Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #421
    rossmen

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race 2016: Noreen Evans vs Lynda Hopkins

Yeah, but of course, yes thats a lot of money and it's just for one county supervisor. There must be some specific goals in mind, even with no specific agreements. Hopkins does talk tough on pensions, proposing county workers pay more, evans son is in the seiu?

I don't hear either addressing the big payouts to public safety and management. What i see and hear about is the county cutting staff and putting money into contracts with nonprofits and companies who pay shit, including security. The high salary jobs are retained.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    As Bernie as so eloquently said many times Corporate Bosses own our government. Why shouldn't workers and their unions have the right to participate in creating an economy that works for all- not just the 1%?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #422
    rossmen

I think it is unfair. I live just north of sebastpol and the city's decisions effect many areas of my life. The bos sets the laws for where i live and work. Why do citizens of incorporated municipalities (the magority of voters who of course candidates pay more attention too), get to vote twice on the laws that effect us all and i get to vote only once! This is representative democracy where the majority has twice the representation that i do.

It was a tough crowd, mostly city dwellers. Looked like the only people younger than me were noreen's campaign worker, an analy student, and my 4 yr old daughter, and i am older than you. Sweet well meaning people who care, are set in life, and don't want change. I had talked to noreen before we all sat down about a coming bos decision, the new campus for my two youngest daughters, right down the street from my house, right over the city line from sebtown. She knew about it, had toured the site with school leaders, and had nothing to say about the political impasse. Lynda has talked about the issue of unincorporated representation.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sohemi: View Post
    I would give her the benefit of the doubt that she did not hear you, as the answer to your question is not a State Secret. Each Supervisor represents ALL of the residents of their District, not just the unincorporated areas. To allow ONLY the unincorporated areas a vote for District Supervisor, would not be representative Democracy.

3. TopTop #423
    Investigative Reporter

Re: Lisa: deflection is not a communications strategy or an answer to important budget iss

Beshiva, you ask:

"$$$ is squandered on Justice Services. Why aren't you beating down the door of the BOS to complain about THAT?"

I find it ironic, because, in fact, on behalf of our non-profit Sonoma Independent, and the Restore Library Hours campaign, I did exactly that.

You can read about it in this award winning expose, which I spent quite a bit of uncompensated time on, here:
    Despite Record Budget Surplus, Supervisors Refuse to Restore Library Hours

Given that I do not have access to the info, or dozens of more hours to volunteer to get the pension info together, and given that Lisa M. and her union have this data available, I do not think it unreasonable to ask that they make it available to the public here, so that we can see why our county pension costs have skyrocketed, and which segments of the County employee roster are most responsible for this.

I did a lot of research for that library piece, to cull budget figures for the County, and come up with the only infographic in any County media that demonstrates how our County budget reflects out of control incarceration-favoring priorities. I do not think these spending priorities are shared by our fellow taxpayers: a dramatic increase in prison/parole spending at a time of lower crime rates, while library hours remain cut at their lowest level in a century. We could have restore library hours for just 5% of the INCREASE in prison/probation during the past four years prior to 2015, yet our grassroots group was told the County had no money to do this.

Here's the graphic that illustrates this spending mis-prioritization:

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    ...Why aren't you beating down the door of the BOS to complain about THAT?! Millions of $$$'s in lawsuits as a result of police brutality, ...!
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2016 at 12:53 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #424
    rossmen

Thank you for taking time to educate me and perhaps others. So noreen served on the commission as soco rep when on city council and served as legislative oversight for the conservancy while in the assembly. And the objection is about faulting her for conservancy meeting attendance, which was not her role.

Did she attend commission meetings? This agency seems like the real nut grinder if you want to do anything on the coast. Years ago i was advised to stay well away when redtagged for fixing old houses in bodega bay without a county permit. Noreen claims credit for all this stuff, why not examine the record. When carrillo dissed her (in his endorsement of lynda), for being absent in county state collaboration i thought, go noreen! Shoot etard down! Instead she dismissed his claims. Please share more facts.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jenielson: View Post
    The point is that the two organizations have very different origins and roles. The Commission is sort of like a Planning Commission for the coast. The Coastal Conservancy "is a State agency established in 1976 ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2016 at 12:55 PM.

6. TopTop #425
    jenielson

Charles Lester, the Coastal Commission director recently deposed by Gov. Brown's appointees, lauded Noreen's service on the Commission in a fundraiser for her at Bodega Bay last month. I've done the research on the Coastal Conservancy smear; time for you and others to do some digging if you want more information about her Coastal Commission service.

