Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Greenwashing in the 5th District Race?

There is a well know saying in Spanish " Dime Con Quien Andas y Te Dire Quien Eres" . Loosely translated this means " tell me who you go with and I'll tell you who you are"

Read the PD article and see why some of the Farm to Table organic rhetoric pushed by the Hopkins campaign is in stark contrast to the people who are backing her (including her Republican consultant Rob Muelrath). The real estate development lobby, big money wineries and the Sonoma County Business Alliance don't back green and progressive candidates. They back those who will support their interests. Wake up and smell the Greenwashing

Field set in pivotal 5th District race for Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: Greenwashing in the 5th District Race?

Iisa, as a long time employee and supporter of labor groups in soco I understand why you advocate for Noreen and trash her best known competition. Just want everyone else here to know this too.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    There is a well know saying in Spanish " Dime Con Quien Andas y Te Dire Quien Eres" . Loosely translated this means " tell me who you go with and I'll tell you who you are"
    Field set in pivotal 5th District race for Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
    Last edited by Barry; 04-05-2016 at 08:38 AM.

4. TopTop #3

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Iisa, as a long time employee and supporter of labor groups in soco I understand why you advocate for Noreen and trash her best known competition. Just want everyone else here to know this too.
    Rossman I am very lucky to work for the labor movement and proud to work for seiu1021 in particular. I have never shied away from who I am and what I do. I have the privilege to work for the working class and working people in the North Bay and I am not trying to hide it. Indeed unlike yourself and many others on this board I post under my real name so people can know exactly who I am and where I am coming from. You could easily be someone from the real estate PAC on here trashing Noreen Evans (I just read your second post) but we have no way of knowing since you post anonymously.

I'm not sure why you think my comments were " trashing" as I simply pointed out that the Sonoma Business Alliance PAC, the Real Estate PAC, and rich winery owners like Puma Valley Vineyards are some of the interests who are financially supporting and endorsing Lynda Hopkins. Meanwhile the North Bay Labor Council, seiu 1021, the Coalition for a Better Sonoma County and the Sierra Club and Sonoma County Conservation Action are supporting Noreen Evans. These are FACTS. Also true is the fact that Lynda is using Efren Carrillo's former political consultant(and Republican) Rob Muelrath. If telling the truth about Hopkins big business backers offends you I am sorry. But I notice you don't take issue with the FACTS. You do not dispute that these people are indeed her supporters and it is unlikely that business and developer interests like these support her for her "organic" philosophy.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-05-2016 at 08:39 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

6. TopTop #4
    tommy

This is an unfair and unkind characterization of Lisa. She works long and hard, for those in the North Bay with little money, and few opportunities... who get the leftovers after all the developers and wineries have taken what they want.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    rossmen

My name is Ross Mendenhall, you know my brother (mad miles on wacco). There is nothing anonymous about me or you. I thought you trashed hopkins when you wrote that she paid farmworkers 10.50/hr with no housing or health and backed it up by an old ad for an intern position.

Thanks for confirming who you are and work for. I really am just a 5th district resident trying to figure out who to vote for, don't you live in petaluma? I am a trades person and part time farmer who had lucky timing investing in rentals while working hard and raising lots of children. We work with the same people, in different ways. Didn't Carrillo get some of the same labor endorsements as evans? I voted for him the first time and have regretted it since.

I get that evans has been a big supporter of public labor unions who you presently work for. Do you think she would challenge County managers who are paid so much more than seiu workers who provide the services we citizens need?

Rossman I am very lucky to work for the labor movement and proud to work for seiu1021 in particular....
    Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2016 at 12:04 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    rossmen

You are so protective of those who advocate for the same people whom you would have move on, because they don't have what it takes to deal with the big picture of soco real estate... lift up your blinders tommy, what would you do?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    This is an unfair and unkind characterization of Lisa. She works long and hard, for those in the North Bay with little money, and few opportunities... who get the leftovers after all the developers and wineries have taken what they want.

11. TopTop #7

My name is Ross mendenhall, ...
    Hi Ross!
    Yeah I know and like good old Miles on FB- he's a real smarty pants and he is also a kindred spirit. Labor did not support Efren Carrillo the first time. We supported Rue Furch. We did endorse Efren the second time he ran but then he stabbed labor in the back by siding with the business alliance and the anti union North Coast Builders Exchange on a very important vote about local hire and union apprenticeship. Hopkins is Efren Carrillo redux and though she seems nice enough as a person her backers and endorsers are the same as Efren's...

I know Noreen will speak up on the wealth inequality and disparate incomes between management and rank and file. She has in the past. She has also spoken up against big corporate interests including wineries and developers so I know she will continue to advocate for workers and the environment. Oh and the ad I posted wasn't old - and though she called it an " internship" it was an ad for farmworkers.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2016 at 12:05 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #8
    tommy

Here's your comment I was referring to:

"Iisa, as a long time employee and supporter of labor groups in soco I understand why you advocate for Noreen and trash her best known competition. Just want everyone else here to know this too."

There is an implied criticism of labor groups, and those that support them, in your comment. Fair enough, we all have our opinions. However, when you look undercover at the history of labor unions in the US, from the 1950s when 30% of blue collar labor belonged to them, to today, when 7% belong to them, you get a picture of the forces that have created increased financial inequality in our country:

- loss of mfg jobs to China
    - right wing funding against unions: Koch Brothers, Gov Walker, etc
    - right wing funding for privatization (aka neo liberalism) and reduction in the public sector

As for those who you refer to who "don't have what it takes to deal with the big picture of soco real estate", the same argument can be used against justice for anyone who's not healthy, rich, white, and male.
    You are so protective of those who advocate for the same people whom you would have move on, because they don't have what it takes to deal with the big picture of soco real estate... lift up your blinders tommy, what would you do?

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

15. TopTop #9
    rossmen

No critique of labor or labor groups intended. As far as people having to move on I was referring to your comments. I really do respect your intelligence, success, and experience tommy. That's why I keep asking you what you think local governments could do about the housing shortage. At this point my best guess of your thoughts is... nothing more than we do now. This makes me sad.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    ...There is an implied criticism of labor groups, and those that support them, in your comment. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-08-2016 at 03:20 PM.

16. TopTop #10
    rossmen

Hi lisa, miles thinks very highly of you, and I agree you come across as a smart, hardworking, straight talking, powerful fierce advocate for labor : )

Do you think Noreen would carry an seiu proposal to cap management pay to a certain multiplier of average pay? That would be cool. My experience is rank and file are knowledgeable, caring and efficient, if not, you get promoted.

I don't think either of us know the full profile of Foggy farms labor practices. I do question some of the ways organized labor has challenged internships and volunteer workers at farms, nonprofits, and schools. Also does hopkins really make over 6 figures from an 18 acre organic farm? That part of your description is hard to believe and if true, is incredibly impressive! Any evidence?

I know what Noreen says. What troubles me is her attitude about the half trillion thats unfunded of the county pension and health promise. The only way to keep covering that is to welcome big money with open arms : (

Hi Ross!
    Yeah I know and like good old Miles on FB- he's a real smarty pants and he is also a kindred spirit. ...
    I know Noreen will speak up on the wealth inequality and disparate incomes between management and rank and file. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-08-2016 at 03:22 PM.

17. TopTop #11

Hi lisa, miles thinks very highly of you, and I agree you come across as a smart, hardworking, straight talking, powerful fierce advocate for labor : )...
    Thanks for the kind words. I would worry less about the manufactured "pension crisis" ( check out the county's pension retirement board SCERA and you can see that our pension fund is funded at 80% which is healthy).

I'd be more worried about the Real Estate backers and developers and big wineries at the Sonoma Business Alliance buying another seat on the board. Lynda seems like a nice person but the fact is that these folks in Real Estate and land development don't endorse candidates because they are " organic farmers" Neither does establishment and business lobbyist Eric Koenigshofer. There is a reason they support Lynda Hopkins.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-09-2016 at 01:54 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #12
    tommy

Ross … govt can always do more to support affordable housing. It's all about commitment & money. There's a recent local example of MTC (Met Trans Comm) working w local companies & govt in Santa Clara Co to build affordable housing near transit lines.

Locally, Hugh Frutell told the story in a recent PD article I posted here, of a RE document tax that was passed to fund affordable housing, but it's been whittled away so only 20% goes to housing now. Santa Rose Housing Authority has 2 affordable housing projects approved, but lacking some millions in funding from the City, which is a key piece of the puzzle.

Airbnb & others have taken away a lot of aff housing, but our Co govt was unfortunately unable to pass a moratorium.

Of course, these measures will only supply a small fraction of the demand. Mega forces in the economy, hollowing out of the middle class, lack of good jobs (who can pay the rent making $15/hr?), neo liberal shrinking of govt & housing funding will constrain housing rights for years. By the way, I think u did the plumbing in my house, working w Chuck …

... really do respect your intelligence, success, and experience Tommy. That's why I keep asking you what you think local governments could do about the housing shortage. At this point my best guess of your thoughts is... nothing more than we do now. This makes me sad.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-09-2016 at 01:56 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: