Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #301
    Shepherd

Re: 5th District Supervisor Race 2016: Noreen Evans vs Lynda Hopkins

Thanks, Marion, for drawing our attention to the homemade signs. Their diversity is my favorite and says a lot about why we should support Noreen. With big bucks, one can pay for signs, but it takes many hands to make those beautiful hand-made signs.
    Go Noreen!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sohemi: View Post
    I drove all around Sebastopol yesterday. The preponderance of signs, in front of homes, were for Noreen, including homemade ones
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #302
    beshiva

the tell-tale sign, EXACTLY, where are Hopkins signs and where are Noreen's signs being displayed? who has a modest sign and who has a gaudy, Yuge sign!.... How hard is it to really figure this out.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #303
    jenielson

In the past week, I've heard that someone has made a negative statement about Noreen Evans' work in the state legislature. In fact, Noreen kept a daily record of everything she was doing, in the form of a blog. To judge for yourself, go to https://californiabudget.blogspot.com/.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #304
    rossmen

Ok, i did. Your description is bs. Mine? A year and one half, a few a month, political propaganda. Was norreen an effective member as our local representative in the california assembly and senate? The mixed record brings up lots of questions. My biggest one, why did she leave the senate? Norreens answer does not recomend her for county supervisor.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jenielson: View Post
    In the past week, I've heard that someone has made a negative statement about Noreen Evans' work in the state legislature. In fact, Noreen kept a daily record of everything she was doing, in the form of a blog. To judge for yourself, go to https://californiabudget.blogspot.com/.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #305
    rossmen

Its really interesting what this article reports about instream gravel mining from the most local watershed environmental group, Russian river keepers. The mid stretch of the rr is also choked with sediment, and while past practices (especially terrace mining), were destructive, instream mining now is potentially beneficial. To slash Hopkins for gravel industry support and pump up Evans as gravel slayer(she had little to do with modifying the industry), is environmentally ignorant. It's not going to get us anywhere, consciously confusing political propaganda.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Sonoma County 5th District issues: housing, wine, pensions
    See full article here

...Hopkins has faced heavy criticism lodged by Evans and her supporters about the campaign cash she has taken from development interests, including Napa- based Syar Industries, which for years has run a major gravel mining operation on upper Russian River near Geyserville. The company has no current proposal to expand.

“It’s a concern for anyone who cares about the river that these gravel miners want to come back,” said Ernie Carpenter, an Evans supporter and former county supervisor who represented west county for 16 years on the board. “It only takes a 3-2 vote and you can pretty much change anything.”

Hopkins said extracting gravel from the banks of the Russian River, however, could actually help restore it to a more natural state and help endangered fish species recover — an idea supported by some biologists and river advocates.

“Today, the river is stuck in a straitjacket,” said Don McEnhill, executive director of the nonprofit Russian Riverkeeper. “Most mining prior to today was done in a way that was very harmful for the river, but we are open to gravel mining if it can help the river spread out to bring down the natural floodplain.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #306
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Amid the well reasoned posts by many Evans supporters there is a liberal sprinkling of hate speech by an energetic minority epitomized by Lisa's frequent outbursts. ...she attempts to wrap herself in the flag of minority victimization while in fact she dances on the edge of racism and sexism. ...

What I find most discouraging is that so many other Noreen supporters express "gratitude" to her posts, which further encourages her outrageous expressions.
    Not only do I find Lisa's comments appropriate but they are spot on! Do your homework and you will come to understand the underpinnings of how this County operates!
    I find nothing offensive but what I do find offensive offensive is that when real lies, and misrepresentations are pointed out, then that is considered "offensive" EVA NAVARRO" pointed this fact out on the national debate! As once something is exposed then the opposition tries to deflect .
    It's a serious distraction to even imply The term "outrageous expressions" it is a silly term and I can't be the only one who doesn't get what it even means!?
    What exactly "outrageous expression" Noreen doing? ?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2016 at 09:51 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #307
    Kate Fenton

Lynda Hopkins may be an organic farmer with a fresh face and a couple of “Ivy League West” degrees, compared to Efren’s one. Like him, she represents the good old boy network. And it is her campaign that is the nasty one, blaming and haranguing and then acting like the victim. The harping on pension legislation reminds me of the persecution of Rue Furch over her property taxes, and it is not even worth the blame. The latest hit piece from Eric Koenigshoefer, a full page ad in today’s PD AND a mailer slamming Noreen Evans and her time on the Coastal Conservancy, is misleading and disingenuous and shows how desperate Ms. Hopkins’s supporters are to keep their power in Sonoma County. They want to hand an extremely important job to someone with no experience, like she was handed a several-million-dollar organic farm as a wedding present. If the subject comes up about the money pouring in to her campaign, it is either dismissed or called an attack. She is an elitist who may very well be “passionate” about western Sonoma County issues, but I for one am tired of hearing about her Stanford degrees and her organic farm. Let’s not be fooled—it’s becoming more and more painfully obvious that that essential swing vote, so urgent now for protecting our county and coast, is in grave danger of being bought by the 1%.
    Kate Fenton

14. TopTop #308
    Richard Nichols

Thank you Kate for the thoughtful post.
    Truthiness, a term coined by Stephen Colbert, is essentially that if something sounds or feels right, it must be true. Half truths and fabrication fit into this. And so it is that the Hopkins people have launched a truthiness hit piece against Noreen Evans. The claim is that she didn't attend many Coastal Conservancy meetings as a legislator , which is only true in a certain way. The seat is for observation only, it is not a voting seat, and so Noreen sent staff to meetings that were held up and down the state. She did that because she held important committee positions and felt that those were the most important job for her to do. Just saying she didn't attend meeting sounds like she didn't do her job which is exactly what this dishonest hatchet job wants voters to think. Expect more of these fabricated "truths" in the coming weeks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kate Fenton: View Post
    Lynda Hopkins may be an organic farmer with a fresh face and a couple of “Ivy League West” degrees, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2016 at 04:05 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

16. TopTop #309
    beshiva

is there a double gratitude button i can push.
    Eric Koenigshofer really must be the bulldog-pitbull for Efren. As IF this whole superPac isn't a deliberate attack
    on Noreen to discredit her work on the Coastal Conservancy...does He really think this is ethical! Damn he sounds(and even looks a little) like Trump. i haven't looked at his hands lately.
    i'm disgusted where this is going in a desperate attempt to cut down Noreen because they have some $$$ to do so.
    I mean-what the heck are the Hopkins folks even thinking-or are they?!! Either Lynda doesn't really Know what is going on with her campaign people's antics (and maybe, she really doesn't know how to play so dirty-i wanna give her some benefit of the doubt simply because she has NOT been a politician) or she is fully aware and wants to get down and dirty...that's not where i think she started from. Koenigshofer is a shark of the first degree and he knows full well what he is doing and i'm not surprised at how low he will go with Efren..they are both bottom feeders and i'm not going to hold back any longer-gonna let it rip.
    Lynda's campaign could have gone another way-i think it got away from her too...i hope she is afraid, very afraid of what the folks who pushed and prompted her to run really want from her and her eyes are, finally, wide open! Because this is as easy as it gets for her if she is elected-she'll have a lot of payback after her reckless .campaign

Lynda Hopkins may be an organic farmer ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2016 at 04:07 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

18. TopTop #310
    photolite

You guys whine about the Union leadership being portrayed as thugs, all the while behaving thuggishly.
    You declare "Damn he sounds(and even looks a little) like Trump."

"I'm not going to hold back any longer-gonna let it rip."

“I’m taking the gloves off. no more Mr. Nice Guy."

Which of the above statements is Trump? Which is Beshiva?

What a bunch of hypocrites.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #311
    riverosprey

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Almost over good people, less than three weeks...are we really changing many votes here?

Or are the PACS really changing anything?

Will 5th District voters buy the guilt by association campaign of Noreen and the Unions?

Will the voters change over a full page ad saying Noreen misrepresented herself and is lazy?

I don't think so...I think the voters are going to vote on who they sincerely believe will represent everyone the best. I will vote for Lynda Hopkins, and think my dear friends and band of brothers (and sisters :) on WaccoBB, even if they vote for Noreen and she loses (very likely :), will work toward reconciliation and moving forward together.

Meanwhile I will aspire to the good vibes and thoughts of Shepherd and Dan and Barry...

21. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

22. TopTop #312
    beshiva

You guys whine about the Union leadership being portrayed as thugs, all the while behaving thuggishly.
    You declare "Damn he sounds(and even looks a little) like Trump."

"I'm not going to hold back any longer-gonna let it rip."

“I’m taking the gloves off. no more Mr. Nice Guy."

Which of the above statements is Trump? Which is Beshiva?

What a bunch of hypocrites.
    Lol whose whining? Just telling it like I see it...same as you are doing...

23. TopTop #313
    rossmen

Get real richard, your and Kate's posts are best described as hyperbolic, whatever that means... take me for example, i really am undecided, respect both candidates, looking for info here on wacco from people like you, and i know a lot too. Mostly i ask about noreen, cause she puts out less info, that doesn't mean I'm decided on lynda. Yet my questions go unanswered by noreen supporters.

So what does noreen think about instream gravel mining in the mid and lower reach of the russian river? And the plans for a Forestville roundabout? Is she willing to meet with constituents about specific issues of their choosing as individuals or a group? Is she willing to challenge county staff when citizens demonstrate deeper knowledge about action the county is taking? Lynda has answers to these questions, noreen takes a pass. You seem to have the inside scoop, dish it out : )

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    Thank you Kate for the thoughtful post.
    Truthiness, ...

Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2016 at 04:10 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #314
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    So what does noreen think about instream gravel mining in the mid and lower reach of the russian river? And the plans for a Forestville roundabout? Is she willing to meet with constituents about specific issues of their choosing as individuals or a group? Is she willing to challenge county staff when citizens demonstrate deeper knowledge about action the county is taking? Lynda has answers to these questions, noreen takes a pass. You seem to have the inside scoop, dish it out : )
    Ross have you asked Noreen these questions directly? Why do you say she takes a pass? Have you been to her web site? Her Facebook page? Please attend an upcoming meet and greet party and ask her yourself.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2016 at 04:11 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

27. TopTop #315
    riverosprey

For the record, we're not talking about Noreen's vote for the massive retroactive pension increase at the County, but rather the city of Santa Rosa. With a 100% voting record to defend these pensions, Noreen has no plan to solve the problem...she doesn't even recognize this as a problem.

Note the e-mail from Ken Churchill below...in particular he notes, because of the increased pension that Noreen Evans voted for, the city of Santa Rosa is seeing annual increase of revenues of 3% and increases of pension costs of 24%.
    =======
    Hi Everyone:

I wanted distribute my latest report to you on the City of Santa Rosa’s pension situation, a lawsuit over whether 7507 is mandatory filed by David Brown, and the status of the recent First District Court of Appeals ruling.

The Santa Rosa report speaks for itself. The city and I think every city and county in the state that retroactively increased their benefit formulas (and that was just about all of them) are headed for big trouble. In Santa Rosa what we see is a 3% annual growth in tax revenues and a 24% annual growth in retiree benefit costs. I sent the report out to the city council and city manager yesterday and heard back from Julie Combs who seems concerned. She asked staff for to review the report.

If you own California Municipal bonds, I would suggest selling them.

As part of the research for my report I requested and received all of the documents in the City’s possession regarding the retroactive pension increase that occurred in 2002 in Santa Rosa and found that they too did not notify the public of the future annual cost. The cost was reported to them by CalPERS as the additional cost as a percentage of payroll, not the annual cost so there was no way for the City to comply. CalPERS also neglected to tell the City that there was a public notification requirement and even told the City Council that the increase would have little impact on their pension costs. I think it is safe now to assume that every city under CalPERS failed their public notification requirement.

Ken Churchill

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    God Barry where are you getting this thing that Noreen supported some action by the board of supervisors in 2003?? She wasn't on the board then and had nothing to do with it. I really can't believe you are buying into this rumor mongering.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #316
    photolite

Well you're half right.
    I'm telling it like it is,...you're telling it like it ain't.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post

Lol whose whining? Just telling it like I see it...same as you are doing...

30. TopTop #317
    beshiva

Well you're half right.
    I'm telling it like it is,...you're telling it like it ain't.

See.. you bear out my point..
    :)

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #318
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Just to set the record straight. Connie Codding is the widow of Hugh Codding, not his daughter. And, just because she was married to Mr. Codding, does not make her pro-developer or even necessarily a supporter of his views on anything. It seems that women can actually have thoughts, opinions and ideas of their own and, these days, can even act on them. Connie Codding certainly has. She is and has been one of Sonoma County's largest philanthropists. It is her passion to support and promote social justice and environmental preservation.

A few of the recipients of her generosity are the Pediatric Dental Institute for deprived youth, The Dream Center, which promotes cultural education and leadership programs for young people, Social Advocates for Youth and the Center for Climate Protection. She supports the Pepperwood Preserve, Farmster (a community farming project in Rohnert Park), and was on the Board of the Laguna Foundation, the Board of Advocates for Planned Parenthood, and Osha Lifelong Learning Institute at Sonoma State. Please Google her to find out all the other good causes she supports and donates to.

Another way she is trying to support our county's environmental causes is, apparently, to hold a fund-raiser at her home for Noreen Evans, the only candidate for the 5th District Supervisor to have a long and successful history of protecting the environment. This is what is important to me. Hopkins has 0 experience, Evans has a great record of accomplishments. Google her, too, btw. Don't just read smear campaign ads and mailers. Thanks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    Great new column in Sonoma West from Frank Robertson...

https://www.sonomawest.com/sonoma_we...350838df0.html

"...So it seemed a little curious that Evans was holding a campaign fundraiser the other day at the home of Connie Codding, widow of Hugh Codding, the big Santa Rosa developer. ...

33. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

34. TopTop #319
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Ross have you asked Noreen these questions directly? ...
    Hi have forwarded Ross's post to Noreen's campaign and asked for a response.

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #320

Really? Yeats? I wonder if you think Yeats would consider this kind of spending by Big Business interests to purchase a seat on our Board of Supervisors part of the "ceremony of innocence" I have been to Yeats Tower at Sligo and I think NOT. Read the numbers pouring in from the big wineries and real estate and gravel mining PACS. That much money buys a LOT of political favors with your 'organic veggies' #followthemoney #greenwashing. See the thumbnail attached below the poetry for details. Money speaks. Loudly in the Hopkins Campaign.

Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand  

37. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

38. TopTop #321
    jenielson

I have made inquiries about the hit piece on Noreen Evans by speaking to Neal Fishman, a former Coastal Conservancy employee. He is well informed about the roles and duties are (and were). Neal gave me permission to use his name.

In short, Neal said that it's true that Noreen did not attend many Coastal Conservancy meetings—but that was because she was NOT a member of the Coastal Conservancy board of directors, and attending Board meetings was not her role.

You see, Noreen was a member of the Coastal Conservancy's Legislative Oversight Committee, consisting of State legislators, which has (and had) the function of examining reports about Coastal Conservancy operations, and particularly its financial management. The Legislative Oversight Committee was established so that that the organization could spend most of its allocations on Coastal Conservancy projects, instead of on paying staff to create the detailed line-item accounting required of State Agencies.

Neal said that if Noreen had attended a bunch of Coastal Conservancy board of director meetings, that would have marked her as a political grandstander—someone interested in being seen as performing environmental service, rather than as someone actually providing real services to the Coastal Conservancy, and to the taxpayers who fund it.

In fact, Neal said that Noreen did a very conscientious job of Coastal Conservancy oversight as a member of the Legislative Oversight Committee.

Of course, former Supervisor Koenigshofer knows this, as does his associate (also Press Democrat co-owner and former Congressman), Douglas Bosco. So the nasty mailer, put forth from an Anti-Noreen Evans Super-Pac controlled by Koenigshofer, represents the nastiest form of lying: a partial truth that implies a lie.

39. TopTop #322

WOW!
    Rev. BE

Lynda Hopkins may be an organic farmer with a fresh face ...

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #323
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from Sonoma West Times and News, 10/13:

Calm down

EDITOR: The Ms. Moeckel letter regarding defaced Hopkins signs exploits the misguided activities of some anonymous vandal. Nobody knows who is doing the defacing but it's easy enough to defame Evans without evidence. It is possible that the Hopkins people decided that by defacing their own signs it would discredit Evans. No proof of that either. Evans’ signs have been vandalized and stolen, but nobody is pointing to Hopkins. So maybe we should calm down on the heavy-handed rhetoric and get on with discussing legitimate issues.

Since the candidates are so close on so many issues such as protecting the coast, fixing the roads, building affordable housing, with some differing solutions, what is left is to look at is the supporters of the candidates. The folks working for and support Hopkins are the same people who backed the disastrous terms of Efren Carrillo. They are a host of big monied interests and conservatives — wineries, gravel miners, real estate interests, and developers. Evans is backed by working people (unions) and environmental organizations such as the Sierra Club, Sonoma County Conservation Action as well as the Democratic Party and the Junior College Student Government Association.

Hopkins says she is not beholden to anyone. I'm not taking a chance. I'm voting Noreen.

Richard Nichols

Sebastopol

Amazing to hear
    EDITOR: I was looking at the list of elected officials who have endorsed Lynda Hopkins and noticed that not a one had ever been endorsed by the Sierra Club. Yet, Lynda claims to be every bit the environmentalist that Noreen Evans is.
    Noreen was endorsed by the Sierra Club for Fifth District Supervisor and she has been endorsed by them in every one of her races for the last 20 plus years. She was also named by the organization as the outstanding environmentalist in the legislator.
    It is amazing to hear all Lynda’s promises to protect the environment given the long list of environmental bad actors that she is proud to list as supporters and from whom she is taking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do you think it is her naïveté?
    Rick Theis
    Sebastopol

42. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

43. TopTop #324
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from The Press Democrat, 10/14;

A vote for Evans
    EDITOR: As a second-generation property owner in Graton, I believe sustainable fire management is the most important issue in the 5th District supervisor race. We have seen the devastation visited on Lake County by the “new normal” wildfire — 70,000 acres burned, more 500 structures destroyed and 13,000 people displaced. It was a similar story as the Butte fire burned Calaveras County with such intensity that slate walkways were reduced to carbon dust and wine bottles melted by the case.
    Both candidates, Lynda Hopkins and Noreen Evans, were very generous with their time and met with me to discuss these issues. Both acknowledged the threat of catastrophic fire to the 5th District and seemed to understand the causes of our present danger. Both listened patiently to my plan, but in the final analysis, I am going to vote for Noreen Evans. She was aware of existing programs in Sonoma County to mitigate fire danger, and she had a grasp of the liability exposure to a county with a history of issuing permits to build and live in fire danger zones.

KENT KAY
    Graton

44. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

45. TopTop #325
    Shepherd

The threat of devastating fires is another good reason for voting for Noreen. The County currently has a curbside chipping program, which is limited in its funds. It is important for fire prevention and should be supported. Only certain roads are eligible, including the rural road on which I live.

It is raining this weekend, which is surely a blessing, but this is not a good time to forget the dangers of fires. We do need what Kent describes below as "sustainable fire management."

46. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

47. TopTop #326
    Icssoma

These last two posts are some of the value of Wacco, info & expertise about our community, in simple terms.
    would hope Shepherd you could expand on the "chipping program". have lived in a rural part of Sebastopol for more than 20 years, & i am not familiar w. it, & would love to know more about it!!! thanks for helping me be a better land steward.

love that the posts are a little bit about Noreen & Linda, but as much about awareness of living in a rural area where we want to maintain the forested beauty (& no snarky remarks either!!) thank you!!!

gratitude to Waccoites who improve the quality of my life, & my knowledge about what is available for land management.

& thank you Barry. surely these are some of the benefits you had in mind w. taking Craig's list to a home town discussion, while enabling some of the assets of that site. yeah!!!(know i am over the top, seeing Good on this site, makes me excited!! genetically wired w. high doses of enthusiasm)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...The County currently has a curbside chipping program, which is limited in its funds. ...

48. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

49. TopTop #327
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...The County currently has a curbside chipping program, ...

Click here for information about the county's curbside chipping program

50. Gratitude expressed by:

51. TopTop #328
    Richard Nichols

I think I'm being baited. No thanks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Get real richard, your and Kate's posts are best described as hyperbolic, whatever that means... take me for example, i really am undecided, respect both candidates, looking for info here on wacco from people like you, and i know a lot too. Mostly i ask about noreen, cause she puts out less info, that doesn't mean I'm decided on lynda. Yet my questions go unanswered by noreen supporters.

52. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

53. TopTop #329
    rossmen

I'm the one taking the bait. Responding to your us vs them broadsides with honesty and reasonable questions. I stand strong in vulnerability, and you hide in the morass of partisan politics. No wonder you are afraid: (

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    I think I'm being baited. No thanks.

54. TopTop #330
    rossmen

No. Since my partner works the most common evenings for political gatherings and we have young children its difficult to meet in person. Noreens website sucks. I have looked at it and even ended up on her email list but i still can't access her on the issues section. Don't do facebook. I watch candidate forum videos, read newspaper articles, local list discussion and mailers and ask questions in person and here of her supporters. My experience is that she answers with broad policy. If she shares detail it's about past effort i already know about. So yes, i understand this as a pass when asked a question about specifics of what she would do about something the bos will be voting on. Its frustrating but she is an experienced pol. Its usually what they do, for very good reasons.

Ross have you asked Noreen these questions directly? Why do you say she takes a pass? Have you been to her web site? Her Facebook page? Please attend an upcoming meet and greet party and ask her yourself.