Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    tommy

What's with alll the Lynda Hopkins signs?

What is the implication of all the Lynda Hopkins signs everywhere in West County? Is it that all the ag & vineyard associations are supporting her? And what would that mean... fewer restrictions, and a more permissive response to ag & winery interests?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    ChefJayTay

Re: What's with alll the Lynda Hopkins signs?

Umm... Pretty sure she is a farmer...
    Unsure of any affiliations with the wine industry tho.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Lynda is an organic farmer who has worked in that industry, as well as a writer. Her husband's father is a grape grower. She has extensive ties with the wine industry, including with James Gore, a supervisor, whose family has extensive wine ties and makes expensive wines, which they advertise at $80 a bottle. You could google each of them and get extensive information.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Umm... Pretty sure she is a farmer...
    Unsure of any affiliations with the wine industry tho.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    photolite

Mostly likely people are tired of driving our atrocious roads and seeing other services cut, partly due to Evans' voting record on County pension obligations.
    It appears that a majority of the voters may be supporting Lynda Hopkins. There is that.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    What is the implication of all the Lynda Hopkins signs everywhere in West County? Is it that all the ag & vineyard associations are supporting her? And what would that mean... fewer restrictions, and a more permissive response to ag & winery interests?

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    tommy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Mostly likely people are tired of driving our atrocious roads and seeing other services cut, partly due to Evans' voting record on County pension obligations.
    It appears that a majority of the voters may be supporting Lynda Hopkins. There is that.
    Ha ha! Funny!!!

Don't you mean a majority of wealthy vineyard owners are supporting Lynda?

Why would such a mass of them support her? Could it be that she would give them some payback, with fewer restrictions, and more "freedom"?
    Last edited by Barry; 08-25-2016 at 12:03 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #6
    scamperwillow

Ummm..... Evans has never voted on County pension obligations. She has never been a county supervisor. What a crazy baseless rumor.

Mostly likely people are tired of driving our atrocious roads and seeing other services cut, partly due to Evans' voting record on County pension obligations.....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-01-2016 at 10:50 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #7

Um, maybe it's individuals expressing their preferences as members of the voting public? Isn't this 'merica, land of the free (unless you're Colin Kaepernick)? Should we just not have an election and put Noreen in her rightful place atop the West County throne?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post

14. TopTop #8
    riverosprey

Marty,

You're absolutely right, Noreen didn't vote for the 50% unfunded increase that is bankrupting Sonoma County. Noreen voted for the 50% unfunded increase while on the Santa Rosa City Council that is bankrupting Santa Rosa.

Sorry people are getting this confused. What I said while running for Supervisor was, "Noreen Evans is the last of a generation of politicians, who promised the first wave of retiring baby boomers, who control the unions and upper management, who gave Noreen $Millions in campaign contributions, for her 100% voting record for everything they asked for themselves, but didn't fund it."

In turn we are now in the midst of massive cuts in education, social services and infrastructure, along with huge increased burdens on our kids and grandchildren, to pay for the boomers that Noreen represented for 20 years at the expense of those who retired before 2003 (when Noreen voted for the unfunded retroactive increase), and those who are working after, this is the new tier, the next generation, that Noreen voted to give half the retirement the boomers are getting, and in all likelihood these kids will get nothing when the system inevitably goes bankrupt.

Sorry, the truth hurts, Noreen is a nice person, but I think she will move back to Santa Rosa when she loses this race. I support Lynda Hopkins 100% for Fifth District Supervisor. She is the one candidate that understands and will try to fix the mess that Noreen and others of my generation created.

respect and kind regards,

Tom Lynch

...for more of my thoughts go to www.tomlynchforsupervisor.com

p.s. Noreen does not support "Junior Second Dwelling Units" and has no plan to address our critical housing crisis.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Ummm..... Evans has never voted on County pension obligations. She has never been a county supervisor. What a crazy baseless rumor.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #9
    photolite

Scamperwillow, I stand corrected.
    It was her City Council vote to which I referred, as Riverosprey pointed out.
    Not such a crazy baseless rumor after all, as I suspect you know. Only an accidental conflation of legislative bodies. Her intent and service to those to whom she is beholden remain the same.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10

Another thought occurred to me photolite: If we assume every Lynda Hopkins sign is a plant by the wine industry and their henchmen at the farm bureau, can we assume that all the Noreen Evans signs are from members of the SEIU (or people on her payroll)?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2016 at 03:12 PM.

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #11
    scamperwillow

Geez... This was a unanimous vote in the city council 20 years ago that had nothing whatsoever to do with the County pensions. If it was so bad, why not question Mike Martini and Sharon Wright (Hopkins supporters) why they also joined that unanimous vote?

Noreen has dedicated her life to serving our community and has done it well for over 2 decades. It is truly sad that people supporting a candidate with no record of her own to run on are trying to win election by destroying the reputation of someone who has devoted her life to public service.

There is a video on her Facebook page explaining her thoughts on pensions in her own words. I suggest you watch it: https://www.facebook.com/NoreenforSupervisor/?fref=ts
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2016 at 03:13 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

22. TopTop #12
    riverosprey

Geez... This was a unanimous vote in the city council 20 years ago that had nothing whatsoever to do with the County pensions. If it was so bad, why not question Mike Martini and Sharon Wright (Hopkins supporters) why they also joined that unanimous vote?

Noreen has dedicated her life to serving our community and has done it well for over 2 decades. It is truly sad that people supporting a candidate with no record of her own to run on are trying to win election by destroying the reputation of someone who has devoted her life to public service.

There is a video on her Facebook page explaining her thoughts on pensions in her own words. I suggest you watch it: https://www.facebook.com/NoreenforSupervisor/?fref=ts
    Marty,

I am not trying to "destroy the reputation" of Noreen, she is a very nice person, I've always liked her, but I believe her twenty year career, much of which represented the first wave of retiring baby boomers, who control the unions and management, did much to further the demise of our educational system, our social safety net, and the resources available for roads and infrastructure. The previous generation of retirees benefits are compromised, and the young people starting new careers in government, rue the PEPRA Pension fix that does not require the boomers to share the burden. We see boomer implemented "New Tiers" throughout, that allow senior rank and file to continue to get top $'s while the "New Tier" make much less with reduced benefits.

To watch the video on her facebook page, with her proposed fixes for roads, pensions and affordable housing, Noreen's solutions are so ignorant of the reality of the situation, that they border on demagoguery (sorry). Ask Noreen to talk to Julie Wyne at SCERA about how the fund is guaranteed a 7.25% interest rate (Affordable housing loans are usually around 3-4%), there's never going to be a dime of this money used for affordable housing.

The "Pot for Potholes" is not going to provide any $'s for roads. And Marin just issued their first Jr. Second Dwelling Unit permit for $1400---which Noreen is opposed to because she parrots Ernie's bias against second units. P.S. The State is about to impose Jr. Second Dwelling Units laws on all Counties and Cities (AB 2400).

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6v...3ZpSmxTeGNGQ28

I wish Noreen well on her future endeavors, I just don't think she will make a good Supervisor for the Fifth...that's why I support Lynda Hopkins.

Respect and kind regards, Tom Lynch
    Last edited by Barry; 09-03-2016 at 12:00 PM.

23. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

24. TopTop #13
    photolite

Geez...
    Scamper, no one is characterizing Evans' vote 20 years ago as particularly heinous, only that it demonstrates a pattern of serving her organized labor constituency, who back her with tens of thousands of dollars, at the possible expense of the general public, who ultimately foot the bill. Were Martini and Wright running for our District Supervisor, you can rest assured they would be questioned, but they are not. Noreen is.

Questioning a candidate's past voting record is a far cry from "trying to win election by destroying the reputation" of said candidate. I watched her video, and although I agree that the cannabis industry represents a promising source of future revenues for all sorts of purposes, her solutions boiled down to raising old, and creating new, taxes. Once again shifting the full burden onto the general public and leaving the problematic pension arrangement untouched. Seemed to me she was preaching to her choir instead of making the necessarily difficult choices.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2016 at 05:24 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #14

I'm sure Noreen is not some delicate flower that will be crushed so easily Tom. She is a very experienced political player in northern California and adept at the game. It's even hard to tell who supports her out of blind loyalty and who is on her payroll sometimes.

Having a novice in the race is refreshing, although by the time it's all over I'm sure Lynda will be as jaded and cynical as the purest of politicians. So it goes.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2016 at 05:25 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

28. TopTop #15
    beshiva

unlike your twenty year career Tom, right....of course, you couldn't support Noreen- they would hang ya!
    you and best buddy Efren, (whose now best buddy with Hopkins)...i can see why you might not think
    Lynda could contribute to the demise of anything, right?!
    starters- with the Wine folks, they have our best interest at heart- no demise there-
    and remind me again Tom what Lynda has done for the 5th District -hmm

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    I am not trying to "destroy the reputation" of Noreen, ...

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #16
    rossmen

Some questioned the rush to rain money down on public employees at that time, they are still demonized by people you support. A more interesting question is who learned from the Mistake? Noreen is still clueless as demonstrated by her current statements on budget and pension policy. Noreen panders to a progressive base, playing us vs them politics and still unwilling to face the hard choices which is what we need from representative members. This is why she will probably lose, despite her experience and connections.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-04-2016 at 10:48 AM.

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #17
    beshiva

And who does Hopkins pander too? the conservative Wine, Construction, Real Estate Base.
    i guess it's a wash then.
    if Noreen loses we All lose.
    Efren has been the lame duck Supervisor since the day he attempted to molest his neighbor...that he did not step down hurt so many but it is finally coming to an end. Hopkins will probably continue where he left off unfortunately-she is truly a novice...should have tried to work her way up-and for this reason, i believe she has a Big Fat Ego- that will hurt the 5th District, just like Efren has done.
    We need someone who does not need to do a huge catch up job and can actually Stop the bleeding sooner than later.
    we can't wait for Lynda Hopkins to learn as she goes. she is enthusiastic but without much substance Because she has absolutely No experience. she is trying to run with the big Dogs, and ran off the porch too soon.
    Noreen has the depth and understanding of our County workings which will enable her to run first day in office!
    i think Ms. Hopkins must do a little more homework before she attempts this task of trying to be a Supervisor. i know you have to start somewhere but this office is way over her head.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-04-2016 at 10:49 AM.

33. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

34. TopTop #18
    scamperwillow

Well aren't you the prophet? I am quite sure she will probably win - but we must all wait for that outcome. Meanwhile, what great plans does your candidate (with no government experience) have to solve this so-called crisis? Or will she rely on her supporters to inform her?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    ...This is why she will probably lose, despite her experience and connections.

35. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

36. TopTop #19
    rossmen

I think hopkins will win because she got the most votes in the primary and the other two contenders who got substantial support were more in alignment with hopkins platform. Just doing the math. Hopkins at least talks about the unsustainability of the county's current pension obligation. Evans does her best to avoid it but when she has to, she mimics the seiu position that everything is fine.

Well aren't you the prophet? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2016 at 11:20 AM.

37. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

38. TopTop #20
    Shepherd

I think there are various reasons why Noreen is likely to win, including the following:

1. The home-made signs by some of her supporters are the best signs, not only graphically, but signs that she is popular at the grass roots level.

2. Lynda had only about 400 more votes in the primary.

3. Of the other candidates who ran, at least Tim Sergent apparently now supports Noreen, and he may have had the 3rd most votes.

But I could certainly be wrong, as I often am. I just don't know which times I am incorrect. I am not sure about "the math" that you are talking about, but your argument seems incorrect to me. This election has more to do with many issues, than merely reducing it to one issue--the pension obligation--in spite of the importance of that one issue.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    I think hopkins will win because ....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2016 at 11:22 AM.

39. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

40. TopTop #21
    scamperwillow

You are mostly correct Shepherd. There was only a 400 vote margin in the primary which is really meaningless considering:
    1) TWO of her opponents - Tim Sergent and Marion Chase - have both endorsed Noreen and actively supporting her campaign, including showing up at her events to explain why.
    2) There will be a much bigger turnout in the General - a presidential vote, plus GMO's Marijuana, etc.
    3) Awareness is expanding greatly with more time to get the word out. Noreen is doing a fabulous job.

Tom Lynch did endorse Lynda, but I sure haven't heard her bragging about it. They belong together - both Efren pals. Right, Tom?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2016 at 11:23 AM.

41. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

42. TopTop #22
    photolite

The whiff of anger and smear seems to permeate the unfounded accusations of Noreen's surrogates. I keep expecting them to exclaim that Crooked Lynda founded Isis.

Beshiva writes, " Efren, (whose now best buddy with Hopkins)" and "who does Hopkins pander too? the conservative Wine, Construction, Real Estate Base"

Scamperwillow writes, " They (Tom Lynch and Lynda) belong together - both Efren pals"

Where is the evidence that Lynda panders to these interests. If it rests in the fact that she has stated a willingness to include them in a dialogue then perhaps you don't understand nuance. Noreen and her surrogates can't seem to resist trying to paint Lynda Hopkins with the broad brush of Efren.

In Lynda Hopkins' own words,
    "We've all experienced it: the "us versus them" mentality. Standard wisdom holds that environmentalists and farmers are always at odds, and the business community and working people can never agree.
    I don't believe in this way of thinking -- so as your next 5th District Supervisor, I will work on breaking apart the polarizing politics of yesteryear and forming new coalitions. The only way forward is through environmentalist agriculture and socially just businesses. We must work together to address our most pressing concerns."

By all means continue to champion your hero, but please don't forget that tone matters.

43. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

44. TopTop #23
    scamperwillow

I didn't mean that to be a smear that Lynda and Tom and Efren are pals. Isn't it true? Tom and Efren have both endorsed Lynda. Efren's county staff person is Lynda's treasurer. Tom clearly supported Lynda all through the debates. I just see that as fact. I wonder why you consider it a smear. And I really wonder why you call it an unfounded accusation......I think it is pretty well founded.

Noreen is proud of her associations, I would think the other candidate would be too.

The whiff of anger and smear seems to permeate the unfounded accusations of Noreen's surrogates....

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

46. TopTop #24
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I didn't mean that to be a smear that Lynda and Tom and Efren are pals. ,,,
    That sure sounds disingenuous to me...

47. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

48. TopTop #25
    Kate Fenton

Oh, do you expect Hopkins to win? That's very upsetting!

Well aren't you the prophet? I am quite sure she will probably win - but we must all wait for that outcome. Meanwhile, what great plans does your candidate (with no government experience) have to solve this so-called crisis? Or will she rely on her supporters to inform her?

49. TopTop #26
    scamperwillow

No! I expect Noreen to win! I was responding to his comment that he expected Noreen to lose!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kate Fenton: View Post
    Oh, do you expect Hopkins to win? That's very upsetting!

50. TopTop #27
    riverosprey

Sorry...took me a while to respond...busy weekend, just got back from my daughter's voice lesson :).

-Tim Sergent most assuredly got third place, a great campaign with mailer's, signs, precinct walking, and a visionary campaign manager/partner Neysa Hinton (who I endorse for Sebastopol City Council :).

-I am working very hard for Lynda Hopkins campaign, with calls, letters and signs---my experience thus far is 100% of my sign locations are for Lynda and about 2/3 of Tim's sign locations will not allow Noreen's signs on their property, I think most of Tim's supporters will vote for Lynda.

-I would respectfully agree with my friend and compatriot in many previous battles, Marty, that awareness is expanding, but it as an awareness of how Noreen Evans twenty years in politics betrayed a generation, for the campaign contributions of the boomers controlling the unions and management, and has consistently undermined the future of the next generations with promises she failed to pay for, and now has no plan, no vision, no idea how to prevent our kids and grandchildren from paying the bill (la de da, sorry, the truth hurts, but Noreen's moving to the Fifth District was my main reason to run...to stop her from further damaging the future of our kids.)

-Last but not least, Noreen disagrees with 100% of the State Assembly and Senate, who voted to pass Assembly bill AB 2406, allowing homeowners to repurpose a bedroom into a second dwelling unit without $30-50,000 in friggin fees!. Noreen said in the Sebastopol debate people don't want to live in a crappy one bedroom apartment (hello...over 60% of American households are 1-2 people...what planet is she on?). Noreen parrot's Ernie Carpenter's bias against second units, largely responsible for most of the West County workforce unable to live in the communities in which they work, unable to have their kids go to our schools, or the workers to be part of our communities in the fire departments, the volunteers that are the core, that we've lost. With 35,000 empty bedrooms in Sonoma County, and a 1% vacancy rate for rentals, Noreen would say in the debates her solution was "inclusionary zoning", making all the new sub-divisions in Bodega Bay, Occidental, Guerneville, and Sebastopol create a percentage of affordable housing (what a load of baloney). This is the heart and soul of my campaign, Junior Second Dwelling Units to create affordable housing in our communities, and Noreen mocks the effort.

-My guess is almost 100% of my supporters, 60% of Tim Sergent's supporters, and equal portions of the doubled number of voters in November will support a vibrant, smart, visionary organic farmer and mom, LYNDA HOPKINS.

p.s. If Efren were to run in this race he'd have kicked Noreen's butt! Efren is one of the best Supervisor's the Fifth District has ever had, and I believe most of Efren's supporters would never vote for Noreen. Mark my word when Noreen loses she will move back to Santa Rosa...her heart is not in the Fifth District, it's in continuing at the government trough, and to get a Supervisor's fat pension.

Pffft...Argh...Hurrumpf!...I feel better...sorry Marty-truth hurts-if you want to continue this debate I'm game but every 3 days for me, got a lot on my plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

love,
    Tom Lynch

You are mostly correct Shepherd. There was only a 400 vote margin in the primary which is really meaningless considering:
    1) TWO of her opponents - Tim Sergent and Marion Chase - have both endorsed Noreen and actively supporting her campaign, including showing up at her events to explain why.
    2) There will be a much bigger turnout in the General - a presidential vote, plus GMO's Marijuana, etc.
    3) Awareness is expanding greatly with more time to get the word out. Noreen is doing a fabulous job.

Tom Lynch did endorse Lynda, but I sure haven't heard her bragging about it. They belong together - both Efren pals. Right, Tom?

51. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

52. TopTop #28
    sohemi

Tom -

I disagree with you on this issue, but I do miss bantering with you. You always understood, during the election, that people could disagree with you, and never took it personal. Glad you are able to spend more time with your family. I know you will not misinterpret that

Cheers, Marion

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    Sorry...took me a while to respond...busy weekend, just got back from my daughter's voice lesson :).

-Tim Sergent most assuredly got third place, a great campaign with mailer's, signs, precinct walking, and a visionary campaign manager/partner Neysa Hinton (who I endorse for Sebastopol City Council :).

53. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

54. TopTop #29
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sohemi: View Post
    Tom -

I disagree with you on this issue, but I do miss bantering with you....
    I presume you are referring to Tom's assertion that "Tim Sergent most assuredly got third place".

However it seems that Sonoma County agrees with Tom:

55. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

56. TopTop #30
    rossmen

We can only guess, and be glad the 5th attracts such quality candidates. I'm not decided yet, and I pay attention, because our supervisor is the most important politician in my life. As a parent, farmer, builder, landowner who rents people homes, and a radical environmentalist, I live a very land based life.

Access is my number one issue. At least Lynda shares her email and even wrote me back, she was even here for a bit. Noreen has no direct contact info, made a joke about hot air balloons when her transport was cut as an assembly member during the budget crunch, and offers themed town hall meetings as the way to meet constituents as a supervisor. Yuck!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-06-2016 at 11:19 AM.

57. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: