Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: My DNA Identity
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

My DNA Identity

Here Is The Project To Learn About Your Story

Since its launch in 2005, National Geographic’s Genographic Project has used advanced DNA analysis and worked with indigenous communities to help answer fundamental questions about where humans originated and how we came to populate the Earth. Now, cutting-edge technology is enabling us to shine a powerful newlight on our collective past. By participating in the latest phase of this real-time scientific project, you can learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. This is the human story and your unique genetic history.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did the DNA analysis and here is my personal DNA map:

Neanderthal: 1.0%
    Southern Europe (Mediterranean): 62%
    Western & Central Europe (France, Germany, etc): 25%
    African-American (Cuban slaves): 7%
    Native American (Caribbean Taino Tribe): 3%
    Northern Africa (Arabic ancestry): 2%
    Southern Asia (India): 2%

What is confusing is the tally of 102%. This is explained by the fact that the 1% Neanderthal is part of the DNA sequence of all Europeans, so my 1% is being counted two times. The other reason is that some of my DNA groupings are rounded upwards from half a percentage point. Not perfect but they are still working on it and the technology and research is getting better every year. The average human has approximately 2% Neanderthal DNA!

What surprised me the most is my 2% genetic markers from India! I had absolutely no idea that I had ANY ancestry from India. Surely, I must be related to Gandhi.

I knew that I had subsaharan African lineage (7% Black) but I did not know it was so high. I thought it would be 1, 2, maybe 3%.

Another surprise is that I have no Jewish ancestry or not enough to show up in my DNA. I was certain, from reinforced family rumors that there were Jews far back in my family history. There still may have been but if it is less than 1/2% then it may not show up.

A smaller surprise is that my Arabic background is only 2%. I thought it would be much higher than that being that I’m from long family lines that are firmly rooted in the Mediterranean (62%). I thought that my Arabic bloodline would have been closer to 10% or even higher.

My native American roots come from the Caribbean Taino tribe, which was the dominant tribe in Cuba, where both of my parents were born and raised. No surprise there other than that I thought the percentage would be higher, perhaps 10%-15%, or even more.

And finally, I did not expect my Germanic roots to run so deep, 25%! I knew that I had some Northern European bloodlines but I thought that it would be only about 5% or 10% or so.

If you are interested in finding out about your genetic history, go to the National Geographic website, The Genographic Project:

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com

It costs about $200 but I personally feel that it is totally worth it! I found my genetic history to be fascinating and enthusiastically shared it with my wife and daughter.

I knew since I was a child that I was a broader genetic mix than most people around the world. It is astonishing to see science show me exactly how genetically diverse I am. I never thought I would learn it so clearly. I always believed my understanding of my family's genetic history would be composed of a vague series of rumors.

If you decide to do it please don’t be shy about sharing. Be proud of who you are!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Re: My DNA

Here is the PDF image that National Geographic sent me of my DNA map:

infographic.pdf
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email