Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

What all of you 70+ year-olds have to look forward to!

This is something that happened at an assisted living center. The people who lived there have small apartments but they all eat at a central cafeteria. One morning one of the residents didn't show up for breakfast so my wife went upstairs and knocked on his door to see if everything was OK. She could hear him through the door and he said that he was running late and would be down shortly so she went back to the dining area.

An hour later he still hadn't arrived so she went back up towards his room and she found him on the stairs. He was coming down the stairs but was having a terrible time. He had a death grip on the hand rail and seemed to have trouble getting his legs to work right. She told him she was going to call an ambulance but he told her no, he wasn't in any pain and just wanted to have his breakfast. So she helped him the rest of the way down the stairs and he had his breakfast.

When he tried to return to his room he was completely unable to get up even the first step so they called an ambulance for him. A couple hours later she called the hospital to see how he was doing. The receptionist there said he was fine, he just had both of his legs in one leg of his boxer shorts.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    kateea

Re: What all of you 70+ year-olds have to look forward to!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    This is something that happened at an assisted living center. The people who lived there have small apartments but they all eat at a central cafeteria. One morning one of the residents didn't show up for breakfast so my wife went upstairs and knocked on his door to see if everything was OK. She could hear him through the door and he said that he was running late and would be down shortly so she went back to the dining area.

An hour later he still hadn't arrived so she went back up towards his room and she found him on the stairs. He was coming down the stairs but was having a terrible time. He had a death grip on the hand rail and seemed to have trouble getting his legs to work right. She told him she was going to call an ambulance but he told her no, he wasn't in any pain and just wanted to have his breakfast. So she helped him the rest of the way down the stairs and he had his breakfast.

When he tried to return to his room he was completely unable to get up even the first step so they called an ambulance for him. A couple hours later she called the hospital to see how he was doing. The receptionist there said he was fine, he just had both of his legs in one leg of his boxer shorts.
    O MY GOD.... this is funny... but true
    guess we have to have another glass of wine to help us age properly

Kate

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

I needed this information, and appreciate Sara S. for it. The post's last line evoked an early morning deep laugh from this 70+ years-old. Now I have one more threatening thing to pay attention to at this old age--my boxer shorts.

I went to a helpful Kaiser fall prevention class recently. Speaking of falls--for those of you who go to Ragle Park's dog park--beware. There is a new wooden rise from the ground as you enter. A friend recently tripped on it, fell to the ground, & had to be taken in an ambulance to the hospital. She has a hair-line fracture in one of her ribs, which is a painful and disabling experience.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

There is a recurring program, "A Matter of Balance", which was offered earlier this year at Palm Drive Hospital; I took it a few years ago, and it was really helpful. Ironically, as I was copying it to send to an old friend a few weeks ago, I slipped and cracked a rib.....no ambulance or hospital, though.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I needed this information, and appreciate Sara S. for it. The post's last line evoked an early morning deep laugh from this 70+ years-old. Now I have one more threatening thing to pay attention to at this old age--my boxer shorts.

I went to a helpful Kaiser fall prevention class recently. Speaking of falls--for those of you who go to Ragle Park's dog park--beware. There is a new wooden rise from the ground as you enter. A friend recently tripped on it, fell to the ground, & had to be taken in an ambulance to the hospital. She has a hair-line fracture in one of her ribs, which is a painful and disabling experience.