Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    gratonite

What Do You Know About Grassroots Candidate Tim Sergent?

ExpandThe local press seems to want to limit the information we get about the entire field of candidates running for 5th District Supervisor. There are five candidates, but the Press Democrat only discusses two of them. This bothers me. I see history repeating itself and I thought I should speak up. (Also, it's just time we get the quarry-funded candidate's name off of the top of this page, and give someone else a turn.)

Here are a few of candidate Tim Sergent's resume highlights that voters may want to consider as they make informed decisions at the ballot box.

• He is a US Army veteran.
    • He put himself through school, attended Santa Rosa Junior College, then transferred to and graduated from UC Berkeley.
    • He served as a Congressional Liaison in Washington DC. (He bounced back from that I believe)
    • He came home to Forestville after that; he's lived in the 5th district for almost 20 years.
    • He's been public school Teacher at Maria Carrillo High School for 10 years. (You lead a classroom full of freshmen, you have a fighting chance with that Sonoma County Board of Supes!)
    • He works full-time while running this truly grassroots campaign.
    • Plays guitar and speaks Spanish even.
    • His campaign is been funded solely by his own teacher's salary and the small donations from regular working people in the community.
    In addition to a pretty sweet resume, he has a real sense of this community, who we are, what we value, and an ability to cooperate and lead. He has not taken money from the big dogs, so if he is elected he won't owe them (unlike the two whose names I just don't feel like saying anymore). He is not just 'for us,' he's one of us.

The 5th district is full of smart people who read up and make informed decisions. I thought I'd give you all a bit more food for thought.

https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com/about_tim
    Last edited by Barry; 05-14-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Momof2

Re: What Do You Know About Grassroots Candidate Tim Sergent?

Agreed! I am sick of deleting that other thread from my in-box!

I heard Tim Sergent give his opening statement in the debate last night, and in Spanish. How refreshing is that! Not a prepared statement by a speech writer and not FB posts done by paid staff in the audience while the would be Supervisors are still on the panel answering questions from the audience.

I wonder how with no polling the Press Democrat can call people front runners in today's newspaper? It's all about the money! And with over $150k raised by two candidates who's expensive glossy direct mail pieces just hit my mailbox, it does appear that the money at least buys more editorial time as well. I don't plan to chose who I vote for by money raised or glossy advertising.

Thanks for the new thread and the new thoughts -it's about time someone else spoke up!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    gratonite

From Press Democrat article:
    https://tinyurl.com/zegka3z

Hopkins: $138,012
    Evans: $111,615
    Sergent: $10,407
    Lynch: $1,670
    Chase: $100
    Some of these are grassroots campaigns...some are clearly not.

Last edited by Barry; 05-14-2016 at 11:14 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    mouse

How would Tim Sergent deal with Sonoma County roads? I read one candidate wants 'pot for potholes.'
    (I think fixing potholes is a joke though--they county has been putting tar in potholes forever--the roads are still beyond filling potholes.)
    Last edited by Barry; 05-16-2016 at 11:34 AM.

8. TopTop #5
    Momof2

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mouse: View Post
    How would Tim Sergent deal with Sonoma County roads?...
    As reported in the Press Democrat on March 9, 2016, it was reported, his position was:

"Sergent said he is running to fix the county’s roads, rein in public employee pension costs and increase access to higher education for high school students.

“Part of my drive into politics is to fix these fundamental issues,” said Sergent, 49.

Sergent said he’d scour the county’s $1.45 billion budget for additional road repair dollars, as well as consider asking voters to approve a specific tax dedicated to roads."
    Last edited by Barry; 05-16-2016 at 11:35 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    gratonite

You have a better option, 5th District. Don't hold your nose and vote for the carpetbaggers bought and paid for by the special interests.

Vote for Tim Sergent. He has experience and is one of us. He's lived in this district for twenty years and he's running a real grassroots campaign. Bonus: he is the only candidate with a job!
    https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com/

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    mouse

Hey 5th District...our representative ought to represent us! (Not big construction interests, Ratto Group/Waste Management, Syar... https://tinyurl.com/zdoprpv This is a must read for 5th District voters.)

Tim Sergent is a local man with a plan, experience, and a job! How about that. How great would it be to elect somebody based on merit alone instead of how much corporate funding they can amass? That would send a clear message to the powers that be, huh?

Tell the 4th District* they cannot buy our seat at the table. Vote for Tim Sergent.

*Hopkins’ majority contributions have come from out of the Fifth District and from development interest. She has more contributions from the Fourth District than the Fifth District.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    mouse

Are you all aware that Hopkins has taken more funding from the 4th District than from the 5th?

I can't stand the idea that the 4th district is going to buy our voice right out from under us....
    Last edited by Barry; 05-21-2016 at 11:31 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Erik Perez

I am still leaning towards voting for Noreen Evans, but I do like what Tim stands for. (https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com) It bothers me that Lynda Hopkins has taken so much money from outside the district, recently moved into the district from the 4th, claims to be an "organic farmer" (even though her livelihood is clearly being supplemented), and she is being funded by the conservative groups of Sonoma County; yet she still continues to be liked by many people who I would consider to be "progressive."

Her campaign is inconsistent with every position she takes. As a so called "organic farmer" it took her nearly two months to decide if she was in favor or against GMO's. She made her position on rent control clear only after the Santa Rosa City Council voted in favor of it. And most recently she touts herself as being a protectorate of the Russian River, yet she has no problem taking thousands of dollars from those that have destroyed it (I'm waiting to hear what her position is going to be on gravel mining in the Russian River). I'm not sure if she's deceptive, or just plain stupid!

That all being said, I really like that Tim is truly from the 5th, he speaks from his heart, and I believe he truly is passionate about representing us if he was our supervisor. I don't believe I could say the same about ANY other candidate, Noreen included.

I'm going to hold onto my absentee ballot all the way up to Election Day. I'm looking forward to learning more about Tim and possibly shifting my support from Noreen.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-21-2016 at 11:17 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #10
    mouse

If all the voters kept an open mind, did some research, and paid attention like you are, I'd feel confident that we're choosing the right person.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Erik Perez: View Post
    I am still leaning towards voting for Noreen Evans, but I do like what Tim stands for. (https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com) ...

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #11
    gratonite

For anybody still undecided and looking for helpful information, rather than junk mail...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gratonite: View Post
    ExpandThe local press seems to want to limit the information we get about the entire field of candidates running for 5th District Supervisor. There are five candidates, but the Press Democrat only discusses two of them. This bothers me. I see history repeating itself and I thought I should speak up. (Also, it's just time we get the quarry-funded candidate's name off of the top of this page, and give someone else a turn.)

Here are a few of candidate Tim Sergent's resume highlights that voters may want to consider as they make informed decisions at the ballot box.

• He is a US Army veteran.
    • He put himself through school, attended Santa Rosa Junior College, then transferred to and graduated from UC Berkeley.
    • He served as a Congressional Liaison in Washington DC. (He bounced back from that I believe)
    • He came home to Forestville after that; he's lived in the 5th district for almost 20 years.
    • He's been public school Teacher at Maria Carrillo High School for 10 years. (You lead a classroom full of freshmen, you have a fighting chance with that Sonoma County Board of Supes!)
    • He works full-time while running this truly grassroots campaign.
    • Plays guitar and speaks Spanish even.
    • His campaign is been funded solely by his own teacher's salary and the small donations from regular working people in the community.
    In addition to a pretty sweet resume, he has a real sense of this community, who we are, what we value, and an ability to cooperate and lead. He has not taken money from the big dogs, so if he is elected he won't owe them (unlike the two whose names I just don't feel like saying anymore). He is not just 'for us,' he's one of us.

The 5th district is full of smart people who read up and make informed decisions. I thought I'd give you all a bit more food for thought.

https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com/about_tim

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    Shandi

He's the person I'd vote for.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gratonite: View Post
    You have a better option, 5th District. Don't hold your nose and vote for the carpetbaggers bought and paid for by the special interests.

Vote for Tim Sergent. He has experience and is one of us. He's lived in this district for twenty years and he's running a real grassroots campaign. Bonus: he is the only candidate with a job!
    https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com/

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13
    Shandi

Erik, Why not vote for someone who stands for what you value? Is someone a "misfit" for politics if they speak from their heart? We have a presidential candidate who's doing the same thing. Why consider either of the other candidates, for supervisor or for president? "Deceptive" doesn't usually equate to "dumb", or stupid.
    More than likely, just the opposite.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Erik Perez: View Post
    I am still leaning towards voting for Noreen Evans, but I do like what Tim stands for. (https://www.sergentforsupervisor.com) ....
    Last edited by Barry; 06-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.