Perhaps it suffices to say that more recent appointees have made some very much less conserving decisions than the Commission did during the years of Noreen's service?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Thank you for taking time to educate me and perhaps others...

7. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

8. TopTop #426
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from The Press Democrat, 10/19:

Evans and the coast
    EDITOR: The letter criticizing Noreen Evans’ attendance at the California Coastal Conservancy reflects ignorance of her job as state senator (“Empty chair,” Oct. 12). As the conservancy’s website clearly states, six members of the Legislature provide oversight and participate in conservancy activities. They aren’t voting members of the governing board.
    If you search the conservancy website under Evans’ name, pages of activities pop up showing what she was involved in for the conservancy.
    The conservancy meets six times a year around the state, a schedule that conflicts with the legislative calendar. Had Evans attended all the conservancy meetings as a non-voting legislative representative, the same people would now be criticizing her for neglecting her responsibilities in the state Capitol.
    Evans’ record on coastal issues is unmatched. She prevented renewal of offshore oil drilling, wrote legislation to protect our crab and salmon fisheries and supported marine protected areas. She is supported by Charles Lester and a host of coastal environmental organizations and individuals.
    ARTURO T. ROMERO
    Santa Rosa

9. TopTop #427
    mouse

There are posts here that claim more extreme river gravel mining will improve the river, that celebrate a candidate's ignorance and lack of experience, and frame her thin skin and shrill temperament as a positive.

Meanwhile the same posters condemn Noreen Evans for having a proven track record of working to protect our environment and to support workers, and for being able to keep calm under stress. Big developers sure are desperate to put their chosen candidate in place.

Can you afford to raise your kids in a place where the wealthy get whatever they want, whenever they want, without having to work for it? Is that the world we want to create here? We can do better than that, West County.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by markwjam: View Post
    I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather hear a shrill response, which indicates where the person is coming from, rather than something more even tempered that may or may not indicate where someone is coming from..in some cases, an even, smooth response indicates someone who has learned to hide what they are feeling.....and that is certainly true of so many veteran politicians...
    note: I do support Noreen Evans for supervisor

10. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

11. TopTop #428
    sambacat
    Supporting member

John Dyson and his wife have contributed $9,500 to Hopkins and another $35,000 to Eric Koenigshofer's super PAC. He is a New York investor, former deputy mayor appointed by Rudy Giuliani, and part of the international conglomerate that owns William Selyem. He does not live or vote in Sonoma County. When you #FollowtheMoney, it can take you to some interesting places indeed!

John S. Dyson - Wikipedia
    John Stuart Dyson is a political and business leader in New York. He serves as the chairman of Millbrook Capital Management[1] …
    EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #429
    KWinter

I'm with you on working toward transparency, financing limits, and overturning Citizens United.

This morning I was presented with another unwelcome example of what money in modern campaigning can buy:
    Both on my usual morning browse through Huffington Post (or was it Daily Kos?) and on my warm-up brain game of Tetris (where I had time to take the attached screen shot) I got a custom-tailored ad. (To see the image more clearly you need to click on the thumbnail.) If you click on the ad you are taken to a website (https://www.5thdistrictfacts.com/) presenting the Hopkins case ("facts") against Evans. If the Hopkins campaign can afford this level of tech expertise I'm amazed at the amateurish quality of the "B.S." video -- maybe it was deliberately "home-made" and "farm-fresh"? Nothing home-made about this online ad campaign.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    ... No matter what your point of view, everyone should work toward financing limits and overturning Citizens United.
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand  

14. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

15. TopTop #430
    Pickles

Re: Lisa M: Please provide the public with the big picture pension numbers that make your

Please provide the public, Jonathan, with who makes up your "Progressive" group. I know at one time previously you did list the names only, with no background or level of expertise. I, for one, was quite shocked at a couple of the names, as I've had first hand experience with them and certainly would not give much weight to anything they had to say. It seems that your much touted "investigative reporter" skills do not apply to your own so-called progressive group, therefore would personally never recommend anyone vote for you as you, nor your group seems to "Walk their Talk". You're always talking about transparency in your posts and yet we've not seen it from you or your group who is supposedly qualified to tell others how to vote?

As I have recently moved out of the area, I can't vote locally this time anyway, but chose not to vote for you before. I still like to keep track of what's going on as I have friends in Sebastopol who do "Walk their Talk" and will always love to visit this beautiful place. I'm also a big fan of Barry and the service he provides with Wacco in allowing differing opinions to be heard, wish all towns had it. However, I do think Sebastopol residents should know the truth about your "rag-tag" group and their respective associations in light of your choice to continue to be a "public persona".

"Transparency" is a word that is thrown around alot these days, esp. in politics, where there doesn't seem to be any. Reminds me of the following quote that "Politics makes for strange bedfellows", which originated with this one:

“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows." The Tempest, by William Shakespeare

In Light of Transparency and Truth,
    Nina

16. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

17. TopTop #431
    farmerdan

KWinter,

Online advertising does not take any expertise nor does it cost very much so attributing 'tech expertise' to the Hopkins campaign might not be appropriate. Direct mail is way more expensive. By way of transparency, I have given money to campaigns when I thought there was a clear choice and pressing need. But I have always wished for limits that would put people on a much more even playing field.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by KWinter: View Post
    ... If the Hopkins campaign can afford this level of tech expertise I'm amazed at the amateurish quality of the "B.S." video -...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 02:35 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #432
    scamperwillow

This is not just internet advertising by Eric Koenigshofer for Hopkins. It is repeated full page ads in the peedee, lots of glossy mailers, a web site and tons of internet ads. Really disgusting. And most of it is untrue and slanderous.

20. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

21. TopTop #433
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I have to say that the actions taken by the new PAC set up by Eric Koenigshofer in support of Lynda Hopkins is quite distasteful.

So have the attacks from independent expenditure organizations in support Norreen against Lynda Hopkins.

Blech!

How about we focus on the issues for bit? Not who their backers are and what you project that to mean, but actual differences in policy expressed directly by the candidates or their official campaign?

A few come quickly to mind, but I'm sure there are more
    1. Affordable Housing. Lynda wants to encourage Jr. Dwelling Units whereas Norreen support inclusionary zoning.
    2. Lynda supports returning TOT money to the area that generated the revenue and the formation of local committees to establish the spending priorities for the money. Noreen does not support this.
    3. Noreen supports "pot for potholes". I forget Lynda's plan for pot money.
    4. Lynda want the SEIU to contribute more to their pensions. Noreen wants to contribute 10% of the TOT money and pot money to help fund the pensions and invest pension fund to finance workforce housing (and getter a higher return on the money?)
    Any corrections or additions that we can not fight about?

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #434
    farmerdan

Barry,

You are a bastion of civility!

1) What is meant be 'inclusionary zoning?'
    2) I have often thought that TOT money needs to be apportioned (though possibly loosely) to the areas that generate it. For example Bodega Bay Fire has to run ambulance for all the tourists on the coast but gets no support from TOT (at least thats what I understand.)
    3) Potholes should be paid from gas taxes/vehicle registration or something else tied to vehicle use.
    Pot taxes should support healthcare, especially mental health, drug an alcohol rehab.
    I know lots of old hippies (like me) think that pot is harmless but lots of kids get wacked out on the super weed that is around today. AND there is an epidemic of overdose of heroin and fentanyl that is killing young people.
    (Hard to admit this as a child of the 60s but I have seen it first hand as a Doc friend just lost his 20 year old son.)
    4) We need pension reform not just pension bailout from pot sales.
    I brought up the question of how many years to full pension and no one answered it.
    Is it 20? How many years to partial pension? When Lisa says the average pensioner gets $33K does this include partial pensions and pensions that go back many years? What is the average for people retiring today?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

1. Affordable Housing. Lynda wants to encourage Jr. Dwelling Units whereas Norreen support inclusionary zoning.
    2. Lynda supports returning TOT money to the area that generated the revenue and the formation of local committees to establish the spending priorities for the money. Noreen does not support this.
    3. Noreen supports "pot for potholes". I forget Lynda's plan for pot money.
    4. Lynda want the SEIU to contribute more to their pensions. Noreen wants to contribute 10% of the TOT money and pot money to help fund the pensions and invest pension fund to finance workforce housing (and getter a higher return on the money?)
    Any corrections or additions that we can not fight about?

24. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

25. TopTop #435

How about you acknowledge Patrick Brintons acceptance of your 'challenge' and the fact that Koenigshofer and his well heeled corporate oligarchs have donated well in excess of the 80k (made up of many small under $100 donations by individual union workers)? You trumpeted that SEIU had the largest donation many times. It's quite obvious now that these SuperPACS by business and real estate interests who support Lynda Hopkins and who are buying time on republican and conservative websites to attack Noreen are easily outspending SEIU.

26. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

27. TopTop #436
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    This is not just internet advertising by Eric Koenigshofer for Hopkins. It is repeated full page ads in the peedee, lots of glossy mailers, a web site and tons of internet ads. Really disgusting. And most of it is untrue and slanderous.
    Yeah, I gotta say I am not enamored with the negativity expressed by these new Hopkins mailers. Though in all fairness the Hopkins campaign tried, at least up til now, to take the high road in the face of the Evans campaign focusing on negativity from the start and ignoring, for the most part, the issues. I think Hopkins comes out ahead on the issues over the tired old pro Evans. Noreen pays only lip service to the issues with no original thinking, at least as far as I can see.

28. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

29. TopTop #437
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    ...1) What is meant be 'inclusionary zoning?'...
    Re 1. Wikipedia describes "inclusionary zoning" (as opposed to just "encouraging jr. dwelling units") as: requiring a given share of new construction to be affordable by people with low to moderate incomes. The mix of "affordable housing" and "market-rate" housing in the same neighborhood is seen as beneficial by city planners and sociologists. IZ is a tool for local municipalitiesto help provide a wider range of housing options than a free market provides on its own.

And, this could be #5: Noreen is committed to ensuring that there are strong regulations within the Local Coastal Plan to prevent overdevelopment of event centers and wineries. Lynda makes no mention of her position on this on her website.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 02:37 PM.

30. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

31. TopTop #438
    Richard Nichols

The assault on Noreen is basically to lie, and then keep it up. I think the 5th Dist folks will see past all the BS.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    from The Press Democrat, 10/19:

Evans and the coast
    EDITOR: The letter criticizing Noreen Evans’ attendance at the California Coastal Conservancy reflects ignorance of her job as state senator...

32. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

33. TopTop #439
    farmerdan

Thanks for the definition.

But I have to say that solving the lack of affordable housing by zoning affordable housing into new subdivisions is never going to make up the huge affordable deficit that exists today. We need both that and a little chaos of allowing second units. Here's why: older subdivisions were built with the idea that we would have large families, never run out of land, and everyone would live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath house.

The reality today is that families are smaller, need smaller houses, (we all do) and there are many singles, couples and elderly who can't afford to buy into 'affordable housing' or will never get the chance. Granny units are ideal for this because they are inclusionary, have the landlord and the tenant on the same property and don't require more infrastructure (for the most part.) We don't need to resize our sewers because we have conserved water. Ditto on our power grid. Parking can be an issue, but not usually in older subs.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sambacat: View Post
    Re 1. Wikipedia describes "inclusionary zoning" (as opposed to just "encouraging jr. dwelling units") as: requiring a given share of new construction to be affordable by people with low to moderate incomes. ...

34. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

35. TopTop #440
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton: View Post
    Challenge accepted. Erik Koenigshofer's PAC has reportedly raised $105,000, and so far spent $85,000 on Lynda Hopkins' behalf....
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    How about you acknowledge Patrick Brintons acceptance of your 'challenge' and the fact that Koenigshofer and his well heeled corporate oligarchs have donated well in excess of the 80k ...
    Thank you, Patrick. I stand corrected. Erik's ignoble PAC appears to be the largest single player followed by the SEIU.

36. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

37. TopTop #441
    scamperwillow

Nobody disagrees about building granny units - it is not either or. We need a combination of solutions. That is what Noreen advocates.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 02:38 PM.

38. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

39. TopTop #442

Muchisimas Gracias!

Thank you, Patrick. I stand corrected. Erik's ignoble PAC appears to be the largest single player followed by the SEIU.

40. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

41. TopTop #443
    rossmen

It is another topic, but i have no idea why lester was voted out and the news reports were confusing and opaque.

My point is that if noreen and her supporters want to win, don't dismiss critique, destroy it. Facts and examples count for people like me. You have done a credible job pointing out that eric was off the mark on conservancy meetings (what do they do again?), and he wanted people to think commission, which i did.

You want to paint eric as a environment raping big money lawyer willing to pull dirty election tricks? Then show noreen was a champion of the people while on the commission. You are the advocate, i am the voter. When you write to me do my own research to my challenging questions to you then i think there must be something to the critique. I did look at noreen's blog you linked too and challenged your description. I appreciate your contribution to wacco political discussion.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jenielson: View Post
    Charles Lester, the Coastal Commission director recently deposed by Gov. Brown's appointees,...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

42. TopTop #444
    Redwood Path

Recent hit piece against Noreen Evans

I recently received a hit piece against Noreen Evans stating that she had missed 31 out to 33 meetings of the Coastal Conservancy while she was a member. The headline of the piece was "Would you hire someone with a history of missing work more than 90% of the time?
    Has anyone heard from Evans on this attack? And if so, what is her response.
    I'd like to hear her explanation before I make a judgement.

43. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

44. TopTop #445
    scamperwillow

Actually the total contributions to Eric's PAC is now at $160,000! Including the $35,000 from John Dyson who lives in New York.

Stay tuned for a lot more trash and lies.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

45. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

46. TopTop #446
    scamperwillow

Re: Recent hit piece against Noreen Evans

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Redwood Path: View Post
    I recently received a hit piece against Noreen Evans stating that she had missed 31 out to 33 meetings of the Coastal Conservancy while she was a member. The headline of the piece was "Would you hire someone with a history of missing work more than 90% of the time?
    Has anyone heard from Evans on this attack? And if so, what is her response.
    I'd like to hear her explanation before I make a judgement.
    More deception and lies. See jane Nielsons explanation below via a former employee of the Conservancy. But the short answer is that she was a legislative advisor to the coastal conservancy (not commission) not a voting member and not required to attend meetings. If she HAD gone to the meetings held around the state, she would have been missing her REAL work in the Capitol.

Eric knows this since he is good buddies with doug bosco who happens to chair the coastal conservancy. Pure and blatant deception. Sickening.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-20-2016 at 03:00 PM.

47. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

48. TopTop #447
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    More deception and lies. ....
    Well I'm not sure..I guess sleezy Eric is busy once again..I guess a counter-add on Lynda Hopkins could read something like "would you hire someone who Never HAD a job!

49. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

50. TopTop #448
    Redwood Path

Thanks for the clarification Scamperwillow. Please direct me to the Jane Nielson explanation that you mention (I couldn't find it). I will write a letter to the editor to clarify this misinformation since that hit piece is pretty damning info for the average voter.

51. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

52. TopTop #449
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Redwood Path: View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Scamperwillow. Please direct me to the Jane Nielson explanation that you mention (I couldn't find it)....
    See Jane's post here and her following posts.

53. Gratitude expressed by:

54. TopTop #450
    riverosprey

from Vesta Copestakes (Editor/Publisher of Sonoma County Gazette)

My FAVORITE Letter to the Editor about the 5th District election - THANK YOU Scott!!!

BIG-MONEY GIRL DOES GOOD

I understand Lynda Hopkins has received a lot of money from business to back her campaign. Some say a whole lot, like a zillion or a even a zillion five. Some say Lynda had to leave her prize goats out in the rain so she'd have a place to store all that cash. I'm sure that's a silly exaggeration--unless the Noreen Evans campaign gives official confirmation that they believe it's true. But I have some bad news for Fat Cat Donors: Unless you are too dumb to realize what district we are talking about, this is the Fifth.

Way past granola, way past merely environmental, way past approving of any business that is not GMO-free, Monsanto-hating and worker-owned. Build on the coast? forget it. See, once Lynda is in office, unless you are a one-percenter of the nature-loving persuasion, who has a Constitutional right to see lovely open space every day, you are not going to like the way Lynda does business. She doesn't want RoundUp anywhere near her organic farm, and she doesn't want any event centers in ag zones, any more big grape-growing projects that rob water from existing users, any further degradation of the River or any of that stuff that Noreen should oppose as well. So if Lynda doesn't want to listen to the gravel miners and developers, she won't have to. IN FACT, DOING FAVORS FOR BIG BUSINESS WOULD BE A DEATH SENTENCE FOR ANY NEW FIFTH DISTRICT SUPERVISOR'S SECOND TERM. So Lynda not only means what she says, she is free to keep her promises. And know what? Her big financial backers know that. In the Fifth Supervisorial District of Sonoma County, California, big contributors are grateful that Lynda will talk to them at all. She certainly doesn't have to.

Scott Kersnar
    Guerneville
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2016 at 12:20 PM.

55. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: