Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

The Barlow may have been sold to Napa developer

The following just went up on the Bohemian's Facebook page. I had been told by a reliable source about this sale, which she heard about from Barlow tenants. If this is true, it would not be likely to be good for Sebastopol and the West County, in my opinion. It would draw more tourists and much of the profit would go outside the city and county.

This does not yet appear to be a done deal. I would welcome hearing from those in Napa active in Wine and Water Watch (www.winewaterwatch.org) what they know about this Zapolski Real Estate, as well as from others about the possible sale, including current Barlow tenants. Barney has apparently been seeking to sell The Barlow in recent months.

First SoCo gets Napa vintners Paul Hobbs and Joe Wagner and perhaps now a major developer of tourism. Is this what Preserve Rural Sonoma County describes as the "Napafication" of SoCo?
    Shepherd

North Bay Bohemian

This just in: Zapolski Real Estate is in contract to purchase Sebastopol's Barlow center for an undisclosed sum. Zapolski is the developer behind several downtown Napa projects including the First Street outdoor retail development. The company also has several projects in North Carolina.

Company spokesman Andrew Mazotti said while they don't have a "hard deposit" on the Barlow deal, he sees great potential to take the retail space "to the next level." He says his company does not want to recreate Napa in Sebastopol, but rather build on the community of local retailers and makers and keep the Barlow a "unique destination." He added that he'd like to expand marketing activities and increase the length of visitors' stay with more public spaces and high energy events.

Meanwhile, Barlow tenants unhappy with fees they've been charged continue to negotiate with current developer Barney Aldridge. Mazotti said the tenants' grievances would not impact the decision to purchase the property.

He would not say when escrow closes, but hinted it's "soon." "We're optimistic about it," he says. We'll have more on this story as it develops.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: The Barlow may have been sold to Napa developer

Following is a response about Zapolski Real Estate, which may be buying the Barlow. It is from Dan of Napa Vision 2050:

"They're building a five story hotel and lots of retail space in the heart of Napa. They want the shopping to be spectacular and I'm guessing will includes the likes of coach Prada etc. Real clothes for wine country living!!"
    Last edited by Barry; 06-29-2016 at 01:08 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    beshiva

this is so disgusting- what more can one say, except-
    I Can't wait to get out of Sonoma County. So much for sweet West County. Hey, let's Build Two Mega Hotels, not just one. if you think that's not coming, think again.
    If it isn't the Wine Industry building more Event Centers, and big developers, building more Hotels, maybe, we need a Mall about now!
    . Get Yur life-jackets out- we are drowning here!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    North Bay Bohemian

This just in: Zapolski Real Estate is in contract to purchase Sebastopol's Barlow center for an undisclosed sum. Zapolski is the developer behind several downtown Napa projects including the First Street outdoor retail development. The company also has several projects in North Carolina. ...

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I don't know of any "mega hotels" coming to Sebastopol. The one that was planned for the Barlow had 85 rooms. Last I heard that wasn't happening. I think it was a flood plain issue. There is interest in building a much smaller one on the old lumber yard by the plaza.I believe the working idea is that would have ground level retail (or other non-hotel use).

I'm ok with that level of new hotel rooms. Think about it: Tourists don't come because of hotels. If they want to come and they can't find a hotel room, they will be looking for an airbnb room. So supplying more hotel rooms lowers the demand for airbnb rooms, that might otherwise be rented out to locals.

Additionally, hotels contribute mightily to the local economy. There's a 9% Transient Occupancy Tax, plus they spend a bunch of money in town, including on art.

The Barlow is an already existing development. We're not talking about plonking down another wine event center in the greenbelt outside of civic services on open land, such as the Dairyman Winery. The Barlow is a pretty groovy place in my opinion (granted it's not a biodynamic farm). While it seems ok as is, I could see how some fresh blood and money might be helpful and make it yet a nicer more inviting place for us locals. I note that the developer was interested in "more public spaces and high energy events" which sounds fine by me.

Furthermore, I believe the Barlow is not zoned for general retail. It supposed to be focus on locally produced goods.

It remains to be seen what the new owner would do, but I don't see this as a problem just yet.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    this is so disgusting...Hey, let's Build Two Mega Hotels, not just one. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-30-2016 at 10:59 AM.

8. TopTop #5
    gypsey

Thanks Barry for a sane and sound response. Successful devleopers of niche markets (we are one, so is Napa, Healdsburg is another) capitalize on their uniqueness and what the target audience wants , so I don't see us becoming Napafied anytime soon---our visitors and demographic base aren't looking for that. At the same time, I've felt the Barlow could definitely need improvement to bring it up to the next level. Fingers crossed that Zapolski is a good fit. And in the meantime, open minds would be wonderful.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-02-2016 at 10:58 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from the Press Democrat. July 2:
    The Barlow in Sebastopol up for sale to Napa developer Todd Zopalski
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5795036-181/the-barlow-in-sebastopol-up?artslide=0
    MARY CALLAHAN

For the second time in eight months, a high-profile Napa developer is under contract to buy The Barlow marketplace in Sebastopol, a $42 million artisanal food, wine and retail center that opened at the eastern gateway to town three years ago.

It’s still unclear whether Todd Zopalski, credited with helping to reshape downtown Napa, will take ownership of the project through his real estate firm.

The company failed to follow through on acquisition of the downtown property last fall and missed a Friday deadline to close the latest tentative deal. It secured a last-minute, weeklong extension on the purchase agreement, according to Barney Aldridge, developer and managing partner of The Barlow.

Aldridge transformed the 12.5-acre commercial site — once home to an apple processing plant — a key west county destination and city revenue source. He signaled that he is a reluctant seller and said he would “continue to own it, manage it and love it” until a sales contract has been signed.

A spokesman for Zopalski Real Estate, acquisitions director Andrew Mazotti, said only that the firm was still evaluating the proposed purchase.

“We are hopeful and optimistic that we will purchase (it), but can’t say for sure yet,” Mazotti said via email Friday.

No purchase price was disclosed.

The Barlow, built on the Highway 12 site of a landmark apple cannery, revitalized an all-but-abandoned industrial zone into an upscale district featuring an eclectic array of more than 50 eateries, tasting rooms, boutiques and galleries.

Farmhouse-themed buildings, public lawns and fire pits have made the space popular for public gatherings, like occasional concerts and seasonal Thursday-night summer markets scheduled to start up this month.
    Aldridge had a proposed boutique hotel in the works when he solicited help from outside investors two years ago and again last year. He had hoped, he said, to buy out his major partner, his former wife, when Zopalski bid on the entire property. Aldridge entertained the offer, he said, in deference to his ex-wife.

Rumors of a pending sale around the town of 7,000 have generated chatter and concern over what it might mean for the commercial complex.

Zopalski’s control of six square blocks around Napa’s First Street contributed to a rival of the city’s downtown.
    Some fear he may be seeking a toehold in Sebastopol with plans to extend his influence further.

Mazotti said the firm has no such plans and would not seek to impose substantial changes on The Barlow or its tenants.

But skeptics have lobbed a pejorative into the mix, raising the specter of “Napafication” to characterize high-traffic, tourist-oriented commercial development that many in the west county area deem anathema to their lifestyle.

Sebastopol Mayor Sarah Glade Gurney said there already is a sense in town that The Barlow caters to outsiders and has failed to win over local consumers.

“I think the concern is the whole idea of the Napafication of Sebastopol and Sonoma County, where there’s so much emphasis on wine tasting, wine cuisine, wine tourism, and I don’t think that sits well with people here,” Gurney said. “We really seek to be unique and genuine and authentic as a community, and just being more of the big wine industry wouldn’t do it for us.”

In response, Mazotti said any purchase deal would seek to add to — and not dramatically alter — what already exists at The Barlow.

“They have a mission, and they have a focus, and behind the retailers is a great message and a great story,” he said. “I’ve personally never seen anything like that. It’s just such a unique, one-of-a-kind place, and we see the potential in trying to move forward and build on the potential that they’ve created.”

You can reach Staff Writer Mary Callahan at 521-5249 or [email protected]. On Twitter @MaryCallahanB.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Shepherd

I am including the link to the PD article, in case anyone wants to respond. I appreciate the following quote from Sebastopol Mayor Gurney in the article below.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5795036-181/the-barlow-in-sebastopol-up?artslide=0

Sebastopol Mayor Sarah Glade Gurney said there already is a sense in town that The Barlow caters to outsiders and has failed to win over local consumers.

“I think the concern is the whole idea of the Napafication of Sebastopol and Sonoma County, where there’s so much emphasis on wine tasting, wine cuisine, wine tourism, and I don’t think that sits well with people here,” Gurney said. “We really seek to be unique and genuine and authentic as a community, and just being more of the big wine industry wouldn’t do it for us.”

13. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

14. TopTop #8

This is very disturbing and another example of how affluent, for profit only, and often out of town landlords control and influence communities. Several years ago I watched the beginning of the demise of the Mom and Pop businesses in downtown Berkeley. And this trend continues today. Greedy landlords raised rents to exorbitant amounts driving out local, community based businesses . It didn't help when the City of Berkeley, for example, chose to give the City's stationary supply business to Staples and not the local stationary store that had been in town for years. To add insult to injury, when storefronts sat vacant for months and months at a time,, residents had to travel further to make purchases while the landlords got tax write-offs. There was (and is) absolutely no personal or community based incentive to support the needs of the neighborhood. And of course, who were the eventual new tenants.....Verizon, Staples, Target.......need I say more?

I appreciate the opportunity to have a dialogue about this issue. What can we do as members of this community to stop the Napafication of Sebastopol and take control of our town?

15. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Icssoma

the barlow was supposed to be a mix of light industry (guyaki fits that mold), haven't seen or heard of anything else that does.
    there are billboards for the barlow in sr, sf (lombard st), & it is becoming a destination, as opposed to the kind of tourism that is fostered by farm trails, & benefits us locally.
    painful to see some of the history of sebastopol business decisions-- the difficulty w. o'reily building (then moving much of their headquarters because the current space doesn't accommodate them), amy's not getting a local space for production of healthier fast food, cvs downtown, even though the town tried to oppose it.
    the barlow is beginning to become a local destination wedding space.
    it is now trendy w. tourists one can't change that.
    we can vote daily with our $.
    surely there is a way to get barlow back on track to its promise of light industry mix (the restaurants, shops, wine businesses are already there). perhaps someone more familiar with enforcement of the barlow promise can propose some paths to begin to return the barlow to its original promise.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-04-2016 at 11:59 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

18. TopTop #10
    gypsey

Actually one of my concerns about the Barlow from the beginning has been the architecture /design ? of grid like Quonset huts which have no relationship to Sebastopol streetscapes or history. Then there's the actual functionality and interface for visitors: ever tried to find a place you are visiting for the first time? Almost impossible.
    To sum up, the Barlow is riddled with flaws. Yet, now, b/c we embraced it, it is ours. So I ask you, community, what are we protecting? What do we want to see happen here?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-04-2016 at 12:00 PM.

19. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

20. TopTop #11
    Thad

Hey, where do those 1%'ers live?
    Do any of them live here in Sebastopol or surrounds, who like the idea of quaint but relevant?

Maybe one of them who was cool could buy Sebastopol
    Last edited by Barry; 07-04-2016 at 12:00 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    scamperwillow

There is other industry there:
    Bronzeworks
    Woodfour brewing
    Spirit works distilling
    Taylor Maid coffee roasting
    Costa Brown winery
    others I';m not thinking of, but I also wonder about the retail businesses there. I though they weren't allowed under the permit.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Icssoma: View Post
    the barlow was supposed to be a mix of light industry (guyaki fits that mold), haven't seen or heard of anything else that does....
    surely there is a way to get barlow back on track to its promise of light industry mix....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-05-2016 at 07:33 PM.

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13
    Shepherd

Proposed sale of Sebastopol’s Barlow center called off, at least for now
    MARY CALLAHAN, THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | July 8, 2016,

The proposed sale of the 12½-acre Barlow marketplace in Sebastopol has been called off, at least for the moment, after the would-be buyers failed to close the deal by the appointed Friday deadline, according to founder Barney Aldridge.

Napa-based Zapolski Real Estate had been under contract to buy the artisanal food, beverage and retail center on Highway 12 but, after securing a one-week extension July 1, was unable to meet its new deadline, Aldridge said.

Aldridge, The Barlow’s managing partner, was not in favor of selling but said he entertained the offer in deference to his principal partner — his former wife.

Now that the sale contract has been terminated, “I’m very glad it’s over,” he said.

However, a spokesman for Zapolski Real Estate, acquisitions director Andrew Mazotti, said his firm was “still working hard” to put together a sale, though unresolved issues prevented them from finalizing a purchase Friday.
    “We’re still committed to the deal,” Mazotti said. “We are still trying to salvage something here. So I think it would be premature to say it’s all done.”

The 3-year-old market, built on the site of a landmark apple canning factory run by the Barlow family, is now home to more than 50 boutiques, eateries, tasting rooms and art vendors that have transformed a former industrial zone into a tourist destination with echoes of its agricultural past.

Aldridge, who said he and his partner have sunk about $42 million into the property, also has aired proposals for a hotel and had solicited investors when Zapolski and its principle, Todd Zapolski, first expressed interest in buying the project about eight months ago.

Mazotti said the firm never entered into agreement but was seriously evaluating the property, finally entering into a contract to buy The Barlow this year.

He said The Barlow’s unique collection of local retail, art and production spaces would complement the upscale, “Napa-esque” retail properties it has or is developing in Napa, where Zapolski controls a large section of retail sites and is widely hailed for a vision that is helping to reshape downtown.

But the prospect of a Napa firm buying The Barlow had some in Sebastopol concerned about the area’s “Napafication,” in addition to creating uncertainty for those who do business in The Barlow, Aldridge said.

“I’m happy this distraction is over,” he said Friday. “I have a renewed appreciation for The Barlow project, and I’m looking forward to getting back to work on it.”
    Last edited by Barry; 07-09-2016 at 06:21 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: