Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #241

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race 2016: Noreen Evans vs Lynda Hopkins

Again. I find it really distasteful and offensive for people like Tom Lynch and others to keep attacking unions and accusing us of criminal behavior with no proof. It's even more insulting that they continue to do this all the while calling themselves victims of 'negative campaigning'. Bad behavior is not solely one campaign. as you can see from this screenshot of Hopkins' campaign manager Herman g where SEIU is attacked for 'gutter lefty politics" and ACCUSED OF CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR with not one iota of evidence. I would hope the moderator here would admonish that kind of attacks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    You would be wrong about the wink and nod, but its a great opportunity for Hopkins to exploit the very stupid thing someone is doing. Could be anyone including some hopkins zeolot. I hope Hopkins would not encourage fabricated stories. Lets move on, and maybe we can somehow catch the culprits who are defacing Hopkins and vandalizing and stealing Evans signs.
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand  
    Last edited by Barry; 10-07-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #242
    Goat Rock Ukulele

I hear what you are saying that if you make duplexes of the homes say in Bodega Bay people could live and work there and would create less traffic and greenhouse gasses. But the opposite is true, most people who will live in those duplexes are going to work and drive back and forth to jobs, schools, medical, shopping near the 101 corridor,.same as most people in the West County. Traffic rushes out of the West County in the morning and back in at night not the other way around. There is no way to control where people work. They work where they can get the highest compensation as they should. Most jobs are along the 101 corridor. This is why I favor providing housing along the 101 corridor or in areas with a clean shot to that corridor. Hey maybe even that smart train will get used someday if they adjust the fares.

Thank You for the compliment on my ukes.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    ...Michael,allowing homeowners in our rural villages, to repurpose an unused bedroom, for young people presently commuting through Sebastopol to work in Bodega Bay, would reduce traffic and green house gases, ...
    p.s. I love your ukulele’s !!!!

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #243

You should Google AFL-CIO Housing Investment Funds. Using working people's money to build workforce housing and provide a good local investment for pensions is not only a great idea but it has been done many times. The two 'respected professionals' are in fact Lynda Hopkins supporters and extremely ill-informed.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    ...Using the Sonoma County Employees Retirement Fund to fund to finance affordable/workforce housing was discredited in a PD column by two very respected professionals in housing and finance.

5. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

6. TopTop #244

Look at the large corporate wineries, Gravel Mining and real estate PACS and developers that have donated to Lynda Hopkins. This doesn't even include the Independent Expenditure Campaign by Eric Koenigshofer that will be sending out anti Evans direct mail this weekend. There is a lot of money to be made in turning the West County into Napa and Healdsburg. Of course the Sonoma Business Alliance and the Chamber of commerce and North Bay Real Estate PAC and Wineries are not stupid- they are packaging their candidate well as an 'organic progressive'. Just the same way they packaged Efren. But ask yourself why would Eric Koenigshofer (who was the lawyer/lobbyist pushing Preservation Ranch) support an environmentalist? This is greenwashing pure and simple and it's what corporate america does so well. Don't be fooled- even by those like Tom Lynch who are trying to push hate of unions (the ONLY people challenging the oligarchy right now- besides Bernie) and pension envy to help his corporate construction friends.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cpy0yvqfl...Date.xlsx?dl=0

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #245
    photolite

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santoshimatajaya: View Post
    would say
    there is such a thing as Unhealthy / Healthy; Toxic / Vibrant; Greed / Generous; Insecure / Secure; Poor / Wealthy; Negative / Positive Etc, and All the Shades InBetween. Different Strokes for Different Folks. . . . .
    Last edited by Barry; 10-07-2016 at 12:37 PM.

9. TopTop #246
    photolite

Richard, I'd be wrong, but for the previous poster providing a literal wink:

"As a reader of the twisty plots genre, it makes perfect sense during the heat of an electoral campaign that a Hopkins supporter would deface their own signs knowing this would be guilted onto Noreen. It's called "dirty tricks." "

and you provide the nod with your cynical insinuation that Lynda's people defaced her own signs. So do you also believe she called herself a "c**t" and sent herself a death threat?

And of course where would we be without the leader of the local public employees union reinforcing the stereotype by stating:

"They attack unions and workers as "thugs and vandals' who have defaced their signs" and "Tom Lynch and others to keep attacking unions and accusing us of criminal behavior"

I've been on this thread since at least two threads ago and so far this is the first I've heard of unions and workers being so characterized. And never have I seen them attacked by Tom Lynch.

Why so nasty, people?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    You would be wrong about the wink and nod, but its a great opportunity for Hopkins to exploit the very stupid thing someone is doing. Could be anyone including some hopkins zeolot. I hope Hopkins would not encourage fabricated stories. Lets move on, and maybe we can somehow catch the culprits who are defacing Hopkins and vandalizing and stealing Evans signs.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #247
    riverosprey

WHOAAAAA THERE LISA!!! Jesus, I know some have said you and I suffer from foot in mouth disease, but you take the cake … (justkidding ), but come on, I’m sure a lot of people are reading your diatribes and saying, “what a bunch of crap, SEIU needs to find someone to better represent the unions, young and old alike.”

I disagree, I think you do fine, but think you can lighten up a little and do even better. To continue to try to portray me as a "union hater", doesn't serve you, because there is no evidence to this and Fifth District voters aren't so stupid to believe your rhetoric. Your ads and Noreen's negative campaigning have cost her the election. We're tired of the half truths and histrionics, can't you just act like a rational human being and discuss real issues without name calling and slander?

Lisa, I respect your efforts but think sometimes in your passion, you miss the point, and unfairly portray others, simply wanting the first wave of retiring baby boomers such as yourself, who control the unions, to be fair to the older retiree’s (before Noreen’s 50% unfunded retroactive pension increase in 2003), or the next generation post PEPRA (whichNoreen voted for), with their retirement at 62 with 50% less, which they will never see because the system is destined for insolvency (sorry-sorry-sorry Barry ).

Let’s face it Lisa, the next generation of union members have their future compromised, and you rightfully feel bad about this, and in turn overcompensate with these Trumpish, sophomoric insults, trying to portray others efforts, trying to make the system fairer for older and younger union members and sustainable, “as an attack on unions’. Nothing could be further from the truth Lisa, and you know this.

How about an honest forum that you and I host? I challenge you and your fellow boomers controlling SEIU, to a forum where I bring SEIU friends who retired before Noreen approved the unfunded 50% pension increase, and SEIU friends hired after Noreen voted to reduce their pensions by 50%, to discuss how grossly unfair the new tiers and old tiers are being treated? And how these unfunded benefits to boomers, are responsible for massive cuts in services, increased tuitions, and the demise of all the things Sonoma County once provided for generations but no more.

Lisa, what do you think? ...we'll have Barry or Vesta or whomever you like, oversee a "Forum on the Future"? If you really believe I'm a union hater then let's resolve this in a public forum. Instead of all the nasty rhetoric and guilt by association campaign, that is losing Noreen the election (do you really think West County voters are swayed by this?). Would you participate in a public forum to debate the future and how our kids have been put on the hook to pay for the boomers benefits? The issue is called Intergenerational Equity...let's have a forum. What do you think :) ?

respect and kind regards,

Tom Lynch

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    Again. I find it really distasteful and offensive for people like Tom Lynch and others to keep attacking unions and accusing us of criminal behavior with no proof. It's even more insulting that they continue to do this all the while calling themselves victims of 'negative campaigning'. Bad behavior is not solely one campaign. as you can see from this screenshot of Hopkins' campaign manager Herman g where SEIU is attacked for 'gutter lefty politics" and ACCUSED OF CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR with not one iota of evidence. I would hope the moderator here would admonish that kind of attacks.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-07-2016 at 01:57 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #248

I don't understand (and frankly i don't think you do either) your repeated word salad about "baby boomers' running unions ( Indeed, our union SEIU1021 is currently "run" by our members many of whom are "millennials"- including our Executive Director and Political Director.) I find your manner and words, condescending and offensive- replete with mansplaining about a subject that I am well versed in (i grew up working class and have been fighting for working class issues and in the labor movement for the past twenty years) I really think that you are ill suited to lecture me on the subject just because you are a white man and I am a Mexican woman. Perhaps you could check your privilege and stop telling me how unions and pensions work since you have no real expertise in either of them. Your patronizing tone oozes smugness and superiority and I am quite done being lectured by someone about my response and told it is incorrect and you know better. I posted the screen shot of anti union remarks on Lynda Hopkins campaign director's page because i knew you would continue to argue with me about my own experience and tell me that you know better and I am wrong. For this same reason I must decline your 'offer' to work on a forum or to receive your 'kind regards'. I don't think either of them are sincere.

WHOAAAAA THERE LISA!!! Jesus, I know some have said you and I suffer from foot in mouth disease, but you take the cake … (justkidding ), but come on, I’m sure a lot of people are reading your diatribes and saying, “what a bunch of crap, SEIU needs to find someone to better represent the unions, young and old alike.” ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-07-2016 at 11:31 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

15. TopTop #249
    rossmen

Are you a troll? No. Because you have responsibility, so, respond to me, lisa Maldonado. You read like one, boring and repetitive. Your born sex and history, so what, you're here and see, what interested parties write to you, ignore, and you are the fool.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    I find your manner and words, condescending and offensive- replete with mansplaining about a subject that I am well versed... I really think that you are ill suited to lecture me on the subject just because you are a white man and I am a Mexican woman. Perhaps you could check your privilege and stop telling me how unions and pensions work since you have no real expertise in either of them. Your patronizing tone oozes smugness and superiority and I am quite done being lectured by someone about my response and told it is incorrect and you know better....or to receive your 'kind regards'. I don't think either of them are sincere.

16. TopTop #250
    1104GT

To get back to Barry's question regarding undecided voters impressions of the forum videos, I watched most of them and have heard the candidates speak on other occasions. While I am not totally decided, I am leaning towards Lynda Hopkins. She speaks with energy, enthusiasm and seems to have ideas. She has history in this district and I have trouble thinking she would do anything to negatively affect the quality of life here or her livelihood. Noreen speaks and responds like a politician, citing policy, past experience and regulations. Maybe that's just what happens when you've worked in politics as long as she has. I am also not convinced that Noreen has a sincere interest in the West County. She doesn't have any skin in this game.

There has been many comments regarding the supporters of both candidates. If all candidates are solely beholden to their supporters, then that has to work both ways. If that's the case, neither will represent us. Perhaps I am naive, but I tend to think that there is no evil plot brewing on either side. I think people are supported by their friends and business associates.

Noreen, coming from the political world, is supported by friends and lobbying organizations that establish relationships with politicians. Lynda, coming from the agricultural community, is supported by others in that business. At some point, we need to take people at their word and hope for the best.

Again, I feel like, Lynda has voiced genuine interest and enthusiasm about doing positive things for our district. She has made her life here, her family is here, and she has an interest in maintaining the rural and agricultural heritage of the area. Noreen lacks that. Lynda's housing ideas seem to make sense as opposed the Noreen's idea of investing retirement funds in housing. Government has a long history of mismanaging money, so if that was MY retirement fund, I would never support that type of proposal. At the end of the day, I prefer housing to be built in towns, not in unincorporated areas anyway. I also like Lynda's willingness to address the unfunded retirement liability the county has created for itself. Again, government mismanagement of finances. Noreen doesn't seem to want to wade into those waters, but the issue needs to be dealt with or we will continue to get fewer County services as retirement costs explode.

The saddest part of this thread is how we always create polarizing and opposing positions at the extremes. Why are we always labelling people as the embodiments of evil or the harbingers of the end of the world as we know it? Can we please stop all that and the name calling that goes with it? I don't believe either of these candidates will signal the end of the world for the West County. I do believe the County is changing and our elected officials can help steer that change in a positive direction and I believe that both Noreen and Lynda will do what they think is best. For me, I prefer Lynda's thoughts on what is best.

I look forward to some more reasonable commentary.

Ted

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #251
    Roberta Llewellyn

Thank you Ted for your well-thought out and well-written response to the myriad comments of disparagement. Comments that appeared at times to lose the thread of reasonableness in seeing the candidates qualities for serving this county in it's depicting of either as medusa about to ensnare all of us into a bottomless pit.

It was truly refreshing to read your post with it's authentic analysis and caveat of reasoned clarity. I agree with everything you wrote and came to the same conclusion. Especially after viewing both candidates who each have something valuable to offer. Aren't we lucky, was my initial thinking, to have two exceptionally qualified women running for supervisor? I am nonetheless, like you, drawn to Lynda for her energy, innovative ideas, and her genuine interest in the outcome of germane issues impacting those who have made this place home, as Lynda has for some time.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 1104GT: View Post
    To get back to Barry's question regarding undecided voter's impressions of the forum videos, I watched most of them and have heard the candidates speak on other occasions. While I am not totally decided, I am leaning towards Lynda Hopkins. She speaks with energy, enthusiasm and seems to have ideas. ...

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #252
    riverosprey

Roseland Debate video:

Vesta Copestakes My favorite quote from the video is from Nancy Polosi - inLynda Hopkins' opening statement...“Our values unify us, I see myself as a weaver, weaving together all of the diverse fibers in our society. We are only strong if we respect the differences between us.” That certainly applies during this election. And political activist John Lewis “We are one people, one family, living in the same house.”

https://vimeo.com/185985502

Run Lynda Run!!

21. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

22. TopTop #253
    rossmen

How dirty are the tricks you belive in! 1%= 99%+. The signs are still there. Lets all participate in change. What would you add to communal communication about our electorial choice, maybe i did it to facilitate intelligence vs road signs, i wish i had the time...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    As a reader of the twisty plots genre, it makes perfect sense during the heat of an electoral campaign that a Hopkins supporter would deface their own signs knowing this would be guilted onto Noreen. It's called "dirty tricks."

23. TopTop #254
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from The Press Democrat, 10/8:

Audacity of housing

EDITOR: When I read the Close to Home column about Noreen Evans’ housing strategy, which would direct investment from our county pension fund into local housing projects, I was struck by the audacity of that concept (“Three steps to addressing our housing crisis,” Sunday). Investing retirement funds locally takes a potential liability and turns it into an incredible asset. I think future generations would be well served by this type of ingenuity that Evans brings, and I urge you to vote for an experienced and thoughtful public servant like Evans this November.

STEPHEN HARPER
    Santa Rosa
    Last edited by Barry; 10-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

25. TopTop #255
    tommy

Tom,
    Your continuous harangue of Noreen around Pension benefits is not truthful. Please see the link to the 7/27/12 PD article below:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2303487-181/guest-opinion-not-all-county

It's easy to make untruthful charges with nothing to back up the statements - one of the nominees running for President does it all the time. The article states that the increase in pension costs is largely due to the increasing no of mangers (and fewer employees under each mgr) who draw higher pensions. Reducing managers would bring down pension costs. Noreen worked on state pension reform as a state legislator, and in 2012 voted for the law that created a new lower benefit tier for public employees.

See:
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5...e-with-pension

I get it that you're against unions. Unions are responsible for the gains in earnings and benefits that have accrued to the middle class - to union members and non union members, as companies thru the years gave salary increases across the board, to all employees, not just union members. These are incontestable facts. Your position against unions is an argument for the 1%. It's about class: do we want to have a middle class (supported by unions), or a society ruled by the 1% with everyone else eating the leftover crumbs.
    WHOAAAAA THERE LISA!!! Jesus, I know some have said you and I suffer from foot in mouth disease, but you take the cake
    Last edited by Barry; 10-08-2016 at 05:34 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

27. TopTop #256
    Dan Gurney

I agree with Ted—strongly—that civility on both sides of the 5th District would benefit all of us in West County.

One of them, Noreen or Lynda, is going to win, and all of us are going to need to work with whomever is elected. So toning it down is a good idea and the smart way to go.

Unlike Ted, though, I do not lean towards the Hopkins candidacy for two main reasons: First Lynda has received endorsements and support from people who extract West County's natural and human resources. Noreen's record indicates that she would work to protect those resources for the benefit of all.

Second: It is indisputable that Lynda has almost no political record to substantiate her claims as to whose interests she would serve. NONE. We're left with words, promises. She is a beginner who is running for the most powerful political post in Sonoma County.

Why even my friend and neighbor Ted—who wrote the piece I am responding to—serves on Sebastopol's Design Review Board, and, because of that service has more of an in-office political record than Ms. Hopkins has. Unlike Ted, I am convinced Noreen does have skin in the game and that she holds West County dear to her heart. (In Sacramento, Noreen DID represent us—it is simply not true that she is a newcomer to West Sonoma County politics. That's a fact.)

As a final note, I think it is helpful to consider that Lynda's "New Deal" might be ephemeral. The money backing Lynda's campaign is nearly identical to the money that put Carrillo in office. The same groups of people who supported Carrillo are now supporting Hopkins. Eerily, Hopkins resembles Carrillo: young, newly-minted and coming into politics with no actual office-holding record to examine. You must depend upon her word.....

Hopkins could easily be Carrillo's third term—minus, yes, for sure, the fisticuffs in San Diego and late night escapades in West Santa Rosa.

If you liked Carrillo's vote on Dutra Asphalt, if you liked his vote to extend Syar's gravel-mining permit in our precious and fragile river for 15 years (instead of a 5 year extension), if you liked his vote on the now-defunct Best Winery site, you'll likely be happy to be with Lynda.

Please consider, though, that there is a reason Lynda has attracted so much money from resource extractors and that reason it is not because she raises organic carrots. She's got their support, I think, because she can sound so good to us on the campaign trail, and get elected. (And she most probably will not have the troubles her predecessor had to struggle through.)

I would love to be wrong about Lynda. (And, should she be elected I certainly hope I AM wrong.)

We can all agree: Lynda looks good. Lynda sounds good. Lynda is new. Lynda has ideas. Lynda is unproven. Lynda has the support of business interests.

But I implore you: vote for Noreen in November. Let's give Lynda time to show who she is in the Minor Leagues, say on the Planning Commission.

Lynda is young, smart, and articulate. What's our hurry?

We've got a Madison Bumgarner-type candidate in Noreen. Noreen is tested. Noreen is proven. She's a known quantity. She'll work for us.

This is 2016, and yes, it is the post-season even here in West County.

Go Giants!
    Go Noreen!
    Dan
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by 1104GT: View Post
    ...The saddest part of this thread is how we always create polarizing and opposing positions at the extremes. Why are we always labelling people as the embodiments of evil or the harbingers of the end of the world as we know it? Can we please stop all that and the name calling that goes with it?...

28. TopTop #257
    1104GT

Dan,

Thanks for the response and well articulated argument. This is the kind of discussion that makes people like me, who are somewhat on the fence, think a little more and carefully consider their position. I really appreciate your perspective and look forward to reading more thoughtful discussion and opinion from others in this thread.

Ted
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dan Gurney: View Post
    I agree with Ted—strongly—that civility on both sides of the 5th District would benefit all of us in West County. ...

29. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

30. TopTop #258
    luke32

An interesting letter from this week's Sonoma West:

Empty chair

EDITOR: I attended a Fifth District candidate forum in Monte Rio and asked one of the first questions of Candidate Evans why she had attended only one Coastal Conservancy meeting during her four years representing us on that powerful board. She responded that she was so busy representing us in Sacramento. Hmm, I had to wonder why she didn’t let another, more interested politician have that position.
 Then I went back to the records. Not only did she miss 96 percent of the meetings, which included three phone conference meetings, she also missed meetings held in Sacramento. Finally, when Sonoma County and the Sonoma Land Trust made their record-breaking request for $10 million dollars to permanently protect Preservation Ranch, an incredibly important and large acquisition which protects coastal forestland, where was she? Absent!

I’ve lived in the Fifth District for over 14 years. Our district is very large and widespread, with diverse needs. We need a supervisor with a strong work ethic who is committed to the heavy lifting and long hours required to properly represent our underserved needs. My vote goes to Lynda Hopkins. She will show up

Paul Leland
    Monte Rio

31. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

32. TopTop #259
    Icssoma

haven't been on wacco for a week--busy!
    these kind of interactions make me want to not be here. perhaps you might want to deal privately, or let it go. if we can't do better here, in our own backyards, how can we expect nations & countries to succeed?
    i know what it is like to be on the outside here, on many fronts, for many years.
    (took me a bit to come out as an early hillary clinton supporter--the only one! at the time.)
    we have to be courageous & caring, & lift each other up.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Are you a troll? No. Because you have responsibility, so, respond to me, lisa Maldonado. You read like one, boring and repetitive. Your born sex and history, so what, you're here and see, what interested parties write to you, ignore, and you are the fool.

33. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

34. TopTop #260
    Ken Sund

...But I implore you: vote for Noreen in November. Let's give Lynda time to show who she is in the Minor Leagues, say on the Planning Commission. ...
    Dan- Great points you made. I only disagree with one. She should not get on a planning commission.
    Look at what Tom Lynch did with his appointment to the planning commission.
    And Go Hillary!
    Ken Sund.

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #261
    Icssoma

this is the type of post that moves us forward, easier to read. lots of room for a response from a Hopkins supporter as well. thanks for the thoughtful post, & the orange & black reference.
    fun to remember there are a handful of us in west county that love pro sports!

I agree with Ted—strongly—that civility on both sides of the 5th District would benefit all of us in West County.

One of them, Noreen or Lynda, is going to win, and all of us are going to need to work with whomever is ...

37. Gratitude expressed by:

38. TopTop #262
    rossmen

If you have issues with something lynch has done on the planning commission name it. Please educate us with specific knowledge so we can be better citizens : )

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ken Sund: View Post
    Dan- Great points you made. I only disagree with one. She should not get on a planning commission.
    Look at what Tom Lynch did with his appointment to the planning commission....

39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

40. TopTop #263
    rossmen

Have no desire to offend you. But lisa? Seems like the only way to get through. She is the biggest player now on wacco writing about the 5th district supervisor choice. I trust she has way more info than you or me. Why is the seiu so in for evans? My guess is that it is about the long term labor goal for tighter contract labor aggreements, not the no growth cred lisa continuously cites for noreen. So yes i am tring to get more honesty from the most informed person on this thread.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Icssoma: View Post
    haven't been on wacco for a week--busy!
    these kind of interactions make me want to not be here. perhaps you might want to deal privately, or let it go. if we can't do better here, in our own backyards, how can we expect nations & countries to succeed?
    i know what it is like to be on the outside here, on many fronts, for many years.
    (took me a bit to come out as an early hillary clinton supporter--the only one! at the time.)
    we have to be courageous & caring, & lift each other up.

41. TopTop #264
    rossmen

Ok dan, lets write about gravel. You disagree with Efren's vote? 15 instead of 5? Could you give more detail? The truth is that the lower rr is choked by sediment load due to human insanity and only a discussion which includes instream mitigation, happening right now on fife creek, has any hope of improving river permaculture. Hopkins might be able to get it, evans and her supporters have yet to demonstrate such ability.

..., if you liked his vote to extend Syar's gravel-mining permit in our precious and fragile river for 15 years (instead of a 5 year extension), ...

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #265
    rossmen

Tommy just because someone writes about public pension obligations doesn't mean they are against unions. Yes the county cost for pensions is spiked by managers and public safety, not seiu. Just what tom and your first cite agree on. The question is where to go from here, and toms analysis of here is spot on. Which candidate for 5th is willing to to talk about where to go?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    Tom,
    Your continuous harangue of Noreen around Pension benefits is not truthful. Please see the link to the 7/27/12 PD article below:
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2...not-all-county...

44. Gratitude expressed by:

45. TopTop #266
    riverosprey

Hi Ken,

I have told Lynda this is my last year on the Planning Commission (eight years come January :).

Ken, what have I done on the Planning Commission that you are unhappy with? What did "Tom Lynch did with his appointment" that you're not satisfied with?

Thank you Ken, for all you've done to protect the Coast and Native Americans.

Tom Lynch

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ken Sund: View Post
    Look at what Tom Lynch did with his appointment to the planning commission.
    And Go Hillary!
    Ken Sund.

46. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

47. TopTop #267
    beshiva

Hi Ken,

I have told Lynda this is my last year on the Planning Commission (eight years come January :)....
    Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back

48. Gratitude expressed by:

49. TopTop #268
    Goat Rock Ukulele

A thing that really troubles me that I have heard several times from Hopkins supporters is that there is this inevitable "wave" of population that will hit the West County and there isn't anything we can do about it so we need someone who will make the best of it. I have lived in the west county for more than 40 years. The general plan adopted by the county decades and decades ago has always been to limit growth in West County, The Sonoma Mountains, areas West of Petaluma etc and to preserve green belts between towns. I reject the idea that large waves of population should be settled anywhere in the county other than what the general plan calls for along the 101 corridor. A Sebastopol bypass will kill a hell of a lot of critters who thrive along the Laguna and there will be one hell of a fight when they go to build it. And when it does finally get built if we dramaticly increase the population of West County businesses in Sebastopol will be crying and going out of business for couple of decades just like merchants in Cloverdale.

Ernie Carpenter was a very good stewart of the West County during his time as Supervisor. Lucy Kortum wife of Bill Kortum has been a life long environmentalist. Maybe some of you have walked the Kortum trail on the costal headlands. They both support Evans and that is pretty good company.

50. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

51. TopTop #269
    riverosprey

Hi Tommy,
    Welcome back to “The Thread” J…I’m assuming that your comment rejoining the conversation, as a “Barry’s Pick”,allows me to revisit the issue of unfunded pension obligations, for the retiring baby boomers, that is destroying all of the essential services once provided for generations in Sonoma County.

Tommy, I’m not anti-union…I was a union member of the United Food and Commercial Workers union in Spencer Iowa, when the management destroyed the best paying jobs in my community in 1978. I used to rent an apartment from legendary labor union organizer and IWW Wobbly Joe “One Punch” Murphy and wife Doris in Occidental. As an elected member of the Russian River Redevelopment Oversight Committee, I approved $Millions for prevailing wage jobs, creating affordable housing on the Lower Russian River.

My problem with Noreen Evans, is she’s the last of a generation of self-serving politicians, that gave the first wave of retiring baby boomers, massive unfunded retroactive retirement benefits, without funding them. So now our retiring teachers, firemen, police officers, and public servants, have to rely upon our children and grandchildren to fund these retirements, with increased taxes, fees, and major cuts in services.

The 1000’s of Sonoma County and City of Santa Rosa workers who retired before Noreen Evans voted for the retroactive increase in 2003, got nothing. The next generations of public servants, under PEPRA that Noreen supported, see their pensions reduced by 50% , along with reduced salaries and benefits, in order to fund the retirement benefits of the retiring boomers, who control the unions, the management and most elected officials. And will never see a dime in retirement as we are destined to an inevitable insolvency.

I have spent years, thousands of hours, and ran for office four times to use the electoral forum as a forum, to sound the alarm of the Malthusian meltdown ahead. It is not my style to hold back or mollycoddle those that don’t understand. I try to be diplomatic.

I am not anti-union Tommy, the rest of my life is dedicated to the struggle for “Intergenerational Equity”. The belief that one generation (my generation, the boomers), cannot obligate the next generations, with paying for massive unfunded obligations, at the expense of our children and grandchildren (and ourselves!).

Noreen Evans voted for a benefit for our public servants, without paying for it. She has no plan, zero, nada, nothing, to solve the problem. She has a 100% voting record for the first wave of retiring baby boomers, with no clue, no concept, no plan, to stop the loss of all these services that I, as a progressive Democrat support to take care of the least of thee among us.

MY VOTE IS FOR LYNDA HOPKINS…I DO LIKE WHAT SHE DOES…WE CANNOT CONTINUE THE SAME OLD SAME OLD WITH NOREEN EVANS!!!!

Respect and kind regards, Tom Lynch

Tom,
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2...not-all-county....

52. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

53. TopTop #270
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Tom,

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2...not-all-county...
    I want to point out that the article referenced above was a guest opinion piece in the PD and was written by an SEIU member:

"(Earl Gwynne, a staff member with Service Employees International Union Local 1021, is a Sonoma County retiree who formerly owned Revelation Natural Foods Restaurant in Santa Rosa for 16 years. He lives in Healdsburg.)"

Furthermore it does not address Tom Lynch's claim "retroactive [pension] increase in 2003" that Noreen supported.

54. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: