Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Dog play at Kokopelli Farm

I have a free dog park at Kokopelli Farm, which is slightly up from Hardcore Coffee, off Bloomfield Rd., in the Sebastopol countryside. All ages, sizes, and breeds of non-aggressive dogs are welcome to join the 50 lb. female Catahoula leopard hound to whom I am the human companion. If you want a photo of my 6-colored 3-year-old dog, let me know, and I can send it to you.

Appointments can be made 7 days a week, starting as early as 7 a.m. and ending by dark. Your dog(s) must be accompanied by a two-footed, though not necessarily for the entire time. Children are welcome.

We have two regular times on Wednesdays—9 a.m. for small dog play and 4:15 for all sizes. Other times can be proposed. We also have regular outings to the beach.

The dogs have shaded and sunny places among the oaks and redwoods to choose from. Then they can run down the ten 200 foot rows of berries. Humans can pick free berries at this time of year. Once a pack has been formed and we feel secure, we can venture into the uplands of a marsh, which has all kinds of smells from the nocturnal animals.

Feel free to share this information with other dog lovers, whether they currently have dogs or not. I also want to recommend a DVD with a protective dog as hero—“Love Finds You in Valentine,” which I rented at the Video Store in Sebastopol. This ranch-based film, which also has horses, is “a tale of love, forgiveness, and new beginnings,” according to Dove.org. Some would consider it “sentimental,” which dogs and some of their owners can be.

The best way to reach me is by a call to 707-829-8185 or [email protected]. Be sure to include both your phone number and email.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Dog play at Kokopelli Farm

I heard about this "dog park" before but was told it is simply an unfenced private property, so while I appreciate your intentions, maybe you can explained your safety measures and guidelines. Thanks..

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I have a free dog park at Kokopelli Farm, which is slightly up from Hardcore Coffee, off Bloomfield Rd., in the Sebastopol countryside. All ages, sizes, and breeds of non-aggressive dogs are welcome to join the 50 lb. female Catahoula leopard hound to whom I am the human companion. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 08-04-2016 at 12:20 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    I heard about this "dog park" before but was told it is simply an unfenced private property, so while I appreciate your intentions, maybe you can explained your safety measures and guidelines. Thanks..
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened," wrote Anatole France. Soon after the dog Winnie adopted me nearly 4 years ago when we met at the Sebastopol Farm Market--when she was 12 weeks old--and then took up residence on Kokopelli Farm, I have seen that phrase, pasted to my computer, on most days of each year.

In response to the prior posting, it is true that this farm is simple and humble. Of the hundreds of dog visits that have been to Kokopelli Farm over the last 3 years, none have been hurt or bitten. I have seen dogs hurt and bitten at Ragle Dog Park. In fact, my dog was bitten and fortunately she did not bite back. So aggressive dogs are not welcome. However, assertive dogs are, unless they have a history of biting. Three-legged dogs are especially welcome. They add diversity, adaptability, and courage.

In terms of "safety," the motto of my farm is "First Do No Harm," which means to any of the living creatures, including yourself, and plants that dwell and visit here. I orient each person who wants to come and then arrives. The dangers on my farm, as well as most farms, are that one can get so involved that they hit a branch, which can hurt one in the eyes, or they trip on a gopher or badger hole.

I inform people that if they see a wild animal--like a bobcat, racoon, possum, etc.--to inform me right away. Most wild animals that I share this land with are nocturnal. So if they are out during the sunlight, especially if they are friendly to humans, they may be sick. The only real damage at the farm that I can remember happened before I got my dog. A neighbor's dog got into my chicken yard and killed some chickens. The problem was the human companion to the dog not being vigilant. My next-door neighbors do have chickens; he is a builder and has constructed strong fences and protection. Dogs that might attack chickens are not welcome. However, children who are able to walk are welcome.

I encourage visitors to keep their knees bent, since the joy of the dogs running around can result in a collision, which I have seen happen at Ragle Park. Sonoma State University, where I used to teach, has sent students to learn about farming and nature to my farm for the last 18 semesters. One person who came was legally blind, which meant that I had to supervise her the entire time. So we, unfortunately, do not allow people who are blind or arrive in high heels. I do have insurance.

A benefit of coming with a dog at this time of year is that we are currently gleaning berries and will soon be gleaning Golden Delicious and Rome Beauty apples. This means that when it becomes too expensive to pick the fruit, but there is still some on the vines and trees, people can come and pick for free. When one becomes a participant in our informal farm community, they can camp out here under the stars, redwoods, oaks, and with the other life forms that inhabit this rustic, old-fashioned, food-producing land.

It is true that this is private property that I have owned, operated, and shared for 24 years. It is not fully fenced, so dogs that tend to escape and run away from the pack that we create of the four-footeds and two-footeds who can run and play together might not want to take that risk. We have never lost a dog here, except to ecstasy and dancing around excitedly at the joy of being out in nature off leash.

I am a former U.S. Army officer who resigned his commission to protest the American War on Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. One of the 11 chapters in the book "Field Exercises: How Veterans Are Healing Themselves Through Farming and Outdoor Activities," by Stephanie Westlund, 2014, is about my farm and includes a photo of my dog and myself. Veterans and members of military families--such as mine, which gave our name to Ft. Bliss, Texas--are particularly welcome here as a place to recover from "moral injury." This is a term that I and some other vets prefer to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD.) We are not a disorder. We have been injured, from which one can recover and heal. For those who want to, we can sit around the table and converse about such issues, and the important role that animals can have in the lives of people.

I have also written about such issues in some of the 24 books that I have contributed to, which are available at the farm to look at while the dogs play. I have been told that the "Field Exercises" book is apparently available at the Sebastopol library. On the back cover of the book there is a man leading a horse. I have also been to trainings of how being with horses can be healing. My Marine brother, who moved from our family farm in Iowa to Oregon, cares for horses.
    Last edited by Shepherd; 08-07-2016 at 05:55 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Shepherd

My dog Winnie is looking for dogs interested in playing, either at our farm or elsewhere. She is good with non-aggressive dogs of all sizes, ages, and breeds. I can send a photo of her to those who might be interested. You can reach us at 829-8185, after 7 a.m., when I am done feeding her.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I have a free dog park at Kokopelli Farm, which is slightly up from Hardcore Coffee, off Bloomfield Rd., in the Sebastopol countryside. All ages, sizes, and breeds of non-aggressive dogs are welcome to join the 50 lb. female Catahoula leopard hound to whom I am the human companion. If you want a photo of my 6-colored 3-year-old dog, let me know, and I can send it to you.

Appointments can be made 7 days a week, starting as early as 7 a.m. and ending by dark. Your dog(s) must be accompanied by a two-footed, though not necessarily for the entire time. Children are welcome.

We have two regular times on Wednesdays—9 a.m. for small dog play and 4:15 for all sizes. Other times can be proposed. We also have regular outings to the beach.

The dogs have shaded and sunny places among the oaks and redwoods to choose from. Then they can run down the ten 200 foot rows of berries. Humans can pick free berries at this time of year. Once a pack has been formed and we feel secure, we can venture into the uplands of a marsh, which has all kinds of smells from the nocturnal animals.

Feel free to share this information with other dog lovers, whether they currently have dogs or not. I also want to recommend a DVD with a protective dog as hero—“Love Finds You in Valentine,” which I rented at the Video Store in Sebastopol. This ranch-based film, which also has horses, is “a tale of love, forgiveness, and new beginnings,” according to Dove.org. Some would consider it “sentimental,” which dogs and some of their owners can be.

The best way to reach me is by a call to 707-829-8185 or [email protected]. Be sure to include both your phone number and email.

7. Gratitude expressed by: