Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Investigative Reporter

Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor Race Launches to Inform Voters

​In keeping with our "Informing to Empower" mission, the public interest website the SonomaIndependent.org just launched our 2016 Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor race here. Noreen Evans, Lynda Hopkins, Marion Chase and Tim Sergent all participated by answering the same 12 questions, regarding some of the most challenging issues facing our community. Listen and decide for yourself which of the five excellent supervisor candidates you think is most worthy of your vote. (Tom Lynch declined to participate).

Watch, enjoy, share, comment--and vote!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-21-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Dustyg

Re: Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor Race Launches to Inform Voters

Excellent idea to present in this way. I've now made up my mind. Just one observation, why is it that people nowadays start most sentences with the word "So..." before going on with their thought? It's quite common now....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    ​In keeping with our "Informing to Empower" mission, the public interest website the SonomaIndependent.org just launched our 2016 Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor race here. ..
    Last edited by Barry; 05-22-2016 at 09:29 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    mouse

Re: Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor Race Launches to Inform Voters

Thanks so much for posting this.

​In keeping with our "Informing to Empower" mission, the public interest website the SonomaIndependent.org just launched our 2016 Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor race here. Noreen Evans, Lynda Hopkins, Marion Chase and Tim Sergent all participated by answering the same 12 questions, regarding some of the most challenging issues facing our community. Listen and decide for yourself which of the five excellent supervisor candidates you think is most worthy of your vote. (Tom Lynch declined to participate).

5. TopTop #4
    mouse

It seems that most of the candidates agree more or less on the issues presented in the video conference.

But I still can't get past the fact that Hopkins got the bulk of her funding from the county's power brokers and large businesses, mostly from the 4th District. That bothers me so much. It's nice that she talks about the environment "as a Mom" and all, but as a taxpayer in the 5th District, I don't see how she could take all of that river damaging Syar gravel mining money without flinching.

Hopkins and Evans (who talks about how much she has served "the community" but leaves out the part about it wasn't in the 5th District), seem like energetic people, but they are running for office in the wrong place.

The 4th District should not be allowed to buy the representation of the 5th District, which is in essence what the Hopkins campaign is trying to accomplish. Hopkins's campaign is funded by large businesses from outside of this district. The 5th district's supervisor vote is going to be really important if we expect the keep control of development, gravel mining, and business expansion in our towns. I suppose that's why Syar, Waste Management, Big Ag, are spending so much to try to secure it for themselves.

Please do not vote to let the 4th District buy our county supervisor's vote out from under the residents of the 5th district. The 5th District Supervisor must have the interest of the 5th District at heart 100% of the time, not just during election season.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-22-2016 at 08:54 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #5
    kpage9

Dusty has hit on one of my too-many linguistic pet peeves. "So" comes through to me as yet another arrogant millennial assumption that they already have our attention, and that whatever comes after "so" is relevant to the discussion that preceded it. "So" actually means "therefore". My calmer self understands that this is just a verbal convention, a ticcish substitute for the good old "Well" as a beginning to a thought.

crotchetilly (adverb form of crotchety .....anyone got a better way to put it?)
    kathy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    ... Just one observation, why is it that people nowadays start most sentences with the word "So..." before going on with their thought? It's quite common now....
    Last edited by Barry; 05-22-2016 at 08:28 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    Just one observation, why is it that people nowadays start most sentences with the word "So..." before going on with their thought? It's quite common now....
    you're not the first to think so (sorrry).
    I heard it's associated with techies..

"In his 2001 book The New New Thing, Michael Lewis noted that programmers always started their answers with "so." That's around the time when I first heard it, working at a Silicon Valley research center."
    but he goes on:

Quote Starting sentences with "so" isn't a trend or a thing. However it may strike you, people aren't doing it any more frequently than they were 50 or 100 years ago. The only difference is that back then nobody had much of a problem with it. When F. Scott Fitzgerald's editor Maxwell Perkins sat down with him to go over the manuscript of The Great Gatsby, he didn't say: "Scott — this last line. 'So, we beat on, boats against the current' etc. etc.? I think we need to go with 'thus.' "
    https://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/43273...ntence-with-so
    it's a bad habit of mine, too..

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Investigative Reporter

Watch 5th District Supervisor Video Debate and Decide for Yourself How to Vote

There has been a lot written about the Evans'Hopkins race.

Watch there videos on the
    2016 Candidates Video Debate for 5th District Supervisor race here. Noreen Evans, Lynda Hopkins, Marion Chase and Tim Sergent all participated by answering the same 12 questions, regarding some of the most challenging issues facing our community. Listen and decide for yourself which of the five excellent supervisor candidates you think is most worthy of your vote. (Tom Lynch was not available to participate).

12. Gratitude expressed by: