Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Diane Darling

Check your voter registration data now!

After the Arizona clusterfuck, I decided to check on my own registration, just to be sure I don't have a moment of red fury when I'm oops-denied my vote for Bernie. So I logged in to the SoCoReg of Voters and clicked on the link for records.(https://secure.sonoma-county.org/vot....aspx?sid=1070)

Surprise! Can't get in! Tried with a different browser. Same thing. Can't establish a secure connection. Over several days I tried several times. Nada. Monday I called them. The nice lady professed no knowledge of any fuckup there, said she'd report it, and looked up my records by hand. I'm good.

This is so lame. We know our county IT is so 20th century, but, pul-eese!

Suggestion: everybody call in (707 565 6800) and check your registration. Make sure you're registered Dem or Rep or you won't be able to vote in the primary. Ask the nice lady to fix the damn website. Say thank-you.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 03-30-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    theindependenteye

Re: Check your voter registration data now!

Elizabeth here --

I did the same thing with the same results. "Cannot establish a secure connection." And on the phone a very nice lady checked and assured me that my registration was Dem, also CB's. While I'm not primed to suspect shenanigans, I think the website should function as stated, and I think all sorts of folks should check their registrations and then communicate with somebody that the website is effed up. And then follow up, repeatedly. We are continually assured that the "modern" way of doing things is our best assurance of accuracy. My approach is not to say "You retarded dweeb, fix it!" but rather, "I know y'all are proud of your system and want it to be perfect. Right now, there's a glitch. I know you're working on it, but can you give me a clue how I'll know when it's fixed?"

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    rekarp

I had no problem verifying my registration online using the link you provided below.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Diane Darling: View Post
    After the Arizona clusterfuck, I decided to check on my own registration, .... So I logged in to the SoCoReg of Voters and clicked on the link for records.(https://secure.sonoma-county.org/vot....aspx?sid=1070)....

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Stuart

Democratic Primary registration: PLEASE READ!

If you want to vote in the Democratic primary, you can ONLY do so if you are registered as a Democrat below, you MUST REQUEST a Dem ballot if you have declined a party preference
    PERIOD

https://secure.sonoma-county.org/vot....aspx?sid=1070

Many think if they are an “independent” they can vote in there Dem primary. THEY CAN NOT. Because the American Independent Party, some fringe group, is where you are probably now registered, and the Dems do not allow them to vote in the Dem primary anyway. Green, Blue, Yellow, whoever other parties can not vote in the primary either

Best to call the county, they are very helpful, and make sure you are registered correctly
    PLEASE PASS THIS ON!
    Last edited by Barry; 04-01-2016 at 09:00 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    diaba

Re: Democratic Primary registration: PLEASE READ!

how do we check how we're registered, do we have to call?

thx

10. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's the official information from: https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/pol...ty-preference/

No Party Preference Information

Voting in Presidential Primary Elections

Each political party has the option of allowing people who register to vote without stating a political party preference ("no party preference" voters - formerly known as "decline-to-state" voters) to vote in their presidential primary election. A political party must notify the Secretary of State's office whether or not they will allow no party preference voters to vote in their presidential primary election 135 days before the election.

If a no party preference voter wishes to vote in the presidential primary election of a political party who has notified the Secretary of State that they will allow no party preference voters to vote in their party's primary, a no party preference voter would simply ask their county elections office or ask a poll worker at their polling place for a ballot for that political party. A voter may not request more than one party's ballot.

If a no party preference voter does not request such a ballot, they will be given a nonpartisan ballot, containing only the names of candidates for voter-nominated offices and local nonpartisan offices and measures to be voted upon at that presidential primary election.

For the June 7, 2016, Presidential Primary Election the following parties notified the Secretary of State that they will allow No Party Preference voters to request their party’s presidential ballot:

• American Independent Party
    • Democratic Party
    • Libertarian Party

You can verify your voter registration status, including party, here.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-02-2016 at 10:02 AM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by diaba: View Post
    how do we check how we're registered, do we have to call?
    You can verify your voter registration status, including party, here.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    haute flash Jan

I changed my affiliation outside of Whole Foods a few weeks ago, and got a postcard in the mail with the party I changed to. When I looked myself up on the website, it could not find me by my last 4 of my social. It did find me by the last 4 of my driver's license. But, it showed the old party affiliation. I called them and they said that they only update the website's info once a month. He could not explain why the site failed to look me up by the social. So, just more information for you all. If you change your affiliation it might not show up for a month.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-02-2016 at 10:08 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    joloseb

Yes, I've been told by the Sonoma County Clerk- Registrar of Voters that the website for checking whether or not you are registered has a variable lag time, and not really reliable in a timely way (considering deadlines).

Gosh, you'd think we'd put our best experts in there to fix something as important as voter registration.

As mentioned above, you can call your
    Sonoma County Clerk- Registrar of Voters, 435 Fiscal Drive, Santa Rosa, CA. 95406 at (707) 565-6800
    and simply tell them, "I need to confirm my registration".

They are very nice, usually answer after the first or second ring, and are a live person, (not a switchboard).

As an option, you can GO to the Clerk's office IN PERSON, to register and confirm in one swoop!

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #10
    scamperwillow

I couldn't get in with my Soc Sec # but got in with my drivers license #. Good way to find out what district you are in if you are wondering.

Also, be sure to register Democrat if you want to vote democrat in the primary.

And if you are registered, you should have received your request for absentee ballot in the mail. I got mine yesterday.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Just tried, was able to get in and get my info. Also registered, whew! Just to let you know that the site's working now.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #11
    Ridgetop

[Edited] You can also be registered as an American Independent and still have your vote count in the primary as democrat (the democrats are honoring this) I called and found out this is so.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2016 at 12:51 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

22. TopTop #12
    scamperwillow

Do we really have any American Independents around her?

"The
    American Independent Party (AIP) is a far right political party of the United States that was established in 1967 by Bill Shearer and his wife, Eileen Knowland Shearer, a cousin of the late Republican U. S. Senator William F. Knowland of California. The AIP is best known for its nomination of former Governor George Wallace of Alabama, who carried five states in the 1968 presidential election running on a segregationist platform against Richard M. Nixon and Hubert H. Humphrey. The party split in 1976 into the modern American Independent Party and the American Party. From 1992 until 2008, the party was the California affiliate of the national Constitution Party. Its exit from the Constitution Party led to a leadership dispute during the 2008 election."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ridgetop: View Post
    You can also be registered as an American Independant and still have your vote count in the primary as democrat (the democrats are honoring this) I called and found out this is so.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2016 at 12:45 PM.

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13
    Ridgetop

Yes thank you :) I am registered incorrectly and need to change it it quickly now! Yikes!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Diane Darling: View Post
    After the Arizona clusterfuck, I decided to check on my own registration, ... (https://secure.sonoma-county.org/vot....aspx?sid=1070)

...Suggestion: everybody call in (707 565 6800) and check your registration. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2016 at 12:47 PM.

25. TopTop #14
    Ridgetop

I meant to write that ones vote can be included in the primary's with the democrats if you are registered as an Independent (not American Independent)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Do we really have any American Independents around her?...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2016 at 12:52 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by:

27. TopTop #15
    scamperwillow

You probably meant Decline to State - or No Party Preference.
    Read this:

Want to register as an independent? Don't get confused by the AIP

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ridgetop: View Post
    I meant to write that ones vote can be included in the primary's with the democrats if you are registered as an Independent (not American Independant)
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2016 at 12:48 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by: