Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Jude Iam

Who orchestrated the defeat of Prop 37? (label GMOs)

dear waccos -

yesterday, i came across a bit of info and i don't recall where… and don't know if it's true.

can anyone confirm or deny that lynda hopkins campaign manager
    Herman G. Hernandez
    is the same person who managed the defeat of Prop 37
    - Sonoma County peoples bid to get/keep our county organic.
    just wondering… tried finding out and could not.

thanks, jude
    Last edited by Barry; 06-21-2016 at 02:06 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    KatyO459

Re: Who orchestrated the defeat of Prop 37? (label GMOs)

Hopkins backed financially by Realtors PAC ?
    True?/False,..mostly KBProperties of MillValley/KB Homes????
    Last edited by Barry; 06-21-2016 at 02:06 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Zeno Swijtink

It's false.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jude Iam: View Post
    yesterday, i came across a bit of info and i don't recall where… and don't know if it's true.

can anyone confirm or deny that lynda hopkins campaign manager
    Herman G. Hernandez
    is the same person who managed the defeat of Prop 37
    - Sonoma County peoples bid to get/keep our county organic.
    just wondering… tried finding out and could not.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-22-2016 at 11:37 AM.

5. TopTop #4
    sohemi

First, Herman is one of the most genuine and caring people I have met. Second, I am deeply troubled that someone on WACCO would through out a generalized and unsubstantiated rumor like this.

6. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

7. TopTop #5
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Marion, I agree with you about Herman but need to say that the person who posted had heard the rumor and asked if anyone knew if it was true. Seems fairly unlikely since it was big ag who put in $45m to defeat it.

OK, but this is how bullshit rumors start. People believe what they want to believe, even if it's bullshit like this.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Jude Iam

so,
    having posed the question (NOTE: it was a question) i will speak up here -
    addressing those "deeply troubled" and repeatedly invoking "bullshit" -

Prop. 37 was defeated by the financial support and ag organizing of the Farm Bureau - i know: we picketed in from of the Santa Rosa Farm Bureau building.The Farm Bureau was a contributor and staunch supporter of Lynda's.

then, I read that her campaign manager was involved in defeating 37...
    noticing a pattern, i posed the question to this community. that's how we share information, learn together, progress. right? onwards.peace yawl, jude
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    OK, but this is how bullshit rumors start. People believe what they want to believe, even if it's bullshit like this.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jude Iam: View Post
    so,
    having posed the question (NOTE: it was a question) i will speak up here -
    addressing those "deeply troubled" and repeatedly invoking "bullshit" -

Prop. 37 was defeated by the financial support and ag organizing of the Farm Bureau - i know: we picketed in from of the Santa Rosa Farm Bureau building.The Farm Bureau was a contributor and staunch supporter of Lynda's.

then, I read that her campaign manager was involved in defeating 37...
    noticing a pattern, i posed the question to this community. that's how we share information, learn together, progress. right? onwards.peace yawl, jude

So, Jude, first you say Hernandez "orchestrated" the defeat of 37, now you retreat a bit and say "involved". Sounds like you believe your own bullshit.

I heard Noreen Evans can write the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin. Now go spread that rumor.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    O.W.

I remember this election cycle and it was then, former Farm Bureau president Lex McCorvey who told the press that livestock would die without access to GMO'd medicines with the initiative as written. After the measure was narrowly defeated, he retracted the statement an apologized for the false information. I don't remember hearing from Hernandez at the time.

You might have noticed in the PD the current pro GMO articles and letters to the editor that are coming in. The wine industry wants the new initiative to fail because they want the option for GMO'd vines. They believe that this will cut down on chemical use (over 2,221,000 pounds of chemicals in vineyards in 2014 alone see: www.cdpr.ca.gov). If you look at the same site you will see that glyphosate use (RoundUp) goes up dramatically each year here. In 2013, 84,000 pounds were used in vineyards according to the same state site.

Kids loose out. Don't wonder why Sonoma County has the 3rd highest child cancer rates in the state (www.kidsdata.org) with Napa 1st . Last years grape pullout in the PD had figures on organic and biodynamic wineries in our county. It looked like we had a decent amount that were not poisoning us. Actually if the figures were done in acreage we are about 2% organic and biodynamic certified.

When I see chemical usage like this, I drive by vineyards "Sustainable" signs and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I am voting to approve the ban on GMO's.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-05-2016 at 07:28 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

from the Press Democrat, 7/5/16:

A promising technology
    EDITOR: Karl Forsyth (“Why a local GMO ban makes sense,” Close to Home, June 26) begins his advocacy for a total GMO ban by saying that “truth is not a fear tactic.” He then claims that “cross-pollination of organic crops (by GMO pollen) renders (organic) crops worthless.” Not so. It only disqualifies the seeds derived from such pollination from the organic marketplace.
    Forsyth quotes Bob Watson as saying that GMO crops (alone) could not solve world hunger. Here is a more complete quote from Watson: “Over the next 20 to 50 years, there will be … more demand for food … it is a very challenging situation, which … could become a nightmare scenario. We have to look at all the technologies, policies and practices, all forms of bio-tech, including GM.” As to his fears of gene transfer, Forsyth cites a study that proves only that transgene DNA can withstand digestive enzymes, not that it has transferred to gut bacteria or to the cells of a human host.
    Misunderstood biology and quotes out of context are not this reader’s idea of “truth.” Citizens for Healthy Farms and Families ought to craft measures aimed at specific GMO products for logical reasons, not try to ban a promising (and possibly quite necessary) technology.

ANDREW JAHN
    Ukiah

16. TopTop #10
    Shepherd

I appreciate O.W. for remembering and reminding us of these details. The Sonoma County Farm Bureau--which this farmer used to be a member of and has more non-farmer members than farmer members--has done a lot of damage in recent years. Note the apology that the FB president had to make. The Napa Farm Bureau, on the other hand, with President Norma Tofanelli--a 4th generation farmer & wine grape grower--has done a lot of good for both the ag and environmental communities.

If one goes to the Wine & Water Watch website (www.winewaterwatch.org) you can find information on the vineyards and wineries that are truly organic and really "sustainable," as well as other important information on this over-grown industry, which threatens food ag here in Sonoma County with its monocrop controlling and threatening our economy, with its likelihood to soon bust, as part of the boom-and-bust cycle.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by O.W.: View Post
    I remember this election cycle ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-06-2016 at 09:36 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #11
    rossmen

Could you please share more about the results you cite from kidsdata? I tried unsuccessfully to replicate, because I love numbers and have great respect for the beauty and danger of stats, and I live next to a conventional vineyard for a long time, where many children are raised.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by O.W.: View Post
    ...Don't wonder why Sonoma County has the 3rd highest child cancer rates in the state (www.kidsdata.org) with Napa 1st . ...

19. TopTop #12
    O.W.

Sure, here is the link that will get you there. kidsdata.org/topic/245/cancer/table . You know you have options when they spray don't you? If they are spraying glyphosate for instance they have to stay out of the area and it has to be dry for 4 hours. Maui has just about stopped all RoundUp spraying as the applicators are not using proper application methods and have found it close to impossible to spray now. Look up their tactics and protect your children.

A 1950's California state law that gives you the power on spraying that gets on your property is: https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/legbill...0201.htm#a6614 . Goes to the Ag commissioner and he has to investigate. Good luck!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Could you please share more about the results you cite from kidsdata? I tried unsuccessfully to replicate, because I love numbers and have great respect for the beauty and danger of stats, and I live next to a conventional vineyard for a long time, where many children are raised.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #13
    Shepherd

From the following 2005 San Francisco Chronicle article, Rob Muelrath, currently Lynda Hopkins' campaign consultant, contributed to the defeat of the Measure M GMO ban back in 2005.

https://www.gmwatch.org/news/archive...group-11112005
    Critics of Measure M included the Sonoma County Farm Bureau, the directors of the Sonoma County Grape Growers Association, and the Santa Rosa and Petaluma chambers of commerce.

"I believe that the electorate spoke out for agriculture in Sonoma County," said Rob Muelrath, a consultant for the opposition, "and that family farmers and ranchers in Sonoma County will continue to have the choices they need to sustain their operations."
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2016 at 10:42 AM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: