Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #541
    scamperwillow

Re: Hopkins signs...

"in bed with Monsanto" is a bit of hyperbole. It was a $1500 contribution years ago - they support research into MS which many in her family are afflicted with. In this campaign, Noreen has contributed $1500 to Measure M - the campaign to block GMO's and Monsanto in our county.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Exactly! If it was revealed that 10 years ago Lynda was in bed with Monsanto, Noreen's paid operative and surrogates would be lighting up this thread like the old Four Queens pinball machine...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-30-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

3. TopTop #542
    mouse

Actually, we know that Noreen will not sell out the environment to any 'big nasty donors' because of her actual voting record. Experience matters.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    So either Noreen sold out to her big, nasty donors, 10 years ago or it's possible for a candidate to accept money from donors and not do their bidding that is in conflict with her/constituent's values. Which is it?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 08:32 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #543
    mouse

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race 2016: Noreen Evans vs Lynda Hopkins

If it weren't for the supporters of the farm waif throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks, we could all have a nice weekend.

A campaign contribution from a ten year old race at the state level taken completely out of context is being compared to contributions ten times larger, at a current local race. If you think these are the same thing, you are not smart enough to vote.

6. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

7. TopTop #544
    farmerdan

At the risk of climbing into the middle of a personal battle, I would like to offer the following:

Both Lynda and Noreen are imperfect beings like all of the rest of us and while each will bring a different flavor to the role, we will survive either way. The coast won't go to hell if Lynda is elected and the SEIU likely won't control pensions if Noreen is.

We elected young brash, inexperienced people before and in my mind got a pretty good deal.
    (Eric K., who I believe was 27 at the time and the darling of the environmentalists, Efren who was not the darling of the environmentalists but helped protect the coast, and Mike and Ernie.)
    Many very reasonable people are supporting either candidate so it is not sensible to say that one is good and the other bad. They are, like us, mixed bags.

I would very much like to see how we get to a more inclusive discussion instead of simply manning the barricades and holding ourselves up as the only good guys. To accomplish much, collaboration is much better than conflict. We need to move to a more sustainable world and we need to move there quickly. We need everyone on board to do this, farmers, vintners, gravel miners, garbage collectors, unions, environmentalists, housing advocates, anti-housing advocates, democrats and republicans.

[QUOTE=mouse;207505]Actually, we know that Noreen will not sell out the environment to any 'big nasty donors' because of her actual voting record. Experience matters...../QUOTE]
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 01:14 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #545
    mouse

Noreen for Supervisor

I appreciate that effort at being 'fair and balanced,' but it was not a great success. Somehow I still know your post was another attempt to convince us that relative youth can somehow be substituted for work experience. It can't. (And it's ageist. I'm not a fan of that.)

Your candidate is a wealthy land owner who hasn't done a lick of entry level work to develop her chops or earn a reputation in public service. That's why we don't know what will happen if she is hired. All we know is that she has made some seriously flawed bedfellows this election. I personally don't like the 'flavor' of gravel mining, the Ratto group, and rampant development. Maybe you do.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    At the risk of climbing into the middle of a personal battle, I would like to offer the following:...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 01:15 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #546
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from The Press Democrat, 10/29:

EDITOR: Congratulations in advance to Noreen Evans and her supporters for the exemplary way in which they have conducted themselves during the 5th District supervisor campaign.

Serving in public elected office is a challenge. There are many competing interests and constituencies, and everyone wants to be your friend (as in quid pro quo). Honesty (admitting when you’ve made a mistake), integrity (standing up for your convictions) and maturity (self-awareness) are a few of the personal qualities necessary to be an effective and reliable public servant.

There is no end to the special interests that will bring pressure to bear in order to have it their way. Keeping focused on the greater good is a rule of thumb for anyone seeking to uphold the public’s interest.

I voted for Evans (by mail) because anyone knows it takes more than a sweet smile, a bunch of carrots and photo ops in a field of cow pies to make an effective leader.

ANNE MAGNIE
    Sebastopol
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-30-2016 at 01:53 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

13. TopTop #547
    jbox

Re: Noreen for Supervisor

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mouse: View Post
    I appreciate that effort at being 'fair and balanced,' but it was not a great success. Somehow I still know your post was another attempt to convince us that relative youth can somehow be substituted for work experience. It can't. (And it's ageist. I'm not a fan of that.)

Your candidate is a wealthy land owner who hasn't done a lick of entry level work to develop her chops or earn a reputation. That's why we don't know what will happen if she is hired. All we know is that she has made some seriously flawed bedfellows this election. I personally don't like the 'flavor' of gravel mining, the Ratto group, and rampant development. Maybe you do.
    I am going to call out "Mouse" as a troll or a shill for Noreen. Mouse has not given his or her real name, joined recently at the start of this election and all of her posts save one have been a bit too vehemently for Evans and against Hopkins.This is quite reminiscent of "Scamperwillow" who I called Noreen's shill, only to be censored and excoriated. Eventually she did admit to be a paid Evans campaign worker.

Mouse, care to be more forthcoming about yourself and your agenda?

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #548
    Shepherd

For those who were not here some 24 years ago, when I moved here, the author of this letter, Ann Magnie, was a former Sebastopol City Council member and mayor, who worked hard for Sebastopol and the 5th District. I especially like her last sentence in this PD letter.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    from The Press Democrat, 10/29:

EDITOR: Congratulations in advance to Noreen Evans
    ANNE MAGNIE
    Sebastopol
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 08:33 AM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

17. TopTop #549
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Me, too!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    For those who were not here some 24 years ago, when I moved here, the author of this letter, Ann Magnie, was a former Sebastopol City Council member and mayor, who worked hard for Sebastopol and the 5th District. I especially like her last sentence in this PD letter.

18. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

19. TopTop #550
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Has anyone compared this BOS race with the Clinton/Trump one? Because yesterday's sleek and shiny mailer from Hopkins was Trumpishly vicious.......I'd love to hear one of our clever people do a piece on that!

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #551
    mouse

Calling anyone who disagrees with you a "troll" and a "shill," instead of offering substantive arguments says more about you. You seem frustrated that baseless arguments are held up to scrutiny. Too bad. This is "democracy," and it needs to be done, jbox (if indeed that is your real name).

I don't work for any candidate or campaign or union or PAC. I'm just a person who loves Sonoma County, a private citizen who thinks people should advance based on merit, work experience is valuable, promotion should be earned, and Supervisor is not an entry-level job.

Our representation should not be for sale to corporate interests like Syar Gravel mining, big developers, the Ratto Group, and Koenigshofer https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/62...ing?artslide=0 (please click the link and see what stale entities are paying for your 'fresh' candidate).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    I am going to call out "Mouse" as a troll or a shill for Noreen. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 08:35 AM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

23. TopTop #552
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Actually, we know that Noreen will not sell out the environment to any 'big nasty donors' because of her actual voting record. Experience matters.
    So then it is entirely possible to accept money from donors and not do their bidding. Right?

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #553
    KittyW

Great point Barry! If Noreen's track record shows that a candidate can accept money from donors and not do their bidding, the anti-Lynda camp loses a lot of steam.

So either Noreen sold out to her big, nasty donors, 10 years ago or it's possible for a candidate to accept money from donors and not do their bidding that is in conflict with her/constituent's values. Which is it?

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #554
    mouse

We know Noreen will vote to preserve the environment. Her record shows that.

We don't know what your candidate will do if elected, but here's what we do know:

--she accepts large gifts freely from anybody. Including her million dollar farm. (and $15,000.00 from Syar Gravel Mining alone.)

--her backers reside largely in the 4th district.

--She is willing to get dirty in an election, and spread a lot of manure.

--she has recommended expanded gravel mining as a form of River 'preservation.'

--Ratto and Koefensinger are desperate to get her elected (please read about them in the link below)

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/6...ing?artslide=0

So then it is entirely possible to accept money from donors and not do their bidding. Right?
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-30-2016 at 02:04 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #555
    jbox

Calling anyone who disagrees with you a "troll" and a "shill," ...
    Yes, that is exactly what scamperwillow said until she had to admit she worked for the campaign. I applaud her (eventual) honesty. As my neighbor Bob Hunter and a certain moderator wrote: "Please don't dominate the rap, Jack, if you got nothing new to say."

You just say the same old warmed over baloney over and over. Doesn't your candidate or her minions have anything substantive to say, rather than just attack her opponent? Give it a rest, capybara, or whatever your name is (india x?, lol).
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 08:36 AM.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #556

Just as it was with Efren Carrillo, a vote for Lynda Hopkins is a vote for the Bosco Boys (Koenigshofer and Bosco) to occupy the seat for 5th District Supervisor. Just as it was with Efren Carrillo. Except with pants.

32. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

33. TopTop #557
    scamperwillow

Barry! This is a different race. Local developers (and nonlocal winery owners) are pouring money into a local race where they want to extract local resources. The state legislature is a totally different thing. None of those donations have come to this campaign. Noreen's overwhelming support has always come from environmentalists, progressives and working people. Eric has cherry picked a few donations from a 10 year history in the state legislature to make her look bad. I am actually surprised that you are falling for it.

Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 08:36 AM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

35. TopTop #558
    fafner

Yes, Hopkins is Efron 2.0

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    Just as it was with Efren Carrillo, a vote for Lynda Hopkins is a vote for the Bosco Boys (Koenigshofer and Bosco) to occupy the seat for 5th District Supervisor. Just as it was with Efren Carrillo. Except with pants.

36. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

37. TopTop #559

Whoa, Barry! This has everything to do with fundraising. Particularly from big wine. I have personally spoken with pro-GMO winemakers who have donated significantly to the Hopkins cause. Hopkins has general contractors quoted on her website as supporting her. Her headquarters are situated in a realtor's office. This is ALL ABOUT fundraising and whose big money will be pulling the strings ala Bosco and Koenigshofer to place hotels and tasting rooms on our coast and clear cut redwood forests for vineyards. It's the way they do business; get the uninitiated - train them, then push their votes. It's what they did with Carrillo and it's what they're doing with Hopkins.

We are at a crucial stage in protecting our coast and greenways. Take a look at Napa-based Joe Wagner's recent effort to extend his empire to Sebastopol's Laguna de Santa Rosa. If he had his way, he'd plant over every inch of fertile, eco-sensitive land to sell his wine. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. But I digress.

Read the letter from John Balletto in the PD a couple weeks ago. He never once mentioned that he was a winemaker, only that he was a proud farmer worried about over-restrictions on his land. Those over-restrictions are protecting us and the place we call home. He's one of those winemakers who think because they've worked the fields all their lives, they need not be responsible for the affects their farming has on our county. He thinks he's entitled to do whatever he wants, wherever he wants. Why do you think most of Hopkins signs are situated in front of vineyards? It's not coincidence.

Hopkins may be well-intentioned, but there's a lot of special interests behind her campaign that I don't think she'll be able to ignore. You only have to look at the track record of Bosco and Koenigshofer to realize that.

Today, Saturday, I received four Hopkins mailers in my mailbox; that's a lot of money. One of them stated that she represents new leadership. Well, not with those guys backing you. It's just more of the same. And it's got nothing to do with us.

Sigh. So much for keeping the funding issue out of this thread.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-30-2016 at 01:54 PM.

38. Gratitude expressed by 15 members:

39. TopTop #560

Barry, you know better than this. In past campaigns Noreen was running for statewide office, in races against Republicans, when she was the standard bearer for the Democratic party. Candidates in such races have to raise large amounts of money, and the "big money" spread their bets all across the board. However the amounts she received from such sources was dwarfed by the amounts she recieved from left-oriented sources, and, while I have been unable to track down the records to prove the fact, I would be truly astonished if the big money people did not give much more money to her Republican opponents. This is the way they operate, especially at the state level, giving money to both sides in the race.

As a state senator she represented both the people and the businesses in her district. Where the interests of the two diverged, as a democrat who drew most of her support from left-oriented sources (and whose natural inclinations lean that way) she would naturally support the interests of the people. Where the interests of her business contributers did not conflict with those of the people there would be no problem about helping them out. It is a mistake to think that everything big businesses do is bad.

If you have specific examples of actions Noreen took when in the Assembly or the State Senate that sacrificed the interests of the people while favoring those of big business, then by all means list them.

Local county (supposedly non partisan) races are quite another thing. Many local hot button issues are about putting limits on the effects of large corporations on the local economy. The original funders of the Hopkins campaign, and by far the biggest spenders in either campaign, fall into the big business category, including business interests from New York with no obvious connection to Sonoma County. Without this support she would have had no hope of making any kind of splash in this election. Do you really think she will be able to withstand their pressure when it counts, knowing that failing to toe the line will result in all that support going to someone else when she is up for reelection? Do you really want to stake the future of the county on that bet? Remember, this is the swing vote on the BOS.

Patrick Brinton
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-30-2016 at 01:54 PM.

40. TopTop #561
    Sieglinde

Absolutely. I voted for Hopkins and was a tad shocked to read Monsanto but noted the token amount. An organization I belong to has a PAC. We give to candidates sympathetic to our cause. We use small amounts like that to remind them we are supporting them and possibly gain support to those who coiuld be sympathetic. For example, though I don't know if we have contributed or not, I would recomment that we contribute to both candidates for the Senate seat from California. I suspect since this was a very small amount that Monsanto was just trying to remind Evans that they were there. You would have to look at her voting record in regard to issues that Monsanto was interested in and then you cannot be sure because there are other more influential groups that probably have agreement with Monsanto. Farmers that use GMO products come to mind. If it was a huge amount of money, I would be concerned but I suspect that we don't have to worry about Evans or Hopkins doing Monsanto's bidding in this very liberal "organic" county.

Quote So then it is entirely possible to accept money from donors and not do their bidding. Right?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 01:24 PM.

41. Gratitude expressed by:

42. TopTop #562
    Sieglinde

As far as I know, I do live in Sebastopol, that the office building Hopkins has her space in has one or two Realtors in it but is largely leased as office space. So as far as I know her campaign is just renting office space.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    Whoa, Barry! This has everything to do with fundraising. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2016 at 01:25 PM.

43. TopTop #563
    KittyW

Press Democrat Strongly Supports Hopkins

Anyone read the Press Democrat this morning? This editorial really lays out the issues:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinio...why-we-support

PD Editorial: Why we support Lynda Hopkins in 5th District race
    BY THE EDITORIAL BOARD | October 30, 2016, 12:11AM

In our May 15 editorial concerning the all-important 5th District race for the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, we concluded that of the five candidates running, Lynda Hopkins offered the best opportunity “to move past the acrimonious political battles of yesteryear toward new and creative ways of addressing the prevailing needs of today.”

With just nine days remaining before the run-off between Noreen Evans and Hopkins is decided, nothing has dissuaded us from that position. On the contrary, given the negative campaigning that has occurred, we feel all the more certain that it’s time to move past these old us-vs.-them narratives.

Evans and her supporters would have voters believe Hopkins supports unchecked development and wants to inflict irreparable harm on the region’s landscape through gravel mining and vineyard expansion. Rubbish. When all is said and done, both candidates are progressive Democrats with little difference between them on such key issues as encouraging affordable housing, keeping winery events in check and protecting the environment.

Hopkins is smart, energetic and, as an organic farmer with two degrees in environmental science who has lived in the region for nine years, better represents the values of west county life than Evans, who moved to the district a mere 11 months to run for this seat.

There are multiple other reasons why Hopkins deserves the support and confidence of voters, but one should receive special consideration. In July, a county-appointed independent advisory committee presented to supervisors its long-awaited report on pensions, which found that despite a recovered economy and modest reforms at the state and local levels, the county’s pension problem “is not yet close to being solved” and threatens to get far worse.

Because of enhanced benefits that were retroactively awarded to public employees some 12 years ago — along with some spurious methods usually reserved for high-ranking officials to “spike” retirements — the county had to pony up $113 million for employee pensions last year, an amount that has increased 500 percent since 2000. The bottom line? The committee found that the pension issue has siphoned away $26 million each year on average from regular programs — money that could have been used for roads, parks, recreation programs, etc. — for the past 10 years. And if nothing is done, an additional $741 million will be required between now and 2030, an average of $53 million a year. As the report states, “To eliminate the county’s unfunded pension obligation, it would cost each person living in the county approximately $1,650.”

But Evans has shown through her words and actions that she does not regard this as a serious problem. She has compared it to a mortgage, something the pension committee directly refuted in its presentation to supervisors. She has shown further disregard with her risky proposal to use county pension funds to subsidize affordable housing projects, a move that could leave taxpayers holding the bag for an even greater share of pension costs if such a venture fails to meet investment goals. Keep in mind that the projected $741 million in additional pensions costs expected by 2030 is a best-case scenario. If investments take a dip, it will get worse.

But few should be surprised by this. As we’ve noted before, Evans, long supported by public employee unions, had a poor record as a state legislator when it came to helping local agencies with pension problems. In fact, she authored legislation that would have compounded the problem by enhancing benefits (but, thankfully, was forced to retreat after the public responded with outrage). And she supported a union-backed bill that made it harder for municipalities to seek help in bankruptcy court.

Frankly, she’s the wrong person at the wrong time.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:16 PM.

44. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

45. TopTop #564
    Jude Iam

Re: Press Democrat Strongly Supports Hopkins - BIG BUSINESS SUPPORTS ITS OWN

Kitty, What comes as no surprise at all is the PD's support of Lynda - her supporters are their advertisers.
    Big business (VINEYARDS, WINERIES, MINING, REAL ESTATE, ETC.) is what supports the Press Democrat (sic) - AND what it supports. You'll never read an article about fracking, or monoculture or anything FOR the earth or the 99% in the PD - you will find them in the Bohemian.

The hundreds of thousands of dollars for the mailers, signs, ads, calls, etc. will highly likely win 'cheesy farm waif' her (SWING VOTE) seat. And Sonoma County will continue being 'developed' like the rest of the planet, turned into money, bought and sold to the fewer and fewer richer and richer. Pension decisions can be changed; buildings built and land turned mine or vineyard do not go away. In case you haven't noticed (since you are fairly new here), many, many people are leaving - priced out. Lynda's ability to stay has been by the grace of her in-laws gifting a farm. Everyone should be so lucky. Jude
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:17 PM.

46. Gratitude expressed by 13 members:

47. TopTop #565
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from The Press Democrat, 10/30
    Letters to the editor:

For Evans, Yamada
    EDITOR: Currently serving my third four-year term as Petaluma mayor, I have worked closely with Noreen Evans as well as Mariko Yamada. I proudly endorse Evans for county supervisor and Yamada for state senator.
    As an Assembly member, Yamada was instrumental in assisting with state funding for our Old Redwood Highway project. She recognized the unsafe road conditions that existed and helped secure the funding for the needed improvements.
    While Evans was serving in Sacramento, she helped secure the financing for Petaluma’s wastewater treatment facility, saving our ratepayers tens of millions of dollars.
    Both Evans and Yamada have proven track records and accomplishments in serving the public interest. It is because of my personal work with each and knowledge of both that I offer them my enthusiastic endorsement.
    DAVID GLASS
    Petaluma
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.

48. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

49. TopTop #566
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Barry! This is a different race....
    You haven't answered my question?

Noreen accepted money from big nasty corporations.

Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:22 PM.

50. Gratitude expressed by:

51. TopTop #567
    scamperwillow

You haven't answered my question?

Noreen accepted money from big nasty corporations.

Not when it is the huge majority of your money and comes from local developers and wineries that can lobby you daily, show up at public hearings, take you to lunch, on and on. It will be relentless and all presented in such reasonable, logical terms.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:22 PM.

52. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

53. TopTop #568
    KittyW

Wow, that's some negative old-school future-casting. Is that what led Noreen to this pension mess -- lunches with public employee unions?

Not when it is the huge majority of your money and comes from local developers and wineries that can lobby you daily, show up at public hearings, take you to lunch, on and on....
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:23 PM.

54. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

55. TopTop #569
    applefan

Im just so sickened by the vitriol in Linda's mailers, even tho in theory she did not sponsor them but Erik K did.
    Putting Elizabeth Warren on the front page of one of them seemed so.....Trumpian. I am turned off.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:23 PM.

56. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

57. TopTop #570
    jbox

Not when it is the huge majority of your money and comes from local developers and wineries that can lobby you daily, show up at public hearings, take you to lunch, on and on. It will be relentless and all presented in such reasonable, logical terms.
    What more could I expect to hear from you, Marty? Except what you really mean to say is "If Lynda Hopkins wins the sky will surely fall." or "She will rape the land as quickly as she can, she has no choice." Isn't that what you are saying, Marty?

Same old warmed over baloney. What would your candidate do, except tax and spend while accomplishing her do nothing agenda?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:24 PM.

58. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: