinton

37. TopTop #111
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Does anyone know when and where their debate is?

38. TopTop #112
    scamperwillow

All of our campaign events including public forums are listed on our web site: https://www.noreenforsupervisor.com/calendar

There aren't any "debates" per se - they are forums where one answers then the other.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Goat Rock Ukulele: View Post

39. TopTop #113
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Candidates Forum Sponsored by Sunrise Rotary Sebastopol
    Monday, October 03, 2016 at 06:00 PM
    Community Church of Sebastopol in Sebastopol

Roseland Debate, hosted by the Sonoma County Gazette
    Thursday, October 6th
    Location TBD
    6:00PM to 8:00PM

Candidate Forum, hosted by the League of Women Voters
    Monday, October 10, 2016 at 06:30 PM
    Sebastopol Community Center

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #114
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's some real nice video from the 5th District Supervisor Candidate Forum held in Monte Rio on September 21 sponsored by the Sonoma County Gazette. Sam Euston did the video.

Clicking on the image below will take you to a youtube playlist where the forum video is broken up into 9 small pieces:

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #115

Barry

I am requesting that you ask Tom Lynch to moderate the tone of his posts on this thread. I, for one, find them overheated, rude, hostile appeals to emotion rather than reason. He makes countless unsupported assertions and opinions with almost no factual material to back them up. If this is indeed a forum for real political discussion then in my opinion this style of writing does nothing to elevate the conversation or genuinely attempt to persuade, and has no place here.

Patrick Brinton

44. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

45. TopTop #116
    Goat Rock Ukulele

I watched all those videos. It seemed like they pretty much agree on everything. Can someone point to differences in their pollicies or positions? I got that Hopkins favored forming a few new citizens boards and Evans did not but that seems pretty minor. They both come off as intelligent and capable.

46. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

47. TopTop #117
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton: View Post
    I am requesting that you ask Tom Lynch to moderate the tone of his posts on this thread.
    I don't think Tom's posts are out of place here, but some of them overstate his case and I think do not serve his cause or reflect well on him. For instance:

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    ..Majority at Monte Rio Forum Wednesday night, saw Lynda Hopkins as an exciting, visionary, courageous new leader, that Sonoma County needs, to overcome the twenty years of Noreen Evans failed politics, that has created the worst fiscal disaster in the history of Santa Rosa and Sonoma County. Noreen did not do well against Lynda Hopkins, who took her to task over and over, saying her solutions will not work, period...
    I do have a problem with his (and other's) redundancy, though. I suppressed a recent post from him from the digest for that reason.

48. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

49. TopTop #118
    scamperwillow

The difference is that Noreen has a 20 year track record where you can actually SEE what she has done. Lynda, with no experience at all in government, can say whatever she wants with no evidence that she has or will do any of it. You can also look at where the money and support comes from - in other words who will be putting pressure on the candidate to vote their way.

When I am unfamiliar with an issue or candidate, I always look at where the money is coming from - it is a pretty good indicator.

I watched all those videos. It seemed like they pretty much agree on everything. Can someone point to differences in their pollicies or positions? I got that Hopkins favored forming a few new citizens boards and Evans did not but that seems pretty minor. They both come off as intelligent and capable.

50. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

51. TopTop #119
    scamperwillow

I can't get the Gazette Forum videos to load. Anyone else having this problem?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-26-2016 at 04:34 PM.

52. TopTop #120
    riverosprey

Thank you Barry, Patrick, Lisa et al,

I will endeavor toward brief comments...thank you Barry for removing the digest.

L, Tom

I don't think Tom's posts are out of place here, but some of them overstate his case and I think do not serve his cause or reflect well on him.

I do have a problem with his (and other's) redundancy, though. I suppressed a recent post from him from the digest for that reason.

53. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: