Most times we're not told about the side effects of medications (drugs) given to our pets, and of course, never see the inserts that are included and discarded.

I learned the hard way, to find out about potential side effects when my cat reacted to an ear cleaning with Tresaderm. Her pupils were different sizes, and and couldn't stand without falling over​. I brought her back in immediately, and she was then given a drug to reverse the effects, to which she also had a reaction, the answer was more drugs.

It's a mistake to blindly trust that the drugs given to your pet will not produce a serious side effect, and you should know what those might be. I was never told about any possible side effect. Of course, I never asked because it didn't occur to me.

I suggest that whenever your pet is going to be given drugs, that you ask for the potential side effects "in writing", so you know what to look for. You can't trust your memory on this; it's too important.

There's a popular heartworm preventative that's being given to dogs, that's having the side effects of "death". That one is "TRIFLEXIS", and should be taken off the market, but it won't be, until a larger number of dogs die from it. Don't let your dog be a warning statistic. You can do a search, or look at the report on VitalAnimal/com
by Dr. Will Falconner, DVM

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Treatment with fewer than 6 monthly doses after the last exposure to mosquitoes may not provide complete heartworm prevention. Prior to administration of Interceptor® Plus (milbemycin oxime/praziquantel), dogs should be tested for existing heartworm infections. The safety of Interceptor® Plus has not been evaluated in dogs used for breeding or in lactating females. The following adverse reactions have been reported in dogs after administration of milbemycin oxime or praziquantel: vomiting, diarrhea, depression/lethargy, ataxia, anorexia, convulsions, weakness, and salivation. Please see full Interceptor® Plus product informationfor more details or contact your veterinarian to see if Interceptor® Plus is right for your dog.