Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #151
    scamperwillow

Re: What do you think of Lynda Hopkins?

I just looked up Erik on Facebook and found we have 50 mutual friends. That makes him pretty real to me. Is that what you are looking for?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    ...Ep can prove he is real by a reputable reference. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-03-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #152
    rossmen

I was hoping for someone like you who actually knows him. I am not on facebook. It actually does not matter to me whether someone writes under their own name or several names, though knowing who someone is does help in understanding what they write.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    I just looked up Erik on Facebook and found we have 50 mutual friends. That makes him pretty real to me. Is that what you are looking for?
    Last edited by Barry; 05-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #153
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Notice that Erik's FB profile contains no photos and there's nothing there that would say it isn't somebody's sockpuppet.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #154
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Notice that Erik's FB profile contains no photos and there's nothing there that would say it isn't somebody's sockpuppet.
    How do you get that many Facebook friends with no one knowing who you are?
    Last edited by Barry; 05-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.

8. TopTop #155
    Erik Perez

Sorry to disappoint you Barry with my lack of photos on FB. In all honesty I really only use FB to keep up with events and to read interesting articles. Not much of a poster even though I've had my account for several years.

I'd also like to point out, the real question we should be asking is 'Who's the real Lynda Hopkins?'

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #156
    podfish

How do you get that many Facebook friends with no one knowing who you are?
    ok, way OT. But it's a subject I'm pretty interested in as an old guy who's got to keep up as best as possible.

On the internet no-one knows you're a dog, right? A lot of people accept friend requests all the time. They're not necessarily friends who would help you move or loan you money. Those of us (and I'm including me) whose intincts were formed by having real friends and who kept personal phone-books where you had tabbed sections for each letter of the alphabet will often infer an implied context that no longer exists.
    That being said - if you have a lot of 'shared FB friends' and you're very restrictive about who your FB friends are, AND they're equally disinclined to accept random friend requests, that does serve as an indication that we don't have a sock puppet here.

Also, this is a small pond. I don't expect a major effort to insinuate a puppet into your circle of friends happened, I can't see it being worth someone's time. But a cunning phisher could pretty easily sweet-talk a group of people into accepting FB friendship without any F2F contact.

Sorry to use you as an example, Erik - I don't think you're a puppet. Or an internet-savvy dog.

11. TopTop #157

I don't think Erik is a sock puppy...

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #158
    rossmen

So who do you know who is real on wacco? Fb is not the way to go. All your life in soco, politically active we all know. Rio Nido is cool and so, linda hopkins is a no go. This thread is a blow. It's fun to faux.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #159

So who do you know who is real on wacco? Fb is not the way to go. All your life in soco, politically active we all know. Rio Nido is cool and so, linda hopkins is a no go. This thread is a blow. It's fun to faux.
    Ross if you put as much energy into digging into the greenwashing by business and developers in the Hopkins Campaign as you do into investigating me and Eric Perez, you might see how she has brought in over 100k from the same real estate interests and wineries that brought us Efren Carrillo. Some of those same wineries that donated to Hopkins are currently known for having events and not complying with codes.

I find the disingenuosness of this campaign and the attempts at greenwashing very distasteful. It's especially galling to see people who have no problem questioning the public relations lies of the food and consumer industry being so willing to abandon their critical thinking when it comes to politics.

Look at the evidence: Since when has Sonoma Business Alliance or North Coast Builders Exhange been an advocate for organic farming or our environment? Linda's donor list is here. Look through all the donations- don't take my word-
    https://campaigndocs.sonoma-county.o...0160428F12.pdf

16. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

17. TopTop #160
    jbox

Lisa, I have a question: Are you in the county employees union? Is Scamperwillow? Is Erik? If so I know why you support Noreen. Pension deals in the past were really just too good of a deal and it is choking the county's budget and taking dollars away from essential services. Who else gets pensions like that? The police and firefighters are retiring after 30 years in their early 50's with 3% per year, 90% of the highest salary for the rest of their life, and their spouse's life.

Noreen likes this deal, voted for it and has the support of those employees who, sadly, vote with their pocketbook. Most people don't have a big pension, we have to plan for retirement, save, invest. Is this why you support Noreen? Then don't try to distract from your motives by smearing the other candidates with who supports them. Noreen has taken $$$ from all these folks too.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-04-2016 at 11:09 AM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #161
    beshiva

i might have thought Tom Lynch, you were genuine, and you really cared about 5th District, until i heard your nagging, ongoing endorsement of Lynda Hopkins at the forum in Sebastopol!
    you musta had some thought that we are smarta than that?...but, you could not help yourself, and you let it all hang out...you were not there for yourself, because you knew you weren't electable, SO, you musta thought i better push Lynda Hopkins. Unfortunately, you did not do your homework and Would YOU really support someone who had a driving force behind them that reeked of Big Business and Wine Absolution?
    i might have thought you really cared till you got on Lynda Hopkins bandwagon- without allowing fifth district constituents to watch the fireworks for themselves.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    Erik Perez...Welcome to Wacco! Who are you really? Lisa Maldonado? Marty? Ernie (no Ernie would post under his real name)... So Lynda is accusing YOU of a "dirty campaign"? It's funny...Doesn't appear to be anyone named Erik Perez in Sonoma County, but whoever you are, welcome aboard :).

20. TopTop #162
    riverosprey

Chris,

I think you missed my previous comments to your comments...I will re-post them below. Sorry you don't feel I'm genuine, and that my 35 years fighting for the environment and ALL the people of the 5th District. Let's see if the rest of the voters share you and Lisa's opinions.

kind regards,

Tom Lynch

-----------------------------------------------------

Chris thank you for your public service, my goal is to make the system sustainable, and be able to continue to fund your retirement. I like Lynda Hopkins more than Noreen (mind you I like Noreen as a person, just not as our Supervisor), and we share some similar ideas.

But I actually think I have a shot at being in the top two... Last time I was on the ballot in the Fifth against my friend Wes Chesbro in 2012, I got 5500 votes. The top two vote getters will probably be in the 7000-9000 range. Beings that two of the top candidates have never voted in the District, I think I have a shot (kind of like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber asking the pretty girl if there's a chance she'll go out with him :).

respect and kind regards Chris!

Tom Lynch - www.tomlynchforsupervisor.com
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

i attended the forum in Sebastopol. It was evident that Tom you were there more for Lynda Hopkins than for yourself. i mean for a moment, some of us wanted to get up and ASK, whaddya doin'??, seemed like many of your responses, HAD to include, "what me and Lynda want"...and i have to say this approach did nothing but backfire on you. Sorry, but i think people can make up their own minds without you being a cheering section on the forums!

let everyone stand on their own ok. Is it because you Know you are not going to be a real option when it comes to vote that you have to put in a plug for Hopkins. I actually liked some of the stuff you had to say. Though, you seem to harp an awful lot on pensions. You know, those folks who already put their blood sweat and tears into their jobs, but there is not enough left for them. (hey, while you are at it, could you ask the BOS to take a pay-cut? it's killing uS!)

i actually enjoyed listening to everyone and frankly, though she probably doesn't have a remote chance, Marion was quite refreshing. Obvious, she isn't beholden to anyone and she can say what she wishes, she does and her forthright, non-manipulative approach put me at ease.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    i might have thought Tom Lynch, you were genuine, and you really cared about 5th District, until i heard your nagging, ongoing endorsement of Lynda Hopkins at the forum in Sebastopol!
    you musta had some thought that we are smarta than that?...but, you could not help yourself, and you let it all hang out...you were not there for yourself, because you knew you weren't electable, SO, you musta thought i better push Lynda Hopkins. Unfortunately, you did not do your homework and Would YOU really support someone who had a driving force behind them that reeked of Big Business and Wine Absolution?
    i might have thought you really cared till you got on Lynda Hopkins bandwagon- without allowing fifth district constituents to watch the fireworks for themselves.

21. TopTop #163
    rossmen

Lisa I am a curious person with a good memory. I get what you are writing, over and over and over... your choice to not answer serious questions asked of you, to not debate topics you clearly care and know a lot about, I support. I am here for my own education and entertainment, and you delight me. No offense intended : )

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    Ross if you put as much energy into digging into the greenwashing by business and developers in the Hopkins Campaign as you do ...

22. TopTop #164
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Lisa, I have a question: Are you in the county employees union? Is Scamperwillow? Is Erik? If so I know why you support Noreen. Pension deals in the past were really just too good of a deal and it is choking the county's budget and taking dollars away from essential services. ...
    OK, Lisa, since you and the others have declined to answer my question, I'll answer it. You are head of SEIU, the union for county workers. You care deeply for your pension and that is why you support Noreen Evans. I may have a problem with the pension deal and what it means to the financial solvency of the county but I have no problem with you doing your job and advocating for your union members. But rather than come clean about your motives you want to smear Hopkins who might not look as favorably on the pension deal as Noreen. So you accuse Hopkins of being the puppet of powerful ag and industry folks, which you care very little about. Sounds like you have the makings of a politician.

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #165

I replied to your questions a few pages back. I said I was proud to work for SEIU and the working class. And I told you the average pension for our rank and file workers.

I'm very proud and fortunate to get to work in social justice. If you are trying to shame me with anti pension posts it won't work. I believe that all workers deserve a pension and a dignified old age and I fight for that every day.

25. TopTop #166
    markwjam

thank you for sending the link to the contributor list...Mark

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa Maldonado: View Post
    Last edited by Barry; 05-05-2016 at 01:41 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #167
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Lisa, I have a question: Are you in the county employees union? Is Scamperwillow? ...
    I am in no union. I have no pension. Wish I did. I support Noreen because I have watched her committed brave fight for the causes I believe in for 20 years. She is the real deal and has the very clear record to prove it.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #168
    Ernieman

Somehow this thread zinged off into County retirement. Here is the link to the County retirement financials and actuarials. Good luck as lots of information. I get $400 per month retirement from Sonoma County.

https://scretire.org/Financial/Investment-Performance/

The County retirement fund is in good shape and 93% funded due to steps taken by the Board of Supervisors, like increasing employee contributions. The County is not PERS which is still troubled.The collapse of Wall Street affected all retirement systems in the Country. You might say Wall Street collapsed Main Street including retirement plans. Sonoma County due to good management survived the catastrophe.

I am happy to discuss politics but pension funds, not. I will leave that to the folks who take exception to the notion that someone who works for years and gets retirement actually earned and deserves that retirement pay. Splashy to talk about a few Department Heads who have earned top dollar and occasionally make headlines but the ordinary civil servant rank and file worker cannot exist solely on County retirement. And, thank heavens for SEIU, unions are the backbone of the working class. I have seen what "management" can do without union protection.

Which candidate has the most level approach to County employees and retirement? The most knowledge, experience and ability to understand an actuarial? You are dealing with people's lives twenty or thirty years into the future. Balance, consistency, good Retirement Board and lots of financial reports over many years are needed to keep the system solvent. I applaud the Retirement Board and Board of Supervisors for getting control of our retirement system after Wall Street nearly took us down.

30. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

31. TopTop #169
    rossmen

Blame wall Street all you want. I don't trust this link cause its a vested interest. Are independent account reports delayed, perhaps because of the new accounting rules? Evans is the most responsible and least accountable of 5 choices. Her choice of not to address the pension question calls into question her ability to deliver on the environmental progressive agenda, she said in your back yard that she would say yes to development, because she is smart enough to know the county will need lots more money to cover your $400, I assume you will be OK without it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ernieman: View Post

32. TopTop #170
    Ken Sund

Blame wall Street all you want. I don't trust this link cause its a vested interest. Are independent account reports delayed, perhaps because of the new accounting rules? Evans is the most responsible and least accountable of 5 choices. Her choice of not to address the pension question calls into question her ability to deliver on the environmental progressive agenda, she said in your back yard that she would say yes to development, because she is smart enough to know the county will need lots more money to cover your $400, I assume you will be OK without it.
    Wall street at the national level but our local realtors and no doc. lenders deserve some responsibility for putting people into loans and homes they could not afford. Up and up went the values. Up and up went the commissions. Then it all crashed. The local real estate and lending professionals must have spent some sleepless nights considering all those clients who lost their savings in this fiasco.
    Ken Sund.

33. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

34. TopTop #171
    scamperwillow

Boy Ernie (or Earnie as Tom likes to call you) - you must be getting rich on that! =;D

...I get $400 per month retirement from Sonoma County. ...

35. TopTop #172
    markwjam

Wonderfully said....definitely folks who have worked for years deserve a decent pension...
    it's often sensationalist headlines that make people think otherwise...
    as well as the propaganda of the right wing greed machine's attack on public employees...
    which it looks like the person who complained about the pensions, may have bought into..

Mark
    ...https://scretire.org/Financial/Investment-Performance/

The County retirement fund is in good shape and 93% funded due to steps taken by the Board of Supervisors, like increasing employee contributions. ...

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #173
    rossmen

In the 5th district property values are approaching precrash levels despite how much more difficult it is to get a loan. County property tax revenue has largely recovered, but 100+mill more go's into retirement funding. The story of this fiasco is part of evans story. She is supposed to be a budget expert, but she doesn't want to talk about it. I don't get the pot for potholes thing. Is she counting on increased local sales tax with legalized marijuana?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ken Sund: View Post
    Wall street at the national level but our local realtors and no doc. lenders deserve some responsibility for putting people into loans and homes they could not afford. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-06-2016 at 01:45 PM.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #174
    rossmen

Pension plans are politics, and you are discussing them, I assume not for evans, who won't. I don't assume evans has the most knowledge and ability to understand actuarials because she has proven through action that she was an idiot and other politicians have worked hard and spent their political capital to begin to fix the mistakes she and her cohort made.

Who knows if the county retirement system is in good shape? 93% is self interested reporting. The real numbers reveal the county is paying big time for early 21st century idiocy (after you retired), and it's sucking the juice out of the general fund.

You were fine with the pension plan in your day. Are you really OK with etard getting 3k? At least evans voted that new hires won't get her give away.

...The County retirement fund is in good shape and 93% funded due to steps taken by the Board of Supervisors, like increasing employee contributions. ...I am happy to discuss politics but pension funds, not. ...Which candidate has the most level approach to County employees and retirement? The most knowledge, experience and ability to understand an actuarial?

40. TopTop #175
    tommy

I ran into some old friends, really intelligent West County progressive types at Aromas last night... who told me they really like Lynda. I was shocked. They know that she's backed by bad people like developers & corporate wineries, but it didn't make any difference. They think that Noreen benefited from her vote to increase County pensions, & is now being paid back by SEIU supporting her. They don't trust her, because she is not addressing the pension issue, although it has some big consequences in what the County can and cannot pay for.

41. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

42. TopTop #176
    riverosprey

Thank you Tommy for your insightful comments on this thread.

Around 2003 the Sonoma Board of Supervisors and the City of Santa Rosa voted for 50% unfunded, retroactive increases in pensions, from who I refer to as the "first wave of retiring baby boomers". (nothing for the 1000's of retirees prior to 2003) Noreen not only voted for this on SR city council, but went on to the State Legislature receiving $Millions in campaign contributions from unions, pushing and rubberstamping every piece of legislation the unions wrote (100% labor approval rating). "She's for us!"

She also received huge contributions from Indian tribes, agriculture interests including many local wineries (Balletto), attorneys and numerous PACS that she now tries to taint others with. By the way the Realtor Pac and others have given similar donations to my friends Susan Gorin and Shirlee Zane.

Guilt by association? Is this the best Noreen and Lisa Maldonado can do? (I believe the hit pieces are already printed and will be mailed out soon) Throughout the candidate forums I hear all the candidates talk about the pension problem with the exception of Noreen. I also hear Noreen say too much of what she has done, and not enough of what she will do. I hear from Noreen too many old ideas, that she has been part of the last twenty years, that created the mess we are in, with massive cuts to mental health services, social programs, housing, roads and infrastructure.

I like Noreen as a person, but if I am not in the top two after the primary, it would be very difficult for me to support Noreen if she is.

Tom Lynch - www.tomlynchforsupervisor.com

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    ... They think that Noreen benefited from her vote to increase County pensions, & is now being paid back by SEIU supporting her. They don't trust her, because she is not addressing the pension issue, although it has some big consequences in what the County can and cannot pay for.

43. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

44. TopTop #177
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

... I also hear Noreen say too much of what she has done, and not enough of what she will do. ...
    I'm sure you've stated this before, Tom, but what would you do at this point to fix/ameliorate the pension situation at this point?

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

46. TopTop #178
    riverosprey

Good question Barry...sorry for the long response but this is a complicated issue.

State law requires prior to any retirement benefit, the County does an Actuarial Study to determine the cost of this benefit. Prior to voting for this increase the Board of Supervisors is required by law to publicly notice the increase, and to vote on the increase. The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors did none of the above. We need an investigation and if these increases were done illegally, they need to be rescinded to what they are for the 1000's of Sonoma County retirees who did not get the increase, and the next generation of new hires who have their retirements now set by state law even less than those retiring before 2003.

Meanwhile, since 2008 the average salary/benefit of the top 500 County workforce, the upper tier, saw their average salary/benefit go from $177,000/year to $220,000/year (go to www.transparentcalifornia.com and download all of the Sonoma County salary/benefit in an Excel format). We can no longer afford the services Sonoma County once provided, and must reinvent how we do things, with local government becoming a convener leveraging our resources to optimal effect, enlisting and involving volunteers, non-profits, faith based groups and private business; to restore essential services local government once was able to provide for generations.

That is the essence of my campaign...
    along with a dramatic increase of "Junior Second Dwelling Units" in the 35,000 vacant bedrooms throughout Sonoma County, with zero impact fees, no hook-up charges and no affordability covenants for owner occupies homes that want to create a small second unit (or live in the second unit and rent the remainder of their house.

The problem Barry, is we are giving all of our public servants, including special districts, schools, colleges, even PG&E, a salary and retirement benefit for one years service, without fully funding the benefit. Any private industry that had similar unfunded debts to Sonoma Countys', would be bankrupt.

Last year SCERA (Sonoma County Employee Retirement System) missed their guaranteed rate of return of 7.5%, by 6 %---in lay terms on a $336 Million payroll for 3700 employees, we incurred a $200 Million increase in "unfunded liability" that will be paid back at 7.5% interest over the next 20 years ($400 Million). Why is my daughter (12 years old), responsible for paying Rod Dole's $260,000/year retirement?

Note below some of Ken Churchill with New Sonoma's observations from last week's latest SCERA Actuarial:
    ==================================================================

Hi Everyone:

Yesterday the SCERA actuarial report for 2015 was posted. Here is a link to the page: https://scretire.org/Financial/Actuarial-Reports/

Here is a summary of the damage:

1. On page ii – The employer contribution increased from 18.76% to 20.38% of payroll while the employee contribution, as usual, hardly changed.
    2. On page iv – The employer contribution increased from $64 million in 2014 to $69 million in 2015.
    3. On page vii – The funded ratio dropped from 91.4% in 2014 to 84.7% in 2015. However, the assets include a total of $600 million worth of pension obligation bond funds which were added to the assets in 1994, 2003 and 2010. Without these funds and the $600 million in investment income they earned, the pension fund today would be only 40% funded.
    4. On page vii – the unfunded liability using the market value of assets increased from $217 million in 2014 to $413 million in 2015, for an increase of almost 100% or $200 million. This is enough money to repave 800 miles or 60% of our roads.
    5. On page ix - the average annual employee compensation increased from $82,718 in 2014 to $83,399 in 2015.
    6. On page 4 - the chart shows that benefits paid per year have tripled from $52 million in 2006 to $150 million in 2015.
    7. On page 6 – the expected return at 7.5% was $161 million and the actual return was $34.5 million.
    8. On page 9 - the return on investments for the year was 1.37% and over the last 10 years has averaged 5.2% per year, 2.3% below the assumed rate. On $2.3 billion dollars that created an average shortfall of $53 million per year, enough to repave 200 miles of roads per year.
    9. On page 73 - the POB debt service is 14% of payroll. Adding that to the 20% employer contribution the total cost for pensions have reached 34% of payroll. This is 10 times what the average private sector worker receives as an employer contribution for his or her retirement.
    10. On page 77 and 78 - the annual payment on the unfunded liability for General and Safety employees is $35.5 million. Adding on the pension bond debt service of $44 million in 2015, the total debt service on the pension fund is $79.5 million per year or $217,000 per day.
    Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Ken Churchill
    1574 Olivet Road, Santa Rosa
    Phone: 707-578-3403
    [email protected]
    www.newsonoma.org
    ===========================================================

I'm sure you've stated this before, Tom, but what would you do at this point to fix/ameliorate the pension situation at this point?
    Last edited by Barry; 05-09-2016 at 03:12 PM.

47. Gratitude expressed by:

48. TopTop #179
    riverosprey

P.S. Check out the retirement difference before 2003 and after, look what Ernie is getting compared to Mike (Ernie are you mistaken saying you're getting $400/month? You do know your retirement is public information?). Former Sheriff Mark Ihde once was quoted in the Press Democrat saying these benefits are obscene. Every department in Sonoma County has seen their staffing level gutted as senior employees retire and we can't afford to rehire.

Great sources of information are :

www.transparentcalifornia.com
    www.pensiontsunami.com
    www.newsonoma.com

Keep in mind some of the Supes added "service credit" to their retirement...and conservative budget hawk Paul Kelley started getting his retirement at 50 (2%@50 x #years worked), as opposed to Mike Reilly (3%@60 x #years worked). I believe all the retiree's below also receive an add'l $6000/year toward retiree medical. AND Social Security (I don't think Sebastopol or Santa Rosa provide retiree medical nor Social Security).
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand   Expand  
    Last edited by Barry; 05-09-2016 at 03:13 PM.

49. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

50. TopTop #180
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Good question Barry...sorry for the long response but this is a complicated issue....
    Thanks for the response, Tom, but that's all about where we are now and how we got here. Are you saying all there is to do now regarding pensions, is to figure out how to run the county government on less money while paying the pensions?

51. Gratitude expressed by: