Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #511
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race 2016: Noreen Evans vs Lynda Hopkins

Hopkins also has the "No no Noreen" ad on accuweather.com. They've just got more money than they know what to do with. Such a turn off. And I think more people are turning to Go Go Noreen because of it.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #512
    jbox

Lynda Hopkins from the start tried to run a positive, issues oriented campaign. She is bright, young, thinks outside the box, and has some really great ideas like community service districts and having TOT tax go to the district it is derived from. Evans thinks these are bad ideas, just let her run the district as she sees fit and don't worry your pretty little heads about it.

Noreen Evans has from the start waged a negative campaign against Hopkins claiming contributions will influence her voting. Hopkins wants to win the election, she will take the $$ but has maintained she will be an independent vote. I believe her and will hold her to that pledge. Noreen is a vote no on everything, no change, no progress, but tax the be-jesus out of you whenever possible. She wants to use the TOT tax in part for pension deficits - EXCUSE ME!!! She wants to tax the be-jesus out of legal pot to fix roads, sounds like big pharma karma. Well what happened to the basic social contract where roads were the first thing tax dollars paid for? Anyway, Hopkins finally had enough of the slurs by the Evans campaign and made the "bullshit" video. And it was about time. enough is enough!

I don't like Eric the K's mailers but it is no different than the SEIU hit pieces mailed on Noreen's behalf or Noreen's own negative hit pieces. Now Noreen's apologists get their undies in a wad over this? What I wish is for Noreen to put forth some good ideas about governance, but I don't think she has it in her at this point in her career. She just wants a cushy job, a company car and a nice pension, things the state couldn't give her.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #513
    mouse

If one candidate is responsible for her 'supporters' statements,' then both are. You can't set a double standard for the "young." It really bothers me that "new" and "young" and "fresh" and "outside the box" are your chosen buzzwords for inexperience. Your candidate is not particularly young anyway, and you have shared not one 'fresh idea' here.

You love your farmgirl. Super. But you may want to stop with the ageism masquerading as something new...your candidates backers are not new to this county at all.

Ratto and Koefsin...are nothing but old school politics, in search of a local tool.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Lynda Hopkins from the start tried to run a positive, issues oriented campaign. She is bright, young, thinks outside the box, and has some really great ideas...

6. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

7. TopTop #514
    Roberta Llewellyn

Such a refreshing post; simple, straight forward, crisp with no hidden agenda...I'm in with Lynda. I agree to give her a chance to be trusted, why not? She comes across with genuine focus and intelligence. I love being interactive with her. I've checked out her background and it sparkles with integrity.
    Lynda Hopkins from the start tried to run a positive, issues oriented campaign. She is bright, young, thinks outside the box, and has some really great ideas ....

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #515
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mouse: View Post
    If one candidate is responsible for her 'supporters' statements,' then both are. You can't set a double standard for the "young....
    Actually, had you read my post you would have seen two fresh ideas that Hopkins put forth. Perhaps a larger world view is in order for you, a possum or rabbit view perhaps, forget the mouse perspective.

Don't get offended now, just attempting a lil' levity!

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #516
    photolite

Or perhaps being indebted to organized labor at the expense of much needed county services fits your definition as well. I'm with Lynda.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Integrity is NOT having backers who are in themselves the causes of the afflictions of growth. I'm with Noreen.

Dian Hardy

12. TopTop #517
    photolite

We all seem to have a defining issue that motivates us. Lynda's supporters seem most concerned about Noreen's being beholden to big labor at the expense of the rest of us.
    Noreen's supporters seem most concerned with Lynda being beholden to development interests.
    Both concerns are valid, of course, but Noreen has actively demonstrated her willingness to serve that base of support, having been empowered to do so through various offices held. Lynda lacks the advantage of that experience, but also lacks the baggage. We really can never know her heart unless she prevails in this contest.

13. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

14. TopTop #518
    mouse

According to your post, redistribution of tax revenue and the creation of committees that will put distance between our representative and her decisions are "fresh" ideas? Sorry, but creating more bureaucracy and earmarking tax revenues for your friends are not only bad ideas, but they are old political tricks that abuse representative democracy.

I'm especially annoyed by her suggestion that she'd like to hand over responsibility for her decisions to yet another committee. Rather than doing the job and making decisions and taking responsibility for those decisions, she wants to pass it down the line. So, when she votes to serve the developers who paid for her seat on the board, I imagine she'll claim that those decisions to expand gravel mining were made by the electorate? Nice try, but no thanks.

Also, pretending that there is not insult in your post by calling it "levity" is just the kind of bull that your candidate brings to the table. At least own your attempted condescension.

Actually, had you read my post you would have seen two fresh ideas that Hopkins put forth. ...

15. TopTop #519
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mouse: View Post
    According to your post, ...
    And how is giving the citizenry a larger role in self determination in unincorporated areas, and keeping the tax revenue derived in the district working for that district an "abuse of representative democracy"? And how is that "handing over her responsibilities"? And how is that an "old political trick"? So we're supposed to give Noreen license to use TOT revenues to pay down unfunded pension obligations that Noreen helped create?

I'm smelling a rat.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-27-2016 at 09:26 AM.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #520
    mouse

Environmentalists vote for Noreen Evans.

If you had read my entire post, you may have picked up on the manner in which I expect your candidate to shirk responsibility for making decisions on behalf of her handlers that will damage the river, the water table, the open space, by using committees as a buffer.

You may also have picked up on my belief that taxes are collected by government to be utilized for the common good, not just the good of the wealthy who own the means of production and fund political campaigns.

I've already voted against the Syar Gravel Mining, Big developer, thirsty Ratto Group's farm waif, in favor of environmental conservation and the thoughtful leadership of Noreen, so we're probably okay agreeing to disagree at this point.

And how is giving the citizenry a larger role in self determination ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-27-2016 at 09:27 AM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #521
    Barbara Harris

Lynda, I hope that you aware that ads for voting "No for Noreen" are now popping up on many websites.

This is a disruptive and unacceptable form of campaign efforts on your part.
    It feels like an invasion of privacy, especially during these challenging times of online hacking and invasions of privacy. It feels like it is more about winning than serving the community.

I am very disappointed in this tactic, which also verifies your inability to lead.

Barbara A. Harris
    Sebastopol

20. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

21. TopTop #522
    Glia

Only old people and Luddites are turned off by Internet advertising. Obama's campaign used this channel. Was that an issue?

Young and/or technically savvy folks are accustomed to Internet advertising. They are favorably impressed with someone who has the intellectual chops to use this effective, low-to-moderate-cost method. In addition, it is much more environmentally astute than printing and delivering all those mailers which just add to the waste stream.

BTW, if someone is paying $10/click, they are paying far too much. They should be able to reach their target demographic for around $0.25/click.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sambacat: View Post
    Hopkins also has the "No no Noreen" ad on accuweather.com. They've just got more money than they know what to do with. Such a turn off. And I think more people are turning to Go Go Noreen because of it.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #523
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Only old people and Luddites are turned off by Internet advertising. ...
    for national or regional campaigns (political or advertising) it's not jarring. I find it jarring when it's a local ad embedded in something that's not associated with this area (on PressDemo's site, or on a page of search results for local tire stores, maybe not such a problem). Plus, the negativity of "NO NO" is jarring too.
    so you kids, keep them off my lawn.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-27-2016 at 09:28 AM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

25. TopTop #524
    mouse

I see now it's usually from $00.25 to $5.00 per click depending...thanks.

Saying that 'only old people and Luddites' dislike the ads though. Pretty rude, but typical of the 'fresh faced' in this race. I'm neither and I can't stand those ads.

And anybody with the ability to google can create one of those lame ads--it's not so techlicious. She's not saving any trees by using the internet. Her paper mailers are even worse, and they just keep coming...

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #525
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Well, it's understandable in a presidential campaign. What I object to is the unprecedented amount of money going into a county supervisor's campaign -- $163,000 raised by just 9 Hopkins' supporters in the last 3 weeks! And, BTW, I am also receiving 2 Hopkins' mailers per day to 1 for Evans per week. So, your environmental argument doesn't apply to Hopkins. This race is a decision of whether your vision of Sonoma County's future is the same as the 1% which are investing in our local race.

28. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

29. TopTop #526
    Sieglinde

I have voted already but this is the sort of thing that can cause those who haven't voted to change their vote.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barbara Harris: View Post
    Lynda, I hope that you aware that ads for voting "No for Noreen" are now popping up on many websites....

30. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

31. TopTop #527
    kane

Agreed, the volume alone of the Hopkins mailers have swayed my vote away from Lynda...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sambacat: View Post
    ... And, BTW, I am also receiving 2 Hopkins' mailers per day to 1 for Evans per week. So, your environmental argument doesn't apply to Hopkins. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-28-2016 at 08:17 AM.

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #528
    photolite

Today's PD

Using Trump
    EDITOR: I find it interesting that Ernie Carpenter by inference has raised the specter of Donald Trump and interjected him into the 5th District race for supervisor (“Follow the money,” Letters, Monday). Has Trump become an authority on campaign contributions? Apparently Carpenter thinks so. He equates Lynda Hopkins’ contributions to some Trump-like conspiracy to deny the district’s true environmentalist her rightful seat on the Board of Supervisors.
    Poor Carpenter. He just doesn’t get it. His candidate votes for the environment. Hopkins lives in the environment. His candidate likes to fight. Hopkins likes to facilitate. His candidate lives in the past. Hopkins lives in the present and works for a better future.
    Finally, I’m stuck by his plaintive plea to please vote for his candidate. I guess Carpenter believes she is the only one who can fix it. So, is it she who will make the 5th District great again?
    JOHN McHUGH
    Santa Rosa

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kane: View Post
    Agreed, the volume alone of the Hopkins mailers have swayed my vote away from Lynda...

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #529
    Dorothy Friberg

I take issue with the blanket statement "only old people and luddites", because I think they have a better voting history than your target population, tecchies. And this voter hates garbage ads in her e-mail.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Only old people and Luddites are turned off by Internet advertising. Obama's campaign used this channel. Was that an issue? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 06:33 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #530
    Shepherd

I agree with Dorothy. I think the techno-industrial complex is the main threat to the Earth. What are the techno addicts going to do if the internet goes down, which is possible? The fastest computers have always been at the Pentagon and drive modern warfare, being responsible for killing millions and scorching the Earth, thus contributing to chaotic climate change. We have lost our privacy.

Farmers used to have the highest life expectancy of any vocation. Then chemical farming came in, after World War II, using chemicals used originally as weapons. Conventional farmers who use chemicals no longer have as high a life expectancy. At 72-years-old, I do not appreciate the agism of this original email.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post
    I take issue with the blanket statement "only old people and luddites", because I think they have a better voting history than your target population, tecchies. And this voter hates garbage ads in her e-mail.

38. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

39. TopTop #531

Hopkins signs...

It may very well be that Lynda Hopkins, in her heart of hearts, would like nothing more than to "protect our coast" as it states on one of those little yellow add-ons to her signs. But the big money behind her suggests another reality. Doug Bosco and Eric Koenigshofer are two political manipulators who have both waged war on our coasts and ancient redwood forests and are major league fundraisers for the outside money that is fueling the Hopkins effort. I get two or three Hopkins mailers a DAY! Who do you think is paying for that? Big wine and real estate developers who have our coastline in their sights for hotels and tasting rooms through a Super Pac formed by Koenigshofer, that's who. It is my opinion, based on the research I've done (and I recommend others do the same before voting) that the big money that wants Hopkins in that 5th District Supes seat will have it's way with our coasts, forests and natural habitats if Hopkins wins. They did it with Efren Carrillo (think Dutra Asphalt factory), they'll do it with Hopkins. See for yourself. Click the link below:

https://www.bohemian.com/northbay/em...nt?oid=2320906
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 06:23 PM.

40. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

41. TopTop #532
    scamperwillow

Re: Hopkins signs...

If you want to know who is paying for it, it is all public knowledge.

Here is a web site that reveals the big money that is paying for the hit pieces by Eric Koenigshofer - more than $170,000!
    https://5thdistricttruefacts.com

Here are the donors to Hopkins campaign:
    https://www.noreenforsupervisor.com/hopkins_donors

And for comparison, here are the donors to Noreen's campaign

And by the way, that deceptive mailer that was sent yesterday contained contributions to Noreen's Assembly and Senate campaigns 10 or so years ago. Not ONE of them was to this current Supervisor campaign. More deception by Eric the K.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 06:22 PM.

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #533
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    If you want to know who is paying for it, it is all public knowledge....
    And,for those of you who have not been reading this thread from the start, "Scampewillow" is a PAID STAFF MEMBER OF THE NOREEN EVANS CAMPAIGN. So please take her commentary with a grain or two of salt!!
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 06:34 PM.

44. Gratitude expressed by:

45. TopTop #534
    jbox

And where exactly on the coast was the Dutra asphalt factory? Tell me why you have to resort to such "bullshit" and unwarranted speculation, eh?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 06:35 PM.

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #535
    scamperwillow

And,for those of you who have not been reading this thread from the start, "Scampewillow" is a PAID STAFF MEMBER OF THE NOREEN EVANS CAMPAIGN. So please take her commentary with a grain or two of salt!!
    Ummm take a factual report direct from the county with a grain of salt? People are getting really desperate. Do your own research, you will find the same result.

48. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

49. TopTop #536
    jbox

Ummm take a factual report direct from the county with a grain of salt? People are getting really desperate. Do your own research, you will find the same result.
    You're the one paid to spin publlic opinion, not me.

50. Gratitude expressed by:

51. TopTop #537
    KittyW

While the donors listed in the mailer may not be for the current campaign, Noreen certainly has a very interesting history of big money donors that don't sit well with me: oil & gas, Big Pharma, insurance, big wine and developers, and the most evil corporation on Earth:

Monsanto
    Eli Lilly
    Merck
    Pfizer
    Georgia Pacific
    Anheuser Busch
    Clorox
    E&J Gallo Winery
    Chevron
    several Casinos
    a number of insurance companies
    etc
    Last edited by Barry; 10-29-2016 at 08:36 AM.

52. Gratitude expressed by:

53. TopTop #538
    mouse

Noreen for the 5th

The landed gentry candidate took huge contributions from Syar Gravel Mining, Big Developers, and the Ratto Group. They intend to get something in return. The decisions the BOS makes in the coming year will impact our area forever.

The majority of your list of evil corporations are pretty evil, I agree, but they aren't interested in our local politics. They only reason we're talking about these old donors is because the the local power brokers who are funding a wildly inexperienced and malleable candidate, hope to distract voters from their machinations.

Syar Gravel Mining, Big Developers, and the Ratto Group want to buy the 5th district vote in Sonoma County now, in the present. They are hungry to place their chosen candidate on the board. That's what this conversation and this election are about.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by KittyW: View Post
    While the donors listed in the mailer may not be for the current campaign, Noreen certainly has a very interesting history of big money donors that don't sit well with me: oil & gas, Big Pharma, insurance, big wine and developers, and the most evil corporation on Earth:

Monsanto
    Eli Lilly...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 06:35 PM.

54. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

55. TopTop #539
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

And by the way, that deceptive mailer that was sent yesterday contained contributions to Noreen's Assembly and Senate campaigns 10 or so years ago. Not ONE of them was to this current Supervisor campaign. More deception by Eric the K.
    So either Noreen sold out to her big, nasty donors, 10 years ago or it's possible for a candidate to accept money from donors and not do their bidding that is in conflict with her/constituent's values. Which is it?

56. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

57. TopTop #540
    photolite

Exactly! If it was revealed that 10 years ago Lynda was in bed with Monsanto, Noreen's paid operative and surrogates would be lighting up this thread like the old Four Queens pinball machine.
    And to hear the pronouncement that "Eric K. has been waging war on our coast and redwood forests for years" is just plain false. The Preservation Ranch issue that is so often seized upon to exemplify this mis-informed factoid dismisses the prolonged negotiations whose outcome was far from certain, and that a mitigating fall back position was appropriate before the final, and not entirely certain victory, was attained.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    So either Noreen sold out to her big, nasty donors, 10 years ago or it's possible for a candidate to accept money from donors and not do their bidding that is in conflict with her/constituent's values. Which is it?