Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

SWMC hits national health care press

Looks like our little hospital is getting national attention.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Dorothy Friberg

Re: SWMC hits national health care press

I want my taxes back!!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dick: View Post
    Looks like our little hospital is getting national attention.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-26-2016 at 12:48 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Investigative Reporter

Regurgitation of PD Smear is in a blog not national press

First off, the reference you cited is far from national press. It is the blog of an unpublished attorney that is two days old; mysteriously timed to coincide with the negotiation of this shakedown lawsuit. It contains absolutely no information beyond repetition of the irresponsible breach of journalistic ethics that was the PD coverage of a lawsuit, which I wrote about here.

As for getting your "tax dollars back" perhaps you might first get your understanding of the facts back.

We pay THE SAME taxes for an open hospital with an emergency room or a closed one.

On behalf of my family, myself, and my tens of thousands of neighbors, my preference is to pay taxes for one that stays open.

Second, our tax dollars have funded less than 10% of the cost of reopening and sustaining this hospital. Dan Smith and Joan Marler have funded 80% of this cost.

They deserve our appreciation, not baseless accusations and regurgitating the claims of extortionist lawsuits.

5. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

6. TopTop #4

Re: Regurgitation of PD Smear is in a blog not national press

I generally don't believe stuff I read on blogs either. I should check out your post about ethics.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    First off, the reference you cited is far from national press. It is the blog of an unpublished attorney ...

7. TopTop #5

Re: Regurgitation of PD Smear is in a blog not national press

And I heard Foundation representatives promise over and over that "it would not cost the taxpayers a dime" to reopen the hospital. Now you're saying it was 10 percent? Why don't you write about that?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    Second, our tax dollars have funded less than 10% of the cost of reopening and sustaining this hospital...

8. TopTop #6
    jesswolfe

I don't know any of the players involved nor do I use their services, but it seems very near sighted to look at the problems with the EHR [Electronic Health Records] system and say this is an outlier. It's not. Since the requirement that EHR systems be used there have been numerous hospitals and doctors who have run into exactly the same problems we are seeing here. Medical databases can be quite large and complicated and if you aren't being careful, problems crop up. And because they are tracking potential life threatening information, the consequences of bugs can be huge. This is an industry problem. Not a local problem. Yes maybe mixing the money for the hospital with the testing of this system was a bad idea, but it's not unusual to see these kind of problems. Many don't crop up until you are in a live situation.

Jessica
    Www.daughterofthediviners.com

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #7

Yes, but those are proven systems with a successful track record. Those glitches are generally and educational thing, not software glitches.
    This is a system that might not be able to interface with anything else on the market. And from what I understand, the billing software has put them behind financially because it has not worked as advertised.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jesswolfe: View Post
    I don't know any of the players involved nor do I use their services, but it seems very near sighted to look at the problems with the EHR [Electronic Health Records] system and say this is an outlier. It's not. Since the requirement that EHR systems be used there have been numerous hospitals and doctors who have run into exactly the same problems we are seeing here. ...

11. TopTop #8
    jesswolfe

They may seem "proven" but there are also a lot of lawsuits because of problems in these systems. This is a relatively young industry.

Jessica

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dick: View Post
    Yes, but those are proven systems with a successful track record. Those glitches are generally and educational thing, not software glitches.
    This is a system that might not be able to interface with anything else on the market. And from what I understand, the billing software has put them behind financially because it has not worked as advertised.

12. Gratitude expressed by: